Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

FunkyAl posted:

Indy 4 is pretty good. The aliens are a metaphor for television, and sometimes spaniards
Indy 4 is the only indiana jones movie I've seen a significant part of and I liked it okay at the time because I didn't have any expectations.

What remains burned into my head from that film is the ending scene where a UFO emerges from underneath an ancient temple, flies off, and Ford delivers the iconic line: "where did they go.... space?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Why Pluto :psyduck:

Like I can make sense of so many characters you could pick. He is not one of them.

Also did someone make this movie behind Disney's back?

Basically, Chip 'N' Dale were created to be nuisances.

Any time they didn't annoy each other, they annoyed any number of other Disney characters though their main foil was Donald. However, their very first appearance was in a Pluto cartoon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 23, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Aardman Animations (for Netflix) short Robin Robin got an oscar nom in the short animation category, so figured I'd share this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZvQzkFcKEM

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

World Famous W posted:

Would you consider doing an adaptation of a classic work the same as a reboot/remake of something you had a hand in the original and/or original is only a decade or two old?

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, just curious on your opinion

I do think they're different and it might be interesting to explore those differences. I don't think there is a very significant difference in how inherently "creative" those ventures are, though.

There are super creative rexaminations of works that are close in time or made by the same creator. There are hacky cash ins of extremely old stories.

The stance expressed by KC Green's tweet would require holding Mad Max Fury Road in contempt. It's a bad take, and the fact that KC is making a Pinocchio comic and gushing about video game remasters is not the crux of its badness. Just makes it more irritating.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can you link to these bad takes cause I have no idea what it's referring to

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Sure. bad bad takes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh yeah I remember that tweet. I don't think that take is that bad to be honest. I agree with it a little bit and I love Clone High. His Pinocchio thing doesn't really seem like the same thing

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpDuBXB_glk

Man I love the way this movie looks. But also this is the most egregious example of a movie trailer putting lines over footage that the characters are clearly not saying I've ever seen

The Mona Lisa with big ole animated eyes cracks me up

We'll see how the plot brings it together, but yeah the animation looks great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

To be quite honest I don't find this take that questionable.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

He’s not saying that all reboots are bad but calling it out as a larger trend. Further down he even says that he liked Florpus and the Rocko sequel, it’s just that he also thinks that further mining of these properties is pointless when there are newer, better, ideas waiting to be made out there. And he has a point. Every time we spend a ton of time and resources to resurrect Street Sharks there’s another potentially more interesting show somewhere not being made as a result.

Now, I’d actually argue that there’s more artistic validity to reboots than he’s giving credit for and would even say that keeping some properties alive across generations can be culturally valuable *gestures at Superman*. I also think it’s fair to point out that you could call his Pinocchio comic a reboot if you wanted to (though I imagine he doesn’t see it as being part of the same trend). That said, I think it’s a bit uncharitable to try and use this post as some sort of chaos dunk on him for being a hypocrite. Particularly when he’s just a guy making his own passion project out of love for an old children’s book rather than a producer using Cartoon Network cash to chase profits and trends. You can be the former while still being frustrated with the later.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 24, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also it's an adaptation from the public domain which is one of the entire purposes of the public domain, so that's a lot different from bringing back Cowboys of Moo Mesa as a live-action/CG hybrid or w/e, solely because it's an Intellectual Property which gives it more Value to the Company Portfolio

calling a public domain adaptation a 'remake' is really weird

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

maybe they'll make a courage the cowardly dog live-action remake

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God I wish I could travel 150 years into the future and see what books/shows from today are treated with the same cultural reverence as Pinocchio. I bet what we found would be super weird by our ancient tastes.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm not chaos dunking him for being a hypocrite. The hypocrisy is only slightly irksome and not the core of why I find it to be a shallow and lovely opinion. There are criticisms to be made of how media producing companies are buying each other out, becoming more and more anti-competitive and conservative, relying ever more on reboots and sequels and IP recognition over artistic quality.

I don't see how you square that argument with what KC Green is actually saying when he says that it's bad Lord and Miller get a chance to revisit a show of theirs that ended too soon. He says they've gone on to do much stronger stuff since Clone High ended, and I agree. But I do wonder what he's referring to in particular? The adaptation of a children's book? The reboot of an 80's TV show? The adaptation of a toy brand? The fourth iteration of spiderman inside 20 years?

I don't see any kind of insightful criticism of the industry. I see a hackneyed take about the death of originality. The kind of mindset that would lead to hearing George Miller is making a new Mad Max and shaking one's head at how Hollywood is just always out there with the sequels and reboots.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wittgen posted:

I don't see how you square that argument with what KC Green is actually saying when he says that it's bad Lord and Miller get a chance to revisit a show of theirs that ended too soon. He says they've gone on to do much stronger stuff since Clone High ended, and I agree. But I do wonder what he's referring to in particular? The adaptation of a children's book? The reboot of an 80's TV show? The adaptation of a toy brand? The fourth iteration of spiderman inside 20 years?
they did produce the best animated film from last year and it was an original story by michael rianda

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Clone high absolutely ruled but I think he's right.

Some media is timeless. Some media captures a spark of the time it came out.

Lord and miller are super amazing so they could write anything and have it be funny, but clone high is a parody of a bunch of stuff that doesn't exist anymore. What was the last sitcom special episode that even existed? who needs an extended mr belvedere parody? The appeal of clone high in 2022 would only be "remember clone high" when 20 years ago it was "remember 20 years ago when shows were like this?" It's okay to let go of "remember the 80s!?" media. especially for writers who are still making great stuff that isn't that. Everyone has already remembered everything about the 80s we need to, moving to "remember this thing that remembered the 80s!?" is not where culture needs to go.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fantasia:

Without a doubt the most ambitious film in the Animated Canon, Fantasia is a marvel of animation and sound that deserves the praise and fond memories that many had watching this as a child.

A couple of segments may drag, but this is a wonderful use of the visual medium of film to tell stories that other mediums can not tell in the same way. So few mainstream films of late fail to take advantage of the medium where the visuals and editing are every bit as important as the dialog and performances.

Fantasia, however, is a purely visual experience that demands interpreting the visuals to comprehend the meaning while many films are simply content to simply state their meaning through dialog. It is a universal language that can be understood without words.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Based on rumors currently floating around I have to share this spoiler for the Chip & Dale movie because it’s hilarious (even more so if it winds up being true):

Pluto is the villian. And he's using a machine to swap parts of other toons to become the ulimate Toon star or sometihng. Rewatching the trailer you can see Chip's one ear is replaced with Pluto’s

I guess we're really looking at the new Roger Rabbit movie. :psyduck: Either way this one falls, it's going to be spectacular.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

God I wish I could travel 150 years into the future and see what books/shows from today are treated with the same cultural reverence as Pinocchio. I bet what we found would be super weird by our ancient tastes.

We believe there were several ur-texts behind "Fallout: Equestria".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I kinda wish Turning Red was going down the stylistic route that The Bad Guys is, since both have very similar Toriyama and Ghibli inspired character designs, but only one carries that fully through into the animation. The concept art from Turning Red has a bit of life the cg world lacks.

(I say this as a cg animator. Cg is great but stylize it more...)

https://mobile.twitter.com/RiseFallNickBck/status/1496978830812143616

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/DynamoSuperX/status/1496979337328750601
https://twitter.com/SLBtweet/status/1495201778505297925

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sivart13 posted:

Indy 4 is the only indiana jones movie I've seen a significant part of and I liked it okay at the time because I didn't have any expectations.

What remains burned into my head from that film is the ending scene where a UFO emerges from underneath an ancient temple, flies off, and Ford delivers the iconic line: "where did they go.... space?"

in that video that aliens are on a big zoetrope. They may or may not absorb the fox mayan theater

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A friend of mine got dog piled by these stable clever boys for pointing out that animation has in betweens that aren’t meant to be golden poses. The “animation fans” on twitter making GBS threads on Turning Red are truly something else. Also they’re all Trump supporters, so I guess having bad political and artistic opinions go hand in hand.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshClarkVFX/status/1497774447369113608

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 27, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ahahah the first reply I saw said seriously that it's not that, they're just complaining about the generic cal arts style. For the CGI film

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also that Turning Red shot is amazing, how can you hate that?!

That one character looks like she's gonna have the best facial expressions. That hate for this movie is baffling

Edit: I mean it's not actually baffling. I didn't see this kind of hate for how Luca looked despite being the same style, I know why. But still.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Twitter weirds acting like this wasn't one of the most memorable scenes in animated film

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i'd only ever heard of animation twitter, and my biggest mistake was reading the comments on that tweet

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Can you really call a bunch of racist conservatives who will never actually watch the movie “animation Twitter”?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This is why I only follow furry artists on twitter lmao, god, imagine getting drawn into any discourse on anything, how loving exhausting

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Can you really call a bunch of racist conservatives who will never actually watch the movie “animation Twitter”?

They’re real weirdos, alright, but they do seem to have some interest in animation and it’s history given how I have one guy going on about how 90s cartoons were better because the animation studios sent themselves out of business making the quality so high (though the only example of that is Spectrum which went overboard on a few episodes of Batman the Animated Series).

It’s clearly hostility over the movie being made for not their demographic and they dress it up on concerns about the aesthetic. There seems to be so much variety in animated media now I don’t see why they have to focus on this one film from Pixar aside from that they’re angry the world is changing.

There’s a few legitimate animation professionals who are also this obnoxious. The key one being Steve Williams, who was the guy that convinced Spielberg to use CG dinos on Jurassic Park. He spoke to our class when I was at Sheridan and seemed a bit off, coming in wearing full military gear despite never serving in the armed forces. Lately he’s been complaining loudly on LinkedIn about pronouns and diversity in between telling people how to improve their dinosaur animation. 😐

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 28, 2022

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Oh my god

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wow the bad crazy version of the kid from mitchell vs the machines

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pixeltendo posted:

Lmao “I HATE YOU GOODBYE FOREVER!” *falls out window*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The inevitable outcome

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1498783028407148551

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Heck yeah. Get that money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bite my glorious golden rear end!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I started watching Avatar the Last Airbender with my son. I've been lightly pushing him to give it a try and my suggestions have finally taken root. I've never actually watched the entirety myself, so I'm along for the ride. Besides, with the whole Ukraine thing it seems like a good moment to watch this.
But man that first episode on Netflix looks horrible, with mouth lines literally dancing away from people's faces. :psyduck: Later episodes are much better, but that first episode is an embarrassment. We're only on episode 4 now. But I'm loving my son's reaction to it so far.
Despite the dramatic backdrop, it all starts light hearted with a lot of jokes and childish antics until they reach the first air temple and discover all air masters are dead. This series is not afraid to punch when it needs to. Seeing the kindly master reduced to a skeleton and Aang completely losing it, my son turned to me and was like "this stuff is intense."
"Yep, that's war."
That heaviness seemed to discourage him, but then Sokka had something funny happen to him and my son was laughing again and ready to watch another episode.
He's also already intrigued by Zuko and his "ugly scar". They're doing a good job on building him up as a tragic yet menacing character properly balanced by his silly uncle.

His use of the word intense is actually pretty interesting to me, I've never heard him use that word before in relation to something he was watching. He's extremely sensitive to moods/sounds in shows, so usually when someone has a very strong reaction (or there is scary/intense music) he responds by getting distressed and doesn't want to watch it any more unless something diffuses the situation properly. Like Sokka did here, or back when we watched the Lion King that Timon and Pumba show up immediately after Mufasa dies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/mrpibmo/status/1498739610477740036

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

Yeah. Speak of the devil, there’s a documentary out about him now. Guess he’s always had a combative personality that now at age 60 has morphed into hating progressive stuff. This documentary is about when he was mostly concerned with computer animation and cg dinos though.

https://deadline.com/video/spaz-trailer-steve-williams-documentary-jurassic-park-ilm-computer-animation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just watched the 2001 animated Metropolis for the first time in years, and god drat the blu-ray is such a tremendous improvement over my old DVD copy. Every frame is gorgeous.

There was a period in the late 90s and early 2000s in Japan where the animation industry reexamined (and readapted) the style of their earlier 50-60s comics and cartoons. It's my understanding that none of them were really financial successes, as I don't think there was ever much of an audience for it outside the animators themselves. Metropolis is a superlative example of that movement, being a 2000s film mimicking the style (but not really the plot) of a 1949 comic -- which was itself mimicking the style (but not the plot) of the 20s silent film. The film further references art deco period architecture, big band music and New Orleans jazz, the Asimov robot detective stories, Les Misérables, Hollywood big budget biblical epics... Metropolis used "looking back at 60s comics" as an excuse to look back at historical fiction (as well as historical fiction) nearly as a whole.

Astonishingly, everything works and works well. The titular metropolis itself is a fully realized space, the political struggles are entirely comprehensible, and the inevitable cataclysm is as great of a spectacle as you'll find outside of Akira — which the film also references, only in Metropolis the apocalypse is accompanied by the voice of Ray Charles.

It is maybe a perfect film.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 6, 2022