Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Leyland being the worst and yet most dedicated Nazgul is just so endearing.

It's not even like he's physically incapable or anything, he just focuses on the wrong things and it ends up making him look really incompetent. The fact he was obsessed with getting the Samwise analogue makes sense as someone familiar with the story Bloodkeep is parodying, but Brennan just included him as a joke and never expected Matt to hyper focus on trying to kill him; which is why he gave the guy Frost Giant stats and made him an enemy Leland could never actually beat in a fair fight on his own. Honestly, I just wonder why Brennan expected no-one would care about that, given the relative import of what he was doing to the original story.

Escape from the Bloodkeep probably has one of Brennan's best minor characters too, the prisoner who just wants to take care of his bones.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think Pirates of Leviathan is the only bad one, the quality made it unwatchable for me

It's probably just the fact Pirates of Leviathan was my first D20 show, but I absolutely love it and I hope every time a new season of D20 is announced it'll be a sequel to Pirates of Leviathan. I had never heard of most of the cast, only being familiar with Matthew Mercer and Marisha Ray, but I ended up really loving everyone else (Aabria Iyengar, B. Dave Walters, Carlos Luna and Krystina Arielle) and pretty much every character was great. Including some of Brennan's NPCs, like the night club owner. I loved Marisha's really naïve but hopeful pirate wannabe basically pushing everyone else to be better just by her presence, Matt's gruff retired pirate, Aabria's priestess of a dark Goddess of the sea she kind of feared, but who seemed to want to do go despite who she served etc. and the setting is just fantastic too (it taking place entirely on a city made from thousands of lashed together pirate ships).

I really like every other D20 season I've watched (A Crown of Candy, Escape from the Bloodkeep, Mice and Murder and A Starstruck Odyssey; even if I fell off the last few episodes of A Crown of Candy because I didn't like Emily's new character, and how she basically seemed to be hijacking the plot from everyone else despite appearing so late in the show), but none of them quite live up to Pirates of Leviathan for me, even with the problems given Zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tsob posted:

Escape from the Bloodkeep probably has one of Brennan's best minor characters too, the prisoner who just wants to take care of his bones.

On the spot improvised, too, because he didn't think they'd ever be able to go to that location.

I do wonder why they didn't have everyone record their sessions locally when they were on zoom and send the file afterwards so they could do the background matte in post rather than live and not have bandwidth compressions. (Could record the zoom too for backup for when someone inevitably fucks up)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 8, 2022

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

The World Inferno posted:

It's perfect. Game Changer Survivor is perfect.

Brennan is literally untouchable as he wins every challenge and scoops up the most immunities, and even when Lou shoots himself in the foot making that last statement, the people have to side with the underdog.

It's perfect. Chef's kiss.

I do wish they had a physical challenge to mix things up. But otherwise, perfect.

I don't think Lou shot himself in the foot with that statement. The argument to vote for Brennan is that he was clearly the best player, had dominated the challenges, found all the immunity idols, formed an early strong alliance, and never needed to lie or deceive. Lou's first argument was basically just pleading not to let Brennan win again, but when he revealed that he had masterminded voting off Katie that negated Brennan's argument that he was the best player.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

tsob posted:

This is John Feathers erasure. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I don't think Lou shot himself in the foot with that statement. The argument to vote for Brennan is that he was clearly the best player, had dominated the challenges, found all the immunity idols, formed an early strong alliance, and never needed to lie or deceive. Lou's first argument was basically just pleading not to let Brennan win again, but when he revealed that he had masterminded voting off Katie that negated Brennan's argument that he was the best player.

Yea. Lou's argument was that he was actually the best player because the whole point of the game is to survive and outlast the others. Brennan was great at playing the alliance game and finding idols but Lou was easily the better Survivor player by getting Katie off and managing to keep that hidden until the end. For all the funny 'this is MLK's dream, they can't vote for the straight white guy' jokes he genuinely was just playing the game better by letting Brennan take the heat as the most obvious target (yet the guy nobody could actually hurt, so his alliance with him stayed perfectly safe). Dude killed it, Survivor style.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Four new shows based on Game Changer things: Make Some Noise, Dirty Laundry (panel show inspired by never have I ever), Original Cast Recording, and Battle Royale (survivor inspired with some more variety and name change for legal reasons)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tsob posted:

Honestly, I just wonder why Brennan expected no-one would care about that, given the relative import of what he was doing to the original story.

iirc it was serendipity in that the analogue character rolled a 20 on a stealth check to escape with the crown. I think once that happened, he decided "well this is now a thing".

quote:

even if I fell off the last few episodes of A Crown of Candy because I didn't like Emily's new character, and how she basically seemed to be hijacking the plot from everyone else despite appearing so late in the show)

I actually agree with this, which is a shame. The first half of it is as good as D20 gets, and while I still like the second half, it does suffer greatly for that exact reason. Zach's character never really re-integrates with the cast too, tho he is hilarious and a fun one.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Crown of Candy is definitely in my top three. The dynamic does shift, but Saccharina moving the plot forward did some great things for the season. Liam's character arc is so great! The combat is at its best in that every encounter feels desperate and brutal.

My only real complaint is that I think the final battle got away from Brennan, it reduced the stakes at the most critical point.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I love Rehka.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

:woop:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I never realized just how smol Erika Ishii is, but seeing her in the midst of a group on Game Changer: Survivor she's pretty teeny. Mind you, it can't have helped that she's stood next to Grant during those segments. She's small next to all of them though, and struggled to whisper into Lou's ear too, at another point. Looking her up on Google to check her height (5' exact, apparently), there's some photos of her where she appears to have some serious arms going too. One of the first results Google threw at me for her name said she worked out regularly, and says she can lift up people about half her own weight again; which I'd believe seeing those photos.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 15, 2022

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
haha yeah

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
New show trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcSICD43ZI

Looks pretty decent. Grant as a bartender sidekick is a good use for him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looks good but also may end up having a limited lifespan on how many times you can use regulars. But until then it looks good!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

enki42 posted:

New show trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcSICD43ZI

Looks pretty decent. Grant as a bartender sidekick is a good use for him.

I mean, if they had Grant on as a guest he'd probably just break the entire game because everyone would just accuse him of everything that came up so it was either that or just never have him on full stop.

MikeJF posted:

Looks good but also may end up having a limited lifespan on how many times you can use regulars. But until then it looks good!

The regular cast for Dropout are all demonstrably willing to talk about any and all weird, shameful or kinky poo poo they've done in the past, but they might struggle to get guests willing to do the same, so I'd imagine it'll spin more on that honestly.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

tsob posted:

I mean, if they had Grant on as a guest he'd probably just break the entire game because everyone would just accuse him of everything that came up so it was either that or just never have him on full stop.

Turns out Grant did all the things that were submitted by other contestants anyway

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Every episode has one thing that was done by Grant and it's worth double points. But if you guess Grant and you're wrong you lose points.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jaxts posted:

Every episode has one thing that was done by Grant and it's worth double points. But if you guess Grant and you're wrong you lose points.

I unironically love this idea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Brennan: can name countless bird facts and probably recite most of Lord of the Rings from memory

Also Brennan: 'who's famous...uh...The Smothers Brothers? That's two people!'

Just so deeply on brand

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I'm sure it's a bit, but it's a good bit, just like when he was trying to identify a trend from 2010 and came up with "Obama was president"

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

sexpig by night posted:

Brennan: can name countless bird facts and probably recite most of Lord of the Rings from memory

Just so deeply on brand

NOBODY WANTS YOUR BIRDS BRENNAN

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

Just so deeply on brand

https://twitter.com/dhtoomey/status/1505374381299716096

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

enki42 posted:

I'm sure it's a bit, but it's a good bit, just like when he was trying to identify a trend from 2010 and came up with "Obama was president"

It might not be a bit. He was a homeschool kid, after all...

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Brian David Gilbert and Karen Han on Um, Actually.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The latest episode of Dimension 20 (Starstruck ep. 11) was fantastic. The latter half especially felt like peak D20:

Brennan’s characterizations of the NPCs was top notch. The Junkmother struck a wonderful combination of charming and terrifying, and the leader of the Art Squad’s aura of cringe was palpable (with amazing response from Lou). The A.C.E. device was utterly absurd but still helped sell the increased stakes.

I think that ranking the seasons of D20 will remain as impossible as ever after this campaign is over.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It just gets better and better. Holy poo poo Emily out of nowhere.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

the look on Brennan's face when he realizes they have A Plan

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
"How did you know there would be a plinth?"

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
"Emily is one of the best D&D players in the world. Endlessly creative, so fun to play with. She was also sent from Hell to kill me." -Brennan Lee Mulligan

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea obviously the whole OG D20 crew are some A+ D&D nerds but boy is Emily just an endless source of 'I want to do something weird, not to steal the spotlight or get attention or whatever, but because I genuinely think this will be either entertaining for my friends, useful for the story, or both'.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
I am endlessly impressed with the Starstruck season of D20. Brennan's crazy cast of NPCs, including the sad but terrifying Junkmother, has been great. But the players have been at the top of their game, especially Emily in this latest episode (not to mention Siobhan surviving Barry Nine a few episodes ago, and Zac from several episodes ago leading the charge against the sheriff). There have been some seasons that have dragged on in certain parts, but with this season even the slower episodes have had great world-building and character-building and I've been fully engaged.

Unrelated to D20, Game Changer released an episode of footage left on the cutting room floor from episodes this season. It was fun to watch, including Sam losing his marbles offscreen in that musical improv episode. Because he's a professional.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I love that the outtake from "Filmed in Front of A Live Studio Audience' is just the three of them continuing to go apeshit

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

First ep of dirty laundry is out. I liked it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Grant as the sidekick / wise cracking bartender is very good.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

The World Inferno posted:

Grant as the sidekick / wise cracking bartender is very good.

He was good, but lmao his hands were shaking like crazy during that drink mixing

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

grate deceiver posted:

He was good, but lmao his hands were shaking like crazy during that drink mixing

Probably been years since he last did bartending

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

He didn't want to drop it, like a certain someone dropped a duck.

It was a good episode, though I'm curious if this energy can be maintained across more episodes of the format.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently the last episode of Dirty Laundry season 1 is a The Seven cast reunion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just watched Dirty Laundry and it owns.

Grant is really living his best life as a wisecracking bartender and the CH staff is wild enough to make this premise incredibly entertaining.

"If someone's used to the gas...going out...and it stays in...that may send them to the hospital."

"This is a sexy show, guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

This Starstruck season is full of big brain poo poo. The highs and then the lows when Brennan claws back to the highs when the gang comes up with something amazing is just fantastic.