Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Walgreens was well aware that regular machines were being used to test the blood rather than the Theranos miracle boxes, it was being done in their own loving stores. They only suspended the deal once the Ioannidis piece came out.

The latest episode of The Dropout covers Walgreens making the original deal. They were all so dumb. And they sang a terrible embarrassing song to Elizabeth Holmes.

A+ would recommend that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
more like Thanatos imo

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

hawowanlawow posted:

Walgreens is funny because the middle aged ladies behind the counter never know what Swishers are or where to look for them and give me advice that smoking them is bad for me

I'm sure they're absolutely wonderful for your health.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Basticle posted:

Walgreens isnt circling the drain but I feel the need to post this

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/12/business/walgreens-freezer-screens/index.html

jfc

quote:

To Avakian, it's simply an expected growing pain. Cooler Screens plans to educate customers about the digital displays and launch features like voice recognition, so shoppers can ask about prices or item locations.
"This is the future of retail and shopping," Avakian said.

cool cool cool love to argue with a freezer in public definitely not insane

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
customer: Why do your fridges and freezers all look like a sad flat gray lovely void?

Walgreens employee: Oh, let me turn on your monitor.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

How long before those screens go out and corporate push their repair off on to the stores, who already being on razor-thin budgets never gets them fixed.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zil posted:

How long before those screens go out and corporate push their repair off on to the stores, who already being on razor-thin budgets never gets them fixed.

However long it takes for the first group of bored juvenile delinquents to wander in to steal something.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Zil posted:

optimistically i'll give it a year
pessimistically i'll say it's already happening

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sekhmnet posted:

However long it takes for the first group of bored juvenile delinquents to wander in to steal something.

local pharmacies are unspoken hotbeds of petty crime and vandalism so this is going to happen immediately

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

more like Thanatos imo

No joke, one scientist, Dr. John Ioannidis, decided to start investigating the company simply because he drove by the HQ and wondered why the hell someone would combine 'tyrannos' and 'thanatos' to name their healthcare company.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/theranos-whistleblowers-filed-complaints-fear-patients-health-started/story?id=61030212

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zil posted:

I'm just waiting for somebody to hack them and throw :goatsecx: up on them or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AceOfFlames posted:

No joke, one scientist, Dr. John Ioannidis, decided to start investigating the company simply because he drove by the HQ and wondered why the hell someone would combine 'tyrannos' and 'thanatos' to name their healthcare company.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/theranos-whistleblowers-filed-complaints-fear-patients-health-started/story?id=61030212
When I first heard the name I thought they were saying Thanatos as well. It was definitely concerning.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Khizan posted:

I'm just waiting for somebody to hack them and throw :goatsecx: up on them or something.

That would be impressive. Could we animate it somehow?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Zil posted:

Recursion goatse.

Or just go with another old classic, meatspin.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I can't wait until all flat transparent glass surfaces are replaced with advertising screens. Dead pixels will be the new broken windows.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Meaty Ore posted:

I can't wait until all flat transparent glass surfaces are replaced with advertising screens. Dead pixels will be the new broken windows.

Should be fun while you’re driving.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

AceOfFlames posted:

loving amazing. thank you for linking this.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Zero One posted:

The latest episode of The Dropout covers Walgreens making the original deal. They were all so dumb. And they sang a terrible embarrassing song to Elizabeth Holmes.

A+ would recommend that series.

Me too.
I wasn't sure for the first one or two episodes, but it is definitely worth sticking with

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

The skyline was the color of a TV tuned to a dead channel.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GWBBQ posted:

The skyline was the color of a TV tuned to a dead channel.

:hmmyes:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

airbnb just sent me a survey that was two questions, essentially "you don't actually read privacy policies, right, right?" and "haha just theoretically if we had a massive data privacy breach you'd still use our services haha jk jk jk but seriously y/n?"

so i'm thinking it might be worth watching them for a bit

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Rockman Reserve posted:

airbnb just sent me a survey that was two questions, essentially "you don't actually read privacy policies, right, right?" and "haha just theoretically if we had a massive data privacy breach you'd still use our services haha jk jk jk but seriously y/n?"

Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rockman Reserve posted:

We've seen that breaches mean roughly zero over the long term to business, so I don't know why they would even bother. I would suspect it's more a regulatory thing they're concerned about, as in "would you go looking for this and tell a regulatory body"

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Elviscat posted:

This gets lumped in with those horrible gas pumps that play ads at you as a guillotine offense.

Those screens have a row buttons down each side. In my experience, the second from the top on the right hand side is the mute button.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Volmarias posted:

We've seen that breaches mean roughly zero over the long term to business, so I don't know why they would even bother. I would suspect it's more a regulatory thing they're concerned about, as in "would you go looking for this and tell a regulatory body"

I mean someone cloned the card I used to pay for a cabin through AirBnB and stole a bunch of money from my account a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they had a serious security breach and are trying to test the waters couching it as a privacy issue.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Zil posted:

Can probably get an AI to make it sing.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I remember when I was in day-care they tore down the Walgreens and built a brand new Osco right in the parking lot. Then the Walgreens re-opened across the street. Then that went out of business and now it's a salvation army thrift store.

Now the Walgreens is back in it's original spot within the Osco building.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hey AMC, how's it going?

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1503714961482256386?s=21

Yeah...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I was using Dollar Shave Club for about a year or so until corona hit and the blades they sent me would take forever to get to me. It was around that time I noticed Walmart pretty much had the same razor, Walmart branded, for cheaper and I didn't have to wait weeks for my razor refills to show up. DSC's customer service and cancellation process also sucked from what I remember, which I think is the standard for most these services.

I know this is from a while back, but

Dollar Shave Club started life as a company that sold Dorco razors at something like double the cost of just buying them off Amazon. DSC was never a good deal and, as you experienced, canceling subscriptions sucks.

Apparently Unilever has made the in-store and online purchased DSC razors incompatible with each other.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Before that, there was DorcoUSA.com which had deals that were even better than those on Amazon.
I use to laugh listening to ads for DSC acting like they were anything other than expensive rebrandings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

Apparently Unilever has made the in-store and online purchased DSC razors incompatible with each other.

Outstanding move.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Platystemon posted:

Outstanding move.

Well yeah, it makes more money and that's all that matters.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Conventions circling the drain:

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1509606495838691330

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Check the date.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s March 31st.

April 1st is tomorrow.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Considering it is already half canceled, cancelling the other half doesn’t seem like a prank to me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm seeing this being reported by multiple gaming press outlets so I guess it isn't a prank. My mistake.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Wasn't last year basically a dud and they hosed up heavily when almost every press member had their personal information leaked on an unsecure webpage?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Wasn't last year basically a dud and they hosed up heavily when almost every press member had their personal information leaked on an unsecure webpage?
They sure did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

E3 is an outdated event anyway and has been for a long time, so. Good riddance.