Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hey so for folks like Vital Signs who said "Democrats should come out against CRT in schools because it's already not taught there, free win"....

....congrats you have the political instincts of Beto

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1502451273647341569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

DST is good actually and should remain as it is

Are you including switching the clocks as "remain as it is"? And if so, then explain yourself you monster.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Are you including switching the clocks as "remain as it is"? And if so, then explain yourself you monster.

Finally we in the US get to choose between "clexit" and "remain"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I remember when Bill Gates was held up as a saint by many liberals a decade ago.

Good podcast about his foundation focused on feeding Africa from Al Jazeera.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Hey so for folks like Vital Signs who said "Democrats should come out against CRT in schools because it's already not taught there, free win"....

Considering how the dem response to being accused of defunding the police is to say that they want to fund the police, I guess I'm not that surprised at this outcome.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Attract the boomer demographic to eliminating DST by promising you will no longer have to figure out how to change the time on your microwave twice a year

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember when Bill Gates was held up as a saint by many liberals a decade ago.

Nearly all the major philanthropy stuff is tax scams, if not outright bait and switch.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Nearly all the major philanthropy stuff is tax scams, if not outright bait and switch.

The episode also mentions it is enticing to Bill and his ilk in that (in an exact quote) “having a green revolution in these areas will prevent a red revolution.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

The episode also mentions it is enticing to Bill and his ilk in that (in an exact quote) “having a green revolution in these areas will prevent a red revolution.”

Given that a lot of the philanthropy green revolution stuff has largely fallen flat on its face: I'll count that as bait and switch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The House is considering a bill that would just abolish DST and make standard time permanent

Oh gently caress, this is the worst option by far. DST all the time is obviously the right way to go!

I want more sunshine AFTER work. What kind of loving freak wants more sunshine before work? That sunshine is wasted by sleeping.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaxyon posted:

To be fair to Beto, "collegiate history/sociology material should not be taught in K-12 schools" is a very reasonable position as well as the status quo, and if that's how you have to phrase it to get more votes, I say "whatevs."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

It's the optimal setup for maximizing effective use of daylight, plus in the fall you get an extra hour of sleep and in the spring you get an excuse for being an hour late to work

No downsides

Basically ben franklin was right

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 14, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mellow Seas posted:

To be fair to Beto, "collegiate history/sociology material should not be taught in K-12 schools" is a very reasonable position as well as the status quo, and if that's how you have to phrase it to get more votes, I say "whatevs."

He tried to explain and then they asked again and they made him just say no to CRT in schools without the qualifiers.

Because they know what CRT means. They don't care about what it really is. They don't want white kids learning real history, and that's what it's about, not the actual academic term.

The smart move here was not to fall into this trap but instead ignore it and pivot to something positive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't remember when Bill Gates was declared a saint, but the main points of the author they interview are:

- AGRA set a goal of doubling corn production. There is no official data, but some unofficial estimates say that it only increased 29% on average and 66% in the best performing country - Rwanda.

- Income and food security increased, but small-time farmers saw a smaller increase than the general population.

- That AGRA set a goal of increasing the number of women farmers, but there weren't many new women farmers and most of the aid went to male farmers.

- That AGRA's public data doesn't get down into incredibly granular results that would be useful for researchers.

That sounds like they did some good, but less than promised, and were not as efficient at producing results per dollar as estimated.

Seems like they fell short, but it's not especially damning on Bill Gates as a person?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1503410638923644935?s=20

Her position on climate change sank her. Manchin has voted to confirm her twice before this.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It makes me feel really super loving skeptical (instead of just regular loving skeptical) about Manchin's assertion that he's totally ready to support substantial climate change measures in a party-line reconciliation bill.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I’m imagining the people shepherding the KJB Supreme Court nomination are not super comfortable right now. They have not one but two maverick wildcards to contend with.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1503410638923644935?s=20

Her position on climate change sank her. Manchin has voted to confirm her twice before this.

Her position was one of denial and that sank her.

Right?

Right? :shepicide:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't remember when Bill Gates was declared a saint, but the main points of the author they interview are:

- AGRA set a goal of doubling corn production. There is no official data, but some unofficial estimates say that it only increased 29% on average and 66% in the best performing country - Rwanda.

- Income and food security increased, but small-time farmers saw a smaller increase than the general population.

- That AGRA set a goal of increasing the number of women farmers, but there weren't many new women farmers and most of the aid went to male farmers.

- That AGRA's public data doesn't get down into incredibly granular results that would be useful for researchers.

That sounds like they did some good, but less than promised, and were not as efficient at producing results per dollar as estimated.

Seems like they fell short, but it's not especially damning on Bill Gates as a person?

I was referring to the idea that billionaire philanthropist will help save the world, something that was very common amongst liberal circles (well even more than now) during the 2000s and early 2010s.

There was also the fact that the foundation pushed the “go big or go home” with crops that used the model India used of high fertilizer and mono crops, but has recently been devastating for the country and will become further devastating as food shortages become more common due to the Ukraine-Russian war.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

I’m imagining the people shepherding the KJB Supreme Court nomination are not super comfortable right now. They have not one but two maverick wildcards to contend with.

Sinema hasn't said anything yet, but Manchin actually had positive things to say about her after she met with him last week. He said that she was more liberal than he was personally, but very smart/qualified/personal and he thinks the first black woman supreme court justice would be a big deal.

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1501944161833943042

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

selec posted:

Gotta bring back earmarks so these senators can just be bribed like the olden days.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PeterCat posted:

I believe in Medicare for All as a practical matter. It would provide the best amount of coverage in the most efficient manner. It would cost less than the amount of money already being spent on healthcare. Owes and deserves doesn't really factor into it.

I differentiate that from the idea that people who can work and aren't should be paid anyway and am not in favor of UBI.

I am lol'ing that we both got probed for BS reasons in a short space of each other.

What do you think about providing everyone housing and food and water and heat etc as a practical matter. Would that be OK, is it just cutting people checks that you object to?

I mean you could exclude unemployed people from Medicare, that wouldn't make it less efficient for the rest of us, those unemployed people would just die. It's just that we don't think getting laid off should mean if you get cancer you just have to die of it right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PostNouveau posted:

Gotta bring back earmarks so these senators can just be bribed like the olden days.

Aren’t earmarks back now? Except it’s not helping because to modern republicans, bringing in federal funding is now nearly as bad as siding with democrats

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

White House says they aren't withdrawing Raskin's nomination and will try to find one Republican Senator who will support her.

Seems pretty unlikely. Murkowski is almost certainly a "No" and Collins hasn't specified yet, but I doubt she bucks all 49 other Republican Senators.

https://twitter.com/chrismeagher46/status/1503411232304476170
https://twitter.com/chrismeagher46/status/1503411235072712705

haveblue posted:

Aren’t earmarks back now? Except it’s not helping because to modern republicans, bringing in federal funding is now nearly as bad as siding with democrats

Yeah, Democrats brought back earmarks in a limited form. All earmarks combined can't be more than 1% of the bill.

It's not how they used to be, but up to 1% of the discretionary funding in any budget or bill can be directed to specific projects.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
I mean it does seem like a pure power flex, I don't see why one would be okay with Cook and against Raskin, so I assume Manchin and co are just making a fuss to draw concessions.;

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

This is a hilariously dishonest misinterpretation of what I said about CRT, but it's a good burn so I'll let it slide

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

This is a hilariously dishonest misinterpretation of what I said about CRT, but it's a good burn so I'll let it slide

Honestly I think that clip is just a great example of how it doesn't matter what you say and charisma is really what matters. Anything Beto could say in that voice to that crowd would come off like they're bullying him into it. He sounds like a nerd who's trying to convince them not to beat him up, not like someone who's going to help them. He's not taking ownership of the issue or anything it's just an aww jeez guys I also don't want CRT which comes off as pathetic.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

It makes me feel really super loving skeptical (instead of just regular loving skeptical) about Manchin's assertion that he's totally ready to support substantial climate change measures in a party-line reconciliation bill.

You should be, I don't know why anybody would believe him. He straight up admitted to spending 2021 loving around and stringing everyone along with no intention of following through(which was obvious at the time too but a lot of people wouldn't let themselves see it for whatever reason). Personally I would not believe anything he says, since it has little bearing on what he's actually going to do

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

When we were talking about Garcetti's nomination not yet having gone through a while back I didn't know why it was being withheld from a floor vote, but it looks like Grassley is investigating Garcetti having turned a blind eye to his serial sexual harasser aide, Rick Jacobs:

quote:

Senate Democrats can confirm Garcetti without GOP support provided they have all 50 members in attendance as well as Vice President Kamala Harris’ tiebreaking vote. But if Grassley delays the vote, it would use up valuable floor time.

The allegations against Jacobs have shadowed Garcetti and dimmed his once-bright political star since a Los Angeles Police Department officer who served on the mayor’s security detail filed a lawsuit two years ago claiming that not only did Garcetti witness Jacobs’ behavior, but that he refused to step in to stop it.

That filing from that officer, Matthew Garza, against the city of Los Angeles in July 2020 included allegations of crude and unwanted sexual comments and touching by Jacobs that he claims went on for years. It alleges that Garcetti laughed at Jacobs’ crude comments.

In addition to Garza and Seligman, other accusers have since come forward to talk about Jacobs’ alleged widespread sexual harassment and abuse — punctuated by a photograph of Jacobs making a provocative gesture over the genital area of another man — with Garcetti pictured among the group.

Jeremy Bernard, a social secretary in the Obama White House who once led Garcetti’s Mayor’s Fund nonprofit co-founded with Jacobs, has cast doubt on the idea that the mayor was unaware of Jacobs’ conduct. He testified that, in 2017, Garcetti had said something to the effect of, “I can’t believe Rick worked out at City Hall and that we got through it without a lawsuit,” and that he had heard others claim they heard the same.

But Bernard also said in his deposition that he never witnessed Jacobs – whom he considered a close friend — act inappropriately at fundraisers or social settings.

Suzi Emmerling, another former Garcetti aide, said in a deposition in the Garza case that the mayor’s then-chief of staff, Ana Guerrero, told her that the mayor knew “how bad Rick is.” Emmerling further testified that a number of other people spoke with her about how they’d been harassed by Jacobs or witnessed his behavior — including an unnamed “prominent journalist” who relayed to her that Jacobs was “doing all of these things right in front of the mayor” and that they “had never seen a staffer behave that way in front of a principal.”

Having worked with both Jacobs & Garcetti back in the day as a campaign volunteer, and having heard first-hand how Jacobs harassed a fellow volunteer & friend of mine, I totally believe the allegations, as well as Garcetti's complicity.

It's a rare instance of Grassley doing a good thing; I hope his investigation kills the nomination.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Benjamin Hall, Fox News's Senior Foreign Affairs reporter in Ukraine, was near an office building bombed by Russia and hospitalized with critical injuries.

No details beyond the fact that he is hospitalized in Ukraine and has serious injuries.

He was the Fox News reporter who got into an argument with Greg Gutfield last week when Gutfield suggested that Russia wasn't really bombing Ukraine that much and the media was hyping up the very limited bombing to get an emotional reaction.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1503445538414514177

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 14, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's amazing how liberals have backed themselves into a corner involving CRT.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Benjamin Hall, Fox News's Senior Foreign Affairs reporter in Ukraine, was near an office building bombed by Russia and hospitalized with critical injuries.

No details beyond critical condition.

He was the Fox News reporter who got into an argument with Greg Gutfield last week when Gutfield suggested that Russia wasn't really bombing Ukraine that much and the media was hyping up the very limited bombing to get an emotional reaction.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1503445538414514177

We live in the dumbest timeline so I won't be the least bit shocked when a Fox News reporter ends up being the thing that kicks off WW3 and the accompanying nuclear inferno

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

We live in the dumbest timeline so I won't be the least bit shocked when a Fox News reporter ends up being the thing that kicks off WW3 and the accompanying nuclear war.

A different American journalist was killed outside of Kiev yesterday. I don't think this is likely to kick off a war.

Ukraine's chief prosecutor said that he doesn't have exact details about the situation, but that he has heard that Hall has shrapnel damage to his torso and two broken legs. "Shrapnel damage to torso" could mean a lot of things, but considering that he was near a building hit by a missile and is hospitalized and not dead, then he probably isn't going to die.

Biden also said the other day that there won't be any direct conflict unless Russia invades a NATO country. Putin has done a lot of horrible and dumb things that most people didn't think he would actually do, but I don't think he is dumb enough to invade Poland, Turkey, or Norway.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1502353759455821833

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 14, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Oh gently caress, this is the worst option by far. DST all the time is obviously the right way to go!

I want more sunshine AFTER work. What kind of loving freak wants more sunshine before work? That sunshine is wasted by sleeping.
This is how i've felt, but some people rise with the sun, and I kind of get that. Feels a little wierd leaving for work and having it still be dark. That said, having it be already dark when I'm heading home feels probably worse.

Also, I want to say standard time would also mean super early sun rises in summer? gently caress that noise.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 14, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

The thing is that white folks are uncomfortable with talking about real history and that's bipartisan....obviously it's worse from the conservatives but also liberal whites are a problem on this.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Jaxyon posted:

The thing is that white folks are uncomfortable with talking about real history and that's bipartisan....obviously it's worse from the conservatives but also liberal whites are a problem on this.

Yup. It was not an argument you were going to win.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

"CRT" doesn't even really exist. It was just something the right made up to make it sound like there is some type of government crafted policy to teach race in schools. The fact that the Democrats/liberals even accept that CRT is even a thing chalks up to a huge blunder.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

I certainly don't remember him being held up as a saint by anyone, especially in these forums.

Who specifically are you talking about? You said many, so I'm certain you must have a lot of different sources.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Again, who specifically are you speaking of?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

punk rebel ecks posted:

They didn't "back themselves into a corner;" the outrageous levels of white racism in the US, combined the competent messaging of conservative politicians and activists, backed them into the corner.

Democrats don't just lose messaging wars, sometimes Republicans win them. And sometimes - like with racial issues, or things that affect energy prices - they start off with a huge advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Pretty brilliant GOP response to the Democrat strategy of abandoning the working class and pivoting to appeal to the sensibilities of affluent white suburbanites in 2018 and 2020

All it took was one wedge issue to snap them right back to voting Republican, especially now that the gauche reality TV president is gone and the nice polite sweater vest Republicans are back going "gosh we can't be teaching our sweet boys and girls to hate themselves for their skin color"

Of only it had been possible to see this risk coming ahead of time, who could have known that wealthy white PMCs are just conservative??