Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Akileese posted:

Wrestling fans above all other fandoms definitely get the angriest and most defensive about not 'getting' something. Was there discourse over MJF using old Punk promo lines in the go home show before the PPV?

Eh I kinda get this though, I thought " the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" was a real cringe line to finish on after the amazing build up. Finding out it was a callback to a classic Punk promo definitely made me understand and appreciate it more, but in the moment I was hoping for more than a worn down 25 year old movie quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Wrestling fans are like people who base their opinions on movies by watching CinemaSins or Nostalgia Critic, they treat media as like a checklist of Surface Level Details that are required for a thing to be Good. Likewise they have no patience for things like subtlety because everything flies way over their heads and becomes a Plot Hole because I guess nowadays a Plot Hole is when media doesn't just sit you down and explain exactly what everything means at all times as it happens.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Dan Callis said that same line about the devil during the Page/Omega contract signing too

It's probably been used a zillion times in wrestling promos

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lamuella posted:

Big Finish is the reason why Eight is my favourite Doctor. And the reason why Six is in my top five instead of dead last.

Agreed on both counts. The Chimes of Midnight is my favorite Who story in any medium, and I'm doing a relisten of Eight's run up to Stranded while I work out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

Agreed on both counts. The Chimes of Midnight is my favorite Who story in any medium, and I'm doing a relisten of Eight's run up to Stranded while I work out.

Six's story Davros is mine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/Unpaid__Critic/status/1501210400431476736?t=cGGpcPfR29NyLreHQS6fgA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Scalz_24/status/1501350503879434241?t=-s38lN64lpZwolMtx78Zfg&s=19

The biggest ironicat.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The funniest thing about the “Using AFI is too niche for an audience to get” stuff is that meanwhile Eddie Kingston is loving telling Jericho to bring the Jericho that worked for Tenryu, which is a reference like a decade older, near the start of Jericho’s career, in a smaller promotion in a country on the other side of the world. But no one made a peep about that!

It really is just the most astoundingly obvious grab at anything.

Ibexaz posted:

Eh I kinda get this though, I thought " the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" was a real cringe line to finish on after the amazing build up. Finding out it was a callback to a classic Punk promo definitely made me understand and appreciate it more, but in the moment I was hoping for more than a worn down 25 year old movie quote

I mean the quote is 170 years old, it’s something that derived from a story printed in a Paris newspaper and developed over the following decades until, one day in the mid 90s, Chris McQuarrie remembered it and dropped it into this script for a movie his buddy Bryan had talked him into writing.

History!

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 9, 2022

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I can't keep up with these callbacks...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ibexaz posted:

I can't keep up with these callbacks...

Don't worry, Excalibur will catch you up.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Lol

"You thought I was mistaken, but I'm actually just a dipshit."

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021
LOL this guy is great

https://twitter.com/MONSTERMATTTRAV/status/1501410709632081922

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV/status/1501375221479067648

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Crapple! posted:

Credit where it's due, WWE does at least have a nice looking stage and lighting. It'd be nice if AEW could pull off something like that but it probably costs a shitload of money

I will say something that could have really improved the Punk/MJF match was better lighting. The even lighting made it easy for TV recording but some proper mood lighting to make it feel really claustrophobic and drown out everything else would have been amazing.

And I know it's a bit cliched to compare wrestling to shakespeare (as shakespeare was in the day, being a mass-appeal with pointed storylines thing, and with high over the top drama) but 90% of the people who go to a shakespeare production who haven't studied the play or playwright beforehand would be lucky to get a third of what's going on. The ability for people to pick stuff up via context is absolutely dead these days. If wrestling can't drag people into its context god help anything that involves a bit of critical thinking, like politics or the news. Oh wait!

keithy george posted:

Wrestling fans know that everyone thinks they’re a massive idiot for watching wrestling, they’re desperate for validation.

I said to my Da I had just started watching wrestling the other day. For once it was a thing I'm doing that he didn't immediately poo poo on. He started on about a weird respect for the performances and athleticism, and how lowbrow entertainment done with style and care can often deal with issues and storylines better than most things.

I guess he grew up in a time when British wrestling was a big thing and he caught a whiff of it in Ireland.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This guy is definitely a new character in the Chris Regal expanded universe. He's completely deranged. It's all poo poo wrestling takes and Jehovah's Witness insanity.

https://twitter.com/MONSTERMATTTRAV/status/1501382513985470469?s=20&t=Xdqdt6U5J-ygIoMekUEwxQ

https://twitter.com/MONSTERMATTTRAV/status/1500998863418703875?s=20&t=Xdqdt6U5J-ygIoMekUEwxQ

https://twitter.com/MONSTERMATTTRAV/status/1500935536822865922?s=20&t=Xdqdt6U5J-ygIoMekUEwxQ

https://twitter.com/MONSTERMATTTRAV/status/1500930712999968779?s=20&t=Xdqdt6U5J-ygIoMekUEwxQ

DO SOMETHING!

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 9, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You don't normally peole in two cults at the same time

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s a mudshark

Edit: oh it’s a racist thing about her being married to a black guy. Super.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 9, 2022

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Mrenda posted:

I will say something that could have really improved the Punk/MJF match was better lighting. The even lighting made it easy for TV recording but some proper mood lighting to make it feel really claustrophobic and drown out everything else would have been amazing.

And I know it's a bit cliched to compare wrestling to shakespeare (as shakespeare was in the day, being a mass-appeal with pointed storylines thing, and with high over the top drama) but 90% of the people who go to a shakespeare production who haven't studied the play or playwright beforehand would be lucky to get a third of what's going on. The ability for people to pick stuff up via context is absolutely dead these days. If wrestling can't drag people into its context god help anything that involves a bit of critical thinking, like politics or the news. Oh wait!

I said to my Da I had just started watching wrestling the other day. For once it was a thing I'm doing that he didn't immediately poo poo on. He started on about a weird respect for the performances and athleticism , and how lowbrow entertainment done with style and care can often deal with issues and storylines better than most things.

I guess he grew up in a time when British wrestling was a big thing and he caught a whiff of it in Ireland.

source your quotes

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Thought he was just a harmless kook until I saw the last tweet

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s a mudshark

A derogatory term used by racists towards non-black women who date black men

Which doesn't even make sense since Mia herself is of mixed African-American and Asian ancestry

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

To bring up the old conversation about wresting Fandom caring about capital B Buisiness

xbilkis posted:

I think it’s way more pervasive (and more annoying) in wrestling for a few reasons:

-Many wresting fans seem to live in a state of paranoia about the medium ceasing to exist (which I guess is understandable to a certain extent, given WWE monopolization over the past 20+ years)

I've been thinking about this all day. We've lost so much in the US since 2001(on a major promotion level) that a lot about Number posting and such is just a reminder that AEW isn't going to randomly die to the US monopoly and there actually is a major wrestling product again.

Even on the regional and non-TV front, NXT was trying to destroy and homogenize the indies. Thank god they lost

I don't know, I feel the paranoia in this case is understandable

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 9, 2022

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ojn one level I'd like to think that this weird idiot is playing the character of a weird idiot. On another level he's also a racist sack of crap so whether he's playing a character or not is irrelevant.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Lamuella posted:

Ojn one level I'd like to think that this weird idiot is playing the character of a weird idiot. On another level he's also a racist sack of crap so whether he's playing a character or not is irrelevant.

Yeah, I'd say they definitely fall into the "not funny, just sad and a little creepy" kind of idiots who the thread generally should avoid.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
This person 100% thinks they're "playing a Heel Character" by just saying stupid and racist poo poo at people on Twitter

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Drakkel posted:

This person 100% thinks they're "playing a Heel Character" by just saying stupid and racist poo poo at people on Twitter

Read their Twitter replies, this guy is way more about being a Jehova's Witness than being a Vince stan. And he's bringing that same cult fire to both

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

source your quotes

Dunno what you have an issue with there but I've been watching a week (after only watching wrestling when I was a young child.) If my takes don't align with yours it's probably because I'm not deep in the lore. No need to be a goon.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Mrenda posted:

Dunno what you have an issue with there but I've been watching a week (after only watching wrestling when I was a young child.) If my takes don't align with yours it's probably because I'm not deep in the lore. No need to be a goon.

I'm mostly joking because that was the first time I heard someone suggest theater lighting and you seem extremely British

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Nothing against the British, by the way

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Read their Twitter

Terrible advice for any situation

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nothing against the British, by the way

No it's fair

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Rarity posted:

No it's fair

Extremely not fair to call me British

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm mostly joking because that was the first time I heard someone suggest theater lighting and you seem extremely British

though that does make me think they would love Riptide Wrestling

hey Mrenda check out Riptide Wrestling sometime

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Alaois posted:

though that does make me think they would love Riptide Wrestling

hey Mrenda check out Riptide Wrestling sometime

Riptide is great. Resurgence is also great and are still putting shows on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A derogatory term used by racists towards non-black women who date black men

Which doesn't even make sense since Mia herself is of mixed African-American and Asian ancestry

Cool, I reported it. I hope others do, as well.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Ditto. I thought we found a new wacky Vincel reply guy but to no ones surprise he turned out to be a racist.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Did it as soon as I saw it

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

cm punk go on cumtown

https://twitter.com/Unpaid__Critic/status/1501221903100674048

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
If someone responds with anything similar the WWE has done they'll absolutely reply with something like "it's just a work you marks he's playing a character and it's entertainment" or some poo poo

I loving hate these people

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

People think all independent promotions are Ring of Honor. Isn't IWA:MS still around in some form? No way Tony would offer Ian anything for the tape library, there's maybe 10 things of value hidden in there

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

People think all independent promotions are Ring of Honor. Isn't IWA:MS still around in some form? No way Tony would offer Ian anything for the tape library, there's maybe 10 things of value hidden in there

There is a lot of good stuff in the IWA MS tape library but yes it still runs and Tony should buy the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
rescue samoa joe vs necro butcher