Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

This. I have an array of 8x8tb spindles in a btrfs raid6, it's my primary media store, but honestly I just consider it a cache between usenet and kodi -- anything rare gets backed up elsewhere, but most of it can be obtained from usenet again in minutes. (really this makes me think I should drop it to raid5 now).

Over the course of two years, I've had to rebuild the filesystem once, because I was rebalancing from 6 disks to 8, and a curious cat disconnected the array's usb-c cable from the host, leaving the fs in a bad state. Otherwise it's been just peachy.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

in theory, btrfs can be smarter about writes by knowing the underlying array layout

in reality, you do it because you're bored, your data doesn't matter, and you hope to be able to catch a bug or two that might help it become production-worthy in the future.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

is it safe to use xfs on a machine without a battery yet?

bit of a rollercoaster ride all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I love how every post or high level "how-to" about zfs on linux (or any os, really) related completely ignores how unsuitable a default config zfs is anywhere but on a file server. The typical new zfs user spends about 6 months before they go "where the gently caress did my ram go?" and learn about configuring arc.

Uh, on. ZFS relinquishes RAM just fine (though you want it as big as possible because it's better than Linux's page cache), and its default config works ootb (though you really want to enable compression).

I wouldn't use it outside of file servers for other reasons, mostly because root on zfs is a trash fire on Linux.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ARC compression is enabled by default, and turning it off isn't the best idea.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

block-level device abstractions and redundancy should be separate from filesystems. there is no reason a filesystem should be handling n-level parity, especially in ways that are incompatible with other systems and even different FSes on the same box

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

you don't get protection from phantom writes, misdirected reads/writes, dma parity errors, driver bugs and accidental overwrites without doing it, though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

none of those things are anything the filesystem should care about or be unable to handle without also being the underlying virtual block storage provider.

- phantom writes: assuming you mean the write() call being made twice in a statistically negligible period of time, a sane filesystem should either look at two identical writes in the same go or with a reasonably accurate understanding that it's the same process and go "this is almost assuredly a mistake)
- misdirected reads/writes: on-disk filesystem implementations should always assume that the underlying device is accurate. is it zfs's problem if your ahci controller responds to your request to read a dozen blocks with goatse?
- dma parity errors: if your dma controller is sending incorrect error correction information and you can prove it, that isn't your filesystem's problem because it should only ever be assuming that device read/writes are accurate and reliable, because they should be.
- driver bugs: filesystem bugs
- accidental overwrites: with no detailed information as to what you mean, this sounds like an application/user problem

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

linux users: disks don't lie
everyone else: disks lie

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

user's intent a month ago: "the tenth line of /etc/passwd says my username is kazinsal"
the disk today: "the sector containing this dickhead's username starts with 67 6F 61 74 73 65 63 78"
the software raid sublayer: "the block containing this dickhead's username starts with 67 6F 61 74 73 65 63 78"
the file system: "the device says that the bytes I've read start with 67 6F 61 74 73 65 63 78"
the user: "what is that man doing to his anus? the filesystem implementation should have made this impossible"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

none of those things are anything the filesystem should care about

where does this "should" come from though? with file systems themselves being very well understood at this point it does seem a very clean win to drop the block device abstraction.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't care about layering violations when it makes my data safer. I'd get lynched if research data gets silently corrupted.

Do note that I actually have had several instances of just that happening, from sporadic garbage data returned from disks to just absolutely spewing the bus with hundreds of garbage blocks that the entire Linux storage stack did not even alert on.

Disks absolutely lie.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

bit of a rollercoaster ride all of this

not sure I see the rollercoaster -- mentioned I'm using an experimental filesystem configuration for throwaway data (coincidentally, though not mentioned, on a ups), I further clarify that you should only run that configuration if you're fine with thowing your data away and are more concerned with exposing bugs.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i remember using jfs for a while and it seemed fine

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I went ext2 -> ext3 -> jfs-> murderfs-> ext4.

Murderfs was quite good for the time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

i remember using jfs for a while and it seemed fine
i spent quite a while playing with afs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I went ext2 -> ext3 -> jfs-> murderfs-> ext4.

Murderfs was quite good for the time.

it's also recently been declared deprecated

they're killing murderfs :rip:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

it's also recently been declared deprecated

they're killing murderfs :rip:

Sometimes premeditated removal is a good thing.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 5, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

murderfs was a must if you had a large maildir deployment

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

AMD Posts Some New Linux Job Openings From Client CPU To Server

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

here's the job listing, in case you don't want to give traffic to people who make a business out of lying.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/10/22971108/valve-steam-deck-windows-runs-drivers-no-support

Valve releases steam deck drivers for Windows 10, so that it'll actually install and work. Except for the audio drivers, which have not been released yet.

In an ironic twist, it's now windows that doesn't have working audio, instead of Linux.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sb hermit posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/10/22971108/valve-steam-deck-windows-runs-drivers-no-support

Valve releases steam deck drivers for Windows 10, so that it'll actually install and work. Except for the audio drivers, which have not been released yet.

In an ironic twist, it's now windows that doesn't have working audio, instead of Linux.
That happened with Vista, when Microsoft changed the API and everyone failed to implement it properly.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

sb hermit posted:

Why would you install windows on something like the steam deck, why actively make it more crappy.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

People are installing Windows 10 for arm on raspberry pis. loving insanity i say

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kamrat posted:

Why would you install windows on something like the steam deck, why actively make it more crappy.

i guess some people really, really, really want to play fortnite on it, which epic won't allow for flimsy reasons that i'm sure have nothing to do with the rumors that their chinese masters at tencent are making their own crappy steam deck knockoff

something about anti-cheat and not being able to ensure kernel integrity on the deck, which they obviously care greatly about considering that fortnite is not only available on android, but requires sideloading to install

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 10, 2022

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
People are sick :barf:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

The_Franz posted:

i guess some people really, really, really want to play fortnite on it, which epic won't allow for flimsy reasons that i'm sure have nothing to do with the rumors that tencent is making their own crappy steam deck knockoff

something about anti-cheat and not being able to ensure kernel integrity on the deck, which they obviously care greatly about considering that fortnite is not only available on android, but requires sideloading to install

I thought the fortnite fad was over long ago, I hardly ever hear about it any more.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bungie also seems hell bent on not allowing destiny 2 on the deck, even though it uses the battleye anti-cheat system, which is supported on proton

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The_Franz posted:

bungie also seems hell bent on not allowing destiny 2 on the deck, even though it uses the battleye anti-cheat system, which is supported on proton

Isn't Bungie owned by Microsoft which has obvious incentives to not want to encourage a Linux based gaming platform.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op I play fortnite with my friends on the windows operating system, the os for people with friends

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't Bungie owned by Microsoft which has obvious incentives to not want to encourage a Linux based gaming platform.

owned by sony, which obviously hurr durr gnu/lurr

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

owned by sony, which obviously hurr durr gnu/lurr

microsoft jettisoned their corpse after squeezing every halo sequel out of them that they could, then they went independent for a while, now sony owns them

sony published titles like horizon actually run fairly well on the deck

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I suspect Bungie desperately doesn't want any additional workload for any reason, including Linux users complaining about stability/performance and the anti-cheat is a handy pretext.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op I play fortnite with my friends on the windows operating system, the os for people with friends

I refuse to have friends

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

how did a sixth grader get an account here?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Kamrat posted:

I refuse to have friends

I refuse to jump into bed with beautiful strangers who proposition me

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I refuse to jump into bed with beautiful strangers who proposition me

Same

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Scrotum Modem posted:

People are installing Windows 10 for arm on raspberry pis. loving insanity i say

that is ridiculous. there’s only one line of hardware that runs windows 10 arm well and it’s made by apple

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kamrat posted:

I refuse to have friends

every linux user does

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

patches adding support for latency nice just posted

https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/20220311161406.23497-1-vincent.guittot@linaro.org/

might make for a better experience for audio and games, and less lag for desktop stuff on low-end devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://boingboing.net/2022/03/16/hot-dog-linux-for-people-who-really-do-love-their-vintage-desktops.html