Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

euphronius posted:

“civilian militia in plain clothes” is a deeply confused idea

Our government usually calls those people terrorists but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many people realize how close this is to happening somewhere in the Mountain West within the next few years. There's already impromptu civilian roadblocks in some places during fire season.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

euphronius posted:

An enemy of my enemy combatant.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

30.5 Days posted:

Our government usually calls those people terrorists but hey

or cops

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this is so loving bad lol. it almost worth reading for what a trainwreck it is

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

forkboy84 posted:

No you see, these are refugees from a warzone & THESE are economic migrants, from a different warzone. You can tell by the colour of their skin.

it’s so hilariously mask off that there’s so many ‘look at the horrors of this war happening to people like you and me’ articles and poo poo yeah

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

babypolis posted:

this is so loving bad lol. it almost worth reading for what a trainwreck it is

He has the far right "I'm the victim of my own blowback" schtick down pat, complete with injecting liberal self care language

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

It's a violent paramilitary gang armed by the government, op

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"Paramilitary" is probably being over generous here, actually. It's random people who wanted a gun.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I guess it's not fully random in that the people doing this are self-selecting because they want an excuse to do murders

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm not a party to war crimes performed by the roving vigilantes I'm hanging out with, I'm embedded with civilian militia in plain clothes :smug:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

It's a violent paramilitary gang armed by the government, op

I already said cops

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So is there a name for like a group of people not part of the armed forces or security services but armed by the government primarily because of their desire to make enemies of the state dead

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

The Oldest Man posted:

So is there a name for like a group of people not part of the armed forces or security services but armed by the government primarily because of their desire to make enemies of the state dead

ArmZ posted:

I already said cops

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

“terrorists”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

or alternatively “privateers” or “corsairs” or “pirates” also :: “terrorists”

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Laterite posted:

I wonder how many people realize how close this is to happening somewhere in the Mountain West within the next few years. There's already impromptu civilian roadblocks in some places during fire season.

And this poor family who could have been lynched because of A.N.T.I.F.A supersoldier rumors:

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/biracial-family-mob-antifa-rumors/
https://www.wired.com/story/antifa-social-media-rumor-forks-washington/

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Whenever this comes up I feel like it’s important to remind people just how remote forks is and how little of actual value is actually there other than a town to get supplies in if you’re taking in the sights of ONP. There are dozens of towns that are less remote and more significant that you would have to pass through before getting to forks. It’s absolutely at the rear end end of nowhere. Beautiful landscapes nearby, but just lmao at how self-important these idiots are to think they’d be on the first 1000 of locations selected for a rampaging antifa terror group to go gently caress with

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Whenever this comes up I feel like it’s important to remind people just how remote forks is and how little of actual value is actually there other than a town to get supplies in if you’re taking in the sights of ONP. There are dozens of towns that are less remote and more significant that you would have to pass through before getting to forks. It’s absolutely at the rear end end of nowhere. Beautiful landscapes nearby, but just lmao at how self-important these idiots are to think they’d be on the first 1000 of locations selected for a rampaging antifa terror group to go gently caress with

well the government and the media encourage that kind of paranoia. tucker carlson is telling them every night that the antifa and black lives matter armies have already conquered every city and are beginning to send mobs out to Real America and are smuggling in mexicans. after 9/11 the Bush admin wanted to stoke enough fear to get away with anything and so they told the country that the terrorists could strike at any time, anywhere. people thought their town might be on al qaeda's hit list because it was big enough to have a walmart.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Shear Modulus posted:

well the government and the media encourage that kind of paranoia. tucker carlson is telling them every night that the antifa and black lives matter armies have already conquered every city and are beginning to send mobs out to Real America and are smuggling in mexicans. after 9/11 the Bush admin wanted to stoke enough fear to get away with anything and so they told the country that the terrorists could strike at any time, anywhere. people thought their town might be on al qaeda's hit list because it was big enough to have a walmart.

I cannot overstate my hatred for our own local slime ball Andy Ngo

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
we cant discount that terrell is just making this up

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Oldest Man posted:

partisans, resistance fighters, freedom fighters

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thotsky posted:

partisans, resistance fighters, freedom fighters

they usually wear uniforms of some sort

not partisans which is vague

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
deputies? posse?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
filibuster?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well in america we usually called them pioneers and settlers

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

"Paramilitary" is probably being over generous here, actually. It's random people who wanted a gun.

yeah, the whole drive by Ukraine to bring over literally everyone sure is going to make a mess of accountability

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Victory Position posted:

yeah, the whole drive by Ukraine to bring over literally everyone sure is going to make a mess of accountability

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/03/1084113728/a-closer-look-at-the-volunteers-who-are-signing-up-to-fight-the-russians

quote:

A closer look at the volunteers who are signing up to fight the Russians

FADEL: So let's talk about the Azov Battalion. That regiment has a reputation for having the fiercest fighters in Ukraine. The paramilitary is credited with recapturing the southern port city of Mariupol from Russian separatists in 2014. And despite their neo-Nazi affiliations, they were folded into Ukraine's National Guard. Groups like this are what Putin uses when he tries to paint Ukraine as rife with Nazis. It's part of his justification for invading. Andree bristles when our producer, Graham Smith, asks about a symbol he's wearing.

GRAHAM SMITH, BYLINE: So I can't help but notice the patch on your shoulder.

ANDREE: (Unintelligible).

SMITH: I think it's a patch that's associated with kind of a right-wing political movement.

MICOLA: Cannot say that.

SMITH: What's the name of it?

ANDREE: Cannot say that.

FADEL: He won't say.

SMITH: Political movement.

ANDREE: It's not far-right.

SMITH: I don't know how to describe it.

FADEL: In times of war, people don't always ask questions about who's coming to defend them. And it seems like a lot of people are coming.

ANDREE: A lot of them come from Belarus.

FADEL: Belarus.

ANDREE: Yeah. A lot of them come from Lukashenko regime and Putin. A lot of them come from United States and Germany, Switzerland.

FADEL: You have Americans in your group.

ANDREE: We have Americans. And also, America's on the way.

FADEL: They're on their way.

ANDREE: Yeah.

FADEL: How many Americans would you say are in your group?

ANDREE: Cannot say this.

FADEL: You can't say this. I have to ask, is there any concern to have so many foreign fighters coming to Ukraine that you don't know who they are, why they're coming?

ANDREE: They all been checked.

FADEL: How do you check them?

ANDREE: Cannot say this.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
American Nazis thundering off to get churned into chunky marinara by Russian artillery is fine with me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean sure, but they're as likely to kill a bunch of civilians and go around looting and pillaging.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1499687243329515520

struggling to count how many foreign based media orgs we have that arent just the bbc and maybe al jazeera

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYC_COLLINS/status/1499870238808096778

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Some Guy TT posted:

struggling to count how many foreign based media orgs we have that arent just the bbc and maybe al jazeera

lol give me a break

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

All of them?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCTech/status/1499693576342622209

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5Ug1OW5O4

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1499863796692758535

uh oh the censorship is coming from inside the media!!!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

What will the Russians do without access to high quality western media?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1499863796692758535

uh oh the censorship is coming from inside the media!!!

it is kind of hosed up the media tells ukrainians to die for freedoms around the world but journalists won't even risk a prison sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vomik posted:

it is kind of hosed up the media tells ukrainians to die for freedoms around the world but journalists won't even risk a prison sentence

the media has its head so far up its own rear end, its absurd