Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endless Mike posted:

also the case is gigantic compared to airpods

yeah i mentioned that earlier. by far their worst quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

give me a plantinum/snow white studio timb

https://twitter.com/realjohnfarnham/status/1502123812892327938

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
give me that snow white design timb.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

the modern art museum in munich has a display of snow white hardware in the industrial design exhibit and it looks amazing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
have they managed to keep it from yellowing?

i don't really mind the look, but it's not quite what it was when it was new

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they have, that's the part that surprised me I hadn't seen apple hardware that color in 30 years

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ya, they hire the 8 bit guy to come out each year and put the cases in a storage bin on his driveway for a few days

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also i wonder how the se/30 we have in the attic is faring

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

snow beige

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

they have, that's the part that surprised me I hadn't seen apple hardware that color in 30 years

are they stored in like argon or something?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

ya, they hire the 8 bit guy to come out each year and put the cases in a storage bin on his driveway for a few days

lmao

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

maybe they keep a few gallons of retrobrite around

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

are they stored in like argon or something?

abs plastic turns yellow when exposed to ultraviolet light. museums are pretty good about protecting their artifacts from uv

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

carry on then posted:

does he wave the assault rifle around before or after?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a joke where you lost 50 macintoshes se/30 while fording a river on the argon trail

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i call abs plastic “ay-bis” and no one respects me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I wouldn't, yeah

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
yeah i cant defend the size of the powerbeats pro case. literally one of the reasons i need to find a respectable sized purse :smith:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I got a nice one off amazone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apparently not one of the models affected by the battery recall

the screen wouldn't close because the upper assembly was so distended from the swelling

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

apparently not one of the models affected by the battery recall

the screen wouldn't close because the upper assembly was so distended from the swelling

why are theirs so commonly expanding? dell and lenovo don't have this issue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk, i'd assume a chemistry issue, or a mix of design/chemistry/charge management that just happens to exacerbate the issue, but i've got macs going back to the TI book pro with pillow batteries.

weirdly, this thing could run off the battery for like an hour and a half in this state

e: maybe it's because for the most part people aren't still using seven year old dells and if they are they've had the battery replaced. i've seen a few of the post-2015 xps line with battery swelling, though not nearly as bad as this

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 13, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wonder how many older batteries might be a little swollen but thicker cases don't show it because there's some unintentional room to expand. this is probably not that likely, though i wonder. i've had it happen to a kindle dx, too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...if you ever decide to get rid of that kindle dx, pm me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

...if you ever decide to get rid of that kindle dx, pm me.

assuming i never buy an overpriced replacement battery i'm probably going to harvest the screen for projects, sorry!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

idk, i'd assume a chemistry issue, or a mix of design/chemistry/charge management that just happens to exacerbate the issue, but i've got macs going back to the TI book pro with pillow batteries.

weirdly, this thing could run off the battery for like an hour and a half in this state

e: maybe it's because for the most part people aren't still using seven year old dells and if they are they've had the battery replaced. i've seen a few of the post-2015 xps line with battery swelling, though not nearly as bad as this

yeah dell had some swelling issues with the xpses but they just fixed it without any hassle. they also did pre-emptive replacements for anyone who wanted one even if not technically part of the bad batch.

people make a big deal out of apple defects cause apple support is such dogshit.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

weve had maybe 20 percent of the macs pre-2018 that show back up in our orbit (computing services office at a university) with battery packs that feature swelling. it seems to come mostly from folks that expect the battery to do full marketing-capacity 100 percent charge/discharge cycles forever. they usually tell us poo poo like “oh well last year i noticed i was only getting about two hours of battery life” and that didn’t strike them as worth their attention at the time, so they kept using it and then it got to the point it would die after five minutes off the wall and the lid won’t close anymore.

tenured faculty amirite

that said, my mom killed her early slimline xps 13 by running it plugged in basically all the time and swelling the battery, and she just did the same thing to an inspiron 13 kickflip-hinge… battery starts swelling, eventually bending the main board and that’s it for the machine. i told her we would be doing a battery replacement after two years and set a reminder in my calendar, hopefully we can keep this current machine going for a while. also she didn’t buy an i3 with 4 gigs of ram like last time, but i digress.

i have seen battery swelling on one other xps 13 at work and then of all things one latitude 7450’s removable battery. we think someone found it after a couple years and tried to start using it without swapping the battery.

in our experience, it’s a combination of poor user behavior and ignored maintenance (likely caused mostly by jony’s stupid loving fixation with thinness and its terrible rippling impact on the whole computer industry). people definitely do not keep their windows machines as long at work because they aren’t told to develop such a strong attachment to them by dell or microsoft, and because their departments scoff less at the lower overall expense of buying a new one. why nobody ever wants to get poo poo fixed when it is broken is beyond me, but dell’s warranty is way easier to deal with and the machines themselves are usually more repairable, so I assume whoever buys them surplus enjoys the good deal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

don’t forget that apple trusted intel’s “TDP” numbers so Intel MacBooks run hot which reduces the lifespan of everything inside there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

assuming i never buy an overpriced replacement battery i'm probably going to harvest the screen for projects, sorry!

curse you and your very similar hobbies

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

why are theirs so commonly expanding? dell and lenovo don't have this issue

we’ve had a ton of dell’s swell up too

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yeah we got a whole line of dell latitudes where nearly half their batteries swelled up within 2 years, we’re constantly swapping them out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

we have a pile of samsung tablets at work swollen out of their cases, if there's a battery in a thing it's going to swell eventually. most of the ipods i've repaired have had swollen batteries, but there's space in those classic cases so it doesn't really matter

j o y c e
Jan 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haven't you been banned like three times now? how much are you going to spend on really tepid shitposts?

j o y c e
Jan 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just looking for a friend, friend

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, whatever you do, don't change so that people will like you.

shine on you crazy diamond

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

okay but also sometimes your 'real self' can suck and you need to sit down and be self critical and grow.

hth

j o y c e
Jan 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This seems like a fairly questionable decision but at the same time probably inevitable:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/13/kuo-only-iphone-14-pro-models-to-get-a16-chip/

Why upgrade your phone if you're not even getting a new processor? I guess from Apple's side maybe they're thinking 'Why use a new processor if no one can tell the difference anyway?'