Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
also uninstalled the game. ogre campaign was fun for the first 75%ish but then i just used big fat ogre stacks to autoresolve everything including the chaos realm battles. also AR'd nearly all of the minor settlement battles which were really fun the first 2-3 times and then stunk out loud. playing the game with a faction that doesn't have crazy AR weighting sounds miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Foul Fowl posted:

as long as you have enough income to maintain one strong doomstack with your LL, the actual state of your empire doesn't matter at all. i spent the time between the 3rd and 4th soul pressing end turn with fast forward on and letting whatever was gonna happen happen. lol.

That's true, but I want to paint the map since I'm pretty close anyway. (Also my current Skarbrand stack is Skarbrand, 2 bloodreapers, 4 cultists, 2 bloodcrushers, a bloodshrine, 10 bloodletters, and I'm pretty sure it would still be a doomstack if I disbanded everything but Skarbrand and the heroes. Aside from the soul fight I'm not sure what the last time the bloodletters actually fought was.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Paint the map but paint it in someone elses colours because holy poo poo gently caress the rifts in my own territory's everywhere.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Foul Fowl posted:

as long as you have enough income to maintain one strong doomstack with your LL, the actual state of your empire doesn't matter at all. i spent the time between the 3rd and 4th soul pressing end turn with fast forward on and letting whatever was gonna happen happen. lol.

This is the key problem with the campaign imo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I kept playing as ogres after the campaign win on the "Hard" difficulty and it's actually presenting me with some challenge. Kislev is sending 8 stacks against me as I'm getting close to their capital and I'm also flanked by that rear end in a top hat slayer lord. Slayers are such a pain in the rear end when you're playing as ogres, they just rip my fat bois to shreds. To top this all off I forgot to put the last point in Lightning Strike on my legendary lord so I have to engage all armies all the time :stare:

So yeah, the game is pretty fun when you don't have to bother with portals and can crank up the difficulty and just focus on figuring out how to beat the massive amounts of armies sent against you

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ironblasters are ridiculously good. Gotta be the best artillery in the game right?

Lots of armor, good melee stats (???) and it shreds infantry and large targets alike at really long range. On top of this they are fast and easy to position.

Upgraded ironblasters are probably too overpowered atm

90 armor
66 speed
46 melee attack
27 melee defense
160 armor piercing melee damage
48 charge bonus
418 range
2.4k ranged damage

:psyduck:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Cathay grand cannons will destroy them before they get into position (in theory). 450 range.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Ironblasters are ridiculously good. Gotta be the best artillery in the game right?

Lots of armor, good melee stats (???) and it shreds infantry and large targets alike at really long range. On top of this they are fast and easy to position.

Upgraded ironblasters are probably too overpowered atm

90 armor
66 speed
46 melee attack
27 melee defense
160 armor piercing melee damage
48 charge bonus
418 range
2.4k ranged damage

:psyduck:
Wow that's pretty goddamn high!

Any idea why war sleds put out the ranged damage they do? They are only listed as doing 50ish per model, yet they definitely out out a lot more than that. Is it 50 per...gunner and each sled has several, or what?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

Wow that's pretty goddamn high!

Any idea why war sleds put out the ranged damage they do? They are only listed as doing 50ish per model, yet they definitely out out a lot more than that. Is it 50 per...gunner and each sled has several, or what?

Keep in mind it is over 10 seconds. And they might be doing multiple shots at a time. For instance, the higher tier crossbow units in Cathay fire 2 shots a model just like Darkshards do.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

This is the key problem with the campaign imo

There also isn't any reward for a getting a soul. If you get 4 souls the AI can still get 4 and then gates open everywhere which then lets undivided armies flood through. Some of the realms are bullshit and, with Tzeentch's realm in particular, the AI can beat you a good percentage of the time just by happenstance. Also Belakor is not a great reward. He seems like he was tacked on when there should be some unique reward for some of the factions. I guess the real "reward" after the Forge of Souls fight is supposed to not have chaos gates open all the time so you can paint the map.

It just isn't fun, imo.

domination victory is actually a superior method of trying to win in a lot of ways because if you are losing the race to the souls, you have to go kill whoever is beating you. This makes you go wide, which can suck, but if you have portal closers at the ready, know they're coming up and where then you can close them before anything gets through. This might seem tedious to a lot of people and I agree.

plus the bugs. Oh god the bugs. It's clear there wasn't a lot of play-testing if they missed the infini-casting and also the supply lines bugs. Also the Forge of Souls fight can be cheesed, which isn't a bug but come on.

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF1l3dDfn8

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Was a very strange choice not to give the souls unique bonuses. More growth and replenishment for Nurgle, more weapon strength and melee attack for Khorne, etc. Just seems like an easy choice.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Was a very strange choice not to give the souls unique bonuses. More growth and replenishment for Nurgle, more weapon strength and melee attack for Khorne, etc. Just seems like an easy choice.

Doubly strange when you consider starting/completing a Vortex ritual gave you some temporary buffs.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I just watched Kairos's army get stomped by some random ogres in his own territory at the end turn and at the start of my turn it's like "Tzeentch gains Nurgle's soul" lol stop loving cheating Tzeentch

edit: oh wait I just realized the poor fucker teleported back and got rolled haha

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I wouldn't mind if there were only four souls and possessing them conferred strong bonuses. Then if you and/or your allies hold all four souls you can progress to the final battle. If someone else holds a soul you could use the rifts to travel to them and take it off then by defeating them in battle. It would give some incentive to travel using the rifts because as is you need to be hitting a realm of chaos almost every cycle if you want to win

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
This was how I was hoping it would work until we got more information prerelease, but it makes sense for them to want you to fight the big survival battles they made.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
with multiplayer I am of two minds. It's really fun but right now mass is an incredibly powerful stat and overtuned, while knockdownability of infantry is a massive penalty to their use and hugely undertuned. They probably did it to increase the power of monstrous infantry, cav and the usefulness of magic but it has thrown the balance way out of proportion. I thought magic was in a good place for multiplayer in TWW2 but needed to be tuned to the new winds system. They could have made certain spells have a greater or smaller chance of knockdown, which would have been a cool reason to use besides direct damage.

Grumio posted:

I wouldn't mind if there were only four souls and possessing them conferred strong bonuses. Then if you and/or your allies hold all four souls you can progress to the final battle. If someone else holds a soul you could use the rifts to travel to them and take it off then by defeating them in battle. It would give some incentive to travel using the rifts because as is you need to be hitting a realm of chaos almost every cycle if you want to win

These would be good changes. I thought some sort of contest to dislodge/steal the soul if someone else gets it, depending on how difficult it would be to implement, in addition to buffs for possession, but your ideas seem better. That, in addition to flattening them.

I understand why they made it this way- it's so the player basically HAS to engage with the Realms of Chaos and they can't just run in on a first attempt, get the Soul and the AI has no chance of coming back. Also if the player is behind they still have a chance. The way it was implemented is just sucky. Maybe they could increase bias against any faction with a soul even more unless they are allies. It'd mean yet more anti-player bias but everyone coming after you all at once would be a good motivator to get the final fight done.

Another reason I prefer to focus on domination victory rather than the official condition. Slaanesh realm is worth it but the others... not-so-much (maybe Khorne). I'd just rather close the gates unless I get something that buffs me so instead I pound on my neighbors while they scurry.

Sieges. Woof.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I feel like I downed adversial opinion pills cuz I think I'm the only one who doesn't see why I need rewards for beating the game or rewards for doing the things that you have to do to win. I guess they could like, idk, do the Norsca thing and give you -99% upkeep? I don't really know what people expect.

I think they should have had a 'sandbox' mode for the main campaign, tho.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I feel like I downed adversial opinion pills cuz I think I'm the only one who doesn't see why I need rewards for beating the game or rewards for doing the things that you have to do to win. I guess they could like, idk, do the Norsca thing and give you -99% upkeep? I don't really know what people expect.

The thread is full of roving packs scrambling to find new and interesting ways to critique the game but mostly just writing the same post over and over.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've been playing without the rifts and I feel like the map just kinda sucks in general. The vortex map in 2 had very distinct areas that made it feel good to invade but 3 is just a land map with some mountains and a little bit of water to cross. Its not enough to make me give up a campaign but its a bit boring comparatively

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've been playing without the rifts and I feel like the map just kinda sucks in general. The vortex map in 2 had very distinct areas that made it feel good to invade but 3 is just a land map with some mountains and a little bit of water to cross. Its not enough to make me give up a campaign but its a bit boring comparatively

I don't know the mountains I see keep looking at me and trying to lick me.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
fan opinions on games are sometimes correct about what's wrong with a game but are never correct about how to fix it. The problem with the WH3 campaign is that it doesn't let you get the empire building good feelings of what people like about total war games because of the objective system. Further incentivizing the objective system would only make people complain more about being forced to interact with it to be optimal.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m liking the game a lot tbh. There are some interesting things here in terms of when you are incentivized to go wipe another faction out and whether it’s better to use the Ream of Chaos bonuses to help you do that instead of getting the souls first. Im not having a lack of field battles either; they are quite easy to bait out. I wish there was more focused character driven moments and the battlefield speeches are a step in that direction. Hope they can find ways to deepen it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

The thread is full of roving packs scrambling to find new and interesting ways to critique the game but mostly just writing the same post over and over.

i can add a novel one i havent seen elsewhere

loving tzeentch AI armies spam the poo poo out of storm of fire, each one of their armies has a separate cooldown, and they seem them for goddamn free while the player has to blow a ton of winds to get it. it means after a point in your campaign you either need a gimmick army made of units that dont take damage from it, or you just autoresolve vs them.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I feel like I downed adversial opinion pills cuz I think I'm the only one who doesn't see why I need rewards for beating the game or rewards for doing the things that you have to do to win.
To me it's kind of like if the Grand Theft Auto games had timers and you lost the game if you ignore the story missions too much. I play GTA to run over cops in fast cars and I play Total War to conquer and defend territory. You shouldn't lose by focusing too much on the thing the game is all about.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I finally just uninstalled this game. I gave it so many chances, tried every faction, and I just hate it.

I hate how units move, especially in minor settlements. Getting stuck on nothing, on each other, on every change in the terrain.

I hate the animations. I hate seeing a dragon take the sky escalator over a bridge to slowly drift now on top of infantry, only to have a seizure and jizz particle effects all over them as an attack. I hate watching two commanders try to fight and nothing syncing at all.

I hate the siege mechanics. Towers and barricades spawning from the rear end-ladder dimension. Respawning. The camera controls over the cities.

I hate the UI's garish colors, both in battle and menus. I hate neon green and red outlines, I hate the simplified iconography that strips out identity.

I hate the unit colors, everything looks so washed out and drab. It's like everything got color corrected down to muted shades or browns and greys by some Hollywood generic straight-to-Netflix director.

I hate this game and regret paying money for it now.

I really liked WHII and total wars in general, took a break since last ~Oct to replay non-WH versions like 3k, Napoleon, Atilla, and while all flawed in their own ways, I just look at this current version and the map is worse than Atilla, heroes fighting is so much worse than 3k, the colors of everything are worse than WHII which was worse than WHI, and I'm just livid with myself for giving them my money.

But most of all, I hate the friend that told me this game was fun 2 days after release, because this is the same gently caress face that told me Evil Genius 2 was fun, and I should have learned my lesson then that he's some kind of organic shill that loves the taste of apologies and 'hype' spewing out of his mouth.

I hate Total Warhammer III.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Slyphic posted:

I finally just uninstalled this game. I gave it so many chances, tried every faction, and I just hate it.

I hate how units move, especially in minor settlements. Getting stuck on nothing, on each other, on every change in the terrain.

I hate the animations. I hate seeing a dragon take the sky escalator over a bridge to slowly drift now on top of infantry, only to have a seizure and jizz particle effects all over them as an attack. I hate watching two commanders try to fight and nothing syncing at all.

I hate the siege mechanics. Towers and barricades spawning from the rear end-ladder dimension. Respawning. The camera controls over the cities.

I hate the UI's garish colors, both in battle and menus. I hate neon green and red outlines, I hate the simplified iconography that strips out identity.

I hate the unit colors, everything looks so washed out and drab. It's like everything got color corrected down to muted shades or browns and greys by some Hollywood generic straight-to-Netflix director.

I really liked WHII and total wars in general, took a break since last ~Oct to replay non-WH versions like 3k, Napoleon, Atilla, and while all flawed in their own ways, I just look at this current version and the map is worse than Atilla, heroes fighting is so much worse than 3k, the colors of everything are worse than WHII which was worse than WHI, and I'm just livid with myself for giving them my money.

But most of all, I hate the friend that told me this game was fun 2 days after release, because this is the same gently caress face that told me Evil Genius 2 was fun, and I should have learned my lesson then that he's some kind of organic shill that loves the taste of apologies and 'hype' spewing out of his mouth.

Evil Genius 2 is alright though?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

orangelex44 posted:

Evil Genius 2 is alright though?

The gently caress it is. It's poo poo.

The world map is tedious, the base building repetitive, the animations and minion-station interactions shallow and repetitive, it locks basic features behind DLC, it time gates activity to artificially lengthen the game, notifications are obnoxious and can't be filtered, the writing is just absolute poo poo lacking the charm and wit of the original replacing it with something I'd expect from a knock-off mobile developer. But the most egregious piece is that despite having 4 different voice actors for the villain, they read the exact same lines, so none of them actually have a unique character and all sound like the same generic person.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

The Aristocrats!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Slyphic posted:

The gently caress it is. It's poo poo.

The world map is tedious, the base building repetitive, the animations and minion-station interactions shallow and repetitive, it locks basic features behind DLC, it time gates activity to artificially lengthen the game, notifications are obnoxious and can't be filtered, the writing is just absolute poo poo lacking the charm and wit of the original replacing it with something I'd expect from a knock-off mobile developer. But the most egregious piece is that despite having 4 different voice actors for the villain, they read the exact same lines, so none of them actually have a unique character and all sound like the same generic person.

drat this sucks. still intend to try it at some point on sale.

Anyway apart from the shaky performance and bugs i think WH3 is pretty good, and on par with wh2 at release which is what i was expecting. I think keeping rifts, but removing the chaos corruption they spew everywhere, would smooth out the campaign- handwave it as an effect of the maelstrom or whatever. I like the realms of chaos and i hope they make it into the IE map in some fashion

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I mean, I did uninstall my game because I'm waiting for patches.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think its an offshoot of the problem of the normal campaign and the soul race being disconnected from each other, which is a real issue. You really notice it late game when you realize theres actually no benefit in continuing to expand. I dont think giving bonuses for each soul would solve that problem tho

I think it should have been similar to the vortex campaign where you accumulate some resource that you then use in a ritual to get into the chaos realm of your choice, and just do away with the whole roar and rift nonsense. I kinda get what they were going for the rifts but as they stand they are nothing but a huge time sink that actively punishes you for doing what the game wants you to do

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 9, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Slyphic posted:

A hearty lol from me

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Extra weird is that you actively get punished for going to the realms. The campaign looks at you like "Oh, you've been pursuing the objectives of the campaign? Welp, guess you gotta sit your one stack in your capital for an indeterminate amount of turns to erase all of the debuffs that you got. LOL."

I like a LOT about this game, but the campaign mechanics are not one of those things. Pretty much gonna mod the rifts out whenever the workshop opens up and forget about it, and then never touch it once the big map drops. At the same time, I don't think I'd be able to go back to WH2 right now. The diplomacy changes are amazing, the other QoL stuff is great, etc. Yes, it has issues, and yeah I'm not a huge fan of the campaign mechanics, but there's a LOT of good poo poo here, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

babypolis posted:

I think it should have been similar to the vortex campaign where you accumulate some resource that you then use in a ritual to get into the chaos realm of your choice, and just do away with the whole roar and rift nonsense. I kinda get what they were going for the rifts but as they stand they are nothing but a huge time sink that actively punishes you for doing what the game wants you to do
I'd be more fine with this, and they could have a small number of chaos rifts opening across the map as a side-effect of you doing the ritual to go to the realm of your choice (instead of every rift opening like clockwork).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i went back to TW2 and started having way more fun, thank god this was on game pass. TW3 will be dope for sure eventually, but i think immortal empires will be needed to start that path.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
im having a lot of fun!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think it's more like, they need to bin the loving souls race because it sucks but no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwaterm, so re-jig the realms of chaos to be some kinda high risk high reward place

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Gonkish posted:

Extra weird is that you actively get punished for going to the realms. The campaign looks at you like "Oh, you've been pursuing the objectives of the campaign? Welp, guess you gotta sit your one stack in your capital for an indeterminate amount of turns to erase all of the debuffs that you got. LOL."

This has made it so i'm not still running my lord around with a stack of tier 1 units at the end of the game, cos they get some enforced downtime to upgrade! I would probably be happier about this if the building that boosts removal didn't take 4 goddamn turns to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just a few months ago a lot of people in the old thread were bitching about how boring map painting is and how the last bit of the game just turns into auto resolving every fight as you slowly get the territory you need to win.

Now yall are complaining that you're not required to paint huge swathes of map, and can just unite your main land (whichever that is) and be in a good place.