Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

From what I remember, the image metadata names the data layers via their sha256 hash. So it's a bit roundabout, but you can still establish a chain of image integrity.

I'm not a docker expert so maybe someone else can correct me on that.

yeah, I'm not 100% positive, but a quick googling leads me to think the image digest was added in v2 of the manifest, while v1's image id was a hash of just the manifest (with nothing in the manifest to verify the image itself)

https://docs.docker.com/registry/spec/deprecated-schema-v1/

this vaguely mentions v1 being insecure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

from what I've seen of banks and stuff, they end up enforcing what's on the images by not allowing use of any outside images and building their own from scratch

I assume there's also other stuff on top of that for ensuring the images themselves aren't tampered with in transit, but it sorta indicates that where sourcing is concerned, the venn diagram of "people who care about image security" vs "people who fetch images from random public registries" is two circles

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

from what I've seen of banks and stuff, they end up enforcing what's on the images by not allowing use of any outside images and building their own from scratch

that's been my general approach -- grab the cloud image rootfs tarball from canonical, use gpg/sha256 to verify it, then import into a scratch image. at one recent gig I put together tooling to recursively fetch and flatten dockerfiles, so they could be reviewed and locally versioned

unfortunately unless you're at an organization with a very strong security culture, doing the above will just get you labeled as a :tinfoil: nutjob

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

that's been my general approach -- grab the cloud image rootfs tarball from canonical, use gpg/sha256 to verify it, then import into a scratch image. at one recent gig I put together tooling to recursively fetch and flatten dockerfiles, so they could be reviewed and locally versioned

unfortunately unless you're at an organization with a very strong security culture, doing the above will just get you labeled as a :tinfoil: nutjob

No one appreciates good security unless they get hacked. And even then, only if they do the cost benefit analysis to find out how much security is really worth.

Once you get hired as the chief cybersecurity officer or whatever title you get, you can start proposing and enforcing some real security guidelines. Just say "the solarwinds hack" a lot and you'll get your way.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

nudgenudgetilt posted:

sadly I don't think it'll happen because there is no money to be made in locking down the supply chain

instead it seems like we're moving in the direction of subscription services that scan images for malware and subscription image blacklists

Web devs are basically reimplementing Windows, aren't they.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
no

they’re reimplementing TOS

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Web devs are basically reimplementing Windows, aren't they.

funny enough, windows largely solved this problem years ago with signed binaries

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Soricidus posted:

linux users watch anime because it’s guaranteed to have subtitles

haha

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

new wallpaper

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Tankakern posted:

new wallpaper

holy siht

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tankakern posted:

new wallpaper

Back when Windows 7 was released this was accurate. :colbert:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The last not bad windows

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Back when windows 7 was released people in the EU were actually threatening to use linux and openoffice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mystes posted:

Back when windows 7 was released people in the EU were actually threatening to use linux and openoffice.

lmao Microsoft should have publicly told them to try it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

mystes posted:

What happened to these people, Windows and Microsoft is a thousand times worse nowadays.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kamrat posted:

What happened to these people, Windows and Microsoft is a thousand times worse nowadays.

microsoft learned their lesson, and bought all the politicians in europe too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kamrat posted:

1) They started a massive lobbying campaign and probably paid people off, plus they bribed standards organizations to accept OOXML as an open standard even though it has poo poo like binary blobs that are just like "do whatever office does here"
2) Some of the places were probably just doing it as a stunt to get free Office licenses anyway.
3) Also the whole thing where OpenOffice turned into a zombie project that wouldn't admit it was dead and killed the momentum for it despite LibreOffice still existing probably helped.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Munich, 1938: the French and British governments give hitler permission to occupy the German-speaking areas of Czechoslovakia

Munich, 2004: the Munich municipal government decides to use Linux

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Truga posted:

microsoft learned their lesson, and bought all the politicians in europe too

mystes posted:

1) They started a massive lobbying campaign and probably paid people off, plus they bribed standards organizations to accept OOXML as an open standard even though it has poo poo like binary blobs that are just like "do whatever office does here"
2) Some of the places were probably just doing it as a stunt to get free Office licenses anyway.
3) Also the whole thing where OpenOffice turned into a zombie project that wouldn't admit it was dead and killed the momentum for it despite LibreOffice still existing probably helped.

Can't say that I'm surprised. :/

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Munich, 1938: the French and British governments give hitler permission to occupy the German-speaking areas of Czechoslovakia

Munich, 2004: the Munich municipal government decides to use Linux

Wasn't there a thing about the state of Schleswig-Holstein switching to Linux? Maybe there's hope yet.

If we can get the whole of Germany to switch to open source we might get the rest of Europe to start adopting it as well. So in like 20 years the whole of Europe will be using Linux.

2042 Is the Year of Linux on the Desktop, you heard it here first folks.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mystes posted:

4) also that whole thing where open/libreoffice started as a hellfucked 1980s codebase just like msoffice, only the efforts to update it with modern tech have been more scattered with worse outcomes

like, you're burying the lede here. l/ooffice can't compete head to head with ms office outside of being cheaper, and that's a major factor in why it never won

you know how x86 took over the world? basically amounts to: with huge quantities of money and talented engineers, you actually can polish a turd. if you scratch the shiny chrome outer layer there's still poo poo underneath, but it has enough structural integrity that most people don't notice or care

openoffice simply never had the budget to polish their turd to the same level as microsoft's

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

openoffice has been completely dead for like 5 years, maybe you mean libreoffice?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i mean if you're gonna post long form commentary about the current state of office software it's a little weird if you keep mentioning a completely dead and supplanted project, might as well namedrop abiword while you're at it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

in this analysis, i will compare reddit to ultimate bulletin board

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the post is entirely accurate for libreoffice, a project that is alive but less funded by far than it was 10 years ago, and indeed clearly falling further and further behind office.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Office itself has barely changed in the last 15 years

The major change has been Microsoft moving everything else to a cloud subscription model that makes office basically free once you're using the other stuff.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 28, 2022

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think its a moot point anyway since using any of the several online options is way better for document management anyway. msoffice's main competition is probably 365 and the latter is way better for that alone. i imagine there's a long tail of dinosaurs who manage their business via forwarded email chains and samba shares but i happily haven't needed to interact with those very much

i think ive opened libreoffice 5 times in the last 5 years and it was always to read a thing that someone else sent over email that wasn't in a pdf for whatever reason, and then to close it again

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Office itself has barely changed in the last 15 years

The major change has been Microsoft moving everything else to a cloud subscription model that makes office basically free once you're using the other stuff.

cloud integration, live collaboration and versioning, while perhaps not a lot to add over 15 years, are still kind of big features though, to a point where libreoffice kind of doesn't fit the workflows people use anymore.

e: though, thinking about it, most important feature is latexish support for equation editing.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 28, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

someone tell these f$#%s at my work that they can use office 365 to colaborate on their lovely 90 page word document and stop passing it around like it's a joint via email attachment.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Last Chance posted:

someone tell these f$#%s at my work that they can use office 365 to colaborate on their lovely 90 page word document and stop passing it around like it's a joint via email attachment.

"I sent you the link to the sharepoint doc"
"Says I can't access it [because IT screwed something up or we're on different domains because big company]"
"Okay I'll never use sharepoint again because email always works"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way the real upside for linux is that using the web version of the o365 apps tends to do all you really need. unless working with these documents is your primary job function, in which case you probably should not have been on libreoffice at any point ever.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nacho libreoffice

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

in other news, phoronix found an interesting branch again

Benchmarking The AMD EPYC Speed Boost Coming To Linux 5.18, Thanks To Scheduler/NUMA Improvement

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Progressive JPEG posted:

i mean if you're gonna post long form commentary about the current state of office software it's a little weird if you keep mentioning a completely dead and supplanted project, might as well namedrop abiword while you're at it

not sure you're really following what was being discussed champ

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BobHoward posted:

not sure you're really following what was being discussed champ

chimp

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I looked it up and abiword still exists, last patch release was july 2021

meanwhile a perpetual office 2022 pro key in sa-mart costs twenty bucks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

meanwhile a perpetual office 2022 pro key in sa-mart costs twenty bucks
There's no such thing as office 2022. Also, those keys are probably not actually legal (they're from companies doing things like reselling volume keys in violating of their license) so it would be a bad idea to use them for a company and they could theoretically stop working in the future although that's unlikely.

The best legit deal for personal use is currently the office 365 family plan which gets you something like (1TB of storage + 5 desktop installations of office ) x 5 users and can periodically be picked up for like $60, although who knows if that will last.

I don't think libreoffice is actually in itself necessarily worse than office in most ways but it does have a problem with catching on in that 1) it's hard to be 100% compatible with office and nobody wants to be like "sorry your file doesn't work for me because I'm dumb and using libreoffice" and 2) most people either need very little functionality and can use google docs or the web version of office OR are really used to exactly how everything is in office so the differences are incredibly annoying in it's impossible to switch.

There are a lot of companies still using VBA/com add-ins for office too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 1, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i have been playing the new smash hit george ronald reagan martin video game elden ring on my linux system

it works pretty well on day one, and the anti cheat system has even been specially modified to work in a linux compatibility environment. of course valve probably leaned on bamco to make the anti-cheat work since valve have yet another stupid doomed linux gaming hardware thing coming out right now that they're going to abandon in six months just like all the others but hey i'll take it. apart from the anti-cheat stuff it's still pretty cool technological progress in vkd3d/proton/whatever.

that being said it is a bit stuttery in open world areas, but supposedly it's like that on windows too. whether it is worse under linux i do not know.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 1, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i have been playing the new smash hit george ronald reagan martin video game elden ring on my linux system

it works pretty well on day one, and the anti cheat system has even been specially modified to work in a linux compatibility environment. of course valve probably leaned on bamco to make the anti-cheat work since valve have yet another stupid doomed linux gaming hardware thing coming out right now that they're going to abandon in six months just like all the others but hey i'll take it. apart from the anti-cheat stuff it's still pretty cool technological progress in vkd3d/proton/whatever.

that being said it is a bit stuttery in open world areas, but supposedly it's like that on windows too. whether it is worse under linux i do not know.

proton is loving amazing right up until the moment it isn't, and then it becomes absolutely rage inducing

take jurassic park tycoon 2 for instance. about half the game modes (the "campaign" mode, and a couple of the chaos theory modes) work perfectly, but the other half crash on load. getting a game to 50% completion after 40 hours of play, only to be blocked from any further progression is a helluva buzzkill

for better or worse, this only happens on my amd/nvidia system, so I guess I have the option of using my underpowered all-amd system to finish the game as a 640x480 slide show

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah amdgpu is definitely the way to go for linux gaming. it was a loving ad right in the windows 10 control panel that made me pull the trigger and buy a new amd-based system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
i am also using proton to play elden ring, although I can't play online for some reason. otherwise works nicely. i also have fsr forced on which seems to give me a few more fps