Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

A long rpg can't possibly have any sort of arc that leads to a change in character or anything

Did you miss the part where I said the fact they 'get better' doesn't excuse the problem, because it still means you're going to start off playing that character you don't like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
you have got to be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet oh my god

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Did you miss the part where I said the fact they 'get better' doesn't excuse the problem, because it still means you're going to start off playing that character you don't like?

What about when you start off liking them but after their character arc, you hate them?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Some of the best video game characters start as characters you don't like wtf

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

moonmazed posted:

you have got to be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet oh my god

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

Some of the best video game characters start as characters you don't like wtf

No change or growth only first impressions matter

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's so many video games that any reason not to play one is valid tbh. I played a couple of hours of Horizon Zero Dawn and the writing was pretty dry and the time of day kept changing in a split second during cutscenes. No need for me to carry on with that game

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bad character, bad character never changes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Randalor posted:

What about when you start off liking them but after their character arc, you hate them?

I mean I'd call 'hate' a bit strong, but I was definitely watching Golden Wind more for every other cast member than Giorno by the end.

In all seriousness I can't think of a good example of this off the top of my head, but I'd call that disappointing, albeit a harder thing to see coming than 'all appearances say I hate this main character's entire initial pitch'.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

2house2fly posted:

There's so many video games that any reason not to play one is valid tbh. I played a couple of hours of Horizon Zero Dawn and the writing was pretty dry and the time of day kept changing in a split second during cutscenes. No need for me to carry on with that game

Pfft as if I'd even want to play as a dumb little kid, I dropped that poo poo like five minutes in

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like to see a supernatural-centerred action game where the protagonist starts off all super serious but as they gain new abilities courtesy of the friendly spirit realm denizens they start having more fun fighting the bad ones, because the abilities are really satisfying but also because the spirits themselves know how to relax, so that's kind of rubbing off on them. Like an arc that goes from Nioh to Bayonetta.

This is kind of the tomb raider reboot. If by "friendly spirits" you mean "heavy weaponry"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'm curious where you think they faltered, because the SNES game sprites looked great to me.

The NES character sprites have a funky look about them, admittedly, because they were paintovers of the NES originals which in retrospect had some odd anatomical decisions. But I don't think they looked bad so much as 'a lot of us were used to the previous 16-bit sprites which took an entirely different direction'.

First off, they mixed up different resolutions between sprites and menus, which is an incredibly sloppy lack of attention to detail. Because of this clash in scale there isn't a real unified aesthetic, which gives the whole thing a '00s spritecomic / rpg maker fangame aesthetic mishmash.

The ff6r sprites started as recolored versions of the snes ones. However, whoever did it seems to have had a poor understanding of color ramps, resulting in shading that is muddled. There are a lot of changes in value without any hue, and in combination with the low contrast between palette colors, the sprites end up getting flattened.

Worse than that, in several places where the shading was changed, there's added pillowshading. That is to say, the shading often follows the contours of the sprite's outline rather than showing volume.

There's also a lot of banding - where you have a bunch of vertical lines of pixels in a row, which again doesn't help show form.

It's not as bad as the godawful job on the phone sprites but it's still not good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like to see a supernatural-centerred action game where the protagonist starts off all super serious but as they gain new abilities courtesy of the friendly spirit realm denizens they start having more fun fighting the bad ones, because the abilities are really satisfying but also because the spirits themselves know how to relax, so that's kind of rubbing off on them. Like an arc that goes from Nioh to Bayonetta.

So you're saying you want the Devil May Cry prequel where Dante keeps getting hit by cars and bouncing back to his feet like Jackie Chan after he does a dropkick.

Cleretic posted:

'Why do people like Shrek so much? Guy's an rear end in a top hat' -Man who has only seen 6 minutes of Shrek.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikGvLUbOuU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I saw some footage of the FF6 pixel remaster and noticed that they didn't use the same boss death animation. At the end of the fight, the boss sprite didn't flash two times then turn red and slowly fade out, even though they still used the original audio of two thunderclaps and the rumbling sound that signify the boss' death. That seems like such a stupid thing to miss, and I hate that I feel like I'm nitpicking this

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A little thing that bothering me about Stranger of Paradise that's actually in the game and not just something from a trailer I decided to get mad about for some reason is that for all the shared DNA with Nioh, they didn't bring over the bestiary from those games. Reading lore about the weird monsters has been one of my favorite features in games since I first encountered it in Symphony of the Night, where the 'lore' was one sentence apiece. I'm hoping it unlocks later.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

The second phase was just more of that flurry but in worse weather. If there were mechanics, I did not give him breathing room to apply them.

I'm not sure if it's intended for that fight to be such a fast mess of trigger buttons that I could barely tell what was happening except that he died at the end. But I know that people like that fight, and I didn't see the big deal, so I just assume I did it wrong.

Sounds like you're playing it just fine

BioEnchanted posted:

With the earlier FF7 complaint about the characterisation of the Turks trying to keep them likeable despite being literal mass murderers, I feel their extra scenes in the aftermath in the remake help with that, because it's obvious that they are just as sick at having been made to do it as the protagonists are that they actually did it. Reno doesn't want to think about it, Rude can't stop talking about it, and Tseng is just rationalising his rear end off trying in vain to help assuage the guilt that they all know that they fully deserve. It feels like it's building to that moment in the original game where they gently caress off to Wutai for a vacation and just don't want to deal with anything right then

The Wutai sidequest was a great bit of characterization for them. You run into them at a restaurant, your party panics and draws their weapons, but Reno just tells you they're on vacation and they all go back to their food. Eventually it turns out Don Corneo is also in town being a creepy pervert who kidnaps one of the party members and also the Turks' newest recruit, which forces the rest of the Turks to put their vacation on hold to help you out. The party confronts Don Corneo on top of a giant stone carving, fights a big monster he's controlling, and then end up in a stalemate when Corneo reveals he's rigged his hostages to die at the push of a button. The Turks then surprise attack Corneo, neutralizing his threat and leaving him hanging on for his life. In your first encounter with Corneo, he gives the party a multiple-choice question where no matter what you pick he fucks you over. Reno turns it around on him:

They're mercenaries through and through, but they've got their own weird code of honor

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I wish Troy Baker would stop voicing characters. He's a great actor but his range is loving limited. Everyone he voices just sounds like Troy Baker with varying levels of twang.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

I wish Troy Baker would stop voicing characters. He's a great actor but his range is loving limited. Everyone he voices just sounds like Troy Baker with varying levels of twang.

I always wondered how he became one of *the* ubiquitous actors. He's good but yeah, it feels like every role is just him rolling out somewhere between 80% and 120% on the Troy Baker Accent Scale.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think he's like Rob Liefeld: puts in journeyman work, pleasant to work with, all that jazz.

I like him in Death Stranding, because he's more of an actor than usual.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

The little thing dragging games down: My posting enemies.

Cleretic isn't my posting enemy, they're my posting rival, like Ken and Ryu from street fighter.

As for that Stranger in Paradise thing, I couldn't give less of a poo poo about it.

credburn posted:

The only game I didn't find this to be true was Shadow of Mordor.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Mar 15, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baker CAN do other voices, it's just that he usually doesn't, and when he does it's tough to notice so it doesn't stick out.
I still find it hilarious that he got big around when he did The Boss in Saints Row 3 which also had a Nolan North option, and now he's the Nolan North

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most actors are cast for their natural speaking voice so it doesn't surprise me when Troy Baker sounds like Troy Baker. That's probably exactly what the casting director wanted.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It sounds like it hasn't been confirmed, but the speculation is that the next parts of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake will not have the option to carry progress over from the first part. That kinda bums me out and has halted my interest in finishing the Yuffie intermission.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Caufman posted:

It sounds like it hasn't been confirmed, but the speculation is that the next parts of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake will not have the option to carry progress over from the first part. That kinda bums me out and has halted my interest in finishing the Yuffie intermission.

I imagine you might some sort of little bonus based on certaolin things, but yeah, no idea why anyone thought you'd enter the second part with like fifty levels and -ga spells on the outset.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always wondered how he became one of *the* ubiquitous actors. He's good but yeah, it feels like every role is just him rolling out somewhere between 80% and 120% on the Troy Baker Accent Scale.

Who else is going to voice "white guy with stubble and a tortured past"?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Matt Mercer?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I imagine you might some sort of little bonus based on certaolin things, but yeah, no idea why anyone thought you'd enter the second part with like fifty levels and -ga spells on the outset.

It's pretty wild that a sequel with the same characters as the last game doesn't keep your items.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Opopanax posted:

Baker CAN do other voices, it's just that he usually doesn't, and when he does it's tough to notice so it doesn't stick out.
I still find it hilarious that he got big around when he did The Boss in Saints Row 3 which also had a Nolan North option, and now he's the Nolan North

It's like the Steve Blum Problem. You can have all the range in the world, but it doesn't mean a thing if everyone who hires you tells you to do the same voice.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It's pretty wild that a sequel with the same characters as the last game doesn't keep your items.

Well, when you put it like that, it does seem silly. But in my mind, not having seen much marketing material or reading much discussion of the remake before jumping in, I was thinking that the next parts would be less like a fully dedicated new sequel and more like the second act in an unusually long game, closer in feeling to a super-duper-DLC but with feature-length content and pricing but the same gameplay, so keeping the level/xp progression made sense in my head. Like it makes sense to me that progression restarted between Mass Effect 1 and 2, since the game changed much in gameplay from 1 and 2, and for some reason I expected that to be the case. Maybe because FF7 Remake is a remake of a single game (albeit greatly expanded and with significant divergence), I subconsciously expected the Remake to ultimately be like a single long epic when it's finally done.

Morpheus posted:

Is that so strange, though? Because I started the Yuffie intermission right after completing the main game, and when I saw that Yuffie starts at level 35 on the onset (and possibly with some leveled-up materia? I don't remember that part as clearly), I thought "Oh, they might have done that so that when this shorter intermission is done, Yuffie will be closer in level with the main party when they connect in the future games."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schubalts posted:

It's like the Steve Blum Problem. You can have all the range in the world, but it doesn't mean a thing if everyone who hires you tells you to do the same voice.

Yeah, back in his heyday Nolan North gave an interview about how he would get hired for a part and try to pitch different voices but he would be told to just do it like Nathan Drake.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schubalts posted:

Also the Jennifer Hale problem. I've played games where she shows some actual range, but 90% of the time the game directors want her Mazzy voice or her Commander Shepard voice.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Philippe posted:

I think he's like Rob Liefeld: puts in journeyman work, pleasant to work with, all that jazz.

I like him in Death Stranding, because he's more of an actor than usual.

I had just finished Last of Us when I played Death Stranding and it was obnoxious because it is the exact same voice. It just sounded like Joel doing a character.

Agents are GO! posted:

The only game I didn't find this to be true was Shadow of Mordor.

Whoa, you're right. I didn't realize that was him!

Speaking of voice actors though, what's Cam Clarke been up to? It's always a joy when he shows up.

Edit: I see he is credited in Red Dead Redemption 2 as "The Local Pedestrian Population"

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Mar 15, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's the best spot for Clarke, imo. Just puts a smile on my face when I'm walking through a town and hear him yelling. It's not like he's going to top Andrei Ulmeyda anyways

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

*Looks at Metroid*

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Morpheus posted:

Just make them go up in ranks as well, so like yes you have firaga, but its only rank 1 and it maxes out at 9.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just keep adding As to the end of spell names for every subsequent FF7R entry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Remember how Pokemon legends was speculated by the internet as "full open world BotW style" like...just a couple months ago?

Why are you letting speculation for games that don't even have release dates ruin a game you can play now?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

evergreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjJM2oo3EU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

*Looks at Metroid*

'Oh boy I sure am excited to play as Leon S. Kennedy again! It's been a whole game since we saw him! This is gonna be a cakewalk, I've got a magnum, 5 grenades a shotgun, a rocket launcher any LEON WHAT HAPPENED?!'