Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

life is killing me posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or not, but seems better here than the DIY thread:

Our power went out twice overnight two nights ago, the second time after they allegedly fixed whatever issue caused the outage. Find out in the morning yesterday that the water heater breaker is tripped, so I reset it. Well, I’ve reset it like four times now. It worked a bit last night for hot water to do the dishes, but I’m pretty sure our shower in the master bath trips the breaker when we start it. As a result we cannot seem to get a hot shower and I’m left wondering what the hell about the outage caused this. But more importantly, do we call a plumber or an electrician for this? I’m thinking electrician but not really sure what to do here.

Heater is tankless, but does have a hot water storage tank. We have never had problems with the water heater, but we’ve had problems with the HW recirculating pump before, to the point where it just plain doesn’t work.

I would call a plumber.

Best guess is that a pump or fan on the water heater is in a failed state and trips the breaker by pulling too much power when the shower demands hot water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

EricBauman posted:

... said it'd be best to put a slit either in the top or directly underneath, for air flow. That seems like another great idea that the previous guy didn't have.
Wait, was the radiator effectively just buried in the wall with no airflow from the room to it?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Radiator covers are the dumbest poo poo, they stop the room heating properly, don't counteract cold air effect from the windows (which is why radiators are positioned under Windows in the first place) so make the room feel draughty, and if you have the trv inside the cover the radiator will be closed nearly all the time.

And they look poo poo. If you hate the radiator that much buy a nicer radiator. I've never seen a radiator cover where the rest of the room has been interior design perfection...

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

SpeedFreek posted:

Wait, was the radiator effectively just buried in the wall with no airflow from the room to it?

Not quite.

This is more or less a before and after (of the wider unit I'm taking out today):

At the top, there is a 20cm tall empty chamber, behind the top slat. The top of the radiator is over 30cm below the windowsill. That space and especially that top 20cm is where a lot of heat pools up. The underside of my windowsill is basically the part of my entire living room with the best heating.

The wall color behind this thing is also striking.

The guy who redid the apartment in 2015 must have been living with this 70s pink beige wall paint for a long time.
And the wall texture itself is insanely ugly and old fashioned too, of course.
The problem is that I can't just remove the radiators and have the walls smoothed. Because of the shared heating, the radiators need to be replaced immediately, or a quarter of the building doesn't get heat. I still need to decide on how to sequence the different parts of the renovation, which is made harder by the fact that I also need to live and work in this place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EricBauman posted:

The problem is that I can't just remove the radiators and have the walls smoothed. Because of the shared heating, the radiators need to be replaced immediately, or a quarter of the building doesn't get heat.

The pipe needs to be plugged at these two locations:

Or bypassed like this:

(probably with some overly long pex so you can get it out of the way when working on the wall)

If the system is vented properly (so it self bleeds) this would be merely a quick shutdown to put in the bypass and another one to put the radiator back in the loop. I get coordinating that with the building might be difficult depending on management, but there's no reason 1/4 of the building would be without heat.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Yeah, the coordination is the issue. With the buiding AND with the install company.

The install company that does the radiators is the only company allowed to do ANYTHING with the heating in our building. They're incredibly bad at planning and admin and I've had to chase them for everything. It's taken me three months to even get a quote for four new radiators plus install and I won't even get a delivery date until a week before they come. If I tell them to seal it off and then have to get back to them once the wall is done, I think that's going to take the better part of a year.

At least the new radiators will be smaller than the old ones, so there'll be plenty of room to work around them with the plaster and paint job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EricBauman posted:

At least the new radiators will be smaller than the old ones, so there'll be plenty of room to work around them with the plaster and paint job.

That's not too bad then. There are also some solutions with heat reflective backer boards you could slide behind the radiator and mount to the wall that will also cover the area you may not have been able to access for repair/paint.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CancerCakes posted:

Radiator covers are the dumbest poo poo, they stop the room heating properly, don't counteract cold air effect from the windows (which is why radiators are positioned under Windows in the first place) so make the room feel draughty, and if you have the trv inside the cover the radiator will be closed nearly all the time.

And they look poo poo. If you hate the radiator that much buy a nicer radiator. I've never seen a radiator cover where the rest of the room has been interior design perfection...

Visit somewhere like a Frank Lloyd Wright house and you will!

e: the radiators in this room are beneath the windows

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 4, 2022

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Our radiator covers are a fairly thin, perforated metal and the radiators still do a good job heating the house. They look nice and also keep the toddlers from jamming stuff into the radiator nooks which is a big QOL improvement.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

In case you thought you had it bad, my friend bought a house last year, the finished basement flooded a few weeks ago when we got snow melt, and she's been ripping up tile and replacing drywall all over the place. She opened up a wall in the room the PO had used as a master bedroom that had gotten wet, only to find they had drilled in to run EMT for a baseboard heater -- straight through a water supply pipe. So every time they ran the sink, the wall flooded, and they risked killing themselves or lighting the whole house on fire.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BadSamaritan posted:

Our radiator covers are a fairly thin, perforated metal and the radiators still do a good job heating the house. They look nice and also keep the toddlers from jamming stuff into the radiator nooks which is a big QOL improvement.

I never knew people covered their radiators.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

brugroffil posted:

Visit somewhere like a Frank Lloyd Wright house and you will!

e: the radiators in this room are beneath the windows

this looks... awful though?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

more falafel please posted:

In case you thought you had it bad, my friend bought a house last year, the finished basement flooded a few weeks ago when we got snow melt, and she's been ripping up tile and replacing drywall all over the place. She opened up a wall in the room the PO had used as a master bedroom that had gotten wet, only to find they had drilled in to run EMT for a baseboard heater -- straight through a water supply pipe. So every time they ran the sink, the wall flooded, and they risked killing themselves or lighting the whole house on fire.

I doubt it was a water supply pipe because it would not wait for them to turn on their sink to ruin their house. It was probably through a waste stack which is also not great but significantly less bad than a water pipe. Glad she caught it and is presumably fixing it though!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

You're supposed to like it or you aren't cultured.

(yes, a lot of his stuff is just awful. He went through a phase where he seemed to be in love with finished sheet stock/plywood, and a lot of his stuff like many other famous architects are just on this side of the line of completely unmaintainable. Falling Water is ready to fall into the creek, the synagogue that looks like a party hat near me has been filthy for decades (exterior). They tried to clean it once and it looked great....then was filthy again a year later.)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

the synagogue that looks like a party hat

lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

You can not be into it but calling it awful is kinda strong.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SpartanIvy posted:

I doubt it was a water supply pipe because it would not wait for them to turn on their sink to ruin their house. It was probably through a waste stack which is also not great but significantly less bad than a water pipe. Glad she caught it and is presumably fixing it though!

In the video she sent me it was a regular 1/2" or maybe 3/4" copper pipe, which doesn't seem like a drain pipe to me, not a plumber.

The good news is the fix is simple and relatively cheap, fix the pipe and bend the conduit out of the way. The joy of living in the only place in the country that doesn't let you run Romex.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

It's a UNESCO world heritage site

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

You're supposed to like it or you aren't cultured.

(yes, a lot of his stuff is just awful. He went through a phase where he seemed to be in love with finished sheet stock/plywood, and a lot of his stuff like many other famous architects are just on this side of the line of completely unmaintainable. Falling Water is ready to fall into the creek, the synagogue that looks like a party hat near me has been filthy for decades (exterior). They tried to clean it once and it looked great....then was filthy again a year later.)

I grew up less than two miles from that synagogue.

It's a bitch to clean. Man-lifts everywhere.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

it looks like an unpopular Pokemon

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So I'm about to order this tile for small bathroom floor reno (floor not shower base).

"The internet" says dark tile gets dirty af, I'm fine with cleaning regularly as I like the look. Do y'all agree with "The internet"?

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-langston-10-x-11-porcelain-concrete-look-wall-floor-tile-sost3058.html?st=1

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

falz posted:

So I'm about to order this tile for small bathroom floor reno (floor not shower base).

"The internet" says dark tile gets dirty af, I'm fine with cleaning regularly as I like the look. Do y'all agree with "The internet"?

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-langston-10-x-11-porcelain-concrete-look-wall-floor-tile-sost3058.html?st=1

I had dark gray slate tile in a bathroom in my last house and it didn’t get any dirtier than light tile. Im not sure why anyone would think that really

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Glad to hear. My very light vinyl floor currently always shows everything, and I have a black dog. I mainly heard that on hauzz or whatever, and a few reviews on Wayfair.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
My dark shower tile would show a lot of hard water spots and streaking before we got our water softener but it doesn't seem to be a problem for regular dirt/grime/etc

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I think dark tile can show sheen from water spots more, so can appear dirty even if it isn't really dirt. Edit-yes what the poster above me said.

Anything that is solid colour will be at more risk of looking dirty than a pattern I think.

Personally I prefer LVT to tile for hard floors, because it doesn't need ufh to feel comfortable and you can get any pattern, and you don't have grout to maintain. Also doesn't have a crack risk if you drop something on it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Well you can't get hex pattern can you :) well maybe they exist but they'd be the wrong shape and show seams.

Also you can get every pattern if you want a wood look and a few stone like options? I've never seen anything solid ish or geometric.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

My current house has very dark hardwood floors and I have two dogs with blonde fur. Every little dust bunny or scratch is very noticeable and it feels like despite vacuuming a few times/day, it never looks clean. Probably not as big a deal for a bathroom though, aside from water streaks mentioned above. It's not a priority, but one day I'd love to refinish them into something that's lower maintenance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That’s the situation where I found a roomba absolutely excels. It doesn’t replace proper manual vacuuming, but it can drastically cuts down on the number of times you need to do it to stay sane.

…Just don’t set it to automatic and leave the house…

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

MrYenko posted:

That’s the situation where I found a roomba absolutely excels. It doesn’t replace proper manual vacuuming, but it can drastically cuts down on the number of times you need to do it to stay sane.

…Just don’t set it to automatic and leave the house…
Oh totally, the roomba is a must. But this is what the floor looks like after running it - still just always looks smudgy even though I run roomba and manually vacuum daily and mop a few times a week. We have a mostly open floor plan on the lower level with massive windows and high ceilings which is great for many reasons, but all of the natural light really puts emphasis on the floors.

Not to mention all of the scratches from when this 100+ pound floof ball gets the evening zoomies.

Much happier with the lighter LVP and penny tile we chose for finishing our basement. Been renovating since September with a GC and looks like after many delays, we might actually wrap construction up this month. Run free, giant doofus dog.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

amethystbliss posted:

Run free, giant doofus dog.

:3:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Any asbestos experts here? I was operating under the assumption that this was cellulose... it looks like the google results for blown in cellulose.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja, that's recycled newspaper & flyers, etc. poo poo looks like a giant hairball.

I blew several bales of that into my walls a few years back.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Not asbestos

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

PainterofCrap posted:

Ja, that's recycled newspaper & flyers, etc. poo poo looks like a giant hairball.

I blew several bales of that into my walls a few years back.

BigFactory posted:

Not asbestos
:tipshat:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The dishwasher continued to leak after replacing the gasket. And as such, then Bosch was gone, with $1400 of my dollars!

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Ah, the hydronic heating system. Something failed on it two days before I was going out of town for a week, which caused it to emit an ominous whistling noise and constantly spray water out of a drain pipe. The heating company says it is likely the T&P (Temperature and Pressure) valve, but may be something else. The first step is to swap out the valve, then see if that fixed it. The diagnosis visit was over two weeks ago. The heating company claims the T&P valve is on backorder. So in the meantime I have to manually use the shut off valve to turn off the incoming cold water line to the hydronic system and turn it on when we do things that use hot water. I am kind of fed up with it!

I usually make a point of not working on the hydronic system because I don't want to break anything connected to the radiator lines, but I'm considering undertaking this repair myself. Because manually switched hot water with a constant leak is a real pain. But also if something goes wrong, or I get the wrong part, I could potentially leave the household without hot water and/or heat. Which would not be a popular move.

:mad:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So, Lowes hosed me on my Bosch order and I gotta wait longer.

In the meantime, I replaced the door bottom seal on my GE unit, and i'm still getting a slow leak during the wash cycle.

Is anything to be done about this? Or is it more likely that the tub/door have warped over time and it's just a sad, 15 year old dishwasher?

While googling just now i found a listing on GE's site that says a "New dishwasher" needs several cycles for the seal to fully seat, but that sounds sketchy.

Edit: 2/3rd through a cycle, no leaks yet. Maybe there is something to it.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 7, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My Weekend, a photo essay.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any good outdoor/weatherproof sensors for a greenhouse?

Looking for humidity, temp, light level etc. Soil stuff would be cool too, but I imagine it's probably a pretty specific solution.

Edit: whoops, meant to put this in the home automation thread, point still stands. This is the summer of building a garden in my new huge backyard and I'm going hard!

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is there any truth to the complaints about bosch dishwashers not drying well?

Also gently caress me, yall was right, no one can even get one to my house. Wouldn't be such an issue if my current dishwasher sealed right :mad:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 7, 2022