Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

Hope you got to play Gus before it started raining yesterday

I did not. Tour 18 was pretty great, shot 95 (21 handicap). I loved the bit of GC of Houston I got to play, but it was hard to stay warmed up and in rhythm at 20-30 minutes per hole. I'll be back next winter to play a few other courses, and likely Tour 18 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

xsf421 posted:

I did not. Tour 18 was pretty great, shot 95 (21 handicap). I loved the bit of GC of Houston I got to play, but it was hard to stay warmed up and in rhythm at 20-30 minutes per hole. I'll be back next winter to play a few other courses, and likely Tour 18 again.

drat, sorry about that. If you swing back through next winter, reach out to me via DM!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
We could do a Houston goon meetup. I'm south of Houston (Pearland), but I'll play anywhere.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My Garmin R10 arrives today. I can write up a review with pictures if people are interested.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kameh posted:

We could do a Houston goon meetup. I'm south of Houston (Pearland), but I'll play anywhere.

I'm down, I'll take a little road trip to MegaCity 4

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

daslog posted:

My Garmin R10 arrives today. I can write up a review with pictures if people are interested.

Do the firmware updates as soon as you get it. One of the more recent updates changed how ball spin was calculated depending on if you are indoors or outdoors. It's made outdoor shots far more accurate and it should pickup the indoor shots more reliably.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=kj37CgzvwM98hC9WPrIQm5

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

daslog posted:

Enjoy! I’ve had my R10 for about five months now and it’s been the best gold purchase I’ve ever made.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FYI for anyone interested - Garmin R10 now supports TGC 2019!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hi thread, I started golfing early last summer and played a ton of games on the Par 3 muni course down the street and a handful of regular courses towards the end of summer and fall, and enjoyed it a ton. Our county’s recreation catalogue came in the mail yesterday so long story short I’m joining two casual recreational golf leagues this spring and summer and I’m super hyped

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
What Niemann did yesterday and today at Riviera is insane. Really thought he was going to tie the course record yesterday.

I spent the morning yesterday following Spieth / Scheffler / Rahm and then the afternoon mostly following Jena Sims Brooks / Cantlay / Reed around before we hopped over to watch Niemann's last 6 holes.

This is going to be the first year in my memory where the pros don't get any rain at all at Riv and it's warmer than usual for February, so conditions are ideal for the winner to get to something ridiculous.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I did a thing in my backyard

https://imgur.com/a/jMni33N

We turfed about 75% of my backyard because my large rear end dogs were just tearing up any grass we had back there. Plus we figured we aren't selling this house probably forever(lol house prices) so we might as well make it exactly what we want.

Figured I might as well add a small putting green as it didn't really add to the overall cost of the project, lol $$$$$

Longest putt is about 14' and there are undulations and an uphill/downhill slope to it as well.

You can see my coaches watching me practice at night. It rolls fast, probably 10 or 11 on the stimp scale o great practice for most of the courses around me.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That whole yard looks ace. We were looking into a similar project last year and lol that poo poo ain’t cheap! But whoever did it did a nice job.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

mattfl posted:

You can see my coaches watching me practice at night. It rolls fast, probably 10 or 11 on the stimp scale o great practice for most of the courses around me.

Every loving green around me, on a good day can't be more than a 5 to 7. You fucker.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

That whole yard looks ace. We were looking into a similar project last year and lol that poo poo ain’t cheap! But whoever did it did a nice job.

It was def not cheap, nope not at all lol

The company we used does a lot of high end commercial jobs, they did a lot of work at Daytona International Speedway and does a lot of schools/daycares. He basically told me the first day on site he strives for perfection and won't leave the job until he gets it. We are completely satisfied with his work even though it may have cost more than someone else could have done it.

The dogs love it, the wife loves it because the dogs are bringing in dirt anymore and our backyard is now a nice chill place to hangout so wins all around lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Every loving green around me, on a good day can't be more than a 5 to 7. You fucker.

Oh I can certainly find those around me, I just choose not to play them when there are so many good courses around me lol

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

2 weeks away from a weekend of fun in Duval including Dyes Valley.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

N: Phil is a loving moron.

V: can’t tell who he’s apologizing to? The saudis or his peers? He might have committed career suicide here. Bye bye any chance of a Ryder Cup captaincy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think he's properly hosed. Like you can't say this and not expect to be banished, right?

quote:

...all of that unwound last week when comments from a conversation Mickelson had with Shipnuck were released. Mickelson called the folks funding the Super Golf League, "scary motherf---ers to get involved with," according to Shipnuck. He added: "We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates."

And there's, like, a lot of stuff like this.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

He’s also accusing the PGA of hoarding 20-30 billion dollars LOL.

BILLION.

Dude is burning every bridge to the point there was an all hands players meeting with the heads of the PGA Tour today.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

First sponsor to cut ties

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/phil-mickelson-kpmg-sponsorship-ends-saudi-league-comments-reaction-pga-golf

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

That’s his biggest one aside from Callaway. RIP Phil.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
What a dummy, managed to alienate all sides at once which is kinda impressive

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I am buddies with one of Shipnuck's coworkers at the Fire Pit Collective (it's loving Laz, wish it was Monday Q) and he can't say much but there's probably some much bigger stuff going on with Phil than just these comments. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that he has some very large gambling debts and was trying to leverage this situation to pay them off.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

quote:

'They killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights,' Mickelson told the author in an interview, per ESPN. 'They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates.'

It might just be me, but it's pretty hard to come back from a statement like that.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'm not sure what he was thinking (if he was thinking at all). Is his sense of self-importance so inflated that he just thought everyone was going to nod along, saying "yes, quite so. We shall give that dastardly PGA the old what-for", and then follow him to the Saudi tour like he was the Pied Piper?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
gambling debts are a hell of a drug

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Phil's in trouble for telling the truth about the Saudi's more than supporting the dumb SUPER GOLF LEAGUE. :newlol:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Phil's in trouble for telling the truth about the Saudi's more than supporting the dumb SUPER GOLF LEAGUE. :newlol:

Facts, you think KPMG gives a gently caress about the PGA Tour vs Super Golf League? They're the KSA's accounting firm.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
KPMG just cares about him being marketable and since he's likely silently suspended from the PGA and the SGL is probably dead in the water they've cut anchor

dont say the quiet part loud rich people

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/mi...gOVTABOTdvUgR50

Callaway “pauses” their relationship and Workday straight up dropped him.

Does he have any sponsors left?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Pro golfers are some of the most well paid athletes in the world and I've never actually seen any concrete allegations about the PGA that didn't boil down to "the PGA is hoarding money" with no evidence to back it up.

The problem with pro golf at the moment though is that nobody is dominating it which makes it poo poo boring to watch. Phil and Tiger were so great back in the day, especially alongside characters like Singh, Daly, Jimenez etc, because they gave everyone clear players to root for and follow for drama.

The Honda Classic was actually really interesting golf to watch, and the final day was full of drama, but...who the gently caress are all these guys? As someone that watches golf a bit, at least the highlights, I'm familiar with the guys on the leaderboard but they aren't "water cooler" names.

This is the danger of other leagues like the SGL (lol), if they ever actually take off and poach a bunch of the actual named players people will tune in to watch people they know.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Shouldn't it really have been "Golf Super League" instead of "SUPER! Golf League" anyways? :newlol:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If anybody needs protection, it's all the golfers toiling in golf's version of the minor leagues. gently caress the members of the PGA.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

abigserve posted:

Pro golfers are some of the most well paid athletes in the world

*snip*

Is this true though? It's the only professional sport where you can show up, play, and walk away without making a dime if you had a "bad game."

The monetarily best years golfers have ever had, excluding end of season bonuses like the FedEx Cup/Race to Dubai, is like role player NBA money. Yes it looks wild when a guy takes home a check for $1m on Sunday but that only happens ~40 times a year and rarely more than once for the same guy.

The cost of being on the PGA Tour is significantly higher since you're on the hook for all of your own expenses. I think DeChambeau said it costs at minimum about $500k a year to play a full schedule with travel, etc. Obviously that cost probably gets mostly picked up in sponsorships but it's money that an NBA player doesn't have to spend.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
They don't make NBA type money but that doesn't mean they're not very well paid, the 120th ranked player in last year's money list made over a million bucks before any sponsorships. Compare that to, say, tennis, where the 120th ranked male made like $120k - PGA also has a pretty solid pension as well as an entire tour just for their retirees and a whole exemption process for once-good players who fall off

Someone like Bryson is gonna spend a ton more money on travel expenses than the 100th ranked guy since he travels in private jets and rents huge mansions for his entire team of trainers, psychologists, coaches, chefs, fancy gadgets, etc etc etc

Phil's whole beef is that the top guys aren't getting enough of the pie (which from a pure value standpoint is probably true, people aren't tuning in to watch whoever Matt Wallace is, but he still made almost 20% of what Rahm did last year), not that the PGA isn't protecting the Korn Ferry guys enough. Also Phil is making numbers up

wyoak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 1, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NBA's also an unrealistic comparison because they make by far the most money in all American sports. A more accurate comparison would be MLB.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

wyoak posted:

They don't make NBA type money but that doesn't mean they're not very well paid, the 120th ranked player in last year's money list made over a million bucks before any sponsorships. Compare that to, say, tennis, where the 120th ranked male made like $120k - PGA also has a pretty solid pension as well as an entire tour just for their retirees and a whole exemption process for once-good players who fall off

Someone like Bryson is gonna spend a ton more money on travel expenses than the 100th ranked guy since he travels in private jets and rents huge mansions for his entire team of trainers, psychologists, coaches, chefs, fancy gadgets, etc etc etc

Phil's whole beef is that the top guys aren't getting enough of the pie (which from a pure value standpoint is probably true, people aren't tuning in to watch whoever Matt Wallace is, but he still made almost 20% of what Rahm did last year), not that the PGA isn't protecting the Korn Ferry guys enough. Also Phil is making numbers up

The 120th highest paid player in the NBA is Luka Doncic. Irrelevant, I just thought it was funny.

Kirios posted:

NBA's also an unrealistic comparison because they make by far the most money in all American sports. A more accurate comparison would be MLB.

Edit: I only picked NBA because it's the most comparable player pool size. Either way, the 120th highest paid player in MLB makes $9.5m a year, Doncic above makes $10.1m.
Just to throw it in there, 120th NFL - $13.5m, NHL - $6m

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 1, 2022

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You get $10k for playing in the Masters even if you miss the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
drat I’ve been paying greens fees all these years when I could just be getting paid to get cut from the masters? That one weird trick the PGA doesn’t want you to know