Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

stealie72 posted:

Not sure exactly why but this made me giggle like an idiot.

Speaking of the subscription list, I'm afraid that Inward Empire, the enlightened pop history yin to Hardcore History's bloated yang, is never going to come back.

He posted somewhere that he was having a rough time with 2020/21 but wants to continue. I was kinda shocked to learn that, he's so talented and Inward Empire is so good that I figured he'd finally been scooped up by someone to make something.

e: For the new page, Dan Carlin has released a 6 hour podcast on slavery, someone needs to report back if it's as dire as everyone assumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

uPen posted:

He posted somewhere that he was having a rough time with 2020/21 but wants to continue. I was kinda shocked to learn that, he's so talented and Inward Empire is so good that I figured he'd finally been scooped up by someone to make something.

e: For the new page, Dan Carlin has released a 6 hour podcast on slavery, someone needs to report back if it's as dire as everyone assumes.

IIRC he is or was a grad student so it may be broader professional life that's draining his ability to make Inward Empire.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah I'm curious if he has another deranged rant like with the end of the Pacific series, all the better if someone wants to take one for the team and share with the thread.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Appoda posted:

Yeah I'm curious if he has another deranged rant like with the end of the Pacific series, all the better if someone wants to take one for the team and share with the thread.

I will certainly listen to it just not any time soon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Appoda posted:

I still can’t believe that strange take of his made it out into the world. You’d think he’d be a little more careful about handling that sort of subject more tactfully. Gonna be wild to see how these other episodes come out. I’ll wait till a brave goon clears it for us.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

buglord posted:

I still can’t believe that strange take of his made it out into the world. You’d think he’d be a little more careful about handling that sort of subject more tactfully. Gonna be wild to see how these other episodes come out. I’ll wait till a brave goon clears it for us.

"Listen folks, Nazi Germany killed SO many people, they were bound to have gotten a few genociders put down along the way. Who knows, maybe they would've been even worse than Hitler! I'm just asking, what if there's a silver lining to this whole Holocaust business."

Just an astonishing ten minutes of audio.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm not saying slavery was good.

BUT

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I did like Dan Carlin's WWI series, specifically the parts where he talks about how people felt about the war leading up to and during the whole thing. Are there any history books/podcasts that focus on people's thoughts and feelings during that time and not just the battles? Something like This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War. (Not WW1 I know.)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Poilu: The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas is a fantastic book that has a recent new translation from French to English that I would highly recommend for personal memoirs/feelings from the French perspective, which is often oddly absent from the English speaking world that tends to relate the British, German, or Russian perspective and barely mention the French perspective.

Also A World Undone is just an incredibly broad scope WWI history that kind of touches on the same thing, but has a large focus on battles as well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Violet_Sky posted:

I did like Dan Carlin's WWI series, specifically the parts where he talks about how people felt about the war leading up to and during the whole thing. Are there any history books/podcasts that focus on people's thoughts and feelings during that time and not just the battles? Something like This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War. (Not WW1 I know.)

There’s a pretty great book recommendation/request thread in TBB, I reckon some folks there might have good pointers

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's also The Sleepwalkers, which is all about how the July Crisis was actually perceived by people who actually lived and steered it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna listen to it and report back, wish me luck.
edit: jesus christ Carlin.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 8, 2022

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm gonna listen to it and report back, wish me luck.

I'm diving in too!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

uPen posted:

Not it!

I dropped out after his WWI episodes, they - weren't good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Extreme Boomer Content warning here.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Appoda posted:

I'm only familiar with the WWI series. What did he say?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The thing that stood out most to me was how Carlin marveled at the term quadroon, barely looked into it, then used it himself

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lawman 0 posted:

You’re doing god’s work here son, don’t give up.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spoeank posted:

The thing that stood out most to me was how Carlin marveled at the term quadroon, barely looked into it, then used it himself

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1501035651885535234

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How do you extensively research slavery in the Americas and not read about the complex legal framework that the French and Spanish had for denoting race mixing? :psyduck:

The term "octaroon" really sticks in my mind.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just like Dan Carlin I am also not a historian, and only learned of the term quadroon from watching Archer a few years ago.

Unlike Dan Carlin, I'm not presenting a 5 hour podcast on slavery.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

stealie72 posted:

Just like Dan Carlin I am also not a historian, and only learned of the term quadroon from watching Archer a few years ago.

Unlike Dan Carlin, I'm not presenting a 5 hour podcast on slavery.

Same but also I think that episode is at least ten years old lol

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Grondoth posted:

I'm only familiar with the WWI series. What did he say?

As he was wrapping up Supernova in the East, he went on this tirade about how the holocaust might have prevented more genocides, or something. It's really weird. When I get home, I might clip the audio and upload it for everyone's listening displeasure.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

buglord posted:

You’re doing god’s work here son, don’t give up.

Halfway through and Carlin really shouldn't have bothered because he's totally unprepared to talk about this because of history boomer brains.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Appoda posted:

As he was wrapping up Supernova in the East, he went on this tirade about how the holocaust might have prevented more genocides, or something. It's really weird. When I get home, I might clip the audio and upload it for everyone's listening displeasure.

Yeah it was basically this. It’s pretty tortured logic. I don’t think it was meant maliciously, just pretty shockingly ignorant for being a history podcaster. I get not everyone can be a historian but you’d think he’d consult some people before throwing it out into the wild.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What I'm really saying that Carlin needs a sensitive editor to look over his script with a big red marker and a novelty sized thesaurus. Maybe a big book of analogies to draw from too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
this sounds extremely cringe. Thank you Lawman

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

buglord posted:

Yeah it was basically this. It’s pretty tortured logic. I don’t think it was meant maliciously, just pretty shockingly ignorant for being a history podcaster. I get not everyone can be a historian but you’d think he’d consult some people before throwing it out into the wild.

This is what bugs me the most. He can't hide behind his "Not a historian!" if you've been doing this for as long as he has and is as presumably well-read as he is. At some point, you're doing history and should try to do it well. I'm sorry, but the dude is actually kind of a historian. Turns out he's becoming a pretty poo poo one though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

buglord posted:

this sounds extremely cringe. Thank you Lawman

:patriot:
But yeah he desperately needs and has needed someone to run this by and make sure that A: it's not full of bullshit (like ghosts of the ostfront) B: he treats the subject matter with care. The thing that bothers me the most here is that he is trying to do B but slips up constantly.
Edit: :ughh: thanks for your baby conception of Marxism Carlin.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 8, 2022

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

+1 for "Dan Carlin is a gobshite"

Violet_Sky posted:

What sort of people are you interested in? WWI is very well-served for personal accounts from various angles, and particularly in the last 10 years or so, we've started to get some great-quality stuff in translation from people who wrote in other languages.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways what did everyone think about the new fall of civilizations podcast?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dan Carlin's "I'm not a historian" mantra is one of the most pitiful examples of intellectual cowardice that I can think of.

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyways what did everyone think about the new fall of civilizations podcast?

I enjoyed it

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

External Organs posted:

Same but also I think that episode is at least ten years old lol
Holy poo poo, second episode, so almost 12 years ago. Time is meaningless, dammit.

Edit:

Lawman 0 posted:

Halfway through and Carlin really shouldn't have bothered because he's totally unprepared to talk about this because of history boomer brains.

Lawman 0 posted:

Edit: :ughh: thanks for your baby conception of Marxism Carlin.
Lawman, you're making me thing I need to listen to this just for the cringe factor, and because of that you're not my favorite person right now.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 8, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Appoda posted:

Don't forget him both sides-ing Japanese internment with "well hey people were scared so can you really say the program wasn't justified?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just more on Fall of Civilizations actually --

One thing that came to mind as I was listening to the most recent one is that I think that I would prefer if they carved them up into 40 minute chunks with a bit more review and signposting in between and then slow-released them on the feed over a few weeks. Just a minor personal preference, but sometimes I find that because I can't listen to 3+ hours in a go that I sometimes lose the thread of things at times.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Just more on Fall of Civilizations actually --

One thing that came to mind as I was listening to the most recent one is that I think that I would prefer if they carved them up into 40 minute chunks with a bit more review and signposting in between and then slow-released them on the feed over a few weeks. Just a minor personal preference, but sometimes I find that because I can't listen to 3+ hours in a go that I sometimes lose the thread of things at times.

I found the most recent one significantly harder to follow than previous ones, I think it's because the lead in to the content is so long that when it actually starts on the primary topic it's easy to miss and then get lost.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I guess most of us probably have less background knowledge on the history of South India as well, so if you miss something it's easier to get lost (unlike say the fall of Byzantium or the Inca where most of us have at least a rough idea of how it's going to start and end).

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I love the long episodes but I'm also the kind of person who waits for a whole season of an episodic podcast to come out then binges it all in one go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cockblocktopus posted:

I love the long episodes but I'm also the kind of person who waits for a whole season of an episodic podcast to come out then binges it all in one go.

I like long episodes as well but I do think making it more episodic can help not fall into the trap Carlin fell onto.

Where long episodes were rambling messes that were as long as some books with less info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Sydin posted:

Don't forget him both sides-ing Japanese internment with "well hey people were scared so can you really say the program wasn't justified?"

The funny about that is that he brings it up and then immediately undercuts his own both-sidesing with "Well they didn't do it in Hawaii, where most Japanese-Americans actually live. I'm just asking questions"