Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
I reactivated an old Distrokid account recently and found that I had earned the princely sum of $0.10 from songs I deleted years ago.

Given I have always paid way more for this on instruments and apps, plugins, etc. I don't think I will be retiring anytime soon.

How much have you earned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've made a total of like $60, mainly from goons who are way too nice for their own good, and some random who decided an EP was worth AU$15 (it was free). He was wrong.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've made exactly one American dollar so far.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
a couple grand, all from gigging (never bothered with the streaming apps). also spent a couple grand drinking at said shows, so music remains a $0 endeavor.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I made $1 from spotify steams last year and that is by far and away more than i expected

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
From royalties I've made a few grand mainly from pieces being played in concert. From Spotify and the like basically 0$. From commissions and the like I've been lucky enough to make a large part of my earnings there the last 2-3 years. I make a bit from some gigs too. Made a few grand also from production work just recently too, hoping to get more of that work.

That said, music is also my full-time gig!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
This year - 29.00 on bandcamp, 6.54 from streaming. All it cost me was like 10k in gear over the past two decades, thousands of hours playing, practicing, watching tutorials, recording, etc, so I think I'm doing pretty good everything considered. The fact that I've generated more than zero dollars with this hobby kind of blows my mind considering I'm just some dude in his basement pissing into an infinite ocean of more talented artists.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i’ve spent thousands on lessons / equipment and made maybe a couple hundred off gigs. so, minus a lot

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

This year - 29.00 on bandcamp, 6.54 from streaming. All it cost me was like 10k in gear over the past two decades, thousands of hours playing, practicing, watching tutorials, recording, etc, so I think I'm doing pretty good everything considered. The fact that I've generated more than zero dollars with this hobby kind of blows my mind considering I'm just some dude in his basement pissing into an infinite ocean of more talented artists.

This is the same thought I have. Like, I make dumb songs for fun and it seems hard enough to get people to listen to my poo poo, but sometimes I release something and people pay actual real money for it? What the gently caress?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

...Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahha!!!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Isn't it really how much we have all Learned from our music, and the many friends we made along the way?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

negative one million

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

-$29,000 for going to college to get a degree in music.

Probably in the ball park of -$10,000 to -$15,000 spent on musical instruments/equipment, software, etc. over the past 25 years.

I made $10 at a basement gig in college once. :thumbsup:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

$589.20 according to Bandcamp. Most of that went towards a legit copy of Reason.

Since the beginning of this year I have made negative a few thousand dollars from getting into Eurorack. :v:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I made a cool $50 total from the two albums I put out over the last year, much of which was my mom not realizing she gave me $20 for a copy of one of them instead of the $10 default I listed it for on Bandcamp.

That said, I'm in the early phases of starting a mixing/mastering service ad a side job, so maybe I can make something, anything to justify the plugins I paid for.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Well it's a fun little hobby for me, and most of my "gigs" are actually charity events and fundraisers that I put on, so...

About £200 in small, paid slots playing covers and about £500 running/setting up open mics for various pubs. Oh yeah... time to quit my day job

(I used to do the open mics for free, but I stopped doing that as I was undermining paid work for actual musicians trying to earn a living)

** - Also just realised that the question was about making money off your OWN music, in which case absolutely zilch.

epic random user
Dec 9, 2021

by sebmojo
Havn't seen dime one even tho my youtube's have ads

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ready to hate life and kids these days and all that poo poo?

My 19 yr old son started writing recording pop songs last year. LAST YEAR.

Then he got a record deal.

NOT COUNTING the advance - just looking at the money from Distrokid: $3,000.00 (so - songs he's continued to release before any official release on the record label)

Now - me? My CD that I released in 2005? I think SUM TOTAL from that day to today, thru CD Baby? $17.00.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
If we're doing gross income probably about $15k over my lifetime, maybe $25k if you count the money I made recording and producing other people. If you factor in how much I've spent on gear and software over the years, though, I've probably broken even or might be in the hole a bit. Weirdly enough the past few years have brought in the most in actual music sales, due to an appearance on Welcome to Night Vale and some songs I did for Hypnospace Outlaw. There was a significant halo effect from those that sorta boosted my sales across the board, including some very old stuff that hadn't been selling much in quite some time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

Ready to hate life and kids these days and all that poo poo?

My 19 yr old son started writing recording pop songs last year. LAST YEAR.

Then he got a record deal.

NOT COUNTING the advance - just looking at the money from Distrokid: $3,000.00 (so - songs he's continued to release before any official release on the record label)

Now - me? My CD that I released in 2005? I think SUM TOTAL from that day to today, thru CD Baby? $17.00.

Please tell me he's named Magnificent 8.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
$5 on Bandcamp this year (so like $3.75 after BC and PayPal's cut). Plus like a dime or so waaay back on the old last.fm radio service before it got shut down.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Do music as a full time job, so teaching and gigging. Managed to make 18k the year before the pandemic, then got kicked in the teeth and had to build it back up again. Looking decent this year again finally.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

A few bucks as a performer, but not really worth it when you include travel, loading, unloading. I basically played for fun and for free with friends and had to get a real job.

palindrome fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 21, 2022

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trig Discipline posted:

Please tell me he's named Magnificent 8.
Hahaha he is not. He has no appreciation of the finer things.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I have made $2 from bandcamp and currently have $11.61 available in my distrokid account. This is with zero effort to market my music though because I do this for fun/sanity. I can technically call myself a professional musician now though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've made a couple hundred but they're for my duo so half that, and it's earmarked for the next album so it's like having none at all

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Simone Poodoin posted:

I have made $2 from bandcamp and currently have $11.61 available in my distrokid account. This is with zero effort to market my music though because I do this for fun/sanity. I can technically call myself a professional musician now though.

I make music for the same reason - it's fun, and helps me feel like I've accomplished something after a lovely day of work. What's your bandcamp page?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://vicstradamus.bandcamp.com/

What's yours?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Mine is https://spacehoers.bandcamp.com/

I also upload a lot of stuff to Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 20, 2022

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I'm several grand into gear without a penny back and so I shall die

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lifetime music earnings? at least ~$190k, with 125k of it only in the last 2 years. 99% for performing live music and requisite rehearsals. I have no recordings/royalties and have taught less than 20 private lessons ever, the last time having been in 2014. I dissuade everyone I can from pursuing music as a career nonetheless

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

About $2k over the past decade.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Justa Dandelion posted:

About $2k over the past decade.

Better than zero? You tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Probably around $10-15k, over about 10 years of live performances. Lots of 3-4 hours jazz gigs at $50 an hour, $125 minimum for shorter apperances. That doesn't count drive time, unloading, and loading gear (which wasn't much honestly; an amp, drum set, and maybe a small PA). Do it for the love of the music and to impress girls, not for the money. I'm pretty sure I spent more on college tuition for music classes but hey, there were a ton of good times and unforgettable memories!