Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

They missed put by not calling it Coordinated Universal Normalised Time

UTCN?

The joke is that the abbreviation for Coordinated Universal Time (or Temps Universel Coordonné in French) was a compromise between English and French members of the orgs that decide this sort of stuff - such that it doesn't match either of them so, like all good compromises, everyone left unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Ah, so it would've been acronymed as UTCN

edit: drat, beaten!!! Curse you, new page!!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Custom code or manually massaging data to account for the time difference is what it comes down to. Or just ignore it. That's part of the reason it happens in the middle of the night on a weekend, it mostly just doesn't make a difference.

Most of the underlying data uses UTC and does not care, it's just a display question.

All that aside, abolish the foolishness of daylight savings time. It's one of those little wins like getting rid of pennies.

I worked night shift through a few time changes and they would play hell with the internal tools we used. It was always a nightmare having to run logs around those times because either you got corrupted data or everything was duplicated.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

All that aside, abolish the foolishness of daylight savings time. It's one of those little wins like getting rid of pennies.

WE TRIED.

The European parliament got a majority in favour of getting rid of it.

Then everyone started fighting about whether any country should be permanently in their summer time or permanently in their winter time, and every country demanded that all of their direct neighbors are in the same timezone as themselves, for making international business stuff easier. But that's literally not possible if you're talking about a whole continent.

Then the parliament shelved it, saying "we will spend time further researching this". Maybe some intern somewhere is looking into it. Maybe they just permanently shelved it and are hoping people will forget.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Using Unix time? But seriously, either throw out one of the duplicate hours or just have double stats for one hour of one night? Or embrace timecube.

Not Unix, TAI. GPS time is another option; it has a fixed offset with TAI.

Unix inserts UTC leap seconds and those gently caress everything up.

Sagebrush posted:

the number of actual seconds, incidentally, not the fake number with leap seconds used everywhere else

:wrong:

Unix time prioritizes simple arithmetic over accuracy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Presenting regions by bounding them in driving routes. :hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1503540821894877188

It’s satire. I think.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

Presenting regions by bounding them in driving routes. :hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1503540821894877188

It’s satire. I think.

lol, poo poo, dude

i have no idea anymore, honestly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

WE TRIED.

The European parliament got a majority in favour of getting rid of it.

Then everyone started fighting about whether any country should be permanently in their summer time or permanently in their winter time, and every country demanded that all of their direct neighbors are in the same timezone as themselves, for making international business stuff easier. But that's literally not possible if you're talking about a whole continent.

Then the parliament shelved it, saying "we will spend time further researching this". Maybe some intern somewhere is looking into it. Maybe they just permanently shelved it and are hoping people will forget.

Obviously they are trying to find a way to stack all the euro countries vertically in the same time zone.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Just have one global timezone, what do we need a bunch of them for

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
sigh

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I much prefer the interpretation of "removing timezones" as having a single global timezone where everybody starts and ends work at the same time and finally unshackle ourselves from the tyranny of the sun

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's easy. Anybody in the same city uses solar time. If you're coordinating with anyone outside the city you use internet time. If it's absurd for a New Yorker and a Londoner to go to work at the same time, it's absurd for a North Dakota and a Floridian to go to work at the same time.

Everybody pretending like this is obtuse is ignoring the fact everyone communicating across time zones has an astrolabe in their pocket and everyone else is already using solar time. Time zones were only effective up to the point we can't calculate the local solar time for any point on earth instantly based on a universal heartbeat from the internet or GPS. Give it up time zoners, your time is limited.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I mean yes, obviously swatch internet time is the best solution.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Let's compromise and just kill daylight savings

It's bullshit and nobody wants it but it keeps shambling along for some reason. I don't even know who would lobby for it to stay, software companies that exclusively deal with programming around DST?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Yeah I read that and its dumb, the solution either way is you Google it. Also it's very funny that this uses "you have to reach out to a person unprompted" as the example and completely ignores the more common situation where you're trying to set up something at a specific time between people on a bunch of different time zones. It's way easier to get "Ok, we'll all meet at 2" rather than having to go "ok so thats 2 for me, what time is that there" and have everyone convert between their timezones

Edit:

DarkHorse posted:

It's bullshit and nobody wants it but it keeps shambling along for some reason. I don't even know who would lobby for it to stay, software companies that exclusively deal with programming around DST?

Good news
https://twitter.com/SenateCloakroom/status/1503797632745025542?s=20&t=yODAQthCq5txKKvGYn8bFg

Piell has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Mar 15, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Serperoth posted:

:australia:

Apparently, Curtin University of New Technology got further than they should have before they went with Curtin University of Technology

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Carbon dioxide posted:

UTCN?

The joke is that the abbreviation for Coordinated Universal Time (or Temps Universel Coordonné in French) was a compromise between English and French members of the orgs that decide this sort of stuff - such that it doesn't match either of them so, like all good compromises, everyone left unhappy.

Do the French measure time in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zedprime posted:

It's easy. Anybody in the same city uses solar time. If you're coordinating with anyone outside the city you use internet time. If it's absurd for a New Yorker and a Londoner to go to work at the same time, it's absurd for a North Dakota and a Floridian to go to work at the same time.

Everybody pretending like this is obtuse is ignoring the fact everyone communicating across time zones has an astrolabe in their pocket and everyone else is already using solar time. Time zones were only effective up to the point we can't calculate the local solar time for any point on earth instantly based on a universal heartbeat from the internet or GPS. Give it up time zoners, your time is limited.

this is the current system in use

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is the current system in use
Because of the longitudinal enormity of a time zone there are very untidy deviations of often an hour from solar noon.

Example today noon in Pensacola, Florida, a city in central daylight time, is 12:57 PM.

Noon in Odessa, TX, another city in central daylight time, is 1:58 PM.
(Also lol at the evil time butcher DST ruining solar noon further, one of these cities had a nearly accurate solar noon not 3 days ago.)

Using city is perhaps asking for similar errors but the "perfect" 1 hour time zone is 15 degrees longitude while cities, even including metropolitan areas, are very rarely wider than a degree of longitude which would give errors of 4 minutes in solar noon which would probably be hard to comprehend without a sundial.

So ok sure that's still time zones but at a variable width of <1 degree it's a more continually integrated time zone on the path to pure ideal solar chaos where everyone's phone is independently geopositioning and getting the right solar time at all moments.

It's all very sane and normal, if you would just read my manifesto...

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

How many people voted for this because they think DST somehow creates more daylight hours in a given day?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Merkinman posted:

How many people voted for this because they think DST somehow creates more daylight hours in a given day?

it was unanimous, so nobody? they're voting to get rid of springing forward/falling back, not the opposite

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Piell posted:

Yeah I read that and its dumb, the solution either way is you Google it. Also it's very funny that this uses "you have to reach out to a person unprompted" as the example and completely ignores the more common situation where you're trying to set up something at a specific time between people on a bunch of different time zones. It's way easier to get "Ok, we'll all meet at 2" rather than having to go "ok so thats 2 for me, what time is that there" and have everyone convert between their timezones

Edit:

Good news
https://twitter.com/SenateCloakroom/status/1503797632745025542?s=20&t=yODAQthCq5txKKvGYn8bFg

The GOVERNMENT isn't just stealing our MONEY, but also our TIME. WHERE DID THAT HOUR GO THAT WE JUST LOST, HUH???!?!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

flatluigi posted:

it was unanimous, so nobody? they're voting to get rid of springing forward/falling back, not the opposite
What? It's saying it would go to Daylight Saving Time, and never return to Standard.

I'm wondering how many people went "hmm there is more sun when it is Daylight Saving Time, therefore it should always be Daylight Saving Time! We will get more sun in the Winter!"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the problem with dst is the shifting twice a year, not the specific timeframe. i think you're making up someone to get mad at

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're going to make fun of people with really demented and weird views on time and sunlight you can at least stick to the guy posting obviously insane bullshit (me) instead of some strawman who thinks the government legislates the sun.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DarkHorse posted:

Ooh, graphs.

The superiority of the third option is readily apparent. Getting up in the morning to go to work or school sucks. The marginal suckage of it being dark outside is comparatively insignificant. In fact, waking up when it is dark and then having the sun come up is better for your circadian rhythm. By contrast, having it be dark when you get done work sucks.

Changing the clocks twice a year is dumb, but since whatever you pick is going to be arbitrary, pick the one that maximizes the daylight available to you when you have the opportunity to enjoy it and make use of it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I like it when it's dark when i start and i'm done work :shobon: i'm glad to live relatively far north

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Proposal: A simple and effective time standard to ensure all people can live with daylight hours grounded to reasonable day to day expectations.
Outcome: Humanity declares war on the sun

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Outrail posted:

Proposal: A simple and effective time standard to ensure all people can live with daylight hours grounded to reasonable day to day expectations.

To be fair the sun declared war on us first.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

We're gonna have to get rid of that fucker anyway because we sure as hell can't stop pulling carbon out of the ground

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

flatluigi posted:

the problem with dst is the shifting twice a year, not the specific timeframe. i think you're making up someone to get mad at

I assure you, lots of idiots are specifically in favour of abolishing DST, and lots of smart people are specifically in favour of permanently moving to DST.

This is in no way just an argument about whether the clocks go back/forwards, though that is also an argument.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Do the French measure time in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

They use thermidor

:thermidor:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alternate title: an infomercial actor tries to call Australia.

There’s got to be a better way!

zedprime posted:

Using city is perhaps asking for similar errors but the "perfect" 1 hour time zone is 15 degrees longitude while cities, even including metropolitan areas, are very rarely wider than a degree of longitude which would give errors of 4 minutes in solar noon which would probably be hard to comprehend without a sundial.

The eccentricity of Earth’s orbit means that solar days differ in length by up to about thirty SI seconds. The “mean” in “Greenwich Mean Time” is because all days are treated as the same length.

Anyway, these extra long and extra short days cause an accumulated deviation in solar noon by plus or minus about fifteen minutes at different times of the year. The mathematical description of the deviation is given by the dramatically named “equation of time”.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

The eccentricity of Earth’s orbit means that solar days differ in length by up to about thirty SI seconds. The “mean” in “Greenwich Mean Time” is because all days are treated as the same length.

Anyway, these extra long and extra short days cause an accumulated deviation in solar noon by plus or minus about fifteen minutes at different times of the year. The mathematical description of the deviation is given by the dramatically named “equation of time”.

having a kid rules because I know all of this bullshit

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Outrail posted:

i am all in favor of this. i hate that fucker

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So reading through this page, I think were all agreed the only reasonable option is to blow up the sun to end this debate once and for all?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

dr_rat posted:

So reading through this page, I think were all agreed the only reasonable option is to blow up the sun to end this debate once and for all?

Montgomery Burns was a visionary.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

jeebus bob posted:

Montgomery Burns was a visionary.

I refuse to hide like a worm. Kill the sun or die trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would save lives to stop loving with the clocks twice a year.

In regard to which configuration should be the permanent one, however, time is arbitrary. If the problem is that the sun sets before work ends, then either as a society we are capable of enough self-determination to schedule work on the basis of the sun instead of the clock, in which case we should do that, or we are not, in which case we are already slaves to the machine and we might as well debate what time zone should be used in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.