Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I could somewhat understand if it somehow showed exactly what was inside the fridge to cut down on opening the door as an environmental thing but we solved that problem a long time ago with the invention of a glass door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Which never stopped people from opening the door to stare gormlessly at the contents for ages anyway

And yeah, the lighting is very clearly designed around having a transparent door so you can't see poo poo inside.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

steinrokkan posted:

"additional revenue from paid ads"

As opposed to the revenue from being able to sell the poo poo in the freezers by allowing people to see inside?

I guess the future is seeing ads for crap, then going to the store to see more ads for the same crap instead of buying it?

Any long term impacts on revenue are a few quarters away at least, while the ad revenue and/or kickbacks for installing them hit the bottom line this quarter. Plenty of time to get promoted and leave someone else holding the bag.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You know their electricity costs are going to go up because people are going to get impatient and just open the door and stare inside looking for what they want. The exact thing all our mothers told us not to do with fridges and freezers.

Also christ the CEO's inspiration for the idea was from seeing people whip out their phones to look up more product information in a store. I'm guilty of this, but usually it's on bigger ticket items like electronics or media, not ice cream, sodas, and frozen veggies.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Their fixed costs are gonna go up from people who don't want to wait for an ad and end up punching the screen out of frustration

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Walgreens has been going downhill for the last twelve years anyway. I worked at one for six years. In the beginning we had 1-2 managers and at least one employee for Beauty, Photo, Registers, and a floater. By the time I quit, it was generally 1-2 managers per day and an average of 1-2 floor employees total, AND managers had to get licensed in the pharmacy to be able to help fill prescriptions. The store manager would always get mad at me for "not doing the tasks I left you" while ignoring that I had to cover lunches, the pharmacy, lines, and the photo lab.

Anyway gently caress Walgreens.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Cooler Screens CEO Avakian said he developed the concept after watching in-store customers whip out their phones to find product information and reviews. Traditionally, in-store advertising has been limited to options like signs, promotions and prominent placement on shelves. But Cooler Screens' targeted digital ads deliver at the "moment of truth," Avakian said, right as consumers decide which product to pull out of the fridg

Problem statement: customers want to know what product is best for them
Solution: the same goddamn ads you've all seen 1000 times, hopefully confusing them into buying your crap

Genuinely want to launch this guy into the sun

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Turbinosamente posted:

You know their electricity costs are going to go up because people are going to get impatient and just open the door and stare inside looking for what they want. The exact thing all our mothers told us not to do with fridges and freezers.

Also christ the CEO's inspiration for the idea was from seeing people whip out their phones to look up more product information in a store. I'm guilty of this, but usually it's on bigger ticket items like electronics or media, not ice cream, sodas, and frozen veggies.

And thing is, when you whip out your phone to look up that information it’s an experience that you are in control of. Even if the door is functionally doing the same thing it’s being foisted upon you and that sucks rear end.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

This gets lumped in with those horrible gas pumps that play ads at you as a guillotine offense.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Walmart was pushed out of Germany for less heinous poo poo.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's really seeming like the thing Black Mirror got wrong was that all the stupid bullshit had some sort of....Aesop going on. Nope. It's all just....stupid capitalism bullshit from top to bottom.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyway gently caress Walgreens.

maybe you can verify/commiserate: I once overheard two employees talking about sales. they're measured against the same week in the previous year, so every year every store gets reprimanded one week sometime in early spring simply because Easter falls on a different week year to year.

there is of course not a commensurate level of praise for hitting the Easter highs on what last year was a normal week.

just depressing as ahit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That's accurate to what I experienced working at Kroger.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

maybe you can verify/commiserate: I once overheard two employees talking about sales. they're measured against the same week in the previous year, so every year every store gets reprimanded one week sometime in early spring simply because Easter falls on a different week year to year.

there is of course not a commensurate level of praise for hitting the Easter highs on what last year was a normal week.

just depressing as ahit.

I didn't personally experience that but I worked at the biggest store in the district so we were usually pretty comfortable on the KPIs just from sheer momentum. I do know that corporate demanded the pharmacy do more flu shots and sales over the previous year no matter what, as well as spending more time talking to customers about their prescription. Obviously they also kept cutting hours and firing people without replacing them so everyone was getting run ragged.

My girlfriend used to make the schedule for pharmacists in 3-4 districts and they were literally having more people quitting/getting fired than they were bringing in and no one seemed to think it was a problem except her.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

just depressing as ahit.

Not Walgreens but this happens at Ross. And this year is especially poo poo bc 2021 had bigger sales than 2019 and our DM keeps jacking up our sales goal which fucks up our payroll when we inevitably don’t meet the goal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
In my experience it's CVS that usually looks like poo poo on the inside, especially because they still insist on using carpet on the floors. Also, and this may be a NYC thing, but around here they now have all the refrigerator and freezer doors locked and you have to press a button to notify an employee that you want some Ben & Jerry's.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Walgreens has been going downhill for the last twelve years anyway. I worked at one for six years. In the beginning we had 1-2 managers and at least one employee for Beauty, Photo, Registers, and a floater. By the time I quit, it was generally 1-2 managers per day and an average of 1-2 floor employees total, AND managers had to get licensed in the pharmacy to be able to help fill prescriptions. The store manager would always get mad at me for "not doing the tasks I left you" while ignoring that I had to cover lunches, the pharmacy, lines, and the photo lab.

Bed Bath & Beyond was basically the same way in the four years I was at one. The company practically had a military style manual that dictated we'd have a certain number of employees depending on the departments we had, time of day, and so on that on a normal weeknight we'd have 8-10 people on the floor and 1-2 managers. Around the summer of 2017, they started heavily cutting hours, so by the time I left in 2019 we'd be trying to make due with 4-5 people plus a manager, and that was with our foot traffic having increased significantly (We were in the same plaza as Whole Foods, across the street from Costco and Trader Joes), so our store was never maintained or as restocked as it should be.

Empty Sandwich posted:

just depressing as ahit.

Measuring sales based on the same day or week the year before is pretty much standard in retail. Supposedly, stores consider that there are some holidays that don't fall on the same date every year, but in general, they're piss poor about considering anything else.

Here's some examples, from when I worked at Toys R Us. Our store was in a mall across the street from the arena where the Florida Panthers play, and our customer base was 99% foreign tourists, mostly from South America. At the time, the Panthers were poo poo, but the main thing was the other events like concerts and whatnot. So, if Disney on Ice was literally across the street for a week, our sales would blow up even more (We were already one of the top 3 stores in the company), so those days & that week were awesome. A year later, we're getting rebuked by corporate cause our sales weren't matching year-to-date, even though they were very much in-line with our usual numbers. The opposite way happened when the World Cup was going on, and the entire mall would be a loving ghost town. We had days that only had a few hundred dollars in sales, coming nowhere close to making budget for the day, and people would be getting sent him after an hour or two. Obviously, that sort of stuff was 100% beyond our control. A year later they're reporting absurd numbers compared to year-to-date. We'd get similar swings depending on what movie was coming out (Stuff like Frozen or Cars or anything Minion related always did well, Big Hero 6 merch didn't really interest the tourists).

The various regional manager types (All inevitably middle aged white guys named Bruce or Brett or Dave) sometimes understood that, sometimes they didn't. By the time I left there, our manager was keeping records of the events going on at the arena and what movies were being released or playing in the big multiplex on the other side of the mall, which depending on the regional people, sometimes was fully understood, but sometimes fell on deaf ears who only were concerned with the bottom line (Or worse, poo poo like rewards or credit card sign ups that were utterly impossible since less than 1% of our customers even qualified).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That's accurate to what I experienced working at Kroger.

Same for Books-A-Million when I worked there. If the store didn't sell more 20$ membership cards than last year then everyone got reprimanded. Literally the only thing that mattered was number go up.

Also, I know Newegg isn't exactly circling the drain, but man they are going through some poo poo lately. Tl;dr version: Gamer's Nexus ordered a refurbished motherboard from them, then realized they didn't actually need it before it got delivered. They returned it without opening the box, and Newegg said that the board was damaged so they were keeping the money AND the board and GN could go kick rocks. GN fought with them to at least get the board back and it turns out Newegg knew the board was damaged, declined to pay for the repairs and then sold it while leaving the evidence of all that on a sticker on the board itself. GN then published everything and decided fly out and confront Newegg face to face. The interview is basically "yea, we hosed up but we promise we won't be scummy anymore!"

Here's the Gamer's Nexus Playlist (which includes the face to face interview): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsuVSmND84QtAQc1-VjA5gT5v6ugM1gdZ and there's been half a dozen other tech Youtubers sounding off in their own videos saying that they've had the same issues going back 15-20 years. Bonus points for literally every Supervisor/C-Suite person in that interview being with the company for less than 2 years except for one guy who had been there close to 20 but had only been in management for two. High turnover always inspires confidence.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Soysaucebeast has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Mar 14, 2022

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

just depressing as ahit.

That's how most retail works, when I worked at Best Buy (1998-2002), there was the PS2 launch, the Xbox 360 launch, etc. and guess what happened the next year? Yep, sky-high sales expectations on that day, despite the big seller having come out the year before. It was miserable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

In my experience it's CVS that usually looks like poo poo on the inside, especially because they still insist on using carpet on the floors. Also, and this may be a NYC thing, but around here they now have all the refrigerator and freezer doors locked and you have to press a button to notify an employee that you want some Ben & Jerry's.
Yeah carpet is not a good choice for a place that has tons of foot traffic

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They don't put carpet in the new ones but there still are a lot of those carpet ones flowing out there. I think they used be Osco or something.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Basticle posted:

Walgreens isnt circling the drain but I feel the need to post this

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/12/business/walgreens-freezer-screens/index.html

jfc

I love how the article seems to imply that the people not liking the screens are just a bunch of olds "afraid of change".
It's not fear of change when the change is completely loving stupid.

Space Robot has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Mar 14, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Corpos don't even like the screens either. Its a product for no-one except walgreens

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah carpet is not a good choice for a place that has tons of foot traffic from the indescribably filthy public.

Ftfy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah carpet is not a good choice

FTFY

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Online retailing (but specifically Amazon) is eating American retailers whole, and most retailers are responding by trying to squeeze as much money in bonuses from the sinking ship as they can before the last old decrepit boomers stop showing up to pay with a cheque.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How the gently caress do you justify the cost of that? Smart touch screens versus a piece of glass?
That way if they run out of Mountain Dew, they can implement Surge pricing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Space Robot posted:

I love how the article seems to imply that the people not liking the screens are just a bunch of olds "afraid of change".
It's not fear of change when the change is completely loving stupid.

I saw a door screen for the first time when visiting my mom back home. I swear to god I thought I was having a REALLY weird pre-migraine aura but no, that’s a screen on the door for what appears to be no good goddamn reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

teen witch posted:

I saw a door screen for the first time when visiting my mom back home. I swear to god I thought I was having a REALLY weird pre-migraine aura but no, that’s a screen on the door for what appears to be no good goddamn reason.

I forgot the context that this post was made in, and for a moment I was like “Wait, what? I know that screen doors can create moiré patterns, but are Swedes really unaware of their purpose?”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I forgot the context that this post was made in, and for a moment I was like “Wait, what? I know that screen doors can create moiré patterns, but are Swedes really unaware of their purpose?”

Swedes are easily disoriented by moiré patterns and elevated levels of Capsaicin, but thankfully, I’m an American with Swedish citizenship, so +2 resistance to the dreaded pitfalls (at the cost of -4 not shutting the gently caress up)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I will say lately Walgreens is like 20-30% cheaper for name brand stuff for a lot of basic things and have some great coupons and rebates if you can jump through those hoops. It could just be that locally we're inflating slower than the nation, who knows. But since I already can't trust my packages not to walk off and have to get in the car to go to an Amazon locker anyway I might as well drive 2-3 minutes farther to the 24 hour walgreens and pay less and have it when I need it (especially if shipping slows down in response to gas prices). But drat in my heart of hearts I want to kick those screens in.

GWBBQ posted:

lmao

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Nice :dadjoke:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Online retailing (but specifically Amazon) is eating American retailers whole, and most retailers are responding by trying to squeeze as much money in bonuses from the sinking ship as they can before the last old decrepit boomers stop showing up to pay with a cheque.

For some stores this is true.However, I worked for Best Buy (In Canada) and the store I worked at did really good numbers. Like, they made a hefty profit as far as sales numbers went. Physical retailers are now also making money because they do things like charge companies for better space on the floor. Want your product to be the thing people see when walking the main track? Pay us and we’ll display it front and center.

What’s driving most retailers to be poo poo? Greed. Complete unhinged greed. Number must always go up. Had a good year last year, next had got to be better. Were you able to do the job with 3 people? Well now you can probably do it with just 2. Who needs loss prevention? We’ll just blame employees for not being hyper vigilant when something gets stolen. Cashiers? Eh, the mornings are slow anyway, we only really need them from about 12-7 and from 10-12 and 7-9 we can just close down the lanes and send them to customer service.

People still like retail as they are able to get some direction on what they can look for, see a physical thing, and get help if needed. What is really killing retail is retails unbridled greed killing anything that actually makes retail the better option from shopping online.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

People still like retail as they are able to get some direction on what they can look for, see a physical thing, and get help if needed. What is really killing retail is retails unbridled greed killing anything that actually makes retail the better option from shopping online.

100% this.

There are also companies purposefully cutting down retail and trying to divert people to either online or over the phone. I moved from retail to over the phone a year ago, and I can process the same number of transactions that a smaller store does, and the company gets to reduce retail staff and stores to save money.

I’ll literally have customers call and be like "the store was busy so they gave me this number to call," and then I process whatever order , and if it is not in stock it gets shipped and the store gets no credit. Same way people will call the store to check inventory, they actually can’t call the store directly anymore, it routes to the call center no matter what. I then order whatever and usually end up shipping it.

I was telling the directors in retail right before I was able to get the hell out of retail that it was crazy to have the same or higher goals when customers can’t even call us, but it was basically "whelp, they won’t change it so nothing to do about. Btw what’s your credit card attach rate ?"

Like, I’m in a better spot because of it , but it’s crazy to see from the other side how much they both cut retail staffing, purposefully direct sales away, and still have the same goals.

My other favorite part is they were like "stores should be more customer care focused," which, they get more and more online issues, returns, etc so that could make sense. But that means handling more escalations that may require credits. And the stores ops number is based on number of transactions. So literally, you are giving stores a higher customer survey metric, but directing away sales, so it fucks their ops numbers when they have to handle more escalations with lower sales to adjust for it.

They didn’t listen to me on that either. Glad I got to the other side.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GWBBQ posted:

<:mad:>

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I prefer Walgreens to most other drugstores, but if you were following the Theranos disaster you can see just how stupid their top executives are. LCD freezer doors are amateur hour compared to giving people incredibly wrong blood results.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are refrigerator doors actually (ok like 2 of them are freezer doors).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Wafer posted:

I prefer Walgreens to most other drugstores, but if you were following the Theranos disaster you can see just how stupid their top executives are. LCD freezer doors are amateur hour compared to giving people incredibly wrong blood results.

“But what if it’s not a scam and CVS invests? We just can’t take that chance!”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Walgreens was well aware that regular machines were being used to test the blood rather than the Theranos miracle boxes, it was being done in their own loving stores. They only suspended the deal once the Ioannidis piece came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Walgreens is funny because the middle aged ladies behind the counter never know what Swishers are or where to look for them and give me advice that smoking them is bad for me