Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

some fifteen years ago my brother told me he only watches shows that are completed -- lost did a number on us all -- and he still to this day goes by that rule. if i mention a tv show, he asks if its completed or not, is the journey/finale worth it? theres so much stuff to watch, you gotta filter pretty hard to run dry. i gotta admit he has a point

Is he looking forward to finally starting on Neighbours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

first episode was okay i guess but i don't know about the story for the season which involves not only an evil alternate reality but a trip back to our present. haven't we done those before? at least it had a decent starship this time.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Carthag Tuek posted:

some fifteen years ago my brother told me he only watches shows that are completed -- lost did a number on us all -- and he still to this day goes by that rule. if i mention a tv show, he asks if its completed or not, is the journey/finale worth it? theres so much stuff to watch, you gotta filter pretty hard to run dry. i gotta admit he has a point

dude completely swerved on game of thrones, mad respect for him

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4onBqilHvc

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/bogvvitch/status/1499813080364105728

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
morbius

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

is gonna be incredibly bad

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it should just be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9B7BQWnZJs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

remove the not and that's the plot of starsust crusaders

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster posted:

remove the not and that's the plot of starsust crusaders
:hmmyes:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

they are doing a stage adaptation of spirited away, love the theatrical puppet work

and also the miyazaki old lady look

https://twitter.com/TobyOlie/status/1499520946780217348

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
that looks amazing. i'll fully admit that i'm a huge sucker for stage puppetry ever since our high school production of Little Shop of Horrors tho

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jabor posted:

that looks amazing. i'll fully admit that i'm a huge sucker for stage puppetry ever since our high school production of Little Shop of Horrors tho
big same

war horse was a pretty incredible piece of puppetry

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

check out severence on appletv+. been pretty good so far

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
A big name singer was originally sought to sing "Can I Borrow a Feeling?" over the end credits. The writers wanted Sheryl Crow, but she declined and the concept was later dropped.[4]

lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OylBMKtz8

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Argento, the most appropriate-looking man in cinema

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i finally got around to watching devs and while it was very aesthetically alex garland, the plot was stupid and the ending was very very stupid.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bump_fn posted:

i finally got around to watching devs and while it was very aesthetically alex garland, the plot was stupid and the ending was very very stupid.
yeah it was nice to look at and I don't regret watching it but a lot of my enjoyment was from trainspotting locations in sf and santa cruz

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just finished the time travel episode [s2e18] of fringe with peter weller and it was a really cool story, easily the best episode of the show so far

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

qirex posted:

I just finished the time travel episode [s2e18] of fringe with peter weller and it was a really cool story, easily the best episode of the show so far

peter weller basically makes the best episodes of anything he's in

i'm thinking specifically of when he's a gigantic space racist in stars trek enterprise

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

yeah, white tulip is one of the best episodes, if not the best episode, of fringe. its a great story with an incredibly satisfying ending thats integrated into the overall season arc perfectly. its one of my favorite episodes of any tv show.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is Raised by Wolves over yet

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

indigi posted:

no hbag still lives with their parents

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what happened to that kid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

not yet and it feels like they’re gearing up to take the show as long as they can before it gets canceled

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

not yet and it feels like they’re gearing up to take the show as long as they can before it gets canceled

well, piss

oh also I saw The Batman and while it felt long I enjoyed it quite a bit. it lets Batman be a corny emo bitch, he’s annoying but it totally works in the movie. the cast is all great, Bernard from Westworld is a perfect Gordon and Gollum makes for a decent Alfred. Riddler is a great villain and Dano knocks it out of the park. I didn’t remember Colin Farrell was Penguin til the credits, that makeup and his accent are amazing. the big action setpiece in the third act is viscerally upsetting in a way no other superhero movie has been imo (Riddler bombs the sea wall and Katrina’s downtown Gotham, it’s really hosed up to watch).

there are a few moments in the movie that got big laughs out of me that are obviously intended as humorous but not played as jokes, which was nice. I think there’s only one standard joke in the whole movie and it’s a slapstick bit that really, really hits

there are problems, of course - it’s a superhero movie by committee, after all. the action isn’t as good as it should have been for a Batman movie. the car chase is pretty boring, and in a world where Mission Impossible and Bourne movies exist that’s basically unforgivable. even most of the fight scenes are underwhelming; the only really good and creative one is the strobe fight in the dark. it’s Batman for Christ’s sake, that poo poo really should have been better.

the pacing is uneven, and even though there are no obvious cuts without a rewrite, they really should have dropped a C plot or two. the criminal conspiracy is convoluted and unwieldy with way too many moving parts, it’s obvious what they’re looking for like 70 minutes into the movie but for some reason Batman is a terrible detective this go-around.

needed more Catwoman.

while writing the script they must have realized that The Riddler was the good guy at the 3/4 mark and have him behave out of character for no real reason. that’s just what PG-13 movies are nowadays, unfortunately, and this movie doesn’t escape that trap

there’s a very unsubtle theme/runner about orphans in the movie, but the filmmaker(s) didn’t actually have anything to say about it, it’s just mentioned or alluded to a lot. very lazy writing (or maybe all that stuff got cut, but either way it makes the movie ring a bit hollow)

if you like Batman as a character, this movie is a good take on that universe from a different (but in the same quadrant) perspective than the Nolan movies, and I bet you’ll like it. better than any Marvel movie I’ve seen since Homecoming (maybe Ragnarok? but that may just be my love for Cate Blanchett speaking)

e: I’d give it a solid B

indigi fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 9, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait so is he a man or is he a bat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he's a "the"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

wait so is he a man or is he a bat

hes the bat man, but not the man bat

i'll probably watch it when it goes on hbo max

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

half man
half bat
all man

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i'm not watching any "bat man" that doesn't run down the street holding a cartoon bomb above his head and then throw it in the bay to diffuse it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh another fun thing is that he does have the raccoon makeup on every time he takes his mask off

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bhodi posted:

i'm not watching any "bat man" that doesn't run down the street holding a cartoon bomb above his head and then throw it in the bay to diffuse it

so what did you think of the dark knight rises

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jabor posted:

the main appeal of wes anderson movies to me is that all the actors get to basically be in a high school play with an infinite prop, costume, and set construction budget.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that’s why I can’t stand them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't mind wes anderson when it's just white people doing twee white people poo poo but stuff like isle of dogs and darjeeling express is just painful