Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

We're fine as long as none of them are oboe users :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Theantero posted:

My favorite bit about the Hotline Miami syndicate is that they're like, in their forties, except for MuMu who is the youngest at 33.

This isn't a normal crazed murder band. This is a mid-life crisis crazed murder band.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MiiNiPaa posted:

Pianist, which killed not only thousand of civilians, seem to effortlessly kill scores of fixers... and then Black Silence came and killed him (it is ironic, how silence kills Pianist: a musician).

That may very well be backwards: it's possible they became a color and got that nickname because they defeated The Pianist. I think defeating a threat of that level is the sort of thing that earns you a color.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hmm... what are the odds that Roland was the Black Silence? We've seen hints that he was a much bigger cheese than he makes himself out to be, and the backstory he told did end with "a huge incident in my home district" that killed his wife and unborn child. And he was rather evasive about what was happening when he heard the Pianist's song.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Hmm... what are the odds that Roland was the Black Silence? We've seen hints that he was a much bigger cheese than he makes himself out to be, and the backstory he told did end with "a huge incident in my home district" that killed his wife and unborn child. And he was rather evasive about what was happening when he heard the Pianist's song.

You're not alone in considering that too. That was the first thing to go through my mind when I heard the story and Roland's comment at the end.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

MiiNiPaa posted:

And add Black Silence to Red Mist and Blue Reverberation. We are slowly building our collection of Colors.
Don't forget the Purple Tear! Roland namedropped her in the very first update.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
Not sure on the Roland = Black Silence theory myself first off he's white (I joke I joke) but more importantly Roland is kind of a scrub who had trouble fighting rats at the start. I can't imagine Kali/Gebura being that weak even if she 'loss her touch' like Roland apparently has. While the Red Mist might be the turbo murder unga bunga of the Colors I imagine all Colors are built different enough that even if they're nearly dead they could kill entire armies of rats.

Also you would imagine more people would recognize a former color even if he was trying to hide it like Roland might have done. Then again going by the story of the musicians the Black Silence might be a ninja stealth type since they just 'appeared' and killed the Pianist.

Anyways last random thought but I wonder if any of the clerks are going to try and self appoint themselves a Color name cause I feel the anime duo would be into that chunni poo poo and Tenabaris would probably rightfully claim since she beat the Red Mist she should be a color as well

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

NotteBoy97 posted:

Not sure on the Roland = Black Silence theory myself first off he's white (I joke I joke) but more importantly Roland is kind of a scrub who had trouble fighting rats at the start.

Or he's just been holding back all along.

Also Tenebrais' color is the Bird Crusher.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Or he's just been holding back all along.

Also it's kinda difficult to compare Now-Roland to Previous-Roland who we saw for all of 0.5 seconds before he got wrecked by Angela. (A datapoint which doesn't provide much comparison due to her being effectively a deity, at least within the Library?) And his current body is one reconstructed from Light, so his Anime Power Level is subject to the whole ["functionally immortal** and gains abilities by booking progressively-stronger guests"] dewey decimal system?

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Viole[n]t Avicide

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES
I like how all the designs in this game have been fairly modest and then you have sayos impossible dress and the roberts on Meow.

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES
Also, this one is another of the few human factions is have a lot of strong feelings about that dont have immediate narrative significance, I do like how brazen the hotline Miami influence is present inball of them, specially MuMu. I wonder if their motivation of being inspired by the Pianist was at all inspired by the Fans storyline in the 2nd entry...

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I like the friendship between these guys. And also the confusion re: rabbit noises.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
The real question we need to ask ourselves regarding this trio is if we are lucky or if this was a lost opportunity. Or I suppose if we are going to get any more of them before we are done with the Musicians.

Because there is a different persona MuMu could have taken, and still had that same problem at the end.

What does the Fox say?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chaosbrain posted:

The real question we need to ask ourselves regarding this trio is if we are lucky or if this was a lost opportunity. Or I suppose if we are going to get any more of them before we are done with the Musicians.

Because there is a different persona MuMu could have taken, and still had that same problem at the end.

What does the Fox say?

HWAAAORGGH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What does Roland mean by "molto vivace"? It sounds Italian and musical so I assume it's a score term like forte and legato but looking it up just gets me a punch of classical music Youtube links.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

molto vivace = a very lively and fast tempo

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Which is a bit of an odd way to describe a musician's brain, but I can guess what he's trying to say.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hwurmp posted:

molto vivace = a very lively and fast tempo

...so he's saying they're hyperactive????????

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he is saying their brains are stuck on 2x playback speed

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Hwurmp posted:

he is saying their brains are stuck on 2x playback speed

1.5x or gtfo imo

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Man with me getting sick and then the world news it's been entirely too long since I checked this LP. Still with as fast the thread move I bet I have a decent amount of catching up to do. Still I can't be that bad righ.... 1319 posts since you last read this thread.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Chaosbrain posted:

What does the Fox say?

According to Persona 4, *yip*.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Tenebrais posted:

Definitely non-zero: I've been wondering how high up the pole he lands, and his expression when the Pianist was first brought up (right when we cut back to him from the Bremen conversation) was... very pained. As others have said, his current performance specs don't necessarily correlate to past ability, and if the names of Color Fixers have anything to do with their capabilities or specializations, Black Silence would imply stealth or concealment. And as we've seen with the Red Mist in the previous LP, it's possible that a Fixer also just wears a full helm or heavily concealing mask. It would also help explain why he recognizes so many major figures yet none of them have recognized him in return: Maybe he worked in the shadows and was not easily-recognized.

Speaking of very pained: Injuring Angela is a big fuckin' nono around here, no matter how many terrible mistakes she made or how much ruin she's brought between these two LPs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Angela really is becoming a real girl! Earlier, she deflected Naoki and Lulu's attacks with perfect grace and now she's actually getting hurt.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Angela!! :ohdear:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hey angela maybe use a PA system or something to invite in guests instead of standing where you can easily get your poo poo beat by hostiles that very well might be demigods

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Fortunately for her, most of the guest are polite enough to willingly enter the Library's floor and fight the librarian there instead of just trying to fight Angela right there in the lobby.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Fortunately for her, most of the guest are polite enough to willingly enter the Library's floor and fight the librarian there instead of just trying to fight Angela right there in the lobby.

Well, most guests come for books (excluding the ones that are trying to flee some other circumstance), and it's not like attacking Angela in the lobby gets them those books.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
If you kill the library director then you become the new library director. Which then means all the books are yours. That's how these things work.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, Oink mentioned a Seven Association, so that's another one of those mentioned.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Kith posted:

hey angela maybe use a PA system or something

Everyday I get more off-topic

Before someone asks why I forgot to include angela in the comic about angela getting a PA system

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Your Everyday NEET posted:

More than one have attacked her before, this is just the first time she's gotten injured.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

MetaMeme posted:

Before someone asks why I forgot to include angela in the comic about angela getting a PA system

I deeply appreciate the idea of Angela finally getting so fed up with everything that has been happening to her in the Library that she's just like "OK, fine... (Geburah or Binah given the homoeroticism entry on that phone tree) get the hell back out here I need some stress relief."

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 25: Musicians of Bremen—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

D.A.D. is running a Sayo-based build today. While there's no drawtech to be found, Sayo's passive should keep them flush with pages until the fight ends.

I got him, guys!

Yesod… Well, welcome, I guess. I'll push the work off to you, if that's alright.

I'm just here in an advisory capacity while my team is fighting, Netzach. You'll have to learn to interpret the information yourself.

Ahh… can't blame me for trying.

Has anyone seen Angela? Normally I'd expect her to be here.

Not since she went to greet the guests. I'll track her down while you're busy.

…Such a faithful lapdog.

You know it~

Kaori is running a modified Oscar page, designed to abuse Pierce pages and deal bonus damage to bleeding opponents. Playing so many low-Light pages means we shouldn't need any regain, and Sparking Spear should be a fine way of ensuring our hand stays full.

So, how'd those last books go?

Mmm… There's nothing iin them that the fingerrs wouldn't knoow already…

So it was useless?

We'll have to use theem to lure anoother opponent… theen we can have neew intel…

So these books are like our paperclip!

Lastly, T.Hinman is running a Bleed build off of Jikan's chassis. I didn't put a lot of thought into it, I just wanted big numbers and drawtech.

Papercliip..?

It's an ancient human folktale, wherein a foolish human with a paperclip found a successive number of other, more foolish humans to force into suboptimal deals until they had cornered the local housing market!

Mmm… That sounds riight…

Remember kiddos, we're on our own today.

We've done thaat before…

Heheh… true, true. Let's just handle it like always, then.

The trio are our only opponents today, and they can be annoying opponents if we aren't prepared.

Meow is the ringleader, and our speed-bearer this time around. She gives +1 Strength to the other two on the first turn, and her Improv Drumming ability makes her Blunt hits inflict Fragile as a bonus—all of the Musicians of Bremen have this ability, and it means that multiple hits will really start to stack on extra damage.

MuMu deals a bonus 1-2 damage on any hit with a Blunt attack, and is otherwise unremarkable.

Lastly there's Oink. Like Meow in reverse, he gives 1 Feeble to two of our Librarians for the first turn of the account. This means the first turn is almost always stacked in their favor.

Almost always.

Music: YesodBattle01

Alright boys, let's strike up the band!

Uh… My body doesn't feel right…

Mine either. What's going on?

Ooh… thaat..?

Our little decknician here's set a trap for you.

We had plenty of time to check on your abilities before the fight began.

I noticed yoou guys had a gaame plaan… Soo I made a recommendatioon…

I placed Bzzz Bzzz on two of our Librarians. Each one gives 1 stack of Paralysis to all 3 of the enemies, making each of them start with 2 Paralysis. This blunts their first-turn offense, throwing them on the backfoot.

Oink is leading with Hard Rehearsal, a 3-cost page which refunds most of its own cost with no questions asked. As a result of this, its dice aren't particularly impressive on their own.

The Red Notes, meanwhile, is the signature page of the Musicians of Bremen as a whole. It gives 1 Strength for the rest of the turn to a random ally (user included) when used, and while its rolls are mediocre on their own the point is to stack Strength until they simply can't be stopped.

Lastly, MuMu is using Heavy Peaks. This page is a single beefy die, and it slaps 1 Feeble on 2 of our Librarians for this turn—this can lead to some more nasty surprises. These guys are our first instance of mid-turn stat changer pages like this, and a player who isn't paying attention to what pages they're using is in for a rude surprise.

Fittingly for a game about a Library, reading solves a lot of problems. :v:

So as you can see, the indicators tell us what the status of the enemy or our allies are…

And we just report that to them?

You've paralyzed them and they should be open to attack! Try to leave their faces intact! I want to see those smiles!

Ideally, we tell them things they couldn't already know. Just try and familiarize yourselves. We're doing some training of our own.

What kind of training, sir?

Watch and see.

Two hits, one miss—blocked mostly.

And after this hit, with the blood lost… Low 60s, both of us!

You're 58 and 57. Close.

Drat it!

Ghhh… Can't tell if that was 15 or 30 damage. It all muddles together.

It looks like… 23?

You're expecting them to remember this stuff in the middle of fighting? Thought that was why we were here.

No offense, but I'm not about to rely on anyone else for my team's safety.

What are you all muttering about numbers for? Have you developed an interest in our unique style?

Frankly, I think your trademark could use a signature change.

Hmph! Well, if you don't have any musical taste…

Perhaps this one will!

I regret to inform you that your human music will have no effect on me! The beating was, however, still painful.

B-bwaaahiii!!

I knocked the piggy off guaard..!

Alsoo… he's almoost dead… 14?

Eighteen.

It seems your plan's proceeding perfectly!

For sure. They're in real treble now.

Then don't let up! Kick their basses! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, I'm keeping that one. :mmmhmm:

This may be our last performance, Meow..!

Then perform with all you have! All that matters is the music!

I'll take the kitten this tiime…

Be careful, she's bleeding heavily but they're going to use that weird music again—and a lot of it.

Goot it..!

Unforgettable Melody is a 2-cost which gives out 2 Strength to random allies (herself included). Its rolls are much better than The Red Notes, but D.A.D. is backing up their page with a Sharpened Blade for +2 Slash die Power so we should still run right over it.

Altogether there are 4 floating Strength points we have to account for this turn. They can still land on Oink (who can't use them), but even if things go very bad for us we should still be able to overpower MuMu and Meow's dice.

Consider the human with the pig face… bacon!

Ooo… :golfclap: Good joob..!

Gotta' say, Yesod… I always pictured your employees as stuffy types like yourself.

They know when to do their work, and when to relax. I trust their judgment.

Regrettably, the target has survived!

But that sound..! It's incredible!

Nngh..! You're musicians as well, aren't you?! This is an ensemble, not a performance!

I've been known to hum a few bars of violence, I guess… Fourty?

Thirty-nine.

Tch.

Astounding..! Your presence… these wounds…

You feel just like the Pianist did!

I'll follow after and reach those same heights! Wait there for me..!

I'm… good, thanks…

This is like that..? I don't feel it, Meow.

They're different, but the feeling of them is the same!

Ah, I recognize this! Humans are known to come to absurd conclusions while rambling!

That leaves them opeen..!

Mmm… we're becoming the music ourselves!

Mmm… Zeero..?

Don't get cheeky.

HAHAHAHA! What a splendid sound! I'm sure he died with a smile on his face, friends!

Uh ooh… Hey, captaain..?

What's up, kiddo?

That laast note from the piggy… it got a soong stuck in my heead…

Is this a serious affliction?!

Naah. She just needs a rest. :mmmhmm:

We go with Rhythm on Kaori, but the fight's practically over. I decide to run an experiment. Previously, I'd assumed that booking one of the guest's allies would immediately level them up to the next Emotion Level. Meow there has just hit Emotion Level 2, and is at 0 coins.

So, I decide to see what would happen if her ally was booked while she couldn't generate any Emotion Coins.

You've got one enemy left, and she's on the ropes.

Good thing these guys aren't anything near what that pianist was supposed to be.

On the next turn, I then check on Meow's Emotion Level. She's still at 2, and at 60% of the way to 3. Since it requires 5 coins to go from 2 to 3, she's gained 3 coins from the death of her ally—the same as our Librarians get. However, I also triggered another bug. I've included her HP bar and Emotion Gauge from the bottom-left of the screen. Despite being at 60% Emotion, she's got an empty gauge. This is a visual bug, and I do not know what causes it. From time to time, it's just inaccurate. :lobcorp:

Tendon Chords, meanwhile, is a page which has a great deal of potential. Both of its effects are On Hit, making it great for one-sided attacks to heal her allies and power them up on the next turn. She's out of allies and has 2 HP, though, so… She's trying.

Music: YesodBattle02

Oink and MuMu both made such beautiful sounds in their final moments… If this is how our performance is to be, then make my end a true masterpiece! It was all worth it, for this final sound!

Is… it bad that I'm hearing music now, too?

Nah, that's just the Singing Machine, kiddo. I think it's a bit better than what she's talking about.

Yeaah… Musicians are weeird…

So… sublime!

Do you understand how this works now?

I understand you're absurd for expecting them to eyeball this stuff as they go.

They're hard workers. They'll get it eventually.

Setting that aside… I understand. Thanks.

If the Musicians of Bremen manage to leverage their first turn into a large advantage, it's possible to get cornered. Compared to the likes of Tomerry and Wedge Office, however, they're really not a large challenge. Interestingly, they tend to have weaknesses to Slash dice and use Blunt dice—the opposite of Kurokumo's Slash dice and Blunt weakness. Whichever one you clear first is guaranteed to help clear the other one.

Music: Result

Gotta' say, this suit's really not very good for blocking blunt blows.

You still made it look fabulous, D.A.D!

Just don't get hiit… It worked for mee..!

Doesn't quite work like that, kiddo.

Well, we're done here. Have fun with the cleanup.

HAHAHAHAHA! Come now, those books were clearly works of art! We should give them a once over as we help!

Really don't wanna' see anything going on in their heads, thanks.

A shame, truly! The best way to learn more of human culture is to pluck the knowledge directly from their heads!

Say… do you think Roland ever found Angela?

Hmm… I'm not sure.

VIDEO
Music: StorySimgak

That’s blood… I thought you were a pure machine!

I am surprised as well… That much impact shouldn’t have made me flinch, either…

You alright? Does it hurt bad?

…I’m still fine. Now I see how much it hurts to get hit.

Could it be that you’re getting closer to being human…?

It may be one of the signs that I’m approaching my freedom… There’s no need to be worried just yet.

So… why were you still down here?

I was… taken by surprise, then thought better of making a scene while the others were in the middle of a reception.

Then… do you need me to get you a handkerchief or something to clean up?

That isn't necessary.

SNAP

I'm returning to the Lobby.

Thank goodness you're still so unflappable... If I'm right, it's about time that we'll be advanced to the next level.

The next level?

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Angelangst.

Videos

Musicians of Bremen 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 13, 2022

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Poor mummy, he's trying to get some sleep but the kids won't stop making such a racket...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

More than one have attacked her before, this is just the first time she's gotten injured.
Okay I guess it's not that the musicians hit harder, it's that Angela herself is changing. :staredog:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When did Kaori become so adorable?

I think it's the glasses. Are those a battle symbol?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Ah, and with the musicians down the trinity is complete. Yesod can put these cards to real good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I get lots of mileage from Unforgettable Melody in Urban Nightmare. Yeah, it's roll is garbage for 2 cost, but the 1 Strength to 2 allies is pretty good in my opinion, especially when everyone on team starts throwing that card on the same turn.

Shrine to Music is also good for boss fight against a single powerful enemy like EGO Philip. Bosses have high rolls, so you blunt those with Feeble -1 Offensive dice.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 13, 2022