Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s 80-300mb average speeds , but can be up to 1000. Overall the answer to this is yes.

If you want me to help you with any options, etc, let me know here or PM me.

Trip report: best I could do in my house was 35 mb which is slower than what I got. At least they let me keep the router so I can try again in a year in case they build more towers near me. Right now signal seems dire based on their own tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

I have an ancient New Verizon 12gb Plan with a galaxy 8 and 10 that are both eligible for upgrade/tradein.

I don't pay enough attention to this stuff, should I be upgrading my plan and phones? Like sure the phones are older but is there a downside to not upgrading?

You probably have an offer of $350 trade in on the 8, $700 trade in on the 10.

You could have a discount on the unlimited plans, but unknown without checking your account.

Answer overall is it’s always good to at least check. If you want me to check for you let me know / PM.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with 5g home internet? My house is now in the post-c-band 5g UW coverage zone according to the coverage map, but it won't let me sign up online.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TwoDice posted:

What's the deal with 5g home internet? My house is now in the post-c-band 5g UW coverage zone according to the coverage map, but it won't let me sign up online.

Coverage does not mean eligibility. They don’t say exactly what their formula is, but they approve addresses based on location to tower, capacity, usage and whatever else.

You’ll probably randomly get on the list at some point this year.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Is there a CBand map out there yet?

I know it's changing constantly, but I'll be interested to know when I can run a speed test that pisses off my friends

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Is there a CBand map out there yet?

I know it's changing constantly, but I'll be interested to know when I can run a speed test that pisses off my friends

Verizon coverage map is updated. C Band and Ultra wide are both lumped under ultra wide, but given how much more it suddenly expanded in my area, it’s def there.

The coverage map will probably change month to month, if not week by week all year probably.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Coverage does not mean eligibility. They don’t say exactly what their formula is, but they approve addresses based on location to tower, capacity, usage and whatever else.

You’ll probably randomly get on the list at some point this year.

Cool, I'll check back occasionally.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

TwoDice posted:

Cool, I'll check back occasionally.

If you put your address into the checker online, when it becomes available, you should get a postcard in the mail.

One thing to note - if you have Hulu Live TV, using it on a non-mobile device (ie: a TV/Fire stick) will not work with any of the Verizon cellular home internet options. You can call Hulu to get them to whitelist your IP address, but once your IP changes (mine changed after two days), it no longer works and you have to call them again. This must be a big complaint for Verizon, as they recently updated their TOS to call out that it might not work.

iCloud Private Relay also does not work for me when I'm using my work iPad on my home wifi. I've read about some cellular carriers blocking it, but since LTE Home Internet use is relatively low, there's not a lot of info from other users online about it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a non-tech savvy family member who can no longer receive text messages (RCS), and I'm not local to them to be able to help.

If they take the phone (Android) to a Verizon store, will employees there help them with the basic troubleshooting to get it working? It's been so long since I've been to a physical store, not sure what they will and won't do anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

I have a non-tech savvy family member who can no longer receive text messages (RCS), and I'm not local to them to be able to help.

If they take the phone (Android) to a Verizon store, will employees there help them with the basic troubleshooting to get it working? It's been so long since I've been to a physical store, not sure what they will and won't do anymore.

Maybe? The stores are turning into more pickup centers. They do some trouble shooting , but it really depends.

If they go by a store it’s VZW.com/storelocator always set an appointment.

I would recommend having them call tech support first though. (800) 392-0717 is care , and ask them to forward to tech support

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So it looks like I hosed up by waiting a few days to upgrade. 36 month device payments only mean I can no longer upgrade once a year? That sucks. I may just ride out the last year with this contract and do the apple upgrade program? I totally missed all this and it seems like I only missed it by a few days. Makes me feel dumb.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

So it looks like I hosed up by waiting a few days to upgrade. 36 month device payments only mean I can no longer upgrade once a year? That sucks. I may just ride out the last year with this contract and do the apple upgrade program? I totally missed all this and it seems like I only missed it by a few days. Makes me feel dumb.

Well, for one , I wouldn’t blame anyone who wants to upgrade yearly to go through apple. It is simpler.

It is only 36 months now, and yeah it does suck because they gave no notice. I showed up one day and oh btw only 3 year payment plans.

Now, in terms of the iPhone upgrade early program , they still are doing the 50% upgrade.

So Verizon will say it’s 36 month payment plan, at 18 months you can upgrade at $0 with trade in of phone.

It still applies like how they have had it: if you want to upgrade before then, you just pay up to get to 50%.

So example: you get an iPhone 13 Pro 128GB. It’s $1,000, so it’s $27.77 a month over 36 months.

In 12 months , the remaining balance is $333.33.

Halfway point is $500. $500 - $333 = $167.

You could trade in at 12 months, you just pay $167 to get to the 50% point.

So yeah, it is what it is, I’ll be the first to say I’m not a fan of only have 36 month payment plans, but that’s how an early upgrade can work.

Personally, I think a lot of people who do yearly upgrades already go through apple. Thinking through it, I processed a lot of phone purchases during the last iPhone launch, and honestly probably 98% were not trade up upgrades. Most people upgrading with their carrier are more looking for a phone discount versus yearly upgrade.

And of course , the 36 month benefits Verizon in that way because it take an extra year to get the credit.

So far, I donno, most people just go “oh ok” and are fine with it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Ahh. Well that is good! I didn’t know you can still do the 50% thing. Even if it is now a 18 month upgrade?

But I agree, it seems like the upgrade program seems smarter if I can hold off for another year before jumping to apple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

Ahh. Well that is good! I didn’t know you can still do the 50% thing. Even if it is now a 18 month upgrade?

But I agree, it seems like the upgrade program seems smarter if I can hold off for another year before jumping to apple.

Yeah. They actually always had it where you could upgrade earlier and pay the difference.

Fun dumb story. Years ago , I worked in a rich area of Philly. I had a customer who got like, an iPhone 8 and was 5 months into said payment plan.

I spent like, 5 minutes explaining “you can upgrade, but it’ll be $200ish, plus fees, so it’ll like $350” because most people will stop asking to upgrade when it’s that much for just the bigger screen.

Dude was just like yeah whatever, here’s my credit card, I just want the bigger phone.

Anyway yeah, you can always pay up to upgrade to the 50% with Verizon.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This is probably a dumb question: my phone is on a Verizon business plan and I have never seen 5G Uw on it. It’s an iPhone 12 mini so it’s fully capable.

Does my cheap company not have UW data turned on? I’m in Atlanta and as far as I can tell c band was recently turned on. I only ever get the 5G indicator.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

This is probably a dumb question: my phone is on a Verizon business plan and I have never seen 5G Uw on it. It’s an iPhone 12 mini so it’s fully capable.

Does my cheap company not have UW data turned on? I’m in Atlanta and as far as I can tell c band was recently turned on. I only ever get the 5G indicator.

Some plans have it some do not, so to be honest quite possible. businesses usually take the cheap plan for employee lines, also likely. But unable to know for sure without checking with your telecoms person.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, you need a specific SIM card to enable 5GUW. And, again, it must be stressed that sometimes UW reception is so sensitive that if you *sneeze* you might drop down to 5G or LTE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, you need a specific SIM card to enable 5GUW. And, again, it must be stressed that sometimes UW reception is so sensitive that if you *sneeze* you might drop down to 5G or LTE.

You know, this is probably right, but until people test it it’s unknown whether a 4G SIM can get UW or not.

4G gets 5G nationwide fine, although yes it’s the same band as 4G.

Second thing: c band is *better* than the other UW at signal sensitivity. That said, the prognosis could be correct, it’s just we have to trial and see to confirm at this point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

You know, this is probably right, but until people test it it’s unknown whether a 4G SIM can get UW or not.

4G gets 5G nationwide fine, although yes it’s the same band as 4G.

Second thing: c band is *better* than the other UW at signal sensitivity. That said, the prognosis could be correct, it’s just we have to trial and see to confirm at this point.

Wait, are there now TWO loving Verizon UW bands? And does the Pixel 5 support one or both?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wait, are there now TWO loving Verizon UW bands? And does the Pixel 5 support one or both?

The new one is the one weird trick the FAA hates.

The old one is the barely useful one that only works in 1 square foot locations

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, Mike’s summary is right.

But basically, the new one is “C Band,” and in theory it’s on a lower frequency so you should actually be able to get reception on it. Internet speeds are 80-300mb , versus the normal 5G / 4G that is 10-100mb.

Pixel 5 should support all bands. Whether your plan does or not depends!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

But do I need to go and get *another* 5G SIM card that supports the new band if I've got one that supports the original 5GUW one?

And I have the original 5GUW-capable plan, but have been informed that I'm going to get converted to the newer plan automatically.

I'm on Get More Unlimited 5G UW at the moment.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 10, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But do I need to go and get *another* 5G SIM card that supports the new band if I've got one that supports the original 5GUW one?

And I have the original 5GUW-capable plan, but have been informed that I'm going to get converted to the newer plan automatically.

I'm on Get More Unlimited 5G UW at the moment.

Nah, you’re good on both.

You can check to see if it’s in your area here:

https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/

You’ll just see a UW next to 5G if you ever get it. Run a speed test if you see it !

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Verizon thread:

Any tips or tricks for returning a phone within 30 days of purchase from my local Corp Verizon store?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Verizon thread:

Any tips or tricks for returning a phone within 30 days of purchase from my local Corp Verizon store?

Uhhhh, take it to the store? I’m not quite following the issue.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

How long should I wait for Verizon to credit my trade-in phone? My trade-in arrived last week, around the same time Verizon said they were "taking away" my incentive credit. I'm sure these things take time to process but still...what gives?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cross-posting this from the WoT Thread:

Reminder that there is *less than two weeks* to take advantage of this promo: https://www.verizon.com/gaming/world-of-tanks/

You can claim *two* codes if you can redeem via the FiOS (requires that you be a FiOS subscriber) or Verizon Wireless portal, but you can only use one code per account, and *codes are not account-specific or locked to any sort of credentials*. If you have a friend or family member on either Verizon service whom you can persuade/rely on to enter their account credentials correctly and then send you the code, you can snag:

- A T78 (Tier 6) TD + ~Speshul~ Camo for it
- 90 Days Premium
- 2.5m Silver

Again, this promo expires 2/28. If you can get multiple codes, consider sharing them over letting them expire.

-----

Duckman, let me know if this isn't kosher and I'll nix the idea, but if people in here wanted to grab their code(s) and then PM them to me (if they don't wish to use them), I'll ensure it goes to worthy Goons. I already redeemed a code so I can't use another.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 17, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Cross-posting this from the WoT Thread:

Reminder that there is *less than two weeks* to take advantage of this promo: https://www.verizon.com/gaming/world-of-tanks/

You can claim *two* codes if you can redeem via the FiOS (requires that you be a FiOS subscriber) or Verizon Wireless portal, but you can only use one code per account, and *codes are not account-specific or locked to any sort of credentials*. If you have a friend or family member on either Verizon service whom you can persuade/rely on to enter their account credentials correctly and then send you the code, you can snag:

- A T78 (Tier 6) TD + ~Speshul~ Camo for it
- 90 Days Premium
- 2.5m Silver

Again, this promo expires 2/28. If you can get multiple codes, consider sharing them over letting them expire.

-----

Duckman, let me know if this isn't kosher and I'll nix the idea, but if people in here wanted to grab their code(s) and then PM them to me (if they don't wish to use them), I'll ensure it goes to worthy Goons. I already redeemed a code so I can't use another.

I know nothing on world of tanks, but I was told by a coworker this was a big dealer.

No problems here at all, doesn’t bother me, and if they’re offering a promo take advantage of it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anyone know about this? My wife was looking at apple watches through the Verizon app? It showed that the SE is $99.99 but when we click on it, it does not give an option for that price, just $360.

I tried searching online for sale info but could not find anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone know about this? My wife was looking at apple watches through the Verizon app? It showed that the SE is $99.99 but when we click on it, it does not give an option for that price, just $360.

I tried searching online for sale info but could not find anything.

Pretty sure it’s with phone purchase and also requires service over 36 month payment plan.

Fyi a lot of accounts have $150 off, no phone purchase required, but it will still require the LTE service, so the first question is if you wanted to pay the $5-10 a month for data service.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Okay. Thanks for the info. My wife was just looking and has not decided if she wants one or not. When it looked like it could be $100, she thought it was a no brainer though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Okay. Thanks for the info. My wife was just looking and has not decided if she wants one or not. When it looked like it could be $100, she thought it was a no brainer though.

Yeah for sure.

If she gets one, does she want to pay the monthly for cellular? Like, some do, some don’t , but that’s a big question on the cost.

I will say you can probably find a really good deal on either a SE or a watch series 6, just deprends on whether you want Bluetooth only or cellular

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

That is one thing we have talked about before. She works from home so she has her phone with her almost all of the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

That is one thing we have talked about before. She works from home so she has her phone with her almost all of the time.

Yeah, then don’t get the cellular. You can def find a good deal on the GPS only version

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Looking to add a new line and ideally get a free iphone but doesnt seem like there is much for promos now. Am i missing anything or should i wait for a better deal?

I can trade in an iphone 8 that works but has a cracked screen. At first i thought that would work but when i got the value estimate it was $36…. If i get the screen fixed would that work or does verizon check somehow?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Looking to add a new line and ideally get a free iphone but doesnt seem like there is much for promos now. Am i missing anything or should i wait for a better deal?

I can trade in an iphone 8 that works but has a cracked screen. At first i thought that would work but when i got the value estimate it was $36…. If i get the screen fixed would that work or does verizon check somehow?

What phone do you want ?

iPhone 12 is $600 to $700 off.

iPhone 13 is $440 off.

Neither requires a trade in.

So basically, the regular ones you can get a discount on, the pros not so much. Did you have a preference ?

PM me if you want me to help you order them , I def don’t mind helping.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My work issued me a 5G Verizon iPhone 12.

My personal T-Mobile PIxel with 4G is 80 mbps down, 40 up, 30ms ping.

Verizon with the "5G" symbol displayed is 15 down, 3 up, 50ms ping.

First world problems and everything, but is big red not a little embarrassed by this offering?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

My work issued me a 5G Verizon iPhone 12.

My personal T-Mobile PIxel with 4G is 80 mbps down, 40 up, 30ms ping.

Verizon with the "5G" symbol displayed is 15 down, 3 up, 50ms ping.

First world problems and everything, but is big red not a little embarrassed by this offering?

Not on UW band either.

Not trying to be on a high horse defending company A vs B, Just a point that it varies.

Historically, while they have talked about both speed and reliability , I will say the biggest single thing with Verizon that they advertise / take pride in is reliability. As in, even if it is not the fastest, it works and gets a connection.

IMO, def there have and will be issues, etc, but I will say, when poo poo hits the fan , IE natural disasters, etc, Verizon *usually* keeps the best coverage through it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I guess it depends... I'm in Boston and the last place I was at my roommate had to use one of those plug-in femtocells for Verizon while I had full bars of T-Mo in the apartment.

Not that I'm fanboying, I'm actually floored at how much the price of T-Mo went up. I was on their prepaid before when it was $25/month unlimited everything, now you have to like piggyback on a family plan to get anywhere near that.

I wish Verizon would loving work with the Asus Rog Phones but they refuse to validate them, even though they have the right frequencies. Asus doesn't want to fork over for their certification payola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I guess it depends... I'm in Boston and the last place I was at my roommate had to use one of those plug-in femtocells for Verizon while I had full bars of T-Mo in the apartment.

Not that I'm fanboying, I'm actually floored at how much the price of T-Mo went up. I was on their prepaid before when it was $25/month unlimited everything, now you have to like piggyback on a family plan to get anywhere near that.

I wish Verizon would loving work with the Asus Rog Phones but they refuse to validate them, even though they have the right frequencies. Asus doesn't want to fork over for their certification payola.

T-Mobile dropped prices when Legere did the carrier war (good) and then slowly raised them back up.

In 2014 when I worked at ATT 2 lines of service with 6GB shared was just about $140-150.

Current plans on I think all 3 are $140-160.

T-Mobile raised their poo poo to match once they got customers over and merged with sprint. I blame more the US being unable to regulate, but whichever way, yeah prices aren’t going down on cell phone plans, they’ve been stuck where they are at for a good bit now, other than that one dip by T-Mobile.