Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clipperton posted:

No worries - although now I'm wondering if any movie's had a pedo trifecta

You'd have to look real hard at the Jeeper Creepers franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

We wouldn't want the flash to show up too soon though

I see what you did here, and I appreciate it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope whoever has that weird hateboner for Snyder over at WB gets their poo poo pushed in by reality.

I do wonder if they were convinced that The Batman would massively outsell any Snyder movies for some reason and its failure to make literally all the money in the world is making the suits rethink things.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That'd be amusing, considering a Batman movie failing to make all the money in the world is why they showed Snyder the door in the first place

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

2house2fly posted:

That'd be amusing, considering a Batman movie failing to make all the money in the world is why they showed Snyder the door in the first place

I still insist that BvS was only a "flop" due to a series of moving goalposts and nobody serious actually expected it to break a billion before it came out.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

I still insist that BvS was only a "flop" due to a series of moving goalposts and nobody serious actually expected it to break a billion before it came out.

Also because they mutilated it by cutting it down by a fifth of its runtime to fit in more screenings. If they'd sent the ultimate edition to the theaters it would have probably been way more successful

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
MoS good

BvS good

ZSJL good

Let Zack finish his comic hero opera series

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Man I bet ZS is smug as gently caress about all this.

I can't imagine how satisfying being vindicated like this is. Guy who butchered the remake disgraced and cast out as a disgusting sex pest while the movie you wanted to make dominates their entire streaming platform for a loving year.

THIS, THIS is why the C-suite suits get paid the big bucks, for making the calls like this!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if they were convinced that The Batman would massively outsell any Snyder movies for some reason and its failure to make literally all the money in the world is making the suits rethink things.

I think it’s less that and more that once again a new group of people are looking over things and going “the gently caress is wrong with you people”. ZSJL exists because AT&T’s people came in and looked over things, looked at the numbers, saw that both Wonder Woman and Aquaman were mega-successful off the back of BvS while continuing to carry over the Gods Among Us tone and presentation, and said “so you torpedoed this entire thing because people on Twitter yelled at you?”

And now AT&T is selling the whole WarnerMedia company to Discovery Inc., and they’re coming in to look over stuff and going “in a year where every big movie you put out was on your streaming service, none of them came anywhere close to being as big as the Snyder Justice League, and you’re definitively killing off that line of movies with this Flash movie? Do you hate money?”

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

pospysyl posted:

The main reason I get bummed out about BvS is that the end of that movie proves Luthor right. Superman is all good, but he isn't all powerful: he has to die. It's a dramatization of Jesus in Jerusalem. He's welcomed as a hero, but the crowd turns against him and sentences him to death unjustly. Justice League, then, fulfills the Good Friday promise, bringing Superman back. What distinguishes this from a rote retelling of the biblical resurrection is that restoring Superman is an act of collective will, not divine (in fact, it's anti-divine). It goes to your argument: no individual can be all good and all powerful, but maybe together we could be. The follow-ups to Justice League probably would have challenged this conclusion, but I imagine they would have had a happy ending.

The dilemma Luthor foregrounds in citing ‘The Problem of Evil’ gets to the preeminent crisis of the superhero genre. When one dons a mask/cape, the premise is that they leave behind their mere individuality that is constrained to society’s laws/social mores, in order to embody ‘Justice’ or whatever — in other words, a claim to universality (Which is why even when their ‘real’ identity is known, the show must go on).

As a man, I’m flesh and blood. I can be ignored. I can be destroyed. But as a symbol — as a symbol, I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting.
- Batman, Batman Begins

Of course, this premise only works on an abstract level, as concrete action generates the content that fills the empty form and reveals the limits of their proposed universality; i.e. their ‘tribe’ or their political dimension as such. This is what Lex is referring to when he calls Superman a fraud, a “False God’, because Superman’s relationship to and desire to help humanity will invariably radicalize him — this is demonstrated in the ‘Day of the Dead’ scene where Superman rescues a worker from a burning building, and is troubled when reached out to by the people of Juarez, a city ravaged by decades of ruthless global exploitation.

Snyder’s project includes making explicit criticisms of what is usually brushed over in the Batman fantasy: this includes Batman’s targeted violence of the poor, that it’s hosed up that he basically works with the cops, and despite meaning extremely well, and the self-awareness to acknowledge that his extreme efforts over multiple decades hasn’t resulted in change.

There was a time above, a time before. There were perfect things, diamond absolutes. But things fall… things on earth. And what falls, is fallen. In the dream, it took me to the light. A beautiful lie.
- Batman, BvS

Although Superheroes ostensibly stand for big ideas like truth and justice, the stories’ worlds are often divorced of any sense of history, as they practically only exist to lionize the protagonists’ private experiences and psychological struggles. Thus fans are bewildered when Snyder makes the basic critique that ‘meaning well’ does not qualify as ethical, such that they draw a direct causal line between catastrophic events and Superman’s insufficient care levels.

McSpanky posted:

Snyder made the, pardon the pun, critical 'mistake' of engaging with the character of Superman critically as an entity within the world, affected and affecting it by his existence and his choices, instead of as a mere delivery vehicle for feel-good audience thrills and reassurance. Snyder's Superman is no different than any other vision, inherently good and burdened not with the question of whether to help people, but how best to help people -- the key difference being that he actually has to deal with the consequences of that awesome responsibility instead of getting a free-pass smile and handwave at the camera as the music swells and everyone is assured that everything will be alright.

This division is rendered explicit in the prequel to the Superman trilogy: Wonder Woman 1 (Story credit by Snyder). The statement, “Superheroes are the modern incarnation of Greek mythology”, is frequently made to lend a sense of gravitas to what is perceived as a genre for (man)children, but here it’s taken a bit more seriously.

Abstract concepts such as good/evil/love/etc. actualize as supernatural beings, and dictate the fates of mere mortals; Wonder Woman 1 utilizes that as the ‘history’ Diana is taught. Believing that Ares is the architect of the Great War, her confrontation with him brings her face to face with the truth of her divine lineage, including its relative powerlessness in the world — all at the cost of eternal banishment from Paradise. In parallel, the film’s setting evokes the Enlightenment’s utopian dream of human reason’s inevitable mastery of the universe shattered by the world-historical senseless violence of World War I.

All that is to say — it's fruitful to examine Luthor’s precise position as the enunciator of that quote, which is one drawing from the historical trauma of East Germany and life as a U.S. super capitalist. The collapse of the GDR signaled capitalism’s total victory such that all other possibilities are buried in the past where they belong. Superman, whose internationalism draws suspicion from the ruling class and their media apparatuses, evokes deep cynicism from Luthor. He muses throughout the film about the power/knowledge dynamic in a nigh Foucauldian sense, and as such expresses disdain towards an alien figure external to the power-knowledge network having the ability to alter it.

In ZSJL, Snyder draws up a mythical past where international solidarity combats brutal imperialism. In the present day, It’s the outsiders/outcasts who have the perspective to recognize the need for the rebuilding of that broken pact.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

KVeezy3 posted:

The dilemma Luthor foregrounds in citing ‘The Problem of Evil’ gets to the preeminent crisis of the superhero genre. When one dons a mask/cape, the premise is that they leave behind their mere individuality that is constrained to society’s laws/social mores, in order to embody ‘Justice’ or whatever — in other words, a claim to universality (Which is why even when their ‘real’ identity is known, the show must go on).

As a man, I’m flesh and blood. I can be ignored. I can be destroyed. But as a symbol — as a symbol, I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting.
- Batman, Batman Begins

Of course, this premise only works on an abstract level, as concrete action generates the content that fills the empty form and reveals the limits of their proposed universality; i.e. their ‘tribe’ or their political dimension as such. This is what Lex is referring to when he calls Superman a fraud, a “False God’, because Superman’s relationship to and desire to help humanity will invariably radicalize him — this is demonstrated in the ‘Day of the Dead’ scene where Superman rescues a worker from a burning building, and is troubled when reached out to by the people of Juarez, a city ravaged by decades of ruthless global exploitation.

Snyder’s project includes making explicit criticisms of what is usually brushed over in the Batman fantasy: this includes Batman’s targeted violence of the poor, that it’s hosed up that he basically works with the cops, and despite meaning extremely well, and the self-awareness to acknowledge that his extreme efforts over multiple decades hasn’t resulted in change.

There was a time above, a time before. There were perfect things, diamond absolutes. But things fall… things on earth. And what falls, is fallen. In the dream, it took me to the light. A beautiful lie.
- Batman, BvS

Although Superheroes ostensibly stand for big ideas like truth and justice, the stories’ worlds are often divorced of any sense of history, as they practically only exist to lionize the protagonists’ private experiences and psychological struggles. Thus fans are bewildered when Snyder makes the basic critique that ‘meaning well’ does not qualify as ethical, such that they draw a direct causal line between catastrophic events and Superman’s insufficient care levels.

This division is rendered explicit in the prequel to the Superman trilogy: Wonder Woman 1 (Story credit by Snyder). The statement, “Superheroes are the modern incarnation of Greek mythology”, is frequently made to lend a sense of gravitas to what is perceived as a genre for (man)children, but here it’s taken a bit more seriously.

Abstract concepts such as good/evil/love/etc. actualize as supernatural beings, and dictate the fates of mere mortals; Wonder Woman 1 utilizes that as the ‘history’ Diana is taught. Believing that Ares is the architect of the Great War, her confrontation with him brings her face to face with the truth of her divine lineage, including its relative powerlessness in the world — all at the cost of eternal banishment from Paradise. In parallel, the film’s setting evokes the Enlightenment’s utopian dream of human reason’s inevitable mastery of the universe shattered by the world-historical senseless violence of World War I.

All that is to say — it's fruitful to examine Luthor’s precise position as the enunciator of that quote, which is one drawing from the historical trauma of East Germany and life as a U.S. super capitalist. The collapse of the GDR signaled capitalism’s total victory such that all other possibilities are buried in the past where they belong. Superman, whose internationalism draws suspicion from the ruling class and their media apparatuses, evokes deep cynicism from Luthor. He muses throughout the film about the power/knowledge dynamic in a nigh Foucauldian sense, and as such expresses disdain towards an alien figure external to the power-knowledge network having the ability to alter it.

In ZSJL, Snyder draws up a mythical past where international solidarity combats brutal imperialism. In the present day, It’s the outsiders/outcasts who have the perspective to recognize the need for the rebuilding of that broken pact.

Thank you for this. It's a really thoughtful breakdown of what is going on in Snyder's interpretation, and what a lot of other superhero writers/directors ignore. One of the reasons I always enjoyed the DCAU's take on Batman (the Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, Keven Conroy version) is that it made sure to have Bruce Wayne atone for the sins of Batman. He actually uses his wealth to remedy the problems he uncovers as Batman, or the people he hurts during his war on crime. I always think on The New Batman/Superman Adventures' "Old Wounds" episode where Nightwing explains to Robin why he quit. One of the scenes has Grayson leave the scene because Batman is beating on a thug in front of his family. At the end of the episode, Nightwing and Robin run into that same man and he explains how Bruce Wayne gave him a job at Wayne Enterprises in order to leave crime and support his family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJja0qjQIV8&t=87s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYazCOaGDx4&t=198s

That's the part of Bruce Wayne/Batman that I enjoy the most, why I liked how Snyder used BvS to get the version of Batman we normally have a reckoning with what he had allowed himself to become, and why I really like Matt Reeves' new take on the character.

Not gonna lie, I am a Batman homer, though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know it's Reddit, but the number of posts and polls there claiming The Batman would easily break $1 billion and maybe even $2 billion at the box office was ridiculous.

Pirate Jet posted:

A common argument I still hear from people is that a movie with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in it should have "easily" been the highest grossing movie of all time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Apollo posted:

A common argument I still hear from people is that a movie with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in it should have "easily" been the highest grossing movie of all time.

The same logic that leads people to believe this should also lead them to believe that a movie with Mickey Mouse, Coca Cola, and McDonalds would make 10 billion because those are the most recognizable brands in the world.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's why Mac and Me failed, it only has McDonald's and Coke, they failed to get Mickey

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I know it's inexcusable that it took me until TYOOL 2022 to see Sucker Punch, but I finally did. It's good. Zack Snyder is good. gently caress all the haters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Cameo posted:

I think it’s less that and more that once again a new group of people are looking over things and going “the gently caress is wrong with you people”. ZSJL exists because AT&T’s people came in and looked over things, looked at the numbers, saw that both Wonder Woman and Aquaman were mega-successful off the back of BvS while continuing to carry over the Gods Among Us tone and presentation, and said “so you torpedoed this entire thing because people on Twitter yelled at you?”

And now AT&T is selling the whole WarnerMedia company to Discovery Inc., and they’re coming in to look over stuff and going “in a year where every big movie you put out was on your streaming service, none of them came anywhere close to being as big as the Snyder Justice League, and you’re definitively killing off that line of movies with this Flash movie? Do you hate money?”

The Flash movie is going to be an utter mess, and I think it'll be really fun to post-mortem with the almost certainly obvious seams and figuring out what the original 'the Snyderverse is DEAD and no one likes it, stop asking for it!!!' plot was going to be before the enforced change.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres a Snyder-cut book I haven't read yet, but everything about the Flash movie makes me wish we had a book about that instead because its production sounds chaotic.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

KVeezy3 posted:

- Batman, BvS

All this talk got me to start watching the ultimate BvS edition. I had only watched theatrical version before.
First, the opening few minutes are so good! I had forgotten about all of the intro to Bruce and Batman.

One thing that stood out in the early parts of the movie how poor Gotham is. Everyone refers to it as being full of crime ("get out before dark", "dont let them take your lunch money). But Batman has been cape crusading here for years now, and while there may be no more super criminals like the Joker, everyone is afraid to be out alone. All of the shots of Gotham show like low income areas like projects. Metropolis contrasts this with all its wealth, even after being destroyed 18 month earlier. Lois's apartment is directly compared to some of the Gotham homes. All of this is to say that Batman has not really been effective in solving crime in Gotham. Bruce Wayne has billions, yet the city he tries to protect as Batman exist largely in poverty. And Alfred tries to point this out. There is a point where Bruce says he needs the suit, but Alfred replies that it was Bruce Wayne the billionaire that got into Lex's house and other information (although all part of Lex's grand plan). He clearly thinks Bruce should try to solve more of Gotham issues as well Bruce. But Bruce always looks to the Batman suit.

Post ZSJL, I could see the born again Bruce now trying to solve Gotham's inequality problems. We always see him acting as Bruce Wayne in order to put the team together initially. And it is Bruce Wayne who uses his fortune to buy a bank to get Clark his childhood home back. So perhaps he will use his fortune in more charitable ways in Gotham like in Nolan's Dark Knight Rises where he tries to create free energy for all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That reminds me, one gag I liked in Justice League is that Aquaman knows Gotham well enough to call it a "shithole" but doesn't seem to have ever heard of Batman and has to have the concept explained to him

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Lots of reasons to hate Jared Leto but always lol'd at people making fun of his vest covered in cop badges as "edgy" when the joker is like THE edgelord of DC comics. (and tbh the vest owned lol)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The whole speech he gets just drags

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghosthotel posted:

Lots of reasons to hate Jared Leto but always lol'd at people making fun of his vest covered in cop badges as "edgy" when the joker is like THE edgelord of DC comics. (and tbh the vest owned lol)

“No more dead cops!”

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghosthotel posted:

That's something that seems to have originated in the trailer for DC Universe Online:

I wouldn't be surprised if that trailer inspired a lot of Snyder's Knightmare stuff, since there were a few shots from it that were actually used as placeholder shots in BvS.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I haven't seen that trailer in a long time but yeah holy poo poo the inspiration definitely feels like it's there.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's a really good trailer for a game with a really good story pitch. Full disclosure, I am a sucker who played and subbed to it for many years.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I know it's inexcusable that it took me until TYOOL 2022 to see Sucker Punch, but I finally did. It's good. Zack Snyder is good. gently caress all the haters.
It's one of his best, so prescient still.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

It's one of his best, so prescient still.

Insane to me that they cut Jon Hamm’s scene from the theatrical cut, it’s the single moment the whole movie clicked for me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I saw it on Netflix, so I'm guessing I got the theatrical cut instead of the extended. While I was looking it up, I stumbled on this:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2569942/another-zack-snyder-cut-sucker-punch-star-reveals-why-it-needs-to-happen

Jamie Chung posted:

[The theatrical cut] is PG-13, but it feels like such an R-rated movie. And I think that’s one of the reasons why they altered the story. It’s been so long, but there would’ve been a lot more detail. Each scene would’ve been extended by 10 minutes. We shot the hell out of that movie, and it was so fun. My character was the pilot, but I do know that the fighting sequences were much longer. Gosh, it felt like we trained so long for them. That whole experience in itself was six months, so there’s got to be more out there.

I really want to see a 3 hour version of this. I know most people don't like movies that are bigger than 2 hours, but come on. Let the storytellers have the time to tell their story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's a really good trailer for a game with a really good story pitch. Full disclosure, I am a sucker who played and subbed to it for many years.
It's too bad that it's fallen aside so badly. I feel like a WOW/FF style "here's a streamlined version of the first 3 expansion and story" would be fun.

It also seems like DC/WB bigwigs were really, really scared that the MMORPG would crash and burn and take a bunch of goodwill along with it, or be constrained by/leak plot points. When it first released the Sinestro Corps war was big in comics and the reaction to any tie-ins was basically "nope".

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

It's too bad that it's fallen aside so badly. I feel like a WOW/FF style "here's a streamlined version of the first 3 expansion and story" would be fun.

It also seems like DC/WB bigwigs were really, really scared that the MMORPG would crash and burn and take a bunch of goodwill along with it, or be constrained by/leak plot points. When it first released the Sinestro Corps war was big in comics and the reaction to any tie-ins was basically "nope".

Yeah. I stopped playing once I realized that I was not only subscribing but succumbing to buying their stupid keys for prometheum box unlocks to get skill points. Tying costume collections to progressions really pissed me off and finding out that Daybreak might have been involved with a Russian oligarch under sanctions finally got me to quit. It's a shame, though. It's one of my favorite MMOs from a PVE and PVP perspective. You could own people several levels above you if you understood the combat mechanics, and it would rule when some villain would try to get the drop on me making a new hero and suddenly realize that they bit off way more than they could chew.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Has there been any reputable source posted that the reshoots are directly related to Snyderverse stuff?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Completed my rewatch of BvS with ultimate edition.
Solid film and probably the most interesting super hero film for me. I forgot how much philosophical discussion there was in it, and often with real life pundits/celebs. Superman’s first appearance is him basically become the drone strike, the new American way. Govt officials question his action without democratic consensus, while of course conducting their own secretive projects with lex. It connects very well with watchmen, though Superman ultimately chooses his humanity here.

Lex’s plot feels appropriately convoluted for the genre and implements the mind games you want from a genius villain. But the use of disinformation against Batman and the public via his fake news feels prescient.

There is a big tone shift between Man of Steel and BvS. Steel ended with triumphant optimism, though it has its dramatic scenes of course too. But those same scene we cheered for in Steel, like the bomber ramming the krypton ship to create the black hole, are now shown from the outside with the explosion causing more panic. Superman got to make some fun jokes in steel. But in BvS he is struggling to understand his role in this world until the end.

Batman’s arc is solid, from rage to seeing that he was becoming exactly like his family’s killer, to finding new hope and promising that men can rebuild.

Thinking on the Excalibur connections, it almost feels like Batman is more of Arthur in this film with Alfred as his Merlin and Superman as Lancelot. Much like in the film, Batman cannot beat Superman in combat alone, but instead uses the power of the Sword, the kryptonite spear. He “kills” him, before the lady of the lake Lois brings Superman back. she will lady retrieve the spear/sword from the water. Of course Superman takes the Arthur role by the end when he sacrifices himself in the same method. And in a similar fashion, the world/land will suffer without him on ZSJL.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
https://twitter.com/moviedetail/status/1381092928987262978?lang=en

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

This owns so loving hard

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Never forget what they took from you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Updated the thread OP to not be this weird salt post anymore

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roth posted:

Where's the fun in that?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roth posted:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Roth posted:

Please add Army of Thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I put a producer section