Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

it is the thread for it. when i have to use android i just gave in and chomed
That's what I thought but was confused by the Edge recommendation, I had no idea they have it for android now too, holy poo poo. I mean it's still chrome though so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mobby_6kl posted:

That's what I thought but was confused by the Edge recommendation, I had no idea they have it for android now too, holy poo poo. I mean it's still chrome though so

they had to go all in since their phone pda thing runs it

and actually their launcher isnt too bad if you have to anroid

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
apparently it is a relatively common occurrence for anroid manufacturers to issue os/security updates and screw up the certification process, causing phones to lose the ability to do contactless payment because of the os thinking its rooted

(apologies for reddit)
https://www.reddit.com/r/googlepay/comments/sun25v/phone_updated_to_feb_security_patch_yesterday_and/
https://www.reddit.com/r/googlepay/comments/s8jtla/all_of_a_sudden_google_pay_contactless_payment/
https://www.reddit.com/r/googlepay/comments/siewao/gpay_stopped_workingcant_set_up_contactless_or/

lol at undermining confidence that you can reliably use your phone to pay, i have actually stopped carrying a wallet or any payment cards unless i am going to the one store i know doesnt take apple pay, lmao at the idea of this randomly not working at any time

not to mention the repeated posts like "all of the cards i add keep being deleted every morning and i have to re-add my card every morning before i leave to use public transit" like https://www.reddit.com/r/googlepay/comments/sj4cfm/cards_removed_daily/

lmao anroid

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
paying with my watch is nice i guess but it's not that much better than carrying a card that i'd stick with it past one or two fuckups

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

when you contort your wrist around to tap it on the payment terminal you look dumb and everyone in line behind you is laughing internally and going to tell their partner about it when they get home

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

when you contort your wrist around to tap it on the payment terminal you look dumb and everyone in line behind you is laughing internally and going to tell their partner about it when they get home

paying with your watch at the gas pump when it’s freezing outsize is very nice.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

paying with your watch at the gas pump when it’s freezing outsize is very nice.

lmao imagine having an internal combustion car in 2022, still paying for gas like a sucker. having to worry about the price of oil per barrellm just imagine it lmao. oh no russia is at war now better go fill a trash bag with gasoline

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmao imagine having an internal combustion car in 2022, still paying for gas like a sucker. having to worry about the price of oil per barrellm just imagine it lmao. oh no russia is at war now better go fill a trash bag with gasoline

Agreed. But when I did have an ICE car it was nice.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jenny Agutter posted:

didn't really have you pegged as a tesla stan, wild.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

carry on then posted:

didn't really have you pegged as a tesla stan, wild.

???

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

there's absolutely nothing to be confused about in the post, try reading it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

carry on then posted:

there's absolutely nothing to be confused about in the post, try reading it.

youre the one confused buddy, i hate tesla

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

I wonder how the massive portions of the country where on-street parking is the norm are supposed to charge their electric cars.

Oh well, nothing outside of Mountain View counts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jenny Agutter posted:

youre the one confused buddy, i hate tesla

being careful to specify internal combustion cars says otherwise

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

?????

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plorkyeran posted:

paying with my watch is nice i guess but it's not that much better than carrying a card that i'd stick with it past one or two fuckups

the extra security of Apple Pay is nice

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

carry on then posted:

yes in my post about how it sucks to buy gas i did specify that only gas powered cars have to be filled with gas. theres absolutely nothing to be confused about

Apr 7, 2003

Building 76m personal automobiles every year is utterly unsustainable whether they're internal combustion or battery powered.

The electric car 'revolution' is a feel good excuse for people to change their life minimally while they pretend they make a difference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's just that you're repeating bazinga talking points verbatim

I get that you are just comparing gas and electric cars in general but you sound exactly like a Tesla stan.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

perhaps we should all put our tesla opinions in our sigs, a pledge of sorts, to prevent wrongthink creeping in

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

[thinking really hard about how to criticize ICE cars ina yospos-approved manner] internal combustion is the blackberry of cars. tesla is the android of cars

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I wonder how the massive portions of the country where on-street parking is the norm are supposed to charge their electric cars.

Oh well, nothing outside of Mountain View counts

power cables running from peoples houses to the car parked in front of the house are pretty common here. it's sometimes kinda annoying when they don't suspend it high enough above the sidewalk or cheap out on the cover to run it on the ground.

Apr 7, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

power cables running from peoples houses to the car parked in front of the house are pretty common here. it's sometimes kinda annoying when they don't suspend it high enough above the sidewalk or cheap out on the cover to run it on the ground.

That would get people electrocuted here or get you sued when someone tripped over it, or just straight up get vandalized or stolen.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That would get people electrocuted here or get you sued when someone tripped over it, or just straight up get vandalized or stolen.

a house close to me has an electric car charging spot in one of the parking spaces adjacent to their house, with a clearly marked sign on the street marking it as such

Apr 7, 2003

Lysidas posted:

a house close to me has an electric car charging spot in one of the parking spaces adjacent to their house, with a clearly marked sign on the street marking it as such

There is no reserved parking in my neighborhood outside of handicapped spots. There are few garages or driveways and with 30' wide lots and multiple cars per household being the norm getting the spot right out in front of your house is pretty unlikely.

I frequently have to park up at the top of the hill a block away and walk back if I move the car on Saturday or any time after 4:00 PM.

Electric cars are a pipe dream for the millions upon millions upon millions of Americans who live in neighborhoods like mine across the country, you are better off pushing car shares or just developing around transit hubs than you are trying to make these places electric car friendly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

[thinking really hard about how to criticize ICE cars ina yospos-approved manner] internal combustion is the blackberry of cars. tesla is the android of cars

the overwhelming majority of cars run blackberry, yes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jenny Agutter posted:

just admit you struck out swinging

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

really Tesla is the Ubuntu of cars

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

carry on then posted:

just admit you struck out swinging

notoriously terrible poster confuses other posters with bad posts; claims victory [you are the terrible poster dont try to turn this around on me]

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pick any linux really, owning a tesla really looks like it replicates that experience of having things be blatantly broken out of the box and getting told "works on my machine/working as designed/git gud/you aren't sufficiently devoted to the cause"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jenny Agutter posted:

notoriously terrible poster confuses other posters with bad posts; claims victory [you are the terrible poster dont try to turn this around on me]

this is sad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

strangely every car except Tesla is moving toward android soon. right now most cars with screens have a qnx infotainment system where the built in services are Qt c++ programs along with the android and CarPlay programs. the architecture in the future is a qnx hypervisor with rt guests for like your hvac controls, vehicle options, digital dash, etc and an android guest to run the infotainment system applications like the radio and map software.

but everyone is just going to use CarPlay anyway instead of that android car stuff but maybe the built in apps will at least be useful to someone

Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

strangely every car except Tesla is moving toward android soon.

Soon your Android will crash literally multiple times a day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

going to find out if the watchdog can get tired

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol google has to handle the recall of its fitbit acquisition's smartwatches
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/google-recalls-the-fitbit-ionic-for-causing-burn-injuries-offers-full-refund/

has any company had a worse track record with acquisitions than google?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol google has to handle the recall of its fitbit acquisition's smartwatches
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/google-recalls-the-fitbit-ionic-for-causing-burn-injuries-offers-full-refund/

has any company had a worse track record with acquisitions than google?

aol or yahoo maybe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

aol or yahoo maybe
i recall an article looking back at the companies marissa mayer acquired during her run at yahoo. she spent yahoos dwindling cash hoard going on a spree purchasing just the most random collection of companies, almost all of which ending up getting written down to zero in short order

turns out, almost all of those companies were headed up by people she had directly worked with at google or were fellow stanford classmates

she got to yahoo, saw that it was probably in an unrecoverable state, and decided to just shower its money on doing favors for her friends

lmao

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

she got to yahoo, saw that it was probably in an unrecoverable state, and decided to just shower its money on doing favors for her friends

as opposed to a theoretical CEO that doesn't do this?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DuckConference posted:

as opposed to a theoretical CEO that doesn't do this?
are you familiar with the life and business career of the obscure peripatetic tech executive "steve jobs"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

aol or yahoo maybe

aol time warner was an incredible disaster for time warner, but aol was probably going to crash and burn anyway. maybe in some alternate world where they didn't buy tw aol would be a trillion-dollar company, but i think it's more likely that they'd be about where they are now post-spinoff.