Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mine were always a little curled forward, no matter how cool I got the water (and this includes when they spawned many times. The first I freaked out, by the third time I was begging them to stop).

I do miss my axies, my big female would always swim over toward me to beg for food, but I couldn't invest in a chiller for them, and the lowest summer temp was in the mid 70's for them. Okay for a while, but for their lifetime, probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bilirubin posted:

Update: he is now ensconced in his new 20 ga long tank of luxury and seems pretty chill with it. Today I got natural slate tile cut to fit and will install that tomorrow. Looks great and I will use the trimmings for extra features for him to climb over. I assume the thermostat sensor is applied directly to the tile above the heat pad?

Now we will have some fun with properly pimping his crib out.

Update: the cut slate tile, even though cut to be shorter than the interior of the tank, is still too long so there is an overlap. I was going to take it in but damnit if hanging out on that bit of unevenness isn't now his favourite spot. And watching him chase down crickets now that he can scurry without the reptile carpet catching his claws is a lot of fun. I regret not having done this far sooner but better now than never.

He's curled in his humid hide prepping for a shed now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Skiffy is home! He had a sleep on his basking spot then went down the mound and is having another sleep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

learnincurve posted:

Skiffy is home! He had a sleep on his basking spot then went down the mound and is having another sleep

Aww what a cute little grumpopotamus.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Update! He had a bit to eat and then went and sat in his water

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

learnincurve posted:

Update! He had a bit to eat and then went and sat in his water

He’ll probably have a poo poo in there too in short order.

Torts like to soak their backsides, and it helps them pass their waste more easily. It’s good practice to plan around this kind of behavior (ie, expect to do a water dish clean 2-3 hours after feeding, etc)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Build Skiffy a miniature fully plumbed toilet and train him how to flush op

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He did indeed need his water changing.

Don’t be worried if your tortoise hides from you for the first few days they said, he will need time to get used to his surroundings…

Meanwhile skiffy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Build Skiffy a miniature fully plumbed toilet and train him how to flush op

lol there’s a reason why a lot of herp keepers attempt the leap to building a fully plumbed/filtered water feature for their animals, and it’s not just aesthetics

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i love skiffy!!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He explored every inch of his nursery last night, and then decided to go sleep on top of his watercress.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Skiffy update: he sleeps A Lot, as babies of all species are wont to do just to freak you out, while I play the “fun with humidity” game. I’ve another layer of a forest substrate coming tomorrow and some moss, and I’ll dig him up a dandelion or two and pot them up aand this is my life now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
agh, that super awkward thing when you come to post and you were the last person to have posted

Skiffy has been renamed "grump"

Goons elsewhere talked my 18 year old daughter out of getting rats and into getting a snake. She's just started working and saved up for a vivarium and the light fixtures which was set up with pictures of the snakes she was going to save for (along with a budget for the interior) taped to it and I have showed mercy so she's coming home to....

Somewhere in there there is a Blue Eyed Leucistic male Columbian Rainbow Boa born in 2019 'cos I ain't dealing with another baby.

Edit: from exotic pets in Dronfield if anyone knows the guy

Edit 2: the taxi driver had no idea what was in the boxes, especially the polystyrene one

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 7, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

agh, that super awkward thing when you come to post and you were the last person to have posted

Skiffy has been renamed "grump"

Goons elsewhere talked my 18 year old daughter out of getting rats and into getting a snake. She's just started working and saved up for a vivarium and the light fixtures which was set up with pictures of the snakes she was going to save for (along with a budget for the interior) taped to it and I have showed mercy so she's coming home to....

Somewhere in there there is a Blue Eyed Leucistic male Columbian Rainbow Boa born in 2019 'cos I ain't dealing with another baby.

Edit: from exotic pets in Dronfield if anyone knows the guy

Edit 2: the taxi driver had no idea what was in the boxes, especially the polystyrene one

A blue eyed leucistic Colombian rainbow boa? I thought the whole point of rainbow boas was their color, why would anyone breed for a Lucy form of it?

Edit: my bad, I was thinking Brazilian rainbows, Colombians don't seem to have that vibrant color to them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He's still hiding but this is his glamour shot from the website

edit: it's his undercarriage which is white

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 7, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He'd got stuck

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

dummy

He's pretty! What did your daughter think?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

my cat is norris posted:

dummy

He's pretty! What did your daughter think?

There were no words, just a long high pitched stream of noise :haw

He's gone back in the part of the cork hide he's supposed to be in and seems happy enough, I did get another much bigger cork tunnel to put on one side for the inevitable future larger vivarium though - we can fit an 8ft vivarium on the stand, and I'll guide her towards getting one custom made so we can go higher if he turns out to be a climber - the reason for the Columbian rainbow over any other snake was because he only needs 85f at the basking end.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Looks like yours is "het" for leucistic, so he carries the genes to make an all white offspring with blue eyes if bred to another het, or to a blue eyed leucistic. The chances would be 1/4 and 1/2 offspring being all white. It doesn't really matter if you don't plan on breeding him ever though.

Cool snake! Congrats on your new friends!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He had his mouse like a good boy and now anything white must be investigated

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh me again.

Got a decent picture of Gunter being a crabby boy and refusing to eat his mouse till I put his hide back over him

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"ssssstop watching me eat, it makessss me nervous!"

so cute

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Video of an apex predator at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XWlT-UrspI

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Man, despite having a deep love for tegus and their personalities, this one I have...idk, it's just not clicking for me? She's a beautiful little thing, and not at all tame -- which isn't her fault -- but I've not had the time (and excitement!) to dedicate to her that I think she requires. Probably time to find her a new home. A bit disappointing, but again, it's just a lot.

I will stick to snakes. Snakes are good.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

my cat is norris posted:

Man, despite having a deep love for tegus and their personalities, this one I have...idk, it's just not clicking for me? She's a beautiful little thing, and not at all tame -- which isn't her fault -- but I've not had the time (and excitement!) to dedicate to her that I think she requires. Probably time to find her a new home. A bit disappointing, but again, it's just a lot.

I will stick to snakes. Snakes are good.

There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes animals don't click with their people! Better to rehome her to someone who clicks with her.

poo poo, I had a ball python who was fine with me until she had a clutch of eggs that went bad; I had to remove them, and after that she was insane aggressive toward me. Like striking the glass any time I went into her cage. I had to rehome her, and she's doing better with a new owner because she had one gently caress of a grudge it seems.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is amazing https://imgur.com/user/Goldfisj

Currently on "Day 147 of posting stuff about my morphed axolotls"

"Recap for new viewers:

The salamanders featured in this series are morphed axolotls. Axolotls are paedomorphic salamanders, which means that they retain all of their juvenile, tadpole characteristics for life. When they near the end of their larval growth, their thyroid stops sending out signals for them to "grow up."

In the case of a morphing axolotl, the thyroid never stops sending these signals and they hit metamorphosis and turn into terrestrial salamanders. Their gills and fins are lost and they grow a tongue, eyelids, and strong bones made for walking. It is a pretty rare occurrence.

Gollum is 4. He has been with us since he was a 7 month old aquatic axolotl. He morphed when he was 10 months old.

Nyx is about a year old. She morphed when she was about 6 months old. Her owner felt like she couldn't give her the care that she needed, so she came here.

The Four Cheese Special, Halloumi, Grated Cheez, Bocconcini, and Taleggio, are around 10 months old. They are rescues from a bizarre, shady breeder situation.

The Cheeses' two siblings (Melted Cheez and Charcoal Cheez) arrived a few weeks ago. They were in bad shape, suffering from bacterial infections and parasite infestation, among other things. They are currently in recovery and doing better all the time.

Morphed axolotls are difficult to care for because there are virtually no guides on the matter. All information found is contradictory and sometimes even harmful. Most metamorphs die due to improper care and misinformation. I am aiming to change that one day at a time by sharing what I learn about these amazing, rare creatures.

Learn more about our metamorphs here!
https://www.instagram.com/salamanderwithasign/ "

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat that is weird as hell. Do they look weird to anyone else, or is that because we know they are axies and shouldn't look like salamanders?

So I am a bit concerned about one of our female torts. She hasn't laid this winter that I can remember, is pretty heavy still, but doesn't show any other sign of egg binding. Eats fine, wanders all over the yard, and now it's heating up so I expect more activity. I haven't seen her digging anywhere, or starting a hole and giving up.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
My wife just got a Giant African Bullfrog (Pixie Frog) so I guess I need to follow this thread now. Unknown gender until it gets bigger. About 1½" long right now.

Would a 25 watt incandescent be an okay way to warm the tank? The under tank heater they sold us doesn't seem to be strong enough.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 27, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You want to stick a heat mat on the side of the tank to get the ambient heat up to 75c - frogs don’t mind a daylight bulb but they are less evolutionary dumb than tortoises and the like so don’t need UVB

Edit: get a 100w bulb and a dimmer switch, you will use 25w but the bulb will last 4 times as long.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ok, so peel it off the bottom and stick it to the side instead?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 28, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
yes but carefully, they say don't because you can cause heat spots but as your frog won't be making direct contact it's less of a concern :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

what do you MEAN winter naps are over

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I’ve learned that my girlfriend loves tortoises and has wanted one as a pet for a long time and I’m going to get her set up with one of the smaller, common types. Is a local reptile/pet store going to be the best place to get the tortoise itself when we get to that point?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

fknlo posted:

I’ve learned that my girlfriend loves tortoises and has wanted one as a pet for a long time and I’m going to get her set up with one of the smaller, common types. Is a local reptile/pet store going to be the best place to get the tortoise itself when we get to that point?

It's almost always better to go with an established breeder over a pet store. Even if the store buys from a good breeder the animal is still going to be exposed to gross pet store germs and probably lovely husbandry in the time between them getting it and them selling it.

Tortoises ship pretty well if you can't find someone local to pick up from.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fknlo posted:

What Desert Bus said. Also many pet store animals are still imports, AFAIK.

It’s spring, there will be at least one reptile show/expo in your area in the next couple of months. Just look it up online. You’ll definitely be able to meet breeders and probably buy an animal there if you get there early.

You can also usually find a list of attendees online and reach out to them ahead of time.

Otherwise you can generally ship torts from places or pick them up/etc.

I would also look into any reptile rescues or general animal rescues too. Tons of tortoises end up dumped on rescues.

All that being said, if you have a dedicated (and vetted) reptile specialty store in your area, lots of those places are connected to breeders/do their own breeding and could also be good resources.

I think rescues are great and probably my first choice, but obviously a pedigreed captive bred animal is also a smart (arguably the smart) choice. In either case, you’ll want a decent exotics/herp vet within your area. For Eastern New England (MA/RI), I like Odd Pet Vet.

What you don’t want is a mystery animal from a skeezy shop (you know the kind) taken from an exploited habitat and loaded up with pathogens and parasites.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also what kind of tortoise? I'm a bit bias because I have African leopards, but have also had red-foots (they don't do so well in AZ), Russians, and briefly, a sulcata. You do not want the latter.

Indian Stars are beautiful but more expensive than a barrel of oil per inch. Sulcatas eat everything and grow like mad but can bulldoze down cinderblock walls. Herman's and Russians overall don't grow too large. My leopards can, when big enough birds can't carry them off, live outside year round near Phoenix AZ, but they are perfect for the temperature here.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the replies on breeders. I'm currently in Colorado and she's in ruralish Missouri and it doesn't look like there's much local to either of those so something would have to be shipped.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also what kind of tortoise? I'm a bit bias because I have African leopards, but have also had red-foots (they don't do so well in AZ), Russians, and briefly, a sulcata. You do not want the latter.

Indian Stars are beautiful but more expensive than a barrel of oil per inch. Sulcatas eat everything and grow like mad but can bulldoze down cinderblock walls. Herman's and Russians overall don't grow too large. My leopards can, when big enough birds can't carry them off, live outside year round near Phoenix AZ, but they are perfect for the temperature here.

Probably a Greek or Russian tortoise as they don't get huge and they seem to be the most beginner friendly.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

A lot of first time tortoise and turtle owners also fail to account for the costs of replacement shells as their animals outgrow them. It's obviously less of a problem with the smaller species but it still adds up over time. You also have to account for the ongoing cost of Turtle Wax.

(Also apparently people really do oil/wax Tortoise shells? Isn't that bad for them? Was not expecting Googling "Tortoise Wax" to bring up any results other than hopefully a bad photoshop I could post. Wtf)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

A lot of first time tortoise and turtle owners also fail to account for the costs of replacement shells as their animals outgrow them. It's obviously less of a problem with the smaller species but it still adds up over time. You also have to account for the ongoing cost of Turtle Wax.

(Also apparently people really do oil/wax Tortoise shells? Isn't that bad for them? Was not expecting Googling "Tortoise Wax" to bring up any results other than hopefully a bad photoshop I could post. Wtf)

yeah, wax is bad. The shell scutes are keratin, imagine like a cross between a hair follicle and a nailbed.

They make stuff branded for turtles (basically cuticle cream) that seems to help make them look healthier. No idea how helpful/harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1515070806421872643?s=20&t=CWF4_98l9vR2ZMI7sVIk8g