Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Failed Imagineer posted:

Although there's a couple of Reel Big Fish tunes that work.

Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts and My Very Own Flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Torquemada posted:

I’m sure I’m not the only person that considers Ska Sucks by Propagandhi to be the only barely acceptable ska song.

So you’re not a huge fan of ska. At least, that’s the impression that I get,

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

christmas boots posted:

So you’re not a huge fan of ska. At least, that’s the impression that I get,

Perhaps all his best friends are metalheads?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Torquemada posted:

I’m sure I’m not the only person that considers Ska Sucks by Propagandhi to be the only barely acceptable ska song.

This isn't really a Bombshell, we all know how Jaded you are. That said, with enough Knowledge I'm pretty sure One Of These Days you're Gonna Find You actually like some songs, even blasting them over your Sound System so loud you could hear them all over your Big City even from a Room Without A Window. Take Warning, it's not a Bad Town. Unity.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

This isn't really a Bombshell, we all know how Jaded you are. That said, with enough Knowledge I'm pretty sure One Of These Days you're Gonna Find You actually like some songs, even blasting them over your Sound System so loud you could hear them all over your Big City even from a Room Without A Window. Take Warning, it's not a Bad Town. Unity.

:hmmyes:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You’ll be telling me Elvis should play ska next!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elvis is an Anglicized version of the Gaelic name Ailbe which means "Rock".

Do you actually expect me to believe the quintessential rock musician and "King of Rock" was named Rock?

This has to be some sort of conspiracy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

FreudianSlippers posted:

Do you actually expect me to believe the quintessential rock musician and "King of Rock" was named Rock?

Ailbhe in Irish means "white", which lmao, is insanely appropriate.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I got your number (54-46) pal

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kirk Cameron's first name means church, and he is a religious nut.

Chuck Grassley is a shill for the agricultural industry.

And don't forget Scaramucci.

Reality is increasingly poorly written.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Let's not forget about Reality Winner.

Also, Ailbhe (Alva) definitely means "white/bright", is usually spelled with the H (or séimhiú), and is now a girl's name, but I must say the Elvis connection is new to me so cheers

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It being white rather than rock is even more fitting.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Failed Imagineer posted:

But some of the early 2-tone stuff is great, it's just ska-punk that mostly blows. Although there's a couple of Reel Big Fish tunes that work
there's some solid 2nd-wave but I'm a 1st-wave kinda gal (I am still kicking myself for missing Desmond Dekker's last tour :cry:)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The "East Indies" and the "West Indies" does not refer to the East and West sides of the Indian subcontinent.

HOW MUCH MORE DO I NOT KNOW??

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Butcher posted:

The "East Indies" and the "West Indies" does not refer to the East and West sides of the Indian subcontinent.

HOW MUCH MORE DO I NOT KNOW??

Only if you buy into Big Globe's propaganda about America existing.

Columbus knew where he was.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have an extremely common last name which means "savior."

My first name means "Christian." So before I got married I was Christian Savior.

This was completely by accident. My parents I'm sure had no idea. It happens.

Incidentally my husband's name is much cooler. His name means "Victory of the Almond People."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Really want to know that name but understandable why you didn't post it

e: i know mandel is german for it

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Funny coincidence, I'm currently working my way though Prince Buster's discography today while I work. Enjoying it so far!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Silver Falcon posted:

My first name means "Christian." So before I got married I was Christian Savior.

Incidentally my husband's name is much cooler. His name means "Victory of the Almond People."

I vaguely know someone who, when she transitioned and picked a new name, picked one that basically means Lucifer Devil. Because she's really into Satan, you see.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Friend of mine spend 10 years having IVF, finally has her baby, names him "Lucius", the year before Harry Potter comes out.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Silver Falcon posted:

Through no fault of her own, and in 3 different languages, my cousin's married name is literally "Butterfly Butterfly Butterfly"

I only realized it a couple years ago. When I found out how to say butterfly in a variety of languages. It's kind of cool when you think about it.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mostlygray posted:

Through no fault of her own, and in 3 different languages, my cousin's married name is literally "Butterfly Butterfly Butterfly"

I only realized it a couple years ago. When I found out how to say butterfly in a variety of languages. It's kind of cool when you think about it.

Names that mean something are great, even accidentally

My name means King From *town in Netherlands*

Growing up I had a pal named John and another named Bart. They were named after NFL quarterbacks Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr. I don’t know how their moms went along with that but I guess things were different in the 1960s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cat Hassler posted:

Names that mean something are great, even accidentally

My name means King From *town in Netherlands*

Growing up I had a pal named John and another named Bart. They were named after NFL quarterbacks Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr. I don’t know how their moms went along with that but I guess things were different in the 1960s

Pretty much all names everywhere mean something, except some 21st century American babyname word salads.

My name means "Oak Tree Of The Dark Lord"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

In a wonderful bit of irony, my last name means “Church Party”, and our family coat of arms is a white church with a red roof on a green foreground and blue sky.

I’m Jewish.

My dad’s family is German Protestant, so he converted to marry my mom, whose family is ashkenazi

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mine's "Peace of God Carpenter"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Chuck Grassley is a shill for the agricultural industry.
Please, you missed the obvious connection with his name:
https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/627163793412374528

for some reason the second tweet image is not loading but

The man has the absolute most insane lawnmower setup on Earth

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid

Grassley spent many long hours at Dairy Queen researching u kno what (advanced lawnmower engineering)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My grandmas liked each others first names so much that they swapped

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FreudianSlippers posted:

Only if you buy into Big Globe's propaganda about America existing.

Columbus knew where he was.

checkmate, globe heads

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Failed Imagineer posted:

Grassley spent many long hours at Dairy Queen researching u kno what (advanced lawnmower engineering)
I genuinely want to know what "u kno what" is, and if it doesn't make it immediately obvious why DQ is a good place for it, I want to know that too. Why aren't reporters asking the hard hitting questions?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lF0pK-SWJU

:ms: i guess

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Curly-headed Other Aenor checking in

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

"God beholds Kingston Upon Hull."

Or, if you add my middle name:

"God beholds the famous warrior from Kingston Upon Hull."

There was apparently nothing more notable about that branch of the family other than that they used to live in East Yorkshire.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I genuinely want to know what "u kno what" is, and if it doesn't make it immediately obvious why DQ is a good place for it, I want to know that too. Why aren't reporters asking the hard hitting questions?

If u kno u kno

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's a grandpa thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui9gSOSNOF8

I saw a video last week of some grandpa towing a whole bunch of lawnmowers behind his ride-on mower in a V formation, zipping around his lawn like a fighter squadron on maneuvers but I couldn't find it again

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
My dad is Phil from Philadephia

And my name can also be a shortened form of my birthplace. (think Cali from California)

Completely unintentional. It helps people remember my name when I introduce myself with a geography lesson.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alan Carr's name is Alan Carr, not James Carr.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That is not even close to the most insane lawnmower setup on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOASdSu9YU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN61pO94y-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DP_VeNAR4

None of these are, either, but they’re still counterexamples.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

"God beholds Kingston Upon Hull."

Or, if you add my middle name:

"God beholds the famous warrior from Kingston Upon Hull."

There was apparently nothing more notable about that branch of the family other than that they used to live in East Yorkshire.

The great stream, exalted son of Job.

Sounds cooler that way for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

'Priceless Rock, of whom God is my judge', if I am right about my last name being a derivative of Anthony.

My brother is slightly better with 'Priceless one, who is like God'