Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FMguru posted:

farallon phoneNET adapter or gtfo scrub

with the resistor in the pass through port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I love piracy

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex was purpose built to make sharing media as simple as possible, what kind of “software installation issues” are your leeches running into that’s forcing you to construct this nightmare?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

probably that plex has increasingly become a nightmare as a piece of free software that has now become a business and needs to make money so they lock features like media sharing, HDR and hardware transcoding behind a monthly subscription

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
plex is awesome i love it. well worth the lifetime deal when it goes on sale. Have your crew split the cost, use watch together, done. no loving around with getting people to update their visual c++ libraries or adding things to windows firewall or whatever trash is involved with roll your own

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
so the gpg tools plugin for apple mail is now paid?

eh fine, $25 isnt too bad, it works fine, im also happy using thunderbird on macos, it was straightforward to pull my profile over from my linux laptop, but mail integration with everything is kinda nice

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

plex is awesome i love it. well worth the lifetime deal when it goes on sale. Have your crew split the cost, use watch together, done. no loving around with getting people to update their visual c++ libraries or adding things to windows firewall or whatever trash is involved with roll your own

easily worth the money

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

plex lifetime pass is $120 even without a sale, it's literally cheaper than a year of netflix. i got it years and years ago and i don't even have other people using my plex server

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
or be like me and run a giant loving server with 100+ TB of spinny disk behind it. $120 feels awfully cheap for what it does lol, an i have people streaming off mine most all the time

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

where da filez at lolololol

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

piracy is awesome and i am very concerned kids are growing up without the tools or wherewithal to share the wealth

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

chaosbreather posted:

piracy is awesome and i am very concerned kids are growing up without the tools or wherewithal to share the wealth

and they're going to be computer stupid too cuz they dont keep downloading trojans and malware off napster or random search results, loving their 98se/xp install, having to flatten&reinstall, then learning how not to do that again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

the one problem i have with the resurgence in media piracy is the return of those tedious fucks who learned how to torrent poo poo and make it their entire personality

Apr 7, 2003

njsykora posted:

the one problem i have with the resurgence in media piracy is the return of those tedious fucks who learned how to torrent poo poo and make it their entire personality

My brother has some kind of Dell Poweredge server in his basement attached to a massive NAS running multiple VMs pulling poo poo off Usenet

Seems like a lot of effort to me but I applaud him for his dedication.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

njsykora posted:

having enough free time to both janitor and watch thousands of hours of video content self-selects this group of people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its so weird that alt.binaries.* is still a thing

can you even access it anywhere without a subscription? why are you paying to pirate stuff idgi

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My brother has some kind of Dell Poweredge server in his basement attached to a massive NAS running multiple VMs pulling poo poo off Usenet

Seems like a lot of effort to me but I applaud him for his dedication.

It’s really not all that much effort if you know what you want to watch. The tooling is pretty mature.

Streaming services also provide easy access to a mind boggling amount of content though. Shame about the lovely interfaces.

Apr 7, 2003

tk posted:

It’s really not all that much effort if you know what you want to watch. The tooling is pretty mature.

Streaming services also provide easy access to a mind boggling amount of content though. Shame about the lovely interfaces.

I don't care enough to even finish television shows I start watching anymore, I admire his dedication to, as said below, janitoring and watching thousands of hours of video but good lord

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea i keep finding new stuff to download but i never get around to watching it

then my external 2tb hd died and i cant bring myself to care

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Carthag Tuek posted:

yea i keep finding new stuff to download but i never get around to watching it

then my external 2tb hd died and i cant bring myself to care

At some point I unplugged my machine to clean it or something and realized I didn't ever use it so just didn't plug it back in.

Aside from the time that I had to ebay a dvd of Trekkies because I couldn't find it streaming I don't miss it much.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

its so weird that alt.binaries.* is still a thing

can you even access it anywhere without a subscription? why are you paying to pirate stuff idgi

an eweka subscription is 3.99 euros a month for unlimited permanent high bitrate downloads of anything you want with no unskippable ads and the exact version you want. or you can go pay $95 a month for netflix, hulu, peacock, disney+, spotify, etc etc etc, still get ads on half of them, get garbage bitrate, have fake ads injected into the very frames of the show, not be able to watch your favorite movie a year later because somebody didn't sign a contract renewal, and have to put up with their editorial altering of films. Next

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I love when people get superior over how their way of getting this month's copy-paste marvel movie for free is better than yours

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

njsykora posted:

I love when people get superior over how their way of getting this month's copy-paste marvel movie for free is better than yours

I tried watching that movie about the dude with the arm rings and I couldn't finish it I was so bored.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
your recent presence in this subforum indicates that you're likely a paid shill for "legal" streaming services. are you james hetfield irl

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

njsykora posted:

I make mine by reassembling all the gifs that get posts to twitter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

an eweka subscription is 3.99 euros a month for unlimited permanent high bitrate downloads of anything you want with no unskippable ads and the exact version you want. or you can go pay $95 a month for netflix, hulu, peacock, disney+, spotify, etc etc etc, still get ads on half of them, get garbage bitrate, have fake ads injected into the very frames of the show, not be able to watch your favorite movie a year later because somebody didn't sign a contract renewal, and have to put up with their editorial altering of films. Next

or torrents are free and you dont even need an account and they still dont have ads

i can remember one time in 5 years that the thing i wanted to watch wasnt on basic sites like pirate bay or rargb etc

e: it was moron movies by len whatever his name is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the thing I remember about bit torrent is that people at school got letters from the it dept telling them to stop all the downloading

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah they gave up the whole dmca thing over than a decade ago

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
they still send out letters, it’s just that they gave up trying to sue i think

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

I tried watching that movie about the dude with the arm rings and I couldn't finish it I was so bored.

i liked the big chinese dragon that lives at the bottom of the lake.

don't really remember anything else about it

e: except the knockoff muni logo they put on the SF buses, and that the route the bus takes in the fight scene doesn't make any sense

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

e: except the knockoff muni logo they put on the SF buses, and that the route the bus takes in the fight scene doesn't make any sense
they filmed a lot of that on my block, the half-bus had an unmuffled v8 in it that was loud as gently caress

also of course it’s not a realistic muni route, it’s not like the could shut down stockton street for 6 hours to film. that would be funny though, especially if the bus driver did that “I’m running ahead of schedule, just going to sit here and idle for four minutes” trick they like to do

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mediaphage posted:

they still send out letters, it’s just that they gave up trying to sue i think

welp.. maybe my coop throws them out? i never got a letter* and i absolutely pirate everything

* i know someone who got one 2010-ish

e: could be a gdpr thing. i dont think joining a torrent, recording ip adresses, and then asking an isp for their subscribers counts as pertinent or whatever

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 25, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I just use rarbg because dmca lawyers have no teeth here and the only service to ever tell my ISP to send me a "pwease stop piwating our content :(" notice is HBO lol

Jonny 290 posted:

your recent presence in this subforum indicates that you're likely a paid shill for "legal" streaming services. are you james hetfield irl

can't be, hetfield stopped giving a poo poo about things like that when he got sober

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it does seem like more of a lars thing now that i think about it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah I guess he was real mad about the fact that people didn't want to pay twenty bucks to hear out-of-time drumming

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

akadajet posted:

the thing I remember about bit torrent is that people at school got letters from the it dept telling them to stop all the downloading

lol when my school got those letters the IT department would forward them along with the exact directions and form to fill out to get your network records locked under FERPA so that any legal action would be extremely annoying for lawyers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

it does seem like more of a lars thing now that i think about it

it was 100% a lars thing, he only stopped cause someone told him it was becoming a pr issue

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
despite now being a metalhead i've never really listened to any metallica because lars getting mad at piracy was my first expose to them and that lumped them in the "lame has-beens mad that they're past their peak" category in my head

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I just use rarbg because dmca lawyers have no teeth here and the only service to ever tell my ISP to send me a "pwease stop piwating our content :(" notice is HBO lol

hbo can get hosed. I have to pirate their poo poo because they locked the good stuff* away.

*sesame street for my one year old. the PBS app can only have 5 episodes at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Status report: 2021 Macbook 14 M1 Pro is still suiting all of my needs.