Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m jealous of the username jeopardamy, or I would be if I had been on Jeopardy and my name were Amy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HookShot posted:

The game I lost the category was "state birds" and the answer was "Baltimore Oriole" as the state bird of Maryland, but I didn't know that was a baseball team so all I could get from the clue (that asked for a two-word bird) was "oriole" because the clue said its name came from the latin for "gold" lol.

It is funny how easy Jeopardy sports questions are because they know most of the players and probably a decent chunk of the viewers don't know much about it since we're all nerds.

This was a triple stumper Final:

When translated, the full name of this Major League baseball team gets you a double redundancy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is funny how easy Jeopardy sports questions are because they know most of the players and probably a decent chunk of the viewers don't know much about it since we're all nerds.

When translated, the full name of this Major League baseball team gets you a double redundancy.

No idea what you mean.

https://youtu.be/h33u2eeVqXo

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean, yeah I don't know that. I looked up the answer and my reaction was, "Wait, I thought they made that up for that 90s movie Angels in the Outfield..."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I mean, yeah I don't know that. I looked up the answer and my reaction was, "Wait, I thought they made that up for that 90s movie Angels in the Outfield..."

Yeah if you know sports that's a 200 maybe 400 dollar clue but the writers know their contestant pool/audience.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I managed to sus that one out, and it only took me about 30 seconds. I figured it'd have to be Spanish, which narrows it down a bit.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Is anyone else here doing Alex Jacob's School of Trivia league? If you're not familiar, you can read about it on his Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/whoisalexjacob/

It's $8 a month, with a new season each month, and you can join anytime this week to catch up with the start of season 3.

I'm enjoying it as a fun little diversion. I take it less seriously than Learned League.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
No, I do Chris King's Loaded Questions though which is $5 a month and 10 questions. They're generally tough, too, I never know more than 2-3 of them.

For actual trivia games I just do LL and I started playing OQL this season.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The Southern Californian in me died a little when "Jacaranda" was a triple-stumper. Purple sidewalk season is one of our main seasons!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Literally the only reason I knew that is because my husband says allllllllllllll the time "if you haven't started studying for finals by the time the Jacaranda trees bloom, you're hosed"

(This was in Australia)

So of course I shout out "jacaranda" at the same time as he goes "jasmin... ah, gently caress"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
At least now I can listen to Bad Religion and know what those “Jacaranda boughs” are that are bending in the haze

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Baller move by Christine to go without her wig.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Now imagine what Mayim would have said about it!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPColin posted:

Now imagine what Mayim would have said about it!

Here's to hoping she makes it to the ToC tonight so Mayam has to state at her awkwardly

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t care that this isn’t jeopardy this is the worst thing ever

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1498823694269001728

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
how did the tournament of professors do ratingswise?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:stare:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Once I channel surfed onto a Wheel bonus round which was one word, category "thing"

GLO_E

The lady guessed "glove", that wasn't it, and she couldn't make another guess. I think I stared at the TV in shock for about five minutes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

Wheel of Fortune isn’t for people who are good at Wheel of Fortune.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

moonmazed posted:

how did the tournament of professors do ratingswise?

Actually averaged higher than the 2021 Tournament of Champions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

One time on Wheel of Fortune the board looked something like YES VIRGINIA _HERE IS A SAN_A CLAUS and the person said "where".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zesty posted:

Wheel of Fortune isn’t for people who are good at Wheel of Fortune.

There was a while where I was watching Wheel because it was on before J! But it just makes me and my roommate angry

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

skaboomizzy posted:

Once I channel surfed onto a Wheel bonus round which was one word, category "thing"

GLO_E

The lady guessed "glove", that wasn't it, and she couldn't make another guess. I think I stared at the TV in shock for about five minutes.

I could totally see that happening to me though.
A lot of times I'll just lock into the word I think it is and can't see the obvious one. Add the "being under the lights" pressure to that and I'm sure it would be easy to do.

Last night's thing was just hilariously awful though.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

:negative:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There was once a wheel of fortune where they had

A STREETCAR NA_ED DESIRE

And someone guessed K

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npox4Fsh3ew

apologies for the memey video, there used to be a better one but it's disappeared. Three morons

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

WHY??

Ugh.

The universe wants Mayim Bialik to host this show forever.

Also, I am loving awful at Wheel of Fortune.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

WHY??

Ugh.

The universe wants Mayim Bialik to host this show forever.

Also, I am loving awful at Wheel of Fortune.

In case you haven't noticed we live in hell.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Meanwhile, Tom Hanks is going, "I already did this sketch on SNL, Pat!"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I realized I should post this here. Fyi, Austin Rogers is doing a pub trivia tour / book signing. His first stop was here in St. Louis so we went and gave it a go with a few friends.

If he’s stopping at your city, would recommend. Super chill , personable , def no ego thing, and it was a really fun trivia (and very fast paced). He stayed and took pictures, signed books, etc too.

I wanted to ask him if he approved of Mayim or not but I chickened out on that one.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman is a chicken...or a duck...or a man.

News at 11

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

Duckman is a chicken...or a duck...or a man.

News at 11

All 3 are incorrect.

The answer is coward. Duckman is a coward.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know he's always been the lesser game show host and is generally a little sus, but honestly I think Pat Sajak has the right take here:

https://twitter.com/PatOnWheel/status/1499050877813870592

quote:

It always pains me when nice people come on our show to play a game and win some money and maybe fulfill a lifelong dream, and are then subject to online ridicule when they make a mistake or something goes awry.

Last night’s “Feather in your cap” puzzle was a case in point. Sitting at home, it seems incredible that they couldn’t solve it, but I knew in real time what was happening.

The first attempted solve was “Feather in your hat” which, by the way, is how a lot of people say it. So all three players thought it was a good solve, and were stunned when I said it was wrong.

Now imagine you’re on national TV, and you’re suddenly thrown a curve and you begin getting worried about looking stupid, and if the feather isn’t in your hat, where the heck can it be? You start flailing away looking for alternatives rather than synonyms for “hat.”

And, of course, when it’s solved, you want to crawl in a hole. I’ve been praised online for “keeping it together” and not making fun of the players. Truth is, all I want to do is help to get them through it and convince them that those things happen even to very bright people.

But mocking them online and calling them names? These are good people in a bad situation under a kind of stress that you can’t begin to appreciate from the comfort of your couch.

Good-natured laughter is one thing. Heck, they laughed at themselves. But, hey, cut them some slack. Unless you’re there, you have no idea how different it is in the studio.

I have fun with players and I tease them occasionally, but when things go wrong, I feel for them, and I try to salve the wounds on camera and off. So, yeah, it was an oddly entertaining puzzle and it’s okay to laugh at the situation. But have a little heart.

After all, you may be there one day. And no one wants to be trending on Twitter.

Maybe overstating things a little, but I get it. It's not a phrase that gets used terribly often these days, and if you already know "hat" is wrong then your brain starts going to other places.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
counterpoint, he's a moron too

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mennoknight posted:

counterpoint, he's a moron too

He's a boomer, there's a lifetime of brain damage from leaded gasoline you also have to consider.

But even a clock missing one hand is right once a day. It's a classic case of playing in your living room being a lot different than playing on a soundstage. I laugh because it could just as easily have been me in that video being a fuckup. When I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, my primary goal was not to embarrass myself in front of Terry Crews, and everything after that was a bonus.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 3, 2022

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I was on Wheel a few years ago and I was impressed at how supportive everyone was, especially Pat who is a big cheerleader to all of the contestants during commercials. It makes sense because people playing well is better TV and a better paced game then people just not getting it, but the encouragement really does help. Of course, Pat only has to do it twice a week and gets like four months off.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edna Mode posted:

Of course, Pat only has to do it twice a week and gets like four months off.

I forgot who said it, but some sports broadcaster in the early oughts considered emceeing as the true American dream: spend what little time you do work giving other people's money away.

I kinda compare it being a US senator, in that no matter who is getting the money, a portion of the population will consider the recipient as unworthy.

The similarities end there, as there is an actual degree of accountability (even if it's just in the court of public opinion), a legal standard of ethics, and a much higher approval rating.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 3, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think I'm following the right people on Twitter, because I saw more people reacting to the absurdity of all three contestants synchronizing their brain farts and unlucky spins than outright making fun of them for being "stupid" or whatever.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My Jeopardy goal is the same as our team's old Science Olympiad mantra: Just don't come in last or get disqualified. Winning then going on a streak are goals, but secondary to this one.

I'll happily embarrass myself with a really stupid answer if I still win the game (as long as it's not in physics, I could never live that down with my friends and colleagues). If I'm not buzzing in and taking a blind stab at a few clues I'm not taking enough risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah feather in your hat seemed reasonable, and tbh the funniest part imo is the guy who knows it and could solve it instantly never being able to do because of his unlucky spins