Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What’s in the Arceus update

Also the fire starter has to turn into a dragon otherwise the zodiac theory is busted

Charizard's already taking up the dragon slot in the zodiac. If anything, Fuecoco's gonna turn into a super long crocodile and be a "snake".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
out of curiosity have gamefreak ever considered going back to the regions of japan they never got around to

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

alg posted:

this is gen 9, a regular pokemon game right? not like Arceus? because that duck starter has me ready to play again
They didn't really show gameplay, but it looks like Sw/Sh but open world?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Also the fire starter has to turn into a dragon otherwise the zodiac theory is busted
https://legends.pokemon.com/en-us/update/

Sounds like some special outbreaks and some special battles?

Also photograph suite thing where you can pull in NPCs?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Cyndaquil busted the Zodiac theory 20 years ago

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

out of curiosity have gamefreak ever considered going back to the regions of japan they never got around to

That’s just Tohoku and Chugoku. Chugoku could have some interesting stuff about the hare of inaba and Hiroshima castle I guess.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Oh boy yearly release schedule, I bet that'll end great!

God drat Fuecoco looks like poo poo. Sprigatito feels like the most generic "grass-type cat" design possible but it's still cute. Quaxly... exists?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As for the anime, I’m curious whether Journeys will come to an end or just add the new region into the mix (personally I’d kind of like to see a more back to basics style season like was the case with the original through XYZ)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

As for the anime, I’m curious whether Journeys will come to an end or just add the new region into the mix (personally I’d kind of like to see a more back to basics style season like was the case with the original through XYZ)

I think new season set in spain, yeah. Haven't seen the last few episodes, but it is ramping up a lot and getting closer to Ash vs Leon. IDK how traditional it'd be

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
More people on Twitter are pointing out that the map in the room during the live action segment of the trailer is basically just a map of Spain (with Portugal covered up) and that the big castle in the trailer looks very similar to the Sagrada Família.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

I think new season set in spain, yeah. Haven't seen the last few episodes, but it is ramping up a lot and getting closer to Ash vs Leon. IDK how traditional it'd be

Ash is now #15 in the rankings so we’re getting close at least, yeah (Marnie and Piers finally made their debut in the most recent episode along with Team Yell)

Back to the game, all the starters look pretty cool to me but I’ve always picked Water since the very first game and that’s likely not going to change anytime soon

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Twelve by Pies posted:

More people on Twitter are pointing out that the map in the room during the live action segment of the trailer is basically just a map of Spain (with Portugal covered up) and that the big castle in the trailer looks very similar to the Sagrada Família.

There's also other recognizable buildings, a painting of a flamenco dancer and the map parts shown even have loving Gibraltar of all things.

Also a funny joke that the northwest is filled with lakes because that region in Spain is reaaaallly rainy all year long, no wonder it flooded :v:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

(edit: I wrote this post too late)

yeah, I think it's Spain, it's the architecture from Assassin's Creed IV set in the Caribbean, I recognize rainy plains with the rocky cliffsides from National Geographic's Wild Portugal, this might be reaching but the hats of the main characters are bent a little like conquistador helmets, and this is the flag of the Second Spanish Republic

but at the same time I'm thinking "but wasn't red already in the title of a Pokemon game"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

even though it's another yearly release, I have hope that this one will be polished since the main team didn't work on BDSP and this is incorporating elements from Arceus

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1497940333749063683?t=S4p78I3OP8XbKC7nEA3YkQ&s=19

These are the worst human designs GF has ever made. I hate them so much. The starter pokemon are great tho

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The open world stuff looking so similar to PLA and so soon after it came out makes me kinda feel like PLA was just a side project from the assets they were making for this. If it's really coming in 2022 that makes it unlikely that PLA was a test run or stepping stone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

even though it's another yearly release, I have hope that this one will be polished since the main team didn't work on BDSP and this is incorporating elements from Arceus

Speaking of, I wonder if they’ll let us chuck balls at Pokémon from the overworld or go back to the traditional “run into them to initiate a battle” style of the other games

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think it'll be much better than SwSh, but it still won't be as good as we'd like. Incremental improvements.

I probably won't like it as much as PLA, but hopefully it ends up to where I like what I see enough to buy.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if they’ll let us chuck balls at Pokémon from the overworld or go back to the traditional “run into them to initiate a battle” style of the other games

Yeah, the us site mentions capturing pokemon via wild battles.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Normally I'd say no, but they did officially bill Legends as a mainline game, which even introduced all-new pokémon, so I would upgrade that to "probably not."

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Balache404 posted:

Charizard's already taking up the dragon slot in the zodiac. If anything, Fuecoco's gonna turn into a super long crocodile and be a "snake".

How
Did I forget Charizard

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sorry for the non-Scarlet/Violet post, but how the hell do I catch a Basculin in PLA? They always run away when I get within like 100ft of them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That’s just Tohoku and Chugoku. Chugoku could have some interesting stuff about the hare of inaba and Hiroshima castle I guess.

there's also the hokuriku along the sea of japan coast, and i figure that the hiroshima/okayama area is close enough to shikoku that they could work in the parts of the island closest to honshu

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

oh poo poo the new patch seems to be adding stuff for real, like ten new requests and the feature everyone in this thread was begging for:
a new balloon course

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Procrastine posted:

Oh boy yearly release schedule, I bet that'll end great!

God drat Fuecoco looks like poo poo. Sprigatito feels like the most generic "grass-type cat" design possible but it's still cute. Quaxly... exists?

Imagine thinking the bubble bobble apple gator looks like poo poo. What a foolish post and may god have mercy on your soul

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This is the first time I can remember where I think all the starters look really, really good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sorry for the non-Scarlet/Violet post, but how the hell do I catch a Basculin in PLA? They always run away when I get within like 100ft of them.

ride directly at them full speed with a ball out and just smash it into their face while they're still going :o

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah I like all all the starters and water types continue to keep winning.

Like I wanna get excited, but announcing this for the end of this year is insane.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Imagine thinking the bubble bobble apple gator looks like poo poo. What a foolish post and may god have mercy on your soul

My immediate reaction seeing it in the trailer was "what the gently caress is that thing". Why does the fire starter look like an apple? Why does the crocodile have hairs? Is that what those even are? What are those if not hairs? "Bubble bobble apple gator" is a concept that could be done well but Feucoco completely drops the ball.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

_____/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve always had good luck with the Water starter ever since Gen 1 and that’s likely not going to change here but yeah, they all look pretty good to me.

Speaking of, is the gator supposed to be an apple or a pepper?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gonna read into the new starters description a bit, probably reaching but...

Sprigatito The capricious, attention-seeking Grass Cat Pokémon - grass/fairy perhaps?

Fuecoco The laid-back Fire Croc Pokémon that does things at its own pace - could see it become fire/ground or fire/rock.

Quaxly The earnest and tidy Duckling Pokémon - dunno, water/fighting? Or just water/flying cause duck I guess.

Just please don't stay monotype this time. :pray:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Pokémon Spain looks neat! I love the grass cat. I really hope they incorporate a lot from Legends. I am fully expecting Quaxly to turn into a buff Popeye x Donald Duck.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Larryb posted:

I’ve always had good luck with the Water starter ever since Gen 1 and that’s likely not going to change here but yeah, they all look pretty good to me.

Speaking of, is the gator supposed to be an apple or a pepper?

I'm pretty sure it's a pepper, which makes more sense with Fire too

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
If they stay monotype this gen, I’m gonna lose my poo poo. I don’t care if Cinderace and Rillaboom were strong competitive pokemon, monotype starts are lame.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

jimmydalad posted:

If they stay monotype this gen, I’m gonna lose my poo poo. I don’t care if Cinderace and Rillaboom were strong competitive pokemon, monotype starts are lame.

I dunno. Mono-type can be helpful for some.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Procrastine posted:

My immediate reaction seeing it in the trailer was "what the gently caress is that thing". Why does the fire starter look like an apple? Why does the crocodile have hairs? Is that what those even are? What are those if not hairs? "Bubble bobble apple gator" is a concept that could be done well but Feucoco completely drops the ball.

It’s not an apple, it’s a chili pepper :ssh:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

they'll all be dual-typed Normal now
because why not

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It being a pepper is even better

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I like all three of the starters and the trailer looked cool. Definitely leaning Scarlet.

The playable boy looks so dorky but I appreciate that it looks like an actual real world outfit. A slightly more grounded visual style would be interesting IMO. Kind of like new donk city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

You can’t pick a game until you see the box legendary