Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mdYhlqJl8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

its really amazing how great riki and the nopon are, considering takahashi started with chu-chus

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd hug a Nopon. I feel like they'd be super soft and cuddly.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nopons remind me of Popples. Any other 80s kids remember popples? They’re loving adorable.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Okay, I decided to play Torna since I wanna get caught up on everything, and I’m stuck in camp.

Hitting rest just brings up a chat about cooking. Pressing B does the same thing. I can’t bring up a menu with start, and I had already done all the chat options. I am just stuck in a loop of cooking chat. What the gently caress?

Does the camp autosave? Or am I going to have to start over the first half hour or so?

Found out what I missing!

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 20, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Junpei posted:

I'd hug a Nopon. I feel like they'd be super soft and cuddly.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Finished Torna. Enjoyed it so much. They could have done a lot more with developing Minoth because he was just kinda there to be a bonus blade for Addam. I'm not quite sure I totally get the ending with Jin torching his memories and then going on to team up with Malos, but it's been a long time since I paid attention to the story of XC2.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"gently caress Amalthus" mostly, with a side of rage against the Architect*. He's not exactly in a right frame of mind after eating Lorna and turning her into a popsicle, Malos saw an opportunity when they met again.

*To be fair to Jin the Blade system does suck

I'm fairly sure he didn't torch his memories though? He wouldn't have reacted that badly to Haze/Fan la Norne in the main game otherwise.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Omobono posted:

"gently caress Amalthus" mostly, with a side of rage against the Architect*. He's not exactly in a right frame of mind after eating Lorna and turning her into a popsicle, Malos saw an opportunity when they met again.

*To be fair to Jin the Blade system does suck

I'm fairly sure he didn't torch his memories though? He wouldn't have reacted that badly to Haze/Fan la Norne in the main game otherwise.

It's more in a literal "he burns his old journal of his past lives" sense

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Maybe if they explored more of his previous life.

It makes more sense if I think of Jin being the main character of Torna. He doesn't show Loras the diary detailing his previous lives when he finds it, so it's likely Jin was already kinda done with being tied to a human in a previous life even if that wasn't our experience in the game at that point, but I feel like there could have been some more explained/foreshadowed because it's a quick jump from Loras is my favorite person to I guess I'll eat her and live my best life.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He had to "eat" Lora to keep both her and himself alive (in a manner of speaking, memories yada yada). He didn't want to die and be reborn as a new person and forget Lora. He did it because he loved her, and he burned the journal/house to erase the traces of his past self.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Ok, that makes sense to me then. Maybe it's just that I can't remember why he's helping Malos in XC2 then. I really don't remember the plot of XC2.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Shyfted One posted:

Maybe if they explored more of his previous life.

It makes more sense if I think of Jin being the main character of Torna. He doesn't show Loras the diary detailing his previous lives when he finds it, so it's likely Jin was already kinda done with being tied to a human in a previous life even if that wasn't our experience in the game at that point, but I feel like there could have been some more explained/foreshadowed because it's a quick jump from Loras is my favorite person to I guess I'll eat her and live my best life.
I'm not sure how the hell you got that reading out of the situation, but okay.

He doesn't show her the book because the idea of "I knew these people, I loved these people, and now I don't even know who they are" is freaking him out, and he doesn't want to bring it up to Lora because he loves her the same way, and admitting that he found the book is like admitting that he'll forget Lora one day too.

And at the end, she's mortally injured and surrounded by enemies, and no one will be alive to mourn her. At best, Jin will be taken by the very people who killed her and used as a weapon. At worst, they'll use him as ingredients to make more things like Gort. Jin can't save her, but if he becomes a Flesh Eater... he can get revenge and, crucially, keep her memory alive.

e: beaten while typing this, rip

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

Ok, that makes sense to me then. Maybe it's just that I can't remember why he's helping Malos in XC2 then. I really don't remember the plot of XC2.
(final boss spoilers) Bros, man :'(

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I kinda want to replay XC2 now, but I'd like to do NG+ so I don't have to redo Merc levels, location affinities, and spend hours salvaging. Is NG+ a good time or is it too easy because of everything that transfers over?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shyfted One posted:

I kinda want to replay XC2 now, but I'd like to do NG+ so I don't have to redo Merc levels, location affinities, and spend hours salvaging. Is NG+ a good time or is it too easy because of everything that transfers over?

You can adjust your levels down to match the area, the exp you get becomes bonus exp you can trade for rare items.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

NG+ is a good time!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can adjust your levels down to match the area, the exp you get becomes bonus exp you can trade for rare items.
note that if you did any postgame farming, you'll need to downgrade your blades' core chips as well. the Tachyon chip basically makes you one-shot everything with a pulse for a good while

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Chapter 1 is so very long. Azurda seeing Jin and Malos after 500 years was a good time.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

note that if you did any postgame farming, you'll need to downgrade your blades' core chips as well. the Tachyon chip basically makes you one-shot everything with a pulse for a good while

I’m considering a NG+ run after a couple years not playing it and yeah, I remember the previous attempt basically had me selling everything I owned gear-wise just to keep me from trivializing stuff.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was there only one Vision theme in Xenoblade? Could have sworn there's the theme that plays when the vison starts and then another one that plays after you change the future.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was there only one Vision theme in Xenoblade? Could have sworn there's the theme that plays when the vison starts and then another one that plays after you change the future.

There was only one yeah, the regular music keeps playing even through a Vision, and then if you chance the future either by smashing the Vision Tag or just redirecting it it'll start playing Visions of the Future.

It really could've gone with two themes though; have Visions of the Future play during the vision and until it's smashed, then have some shorter theme play after you smash it before going back to whatever track was playing before because just having VotF play in 50% of all fights is just :psyduck:

In retrospect I'm honestly mildly surprised there aren't unique Vision and UM themes for Mechonis areas, considering they bothered making Irregular Bound for the ambush theme too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kinda weird the game is advertising "it connects the 2 worlds of the previous games together" or whatever. I liked that each title had largely unique (if still connected) settings. I don't think a big thing needs to be made of how it fits together.

Sorry to bring up an old post but I agree. Not everything needs to be an interconnected cinematic universe.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think it's ok for a trilogy to be connected when the sequel was also in the same universe and there was in fact a major plot point about it

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it's ok for a trilogy to be connected when the sequel was also in the same universe and there was in fact a major plot point about it

Yeah, for sure. There's nothing wrong with pushing back against cinematic universe stuff, because it really does suck, but it has no relevance here. It's a numbered trilogy where the relation between games is an integral part of the plot. Even if you're against connected sequels in general, you have to admit they're doing everything right here

Per their own words, they had this plan in mind from the very start, so it's not a surprise that XBC2 treated it as a late act plot twist while in XBC3 it's the central theme

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The late game plot twist to XBC3 is that Square Enix gave the okay to involve Xenogears in this.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Zeke and Shulk yelling "I'm really feelin' it" at each other and getting progressively angrier about who is really feelin' it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Sorry to bring up an old post but I agree. Not everything needs to be an interconnected cinematic universe.
wow i can't believe the sequel to xenoblade is a sequel to xenoblade, how dare they

when did the idea of trilogies become equal to sprawling cinematic universes

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I still think that XCX is ultimately going to be revealed as a "lost" alternate reality and everything got hosed up there because the piece of the Conduit that should've gone to that timeline ended up in XC2's instead. Or maybe they just write off XCX forever* and focus on the story of 1-3.

* or until Nintendo lets them go and make the MMO they wanted to make with XCX. Though PSO2:NGE now exists and basically fills that niche... :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think they will delve any bit of the plot to a lengthy aside for X. They have been sitting up the connection between one and two so just throwing X in there for shits and giggles sounds silly

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

* or until Nintendo lets them go and make the MMO they wanted to make with XCX. Though PSO2:NGE now exists and basically fills that niche... :shrug:
MMOs are nightmares to develop, and Nintendo isn’t going to dedicate that much money to develop such a game, nor the decent network to support such a game. Unless you mean an ARPG like Diablo with multiplayer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It would be pretty funny if a two-thirds of the way through Xenoblade 3 Elma shows up as a third mysterious silver-haired woman wearing a mask.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

wow i can't believe the sequel to xenoblade is a sequel to xenoblade, how dare they

when did the idea of trilogies become equal to sprawling cinematic universes

Yeah it was more intended to be a joke than me malding about the games picking up plots from earlier ones.

I'll be real, I don't really know about how connected any of the games are. I only know about the things that people complain the loudest about. Rex being bad at yelling, Tora/Poppi, the Gacha system for Blades. I did assume that any cross game interaction aside from Smash Bros was all DLC stuff so I don't know how likely that stuff would be followed up, I only finished XC1.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

It would be pretty funny if a two-thirds of the way through Xenoblade 3 Elma shows up as a third mysterious silver-haired woman wearing a mask.

Yeah but she doesn't really get friend zoned like the other two so it doesn't fit the theme.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Tetsuya Takahashi trying to make huge sprawling universes across multiple ambitious games is older than cinematic universes. It's just that Xenoblade is his most successful attempt. :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Yeah but she doesn't really get friend zoned like the other two so it doesn't fit the theme.

She does lose her boyfriend at some point in the past so it's close enough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pants Donkey posted:

MMOs are nightmares to develop, and Nintendo isn’t going to dedicate that much money to develop such a game, nor the decent network to support such a game. Unless you mean an ARPG like Diablo with multiplayer.

I know, but I’m sure people on that team still want to give it a try.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
New L.A. is literally gonna drop on top of the cast to set off the third act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Edit: never mind

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 2, 2022