Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie

just uh, expect load times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Mummy Napkin posted:

she's always down for a hug.

:same:

sb hermit

Scaly Haylie posted:

just uh, expect load times

did you spend your pooping time waiting for it to load or did you get to actually play a few rounds?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

i've been playing a lot of stardew valley. a game i've had since 2016 but only reached the 2nd year twice. the title for it's thread in games is so right

Scaly Haylie

sb hermit posted:

did you spend your pooping time waiting for it to load or did you get to actually play a few rounds?

i mostly just squinted at the optional campaign modifier toggles.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

i'm too afraid to bring my switch into the bathroom. what if i drop it in the toilet. or worse, what if my roommate sees me bring it in or take it out

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Scaly Haylie posted:

xcom 2 collection is $5 on the switch eshop right now. realized i had to take a poo poo as i was getting ready to boot it up but then i became overjoyed knowing that i can play xcom 2 on the toilet

awww poo poo thanks for the heads up!!! seems like nintendo like to bury deals like this in the farthest corner of their games cupboard

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Heather Papps posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi!

that makes a lot of sense to me. i really should give dark souls another go. or just play this elden ring.

honestly ds3 really nails this whole thing thematically and aesthetically, the theme is a pretty strong "this thing is ending and change is scary and often for the worse, but it was dragged on too long through unspeakable tragedies in the first place so enjoy the beautiful vistas that the death throes of the world give you"

bloodborne is probably my favorite to play and i love the lore hidden in all the items that you can use to piece together the history of Yharnam and the lost societies that fell before it, but it definitely goes a bit hard on the grimy blood 'n beasts aesthetic at times

elden ring so far seems pretty colorful with a lot of very pretty things to look at in between all of the horrible monsters and blighted spots. i'm still pretty sketchy on the overall plot because i spend all my time wandering around finding rare flowers but the overall vibe seems to be way more softly melancholy, like a fiona apple song with with a double-jumping ghost horse

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i did it. i bought elden ring. played about 90 minutes so far. i haven't played a souls before and i'm enjoying it. i like the fact that i don't understand what's going on, there's a lot of mystery to work out. the world seems frickin huge. the only thing that i don't like are the messages that are all over the ground, they're goofy and immersion breaking. i'm assuming that these will become sparser as i get away from the nub area.

kalel

I finally got rid of 99% of my old games and consoles that I'm never going to play (or that I can emulate if I really want). sold em to a local vintage game store so hopefully they find a good home :3

while I was gathering them up I did get a little bit of nostalgia, some of them I've had since I first started gaming. I'm glad to be rid of them though, I have a whole bunch of knick knacks that I have no use for and I just want to be done with it

Mummy Napkin

kalel posted:

I finally got rid of 99% of my old games and consoles that I'm never going to play (or that I can emulate if I really want). sold em to a local vintage game store so hopefully they find a good home :3

while I was gathering them up I did get a little bit of nostalgia, some of them I've had since I first started gaming. I'm glad to be rid of them though, I have a whole bunch of knick knacks that I have no use for and I just want to be done with it

i did the same thing about 5 years ago. i had that nostalgic moment where i was like "dang, what if i wanna play this stuff later?" and honestly, i haven't given it a second thought once i got rid of everything lol.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Dr. Honked posted:

i did it. i bought elden ring. played about 90 minutes so far. i haven't played a souls before and i'm enjoying it. i like the fact that i don't understand what's going on, there's a lot of mystery to work out. the world seems frickin huge. the only thing that i don't like are the messages that are all over the ground, they're goofy and immersion breaking. i'm assuming that these will become sparser as i get away from the nub area.

They do not become sparser lol

I Was The Fury

Try finger
but hole

kalel

don't give up, skeleton

Rockman Reserve

illusory wall ahead

x infinity

itry

Dr. Honked posted:

I Was The Fury posted:

They do not become sparser lol

Yup.

I feel like most people consider them a highlight of the series, but you could always play offline if you don't like them.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

What weapons have you guys liked in Elden Ring? I'm using an Uchigatana which is a big Katana but I'm going back and forth on whether to buy a longsword or mace to use. I really like that you can swap on other versions each weapon instead of having to commit like all the other games.

Also I cleared that first small area full of knights 5 times before noticing the stairway down to a treasure chest. That chest has the item that lets you apply Ashes of War to weapons although it sounds like it just appears in the first chest like that you open up.

itry

There's a double-bladed lightsaber somewhere in a chest in the starting zone. You should try that one.

I Was The Fury

Jolo posted:

What weapons have you guys liked in Elden Ring? I'm using an Uchigatana which is a big Katana but I'm going back and forth on whether to buy a longsword or mace to use. I really like that you can swap on other versions each weapon instead of having to commit like all the other games.

Also I cleared that first small area full of knights 5 times before noticing the stairway down to a treasure chest. That chest has the item that lets you apply Ashes of War to weapons although it sounds like it just appears in the first chest like that you open up.

I played a while with power stancing claymores, then warhammers as my strength increased. it was very glass cannon and I'm bad at timing dodges, but when I could land hits I would wreck nearly everything. Once I unlocked the re-spec mechanic I re-specced into an intelligence caster, with an int-scaling shortword and shield for when mana runs out. Also very fun, but the 100%phys shield means I don't have to rely on dodging so much.

next respec I think I'm going dex because I've found two whips and I'm obsessed with powerstancing

Farecoal

There he go
Anyone know of any WW2 turn-based tactic games? I have a hankering for a game that isn't grand strategy like Hearts of Iron or a real-time game like Men of War

biosterous

if you get the mod to turn off the scifi elements, Silent Storm

best explosion + building destruction physics in a turn-based tactical game i've played

it's set in wwii, but as you follow the plot a scifi thing happens, but the "No PK mod" makes it so that all enemy dudes that would have the scifi stuff just have high levels and powerful guns instead

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Farecoal posted:

Anyone know of any WW2 turn-based tactic games? I have a hankering for a game that isn't grand strategy like Hearts of Iron or a real-time game like Men of War

if you can handle the power of friendship being the key to defeating the not-nazis, valkyria chronicles 1 or 4 on steam rock

Scaly Haylie

biosterous posted:

best explosion + building destruction physics in a turn-based tactical game i've played

it's set in wwii, but as you follow the plot a scifi thing happens, but the "No PK mod" makes it so that all enemy dudes that would have the scifi stuff just have high levels and powerful guns instead

what kind of scifi weapons and poo poo does the game usually have, if you can say without spoilin?

Pro Target

Jolo posted:

On my first playthrough I went through most of the game with the Bastard Sword because it was the earliest greatsword I could find. Near the end, after I got the abiltiy to purchase all the upgrade stones, I switched to the actual weapon Greatsword for the rest of my playthrough because thats my preferred way to play strength.

On my current, second playthrough I've been doing Int and using the Moonveil katana and its strong to the point of being broken, IMO. I can put out a ton more DPS in the midgame than I could during the endgame on my first playthrough

Pro Target

I love the game. Its everything I could have asked for in a new fromsoft game. Also it gives me an excuse to reference some of their older games (kings field 3 and shadow tower abyss come to mind) as comparison points which is an opportunity I will always take.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
is it any more accessible/easy than the original dark souls

Rockman Reserve

Pro Target posted:

I love the game. Its everything I could have asked for in a new fromsoft game. Also it gives me an excuse to reference some of their older games (kings field 3 and shadow tower abyss come to mind) as comparison points which is an opportunity I will always take.

let’s not forget Eternal Ring itself y0

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Sarah Cenia posted:

is it any more accessible/easy than the original dark souls

I'm not very far in but it definitely has some nice things that would've been nice to have in the earlier games:

No weapon durability. Usually this wasn't a big deal but it's nice to not even have to think about it.

Freely swap enhancements on/off of weapons without losing resources. In other games if you turn your Falchion into a Crescent Falchion it uses an item and if you upgrade it you're using rare items to level up that Crescent Falchion specifically. In ER if you have a Falchion +2 you can change back and forth to a Crescent Falchion + 2 all day long without losing anything.

Easier to summon npcs to fight bosses. In Dark Souls if you want to summon a friendly npc you have to be human to do it and that either requires an item or for you to have killed a boss to become human again. In Elden Ring you don't need a humanity type state and they put the summon right by the door, at least for one early boss fight. In Dark Souls being human also opened you up to player invasion, so I would often remain hollowed when progressing towards bosses and missed out on many npc summons in those games.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Jolo posted:

My Prisoner build is built around Dex/Bleed so the Uchigatana is a must. (There's a special one Meteoric Ore Blade in Celia that has a gravity attack for the weapon art that grabs everyone around you into a circle and brings them close while stunned. Devastating.) I've got the Uchinagata up to +15 and I'm about 30 hours in, wrecking stuff. Super fun.

There are tons of varieties based on what you wanna do. If I ever play again (or if I respec), I might see what kind of clobbering I can pull off with the Grafted Blade Greatsword you get for completing Castle Morne

biosterous

Scaly Haylie posted:

what kind of scifi weapons and poo poo does the game usually have, if you can say without spoilin?

non-plot: there's a few lasers, and the game has been described as "dieselpunk" for the scifi elements

plot, kinda: the secret bad organization has been manipulating both allies and axis to use them to develop their lil mechsuits and also their doomsday device

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Farecoal

There he go

biosterous posted:

Sarah Cenia posted:

if you can handle the power of friendship being the key to defeating the not-nazis, valkyria chronicles 1 or 4 on steam rock

Thanks to both of you, they both look interesting!

Farecoal

There he go
Also started playing War Thunder again. Few things in video games give me greater joy than sneaking up on a tank as an L3/33

beer pal

i used the cool backflip sword you get in an evergaol for a long time and then switched to an int scaling greatsword and now ive been using a cool coiled greatsword that does black flame damage

i think it's the most accessible souls game, its pretty explicitly tutorialized, you have ashes to summon guys for help in addition to the player/npc summons, and if you are having a hard time with a boss or area you can just go somewhere else to level up and come back later. so all together you have much more control over difficulty than in previous games

also i can't seem to find my way to the volcano manor is there a trick to getting there or am i just missing the path

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Pro Target

beer pal posted:

i used the cool backflip sword you get in an evergaol for a long time and then switched to an int scaling greatsword and now ive been using a cool coiled greatsword that does black flame damage

i think it's the most accessible souls game, its pretty explicitly tutorialized, you have ashes to summon guys for help in addition to the player/npc summons, and if you are having a hard time with a boss or area you can just go somewhere else to level up and come back later. so all together you have much more control over difficulty than in previous games

also i can't seem to find my way to the volcano manor is there a trick to getting there or am i just missing the path

its a pretty straight shot up Mt. Gelmir. theres a couple spots where you have to like, run around lava and drop off crags or w/e but it isn't a hidden path

e: alternate route: you can let the Iron Virgin at the bottom of the glintstone elevator thing in Raya Lucaria grab and kill you and it sends you directly to the interior of the manor

Pro Target fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 7, 2022

beer pal

thanks, ill look around some more. i ran into the broken bridge by the corpse shack and figured there might be like a teleporter to get in there or something. i got abducted into the lava area a lot earlier too, but couldn't find a path anywhere from there but to the boss fight

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Pro Target

beer pal posted:

thanks, ill look around some more. i ran into the broken bridge by the corpse shack and figured there might be like a teleporter to get in there or something. i got abducted into the lava area a lot earlier too, but couldn't find a path anywhere from there but to the boss fight

Right next to the place you get teleported to, you can do a running jump down into the main level. You can't get back there from the grace though, and I'm not sure if you can get sent there again the same way

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
hello friends, me and some goons play this really cool mobile game Bruh Stars and we are looking for more club members, just seeing if anybody in BYOB would like it you can click the thread below for a nice writeup I did, thanks :)))))))

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993138

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i posit the following:
the characters harry and kim in the video game disco elysium are based on t-rex and utahraptor from dinosaur comics

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
aw poo poo i staretd playing disco elysium ages ago but stopped, i need to bump that up the backlog. what good Video Jame that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
same dynamism (trex proposes dumb stuff, utah is unimpressed, but usually entertains him - also best buds forever), trex has a complicated relationship wrt sexuality whereas utah is confident and gay, t-rex hears supernatural voices while utahraptor remains sceptical. also t-rex is green like harry's jacket, and utahraptors orange like kims jacket

discuss

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)