Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

PBCrunch posted:

The story of Raspberry Pi.

SD card as a default boot media is absolutely awful.

No argument from me on the spoiler. Tried with a flash drive and the speed was abhorrent, like running a DOS machine from floppies. Used an external SSD for a bit, but it was so power-hungry I basically couldn’t use any other peripherals besides a Logitech mouse/keyboard. SD cards are hinky and weird, but they’re the lowest hassle option for the platform. Still not a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I am a big fan of PXE booting them. If you have a NAS that does NFS it is pretty slick. Needs a cabled connection though, but if you can, I highly recommend it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My pi projects are typically "remote computing off the grid" type solutions so it's a lot of battery power and worrying what I do if the pi shreds it's SD card because the battery died and it had an unclean shutdown.

I've been lucky so far, but someday it's gonna bite me and I need to come up with a way to reimage a card (along with my code) in the middle of nowhere. Or carry a backup SD card.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

My pi projects are typically "remote computing off the grid" type solutions so it's a lot of battery power and worrying what I do if the pi shreds it's SD card because the battery died and it had an unclean shutdown.

I've been lucky so far, but someday it's gonna bite me and I need to come up with a way to reimage a card (along with my code) in the middle of nowhere. Or carry a backup SD card.

This is my hobby, although it's just at home. But doing things low-power turns up the difficulty setting until it's a game I want to play.

I'm personally really looking forward to a production release of Flatcar for the RPi: the bulk of the OS is on a read-only mount that power outages won't disturb. Then it should be pretty easy to back up the read/write parts, because they're isolated, without chewing up a ton of backup space. In my situation, everything is deployed as a docker swarm, so I'd just redeploy it if I ever had to rebuild the r/w partition.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I am a big fan of PXE booting them. If you have a NAS that does NFS it is pretty slick. Needs a cabled connection though, but if you can, I highly recommend it.

I am going to try to figure this out, I think probably using the netboot.xyz container on my unraid machine. Maybe something to do if I'm bored on the weekend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I run flatcar on my NUC, having it on the pi will be pretty epic.

Everything in containers! :buddy:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xzzy posted:

Probably the main reason Pis still use SD cards is they're very cheap and easily replaceable, so... yeah?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have somehow accumulated multiple 64gb microSD cards I'm doing nothing with and I don't know where half of them came from.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

priznat posted:

I am going to try to figure this out, I think probably using the netboot.xyz container on my unraid machine. Maybe something to do if I'm bored on the weekend.

Good timing in your part, this popped up today: https://youtu.be/PUfWcTXH__E

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Awesome! Thanks for posting that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

Probably the main reason Pis still use SD cards is they're very cheap and easily replaceable, so... yeah?
I have legitimately considered deploying Pi appliances with a spare SD card taped to the unit so when it eventually fails I can just direct any random idiot to find the card and swap it out, then just mail out another one.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Good timing in your part, this popped up today: https://youtu.be/PUfWcTXH__E

This is perfect. I'm going to be putting together a project and was trying to figure out how to prevent any kind of issues with SD cards.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sd cards in pi are a non issue if you use good quality cards and not SanDisk ones off amazon

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Skarsnik posted:

Sd cards in pi are a non issue if you use good quality cards and not SanDisk ones off amazon
Pretty sure my SD cards are good and any time a Pi has lost power it's been like a 75% chance that the card gets corrupted

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

So what good quality cards would you recommend?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Skarsnik posted:

Corruption from power loss is an inherent problem with flash memory. An incomplete write or erase can corrupt the data or actually damage the flash cells making them permanently unreliable (possibly in ways that the controller can't detect). SSDs include a bunch of capacitors to avoid this. SD cards don't have any space for them.

Normal "good quality" cards are no help. If you go buy a SLC SD card it may help -- SLC is more resilient to damage and completes operations faster. But lammo at those prices.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wibla posted:

SanDisk is a good brand, but Amazon is unwilling to ensure you don't get a counterfeit. I don't know of a good solution for getting around that, except maybe buying in a local store.

I will say the build quality on their full size cards have gone down. I've got some that were shedding plastic bits after a couple years of use in cameras. But my super old 16gb full size cards still look new.

Data wise though, I've never had corruption from them.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
It doesn't solve the problem completely, but running log2ram should cut down your writes by a good 90 % or so (counting over time), lessening the chance of corrupted data by sudden power loss. Combine a sensible logrotate policy and it really doesn't mean much for RAM usage either.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wibla posted:

I've never gone wrong with Samsung, bought direct from their store

Multiple pi over many many years getting the power yanked pretty regularly

log2ram is a very good script to use too ^

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

You flash 2 cards and you tape the backup to the case.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You flash 2 cards and you tape the backup to the case.

This is good advice and has saved me trouble 2 times..

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
microSD cards and their associated sockets also have a tendency to gently caress up when exposed to vibration.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gallatin posted:

This is good advice and has saved me trouble 2 times..
I learned the hard way very early in my career when managing instrument-control computers.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The Pi Foundation released a new experimental bootloader that lets Raspberry Pi 4-based models boot and then download and write a bootable microSD card. Kind of like a Mac.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a cool new feature and looks easy to get going (lots of steps, but they aren't complicated) but for more power user types it's probably better to flash a pxeboot/ipxe firmware to the pi and set up a traditional dhcp based provisioning system.. it'll give you way more control over the install process.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for a handheld retropie kit? With all the new games coming out, my husband and I have been fighting over the TV, and I figured I may as well just turn my raspberry pi into a handheld emulator to stave off some of that. I have the Pi 4 and I was hoping to find something that's more horizontally shaped like a Switch or a PS Vita than vertically like a gameboy (it's easier on my hands). Most of the stuff I'm seeing either includes the Pi with the case, has like a 3" screen, or are just plans for 3D printed cases and I don't have a 3D printer.

I mean worst case scenario I can just get a freestanding screen and have a mini console, but I was really wanting something more portable.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Honestly I’d recommend just getting an Ambernic handheld or the like as it’s going to be purpose built, better quality, and likely cheaper than trying to roll your own handheld RP solution. It’s also Linux base so it’s running the same software by and large.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Saw the BliKVM video on Geerling’s video feed, and that is perfect for using as lab host controllers. Does anyone know if pikvm install supports containers? I would run that for test scripts.

Seems like the hardest part will be finding a compute module though.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a handheld retropie kit? With all the new games coming out, my husband and I have been fighting over the TV, and I figured I may as well just turn my raspberry pi into a handheld emulator to stave off some of that. I have the Pi 4 and I was hoping to find something that's more horizontally shaped like a Switch or a PS Vita than vertically like a gameboy (it's easier on my hands). Most of the stuff I'm seeing either includes the Pi with the case, has like a 3" screen, or are just plans for 3D printed cases and I don't have a 3D printer.

I mean worst case scenario I can just get a freestanding screen and have a mini console, but I was really wanting something more portable.

This is a couple months out and pricey but I think it looks awesome.

https://experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-XRS--Kit_p_59.html

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i want to do some low latency video streaming via ethernet on a pi. i also want to be able to draw text and maybe some static images on the video stream. there appears to be a lot of ways to do this, from streaming to a local web page to using gstreamer and/or VLC. anyone have any experience and or recommendations for how to do this?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I think my 4GB Pi 4 just died. Yesterday I turned it on, it obediently booted right into PiOS, and right after getting to the desktop the video suddenly went black and showed a random distribution of white blinking pixels, almost like an old low effort screensaver. I turned it off, turned it back on, and then it booted back into PiOS, but now it doesn’t appear to accept any USB input. I’ve tried my usual USB devices and a Logitech wireless keyboard/trackpad, and paved over the old OS outright, and nothing seems to make a difference. Anyone have experience with something like this?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hasturtium posted:

I think my 4GB Pi 4 just died. Yesterday I turned it on, it obediently booted right into PiOS, and right after getting to the desktop the video suddenly went black and showed a random distribution of white blinking pixels, almost like an old low effort screensaver. I turned it off, turned it back on, and then it booted back into PiOS, but now it doesn’t appear to accept any USB input. I’ve tried my usual USB devices and a Logitech wireless keyboard/trackpad, and paved over the old OS outright, and nothing seems to make a difference. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Leave it off for a few days, that sounds like a blown polyfuse.

I can't remember if the bluetooth chip has a separate fuse in Pi4.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a project that I'm working on to stick a raspberry pi into an old mac classic (not the color one) case (the motherboard was eaten by the battery long before I got it) to actually use the little CRT inside of it but apparently the pi3 can't do the proper video timings over it's DPI mode but the 4 can so I went online to get one and discover that, like everything else, there's a loving shortage and the only people buying these things are scalping them. I know that these guys tend to get left on a shelf or tucked into a drawer so I'm wondering if any of you guys here have a pi4 just lying unused that you'd be willing to let go for MSRP+shipping to Boston? (all the ones on ebay/facebook/craigslist are like $100+ and it's not worth it to me to pay that much for this project and I don't want to reward the scalpers)

I've already built a little ADB->USB device to use the old keyboard and mouse and video is basically all I have left and I really don't want to go down the route of sticking an LCD in here.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 14, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Have any goons tried to get flatcar container linux running on their Pi? If not, I may be the first in a week or so here.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

GutBomb posted:

I have a project that I'm working on to stick a raspberry pi into an old mac classic (not the color one) case (the motherboard was eaten by the battery long before I got it) to actually use the little CRT inside of it but apparently the pi3 can't do the proper video timings over it's DPI mode but the 4 can so I went online to get one and discover that, like everything else, there's a loving shortage and the only people buying these things are scalping them. I know that these guys tend to get left on a shelf or tucked into a drawer so I'm wondering if any of you guys here have a pi4 just lying unused that you'd be willing to let go for MSRP+shipping to Boston? (all the ones on ebay/facebook/craigslist are like $100+ and it's not worth it to me to pay that much for this project and I don't want to reward the scalpers)

I've already built a little ADB->USB device to use the old keyboard and mouse and video is basically all I have left and I really don't want to go down the route of sticking an LCD in here.

Do you have a source for how to interface the Rpi 4’s video to the Mac’s LCD? I have a dead Classic the I robbed for mobo parts to fix my other one and this sounds like a cool project.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JnnyThndrs posted:

Do you have a source for how to interface the Rpi 4’s video to the Mac’s LCD? I have a dead Classic the I robbed for mobo parts to fix my other one and this sounds like a cool project.

This is what I was using for the CRT stuff.

https://nerdhut.de/2020/03/17/raspberry-pi-dpi-control-crt

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

GutBomb posted:

I’ve got one in a drawer but need to fire it up and see if the self-healing fuse on the USB ports recovered after they stopped working one day. Either way, I’m not doing much with it and would throw in a nice power supply and a case I purchased for it. PM me if you can; otherwise reply here and I’ll give you an email address. We’ll take it from there.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Thanks, this looks quite interesting.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have no personal interest in doing this but have to say, it's super cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have no personal interest in doing this but have to say, it's super cool

I mean, when it's done I'm probably gonna play dark castle for 5 minutes and maybe post a tweet and then it's just gonna sit on the desk either turned off or running afterdark until I get a real classic or classic II motherboard. The journey is the fun part. Once it's done I'll lose interest.