Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Game Changer Survivor is the best. The entire final voting scene had me rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

my biggest issue with it is having to wait two whole rear end weeks before the next one

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My biggest issue is that I don't care about reality TV in general, including Survivor. I enjoyed the first episode, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to watch what looks like it'll take up a couple of more episodes as they whittle down the playing field. In particular, it felt like some of the confessional segments were somewhat indulgent, and went on too long. I kind of wish I knew whether this was going to take up just one more episode, or another four or what.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

tsob posted:

My biggest issue is that I don't care about reality TV in general, including Survivor. I enjoyed the first episode, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to watch what looks like it'll take up a couple of more episodes as they whittle down the playing field. In particular, it felt like some of the confessional segments were somewhat indulgent, and went on too long. I kind of wish I knew whether this was going to take up just one more episode, or another four or what.

The announcement tweet implies that it's two episodes IMO: https://twitter.com/GameChangerSam/status/1494736101440991232

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

tsob posted:

I can't see it going past another episode at most.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh, cool. I was worried that with 7 (?) original contestants, and only 2 knocked out in the first episode, that it'd take another couple before it was done. Which is fine when they're actually doing some kind of competition, or even doing the voting itself; it's the confessional camera stuff, and even the "behind the scenes" conspiring stuff that wasn't really grabbing me. I know they're a bunch of improv artists, and that the entire show is built around getting them to improvise, but a lot of those bits felt rehearsed or scripted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's going to be only one more episode but part two will be 35 minutes, so quite long for diet quibi dropout.

Given how popular it's been there's a good chance they'll end up doing a sequel, though, I think.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 25, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sam's doing an AMA where they announced a full run of 'Make Some Noise'. Will be excited to see if they can top making the sound of stirring mac n' cheese.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah he's said that they've reached a point where they're going to be able to start to spin up new serieses on Dropout again. And also that Game Changer has inspired a few because it's turned out to be a great way to test out ideas.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The World Inferno posted:

Sam's doing an AMA where they announced a full run of 'Make Some Noise'. Will be excited to see if they can top making the sound of stirring mac n' cheese.

I am, like, 0% surprised it's a series now. That poo poo was instant comedy gold.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I'm super excited that it sounds like there's going to be an Off Book series on dropout too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It's going to be only one more episode but part two will be 35 minutes, so quite long for diet quibi dropout.

Given how popular it's been there's a good chance they'll end up doing a sequel, though, I think.

That diet Quibi line is low key my favourite from those 'humiliate Grant' episodes. I also love that it hot Brennan when normally it's only the outrageous poo poo Grant has done that gets him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megazver posted:

I am, like, 0% surprised it's a series now. That poo poo was instant comedy gold.

Yea I'm insanely hype for that, perfect formula for chaos and fun and as much as The Noise Boys are great it'll be fun to get some fresh folks in too.

Also generally glad to hear Dropout seems to be doing well, they got turbofucked so it's nice to see they managed to at least get into more stable ground.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I'm insanely hype for that, perfect formula for chaos and fun and as much as The Noise Boys are great it'll be fun to get some fresh folks in too.

Also generally glad to hear Dropout seems to be doing well, they got turbofucked so it's nice to see they managed to at least get into more stable ground.

How were they turbofucked? I'm relatively new to all of this so I don't know much of the history behind it. Dropout is pretty cheap for what you get and I can't see how they could be making much off it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lemonadesweetheart posted:

How were they turbofucked? I'm relatively new to all of this so I don't know much of the history behind it. Dropout is pretty cheap for what you get and I can't see how they could be making much off it.

Unless I've forgotten and gotten them confused with the many other places in similar situations I think College Humor was one of those sites that got scammed by the Facebook push to 'pivot to video' (the tl;dr for that is basically Facebook MASSIVELY juiced their numbers to make video content seem super appealing, so tons of places went all in on videos, leading to a lot of places winding up with people they can't pay when it was clear there wasn't nearly enough profit in the 'pivot' to justify it).

CH also owned Dorkly which they shuddered pretty suddenly, and it was clear CH proper was next, Sam worked a deal out to basically buy CH (and Dropout) from them to keep it from shuddering but he had to let most everyone go (I think hilariously Brennan was the only actual creative staff left because of D20?) and run on a skeleton crew just to keep uploads of previously recorded stuff going for a good while.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I think it was this AMA (and not the one from last year but I just read them both so I could be mixing them up) where Sam said they're making way less money now than they were a few years ago but they're also SPENDING way less money. So it's working out pretty well for them and they don't have to deal with corporate people pushing stupid stuff. They can just make whatever they want.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

No game changer this week? I'm jonesing for that part 2

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For those who didn't know, Brennen will be on Critical Role's Elden Ring one shot live streaming tonight.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

No game changer this week? I'm jonesing for that part 2

It's every second Monday

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

GET NASTY

I hate the cops as much as the next guy but I think Brennan is a bit optimistic about the consequences of wealthy tourists + massive party + space cocaine

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 3, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

blackcross posted:

I think it was this AMA (and not the one from last year but I just read them both so I could be mixing them up) where Sam said they're making way less money now than they were a few years ago but they're also SPENDING way less money. So it's working out pretty well for them and they don't have to deal with corporate people pushing stupid stuff. They can just make whatever they want.

He's been pretty open about it. They were apparently just treading water the first year, and haven't grown much, but also have managed to keep their audience. So like Blackcross said, they finally are in the black and can start trying out new stuff.

It does continue to suck that the bulk of the cast is no longer salaried, but it's nice that they've kept hiring them whenever possible it seems.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love that for Breaking News they've figured out Brenan will never actually break, so they're just making him have a bad time

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sexpig by night posted:

I love that for Breaking News they've figured out Brenan will never actually break, so they're just making him have a bad time

I think really that one is Katie. I don't think she ever broke, to the point they brought her on to gently caress with the others just to get them to break. I kind of wish they would bring her back more often, just to see her deadpan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

seaborgium posted:

I think really that one is Katie. I don't think she ever broke, to the point they brought her on to gently caress with the others just to get them to break. I kind of wish they would bring her back more often, just to see her deadpan.

true Brenan does tend to snowball if you can get him laughing once

so I guess it's more 'I love that they (probably just Grant) figured the best way to deal with anyone hard to break is to just make them have a bad time' like getting Sam to drink...well, something that may or may not have been piss.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just started watching Dimension 20 with my girlfriend. I've seen Fantasy High S1, so we started with Mice and Murder, and goddamn, how are they all so good at this?!

Also, how's Starstruck been? Might make that what we watch next.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just started watching Dimension 20 with my girlfriend. I've seen Fantasy High S1, so we started with Mice and Murder, and goddamn, how are they all so good at this?!

Good news friend, there are no bad seasons. Crown of Candy is my personal favorite, as it starts as lol candy Game of Thrones and very quickly becomes legitimately as enthralling and serious as Game of Thrones at it's peak.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
S2 of Fantasy High is fantastic. Crown of Candy is also excellent, Unsleeping City... none of them are bad, as stated. My least favorite is The Seven, simply because the vibe is so much different from the typical crew and everyone's always talking over one another

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Magitek posted:

S2 of Fantasy High is fantastic. Crown of Candy is also excellent, Unsleeping City... none of them are bad, as stated. My least favorite is The Seven, simply because the vibe is so much different from the typical crew and everyone's always talking over one another

Different strokes for different folks, but The Seven is probably my favorite. They have good chemistry, watching the antics of a squad of teen girl murder hobos is great fun, and they knock it out of the park in both comedy and drama.

Edit: That said, it will spoil some parts of Fantasy High so you may want to watch that first

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 7, 2022

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I found the Seven really struggled to build momentum; the entire second episode - two and a half hours - is resolving a single yes/no question, where one answer would immediately stop the campaign. It's a big hurdle.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I quite like the short seasons. Tiny Heist has justin McElroy as Rick Diggins, Man About Town and probably the greatest closing scene in D20 history. Also Escape from the Bloodkeep with Matt Mercer, Trapp, Amy Vorpahl as a wet elf, I think this was also Rehka's first game? Pretty great as well.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

grate deceiver posted:

I quite like the short seasons. Tiny Heist has justin McElroy as Rick Diggins, Man About Town and probably the greatest closing scene in D20 history. Also Escape from the Bloodkeep with Matt Mercer, Trapp, Amy Vorpahl as a wet elf, I think this was also Rehka's first game? Pretty great as well.

Bloodkeep is one of my favourites specifically because its her first game. Not really having any experience, Rehka makes some big loving moves during that season. She just says poo poo, things a regular tabletop player wouldn't, and Brennan has to roll with it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

Bloodkeep is one of my favourites specifically because its her first game. Not really having any experience, Rehka makes some big loving moves during that season. She just says poo poo, things a regular tabletop player wouldn't, and Brennan has to roll with it.

yea Rehka's 'I have a loose idea of what this is and I've got enough comedy background to know how a group dynamic like this works anyway' energy is simply delightful in Bloodkeep. She never tries to 'main character' it or causes unfun problems but boy does she just go for it sometimes and it's great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, she gave some absolute great moments.

"I will ask this: I'm gonna go around the table and probably the answer to this question is nothing, so I want to make it okay for you to say nothing. But, is there anything you guys are attempting to do as you begin to fall? Rekha."

"I feel a sharp pain from within my belly."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, she gave some absolute great moments.

"I will ask this: I'm gonna go around the table and probably the answer to this question is nothing, so I want to make it okay for you to say nothing. But, is there anything you guys are attempting to do as you begin to fall? Rekha."

"I feel a sharp pain from within my belly."

Which led to the wonderful Brennan saying "And now I, as the GM, have to make the difficult choice of which skill you roll for giving birth."

Bloodkeep was incredible, and it's fairly short so worth a watch.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I can’t believe I forgot to mention Bloodkeep, since it was my first real exposure to D20 (it’s on YouTube for free). The two-punch combo of Mercer and LotR parody makes it a fantastic starting point for anyone who wants to dip their toe into D20 specifically or Actual Play more broadly.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

i'm so excited!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Magitek posted:

I can’t believe I forgot to mention Bloodkeep, since it was my first real exposure to D20 (it’s on YouTube for free). The two-punch combo of Mercer and LotR parody makes it a fantastic starting point for anyone who wants to dip their toe into D20 specifically or Actual Play more broadly.

Leyland being the worst and yet most dedicated Nazgul is just so endearing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's perfect. Game Changer Survivor is perfect.

Brennan is literally untouchable as he wins every challenge and scoops up the most immunities, and even when Lou shoots himself in the foot making that last statement, the people have to side with the underdog.

It's perfect. Chef's kiss.

I do wish they had a physical challenge to mix things up. But otherwise, perfect.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think Pirates of Leviathan is the only bad one, the quality made it unwatchable for me

E: also one of the players kept making rolls before they are called for and it drives me nuts

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

It's perfect. Game Changer Survivor is perfect.

Brennan is literally untouchable as he wins every challenge and scoops up the most immunities, and even when Lou shoots himself in the foot making that last statement, the people have to side with the underdog.

It's perfect. Chef's kiss.

I do wish they had a physical challenge to mix things up. But otherwise, perfect.

Honestly, I'm a can't decide if I'm impressed or a little disappointed that Lou was the one that got Katie, how could anyone who isn't Brennan not use that as an opportunity to get Brennan. Unless Lou was so confident he could get to the final with Brennan and know that no-one else would vote for Brennan even after he revealed he was the one who got Katie out. Why Katie too?

It was perfect.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think Pirates of Leviathan is the only bad one, the quality made it unwatchable for me

E: also one of the players kept making rolls before they are called for and it drives me nuts

I'm kinda this way as well much as I hate it. The covid episodes where everyone is just on zoom, just don't hold me as much as the actual episodes of all the shows.