Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
We're back!

And it's still kinda bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ILL Machina posted:

We're back!

And it's still kinda bad.

I keep forgetting that it exists and it's out now, and I haven't gotten up the motivation to even look at it.

Apparently Picard is the show that's finally breaking my longtime willingness to go in on any Trek show, even knowing I may not like it, based on my overall love for the franchise. :sigh:

sad question
May 30, 2020

Which Mass Effect is this season based on

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I appreciated them apologizing for how lovely the last season was. I look forward to them apologizing for how lovely this season will be.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think it’s quite good so far. :(

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Q breaks the fourth wall. "The show will be good this season, Patrick." :smuggo:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

HD DAD posted:

I think it’s quite good so far. :(

Same, though I'm a huge sucker for both Q and alternate universes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Same, though I'm a huge sucker for both Q and alternate universes

100% same.

I just have a feeling I'm gonna get burned again if I care about it at all :negative:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is the stupid romulan ninja in it still

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is the stupid romulan ninja in it still

He spends the first two episodes getting beaten up

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MrQwerty posted:

He spends the first two episodes getting beaten up

I am so conflicted about watchin this now

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll admit, the first two episodes have been pretty solid so far. :shrug: I was a bit annoyed they're gonna spend the season in an alternate evil timeline (It's more or less Mirror universe with slightly different circumstances, come on), but them teaming up with a Borg Queen has me intrigued. It was also nice to get a Gul Dukat and Gowron cameo.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

How nice that the girl robot who was a hair’s breath away from committing cosmic genocide last year is now an ambassador who goes to fancy dinner parties and makes trite speeches.

I thought trek was supposed to be escapism?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m 110% down for the Mystery Machine gang going on a wacky time travel adventure with the Borg Queen in tow.

I’m usually very lenient on Trek, and I found the first season practically unwatchable. It was offensively bad. Unsurprising swapping out most of the production team made it better.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I gave the first ep of season two some slack for spending the whole time setting up reunion scenes for everyone that took up the large majority of the screen time...

...then they get alt-timelined and have a fresh reunion episode for #2.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Is this whole series just about reunions? Rip

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

no_tears posted:

Is this whole series just about reunions? Rip

Redshirts in Runabouts Getting Raktajino

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ILL Machina posted:

I gave the first ep of season two some slack for spending the whole time setting up reunion scenes for everyone that took up the large majority of the screen time...

...then they get alt-timelined and have a fresh reunion episode for #2.

I'm excited for when they finally go back in time and for some reason end up spread across the galaxy and they have to reunite again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OK I realized I was still subscribed to Paramount because of Discovery and watched the first episode. It had some OK stuff, mostly knowing that John de Lancie was gonna show up and realizing that Old John de Lancie is even cooler than Young John de Lancie.

But also lol, in all the ripping off of Mass Effect, I completely forgot that they made maybe the most against-character copout ever in turning Picard into a robut at the end of the first season. And it feels like they're just ignoring it, outside of a Guinan comment that might as well just be a TNG reference? I dunno if they'll get more into that, but it feels like they should at least be leaning into the "well you're a robotman who cheated death" angle any time someone talks with Picard, since it was a strong enough plot point to use for the first season finale.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

the funniest thing about making picard a robot was that they were basically walking it back and saying it didn't matter in the same episode where it happened

he's no stronger, has no new abilities, and will still age and die like a regular human

he's not even an android in the sense that data was, he's a "flesh and blood" android, something they never really dug into in the first season because it didn't really make any sense (you can't even detect they aren't human but somehow they can tear through steel flooring and also explode?)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

They should've named the ship after him and let him die. We figured this out last season.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

so is the borg queen revealed to be picard's mom yet? just watched the rlm bit on episode 1. don't have the mental fortitude to watch the show myself

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

once again star trek picard is used to cast a strong light on the worst writing. first season was a wombo combo of the drek that was X and 2009, bringing the embarrassing handling of the romulans front and centre to ensure that one of the most interesting and threatening cultures are defanged and ridiculous forever going forward

and now season two is letting everyone sit with how loving stupid the entire borg queen concept was and we get to just sit with that even more because she's on the crew now, except without a body, so stupid

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Episode 3 (and wherever the show seems to be going) feels wildly mixed to me. I think this is the first time I've watched a "Star Trek visits the present" story in real time, and it feels weird because some of the stuff they're trying to do is decent, but it all seems mired down by the whole thing feeling like the writers are attempting the usual time travel comedy bits while still trying to be A Dramatic Series. It feels like it could be way more fun if they just had a lighter touch and leaned more into the inherent silliness.

Also yeah, the Borg Queen was always lovely as a concept, and everything in the storyline related to having one come along for the ride is terrible.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 19, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TIP posted:

the funniest thing about making picard a robot was that they were basically walking it back and saying it didn't matter in the same episode where it happened

he's no stronger, has no new abilities, and will still age and die like a regular human

he's not even an android in the sense that data was, he's a "flesh and blood" android, something they never really dug into in the first season because it didn't really make any sense (you can't even detect they aren't human but somehow they can tear through steel flooring and also explode?)

It was the most pointless twist in television history. It did absolutely nothing and the only way it could ever make sense is in two or three seasons, if the show is still going for some reason, they do a sudden callback to it and now Picard has android powers, or a twin, or something even dumber.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Reply by some idiot that only read the first page of the thread.

1. The swearing is weird and out of place. There’s no swearing in Star Trek.
2. Typical large cast problem where there is a massive shoot out or dangerous situation that kills lots of the enemy or NPCs but the main cast is always fine.
3. Usual “solve huge ongoing problem with techno babble that they think up in seconds to solve long term problem that apparently no one else in the universe ever thought of” issues.
4. Picard is old and fragile and it’s embarrassingly obvious when they are using stunt doubles for such risky activity as going up stairs.
5. You can completely ignore the entire first season and have no problems watching the second.
6. Don’t get my started on the galaxy wide complete extermination that will happen the moment one member of a rapidly expanding, all but immortal, hated by everyone, race decides they don’t like their friends and family dying.

Have a nice day.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Captain Hygiene posted:

Apparently Picard is the show that's finally breaking my longtime willingness to go in on any Trek show, even knowing I may not like it, based on my overall love for the franchise. :sigh:

It did break my willingness to indulge in new Trek. Although, to be fair, between the Abrams movies and Discovery being Yet Another Prequel so we can rope in the Iconic (i.e. most easily marketable) TOS characters, my patience had already worn thin.

My friends have been asking me if I'm going to watch this season, and it's a hard no. If I hear really good things, there's a slim chance I might kick them $10 or just :filez: when the season is over, but I'm not going to stay subscribed for the full run like I did for season 1.

It does seem like de Lancie is doing a fairly good job, though? His inclusion wasn't necessarily an indicator of quality for me, as it was obvious pretty quickly that Q wasn't going to work in the context of DS9, and the Voyager Q episodes were some of the worst, most disappointing poo poo that they ever shat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

istewart posted:

It does seem like de Lancie is doing a fairly good job, though?

He's been onscreen for like a minute, which is disappointing because him constantly pestering Picard was where he worked best as a character. And it's even worse, because old bearded John de Lancie looks rad as hell and is a really good actor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
de Lancie's acting ability is in direct inverse proportion to how good of a human being he is haha

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
…did I miss something about De Lancie being a terrible person?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

precision posted:

de Lancie's acting ability is in direct inverse proportion to how good of a human being he is haha

Don't expand on this, I don't want to know more

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HD DAD posted:

…did I miss something about De Lancie being a terrible person?

all i know is jenny nicholson specifically calls him out for being a complete rear end in a top hat, and i doubt she's lying haha

edit: he grifted bronies, which is probably morally neutral

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lots of people are assholes though

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i totally saw a disheveled looking de lancie in my local menchies pre-covid. others claim it was just some old dude but i know it was him

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TIP posted:

This post reminded me of Into Darkness. In that, didn't they seem to say or imply at the end of the movie, "Well, Kirk, you have Khan's superblood now, so that's going to make you have some genetic superman powers or something."

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
*evil magistrate teleports on board with two NPCs and hold our hero's at gunpoint*

How will our hero's escape this terrible circumstance? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Picaaaard iiin Spaaaaace!

Me: This is awful writing and will be solved in the first 3 minutes of the next episode.

Episode 2, 2 minutes and 30 seconds in:
*bad guys ded*

Me: :rolleyes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

infernal machines posted:

It was the most pointless twist in television history. It did absolutely nothing and the only way it could ever make sense is in two or three seasons, if the show is still going for some reason, they do a sudden callback to it and now Picard has android powers, or a twin, or something even dumber.

Season 3 is the last season and was filming concurrently with this one, because the star of the show is old as gently caress. That should tell you where it's going, ultimately.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Season 3 is the last season and was filming concurrently with this one, because the star of the show is old as gently caress. That should tell you where it's going, ultimately.

Huh, I hadn't heard about the filming aspect but that makes sense. Patrick Stewart feels like his agelessness pact ran out a while back and he's been catching up in accelerated mode ever since, better wrap things up sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm legit curious as to why people like watching Patrick Stewart being so old he can barely remember his lines. it's so sad. even if the show were well written, i wouldn't want to watch this :(