Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

could be like an embedded apple tv or airplay client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the name of the monitor? iphone max to the max

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you’re not getting away with not putting “pro” in an apple product name these days

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iPhone maxx

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
xnü metal

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

could be like an embedded apple tv or airplay client

that's it, it's the long-rumored Apple TV, not to be confused with the Apple TV box, app, or service

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Apple TV Minus, since you don't need the extra box

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
If the embedded A series chip could upscale non-native rez material at low latency (and assuming the monitor takes HDMI input) it would be nice for hooking up things besides apple devices. It’s relatively niche but I like to plug in my PlayStation to the monitor as well which means it has to be 4K since I doubt Sony will ever support 1440p or other resolution output and monitor/tv built-in upscaling is usually too slow for gaming.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3995895

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mac cube is back and it’s ugly.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

IUG posted:

dont body shame

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

expensive computers and monitors are expensive

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

no apple classical, gently caress you timb

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

timb shut down primephonic and he'll give it back whenever he's done making GBS threads out $4k computers for plastic surgeons to buy for their receptionists

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

IUG posted:

Agile Vector posted:

you may not like it, but this is what peek performance looks like

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

does everyone who works at apple own exactly one computer that they use for work and personal stuff? the new cool monitor is useless for wfh if you already have a personal machine unless you want to plug and unplug cables like a caveman

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's been discussed in this very ITT that apple expects no barrier between your work and personal poo poo if you work there yeah

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

does everyone who works at apple own exactly one computer that they use for work and personal stuff? the new cool monitor is useless for wfh if you already have a personal machine unless you want to plug and unplug cables like a caveman

they have 2 separate desks with 3 pro displays on each

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Perplx posted:

they have 2 separate desks with 3 pro displays on each

believable.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

qirex posted:

its kinda annoying that it has to have a webcam but what do you mean about plugging cables?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

its kinda annoying that it has to have a webcam but what do you mean about plugging cables?
I have a personal mac mini and my work macbook pro on my desk. they are both connected to my $400 plebian dell monitor and I switch between inputs using buttons. it is quick and easy.

this is not new behavior for apple, their keyboards and mice also lack the ability to switch pairing quickly

poty
Jun 21, 2008

oh yeah a couple of input ports would have been nice

but then again the monitor probably doesnt have buttons/osd at all same as the 6k one

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
cool computer tim but that price is absurd

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am interested in the price/performance differential between a macbook pro and a mac studio. ill probably get whichever one is a better value with not very much credit given for having a screen cause i still have my old laptop and also dont remember the last time i used its screen for a reason other than "monitor output got screwed up somehow and i need to put in my password"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

cool computer tim but that price is absurd

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean the cheap mac studio obviously, lol at dropping $4k

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmfao the monitor is still 60hz

and it's $1599

boy i'm sure glad they put that 12 megapixel camera in it though!!! and the fancy speakers!!! just in time for every company to cancel wfh!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if you genuinely don't need anything other than the computer it's going to be more value to go with the studio, an equivalent 14-inch macbook to the base model studio is an extra 1200 bucks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Achmed Jones posted:

i am interested in the price/performance differential between a macbook pro and a mac studio. ill probably get whichever one is a better value with not very much credit given for having a screen cause i still have my old laptop and also dont remember the last time i used its screen for a reason other than "monitor output got screwed up somehow and i need to put in my password"

it was like a $1500 cad difference to get the studio versus a (more expensive) 14-inch mbp with the same chip and ram so prolly $1k usd

edit: ^ ah, $1200

i know a lot of people in here are different but most other people doing wfh are probably not going to worry about having a second computer to swap between

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cool if im reading this right, the max is better than the pro so the cheapest mac studio is a p deece little machine for two grand

now that work sent me a 32" 4k monitor and also another one and i work from home and own an ipad pro and hardly ever travel i care much much much less about having a personal laptop

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mediaphage posted:

it was like a $1500 cad difference to get the studio versus a (more expensive) 14-inch mbp with the same chip and ram so prolly $1k usd

i know a lot of people in here are different but most other people doing wfh are probably not going to worry about having a second computer to swap between

it might be $1500 if achmed is canadian, i looked up usd prices and forgot to say, sorry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will probably buy a base model cube when they pop up on the refurb store

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i'm buying one of these to replace my hackintosh
wish me luck

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

hell yeah! now i just have to pay for the house to get repainted and gutters and stuff and maybe then i will be able to get a new computer!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I have a personal mac mini and my work macbook pro on my desk. they are both connected to my $400 plebian dell monitor and I switch between inputs using buttons. it is quick and easy.

this is not new behavior for apple, their keyboards and mice also lack the ability to switch pairing quickly

you're confusing professional (someone who does work for a living) and prosumer (professional consumer). apple targets the later, not the former. if they were targeting professionals their design would be in-excusably bad.

Dell targets professionals. thats why their equipment just works for professional workflows without you thinking about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

cool if im reading this right, the max is better than the pro so the cheapest mac studio is a p deece little machine for two grand

now that work sent me a 32" 4k monitor and also another one and i work from home and own an ipad pro and hardly ever travel i care much much much less about having a personal laptop

yeah i can't really justify (or afford) dropping $2500 for the studio but i deffo want one

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

you're confusing professional (someone who does work for a living) and prosumer (professional consumer). apple targets the later, not the former. if they were targeting professionals their design would be in-excusably bad.

Dell targets professionals. thats why their equipment just works for professional workflows without you thinking about it

lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

r u ready to WALK posted:

i'm buying one of these to replace my hackintosh
wish me luck
good luck, forums poster r u ready to WALK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar