Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

In the back of my mind I’m wondering if a tiny chainring and subsequently spending more time in smaller cogs might result in efficiency losses greater than the sum of the weight savings.

I would assume yes seeing the difference between losing 10lbs vs gaining 10w

And weight loss only helps you on climbs and accelerating whereas power helps you everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wifi Toilet posted:

Just curious when people point out the quietness of different trainers, what fans are you all using? My fans are the loudest thing in the room, way louder than any trainer I've used, so I don't really get who cares how loud the trainer is when I can't hear anything over the fans anyway.

I’m using blower fans they’re nice and quiet

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

osker posted:

I put together the SB20 - this thing is rad, however I'm trying to figure out ERG mode. I have never used a trainer so I don't know what I'm doing outside of the sim mode.

For ERG, are you supposed to maintain cadence and the trainer will adjust resistance to the target wattage, or is it more complex than that? I had a hell of time landing on some wattages without oscillating over/under.

ERG is probably the weakest aspect of the SB20. It's not responsive enough and it has a very high wattage floor. I expect it to get better with firmware updates...maybe.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Wifi Toilet posted:

Just curious when people point out the quietness of different trainers, what fans are you all using? My fans are the loudest thing in the room, way louder than any trainer I've used, so I don't really get who cares how loud the trainer is when I can't hear anything over the fans anyway.

Saris H3.

The trainer itself is ultra quiet except for the freewheel (can be quietened with more grease apparently). Drivetrain of the attached bike is louder than the trainer in actual use, so not much noise at all.

And yes, the fans are far louder.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Tacx Neo T2800 for $400 from a local guy. I'd be stupid to sleep on this, right?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Crumps Brother posted:

Tacx Neo T2800 for $400 from a local guy. I'd be stupid to sleep on this, right?

If that’s the same as the Tacx neo and it isn’t broken or something, sounds like a deal.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's the original Tacx Neo from 2015, but it's not like turbo technology has moved on hugely. One caveat emptor thing here is that Garmin does not like people repairing its products, so if it's duff and given you don't have warranty you've just bought a big paperweight.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Well it doesn't matter, I guess. Dude just ghosted me mid-conversation and marked the listing as sold. I knew it was gonna go quickly, but drat. Y'all would've loved it too. Check this out...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
:hmmyes:

Oh well

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Can anyone provide comments on using a Peloton versus the alternative options for training?

I currently have a Wahoo Kickr. I’ve used both Zwift and Traineroad with decent outcomes. It’s served me well but the Mrs is now expressing interest in indoor training. I’m considering a Peloton.

My priorities are more towards training for gravel events, being able to drop friends on group rides etc. Nothing crazy serious. She’s more interested in general fitness.

Can anyone provide a view here? Can you get similar outcomes on a peloton versus the highly structured programs on Trainerroad?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Two issues with Peloton.

1) Where do they go from here?
2) If you buy the hardware, it’s a spin bike that doesn’t coast. The resistance is still crudely controlled even with the new Peloton+ bike.

Your SO probably won’t like any other option as much though. You could get the sub and see how she gets by using it in conjunction with the KICKR.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
SB20

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

One of us. One of us.

I don’t think Peloton is going anywhere but the SB20 is a better choice. My buddy has a Peloton, I have a SB20. It’s a much better bike to simulate road riding.

It’s also cheaper to use Pelotons app with a third party bike. You can’t (easily) use a Peloton bike with Zwift/etc.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Definitely a derail but I’m doing it this year too, assuming I’m able to snag a spot on 3/1 when it opens up.

Not sure if you’ve seen these:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KuobBDNfMyWCrMUNuQ_9qAx46P7HfmN8GYcVtyr0OHo/

https://dsjansen0.tripod.com/neclimbs_hillcalc.htm

Not sure what crank you’re running but I’m planning to run a Wolftooth direct mount chainring for my Force 22 GXP cranks which goes down to a 26t as the smallest. Coupling this with an 11-28 cassette should give me the range I want and a not great but not terrible 3t jump between teeth. This also means I can avoid having to mount a longer cage RD or a road link which is a few extra grams of weight savings.

I’m thinking to have easier than a 1:1 ratio for 700x25 tires in case of terrible wind. According to this site that would put me at a 80rpm cadence if I’m aiming for a 1 hour finish. Probably over ambitious but this is expensive as hell and I don’t want to come back thinking I had some gas left in the tank.

Feel free to msg me if you want to chat, this will be my first time so I’m undoubtedly going to get a ton of poo poo wrong

Did you get in? I forgot about this thread until my alarm went off to sign up. I’m excited but I also have to have surgery that’s going to take me off the bike and get fat in May so the timing is going to be tight

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time posted:

Did you get in? I forgot about this thread until my alarm went off to sign up. I’m excited but I also have to have surgery that’s going to take me off the bike and get fat in May so the timing is going to be tight

I did! A buddy of mine got in as well. Think I’m going to make a short trip out of it with my wife and my buddy will join us near the day of the hill climb.

Do you have a ride down from the top? I might be able to squeeze another person in depending on if we drive there or fly and rent a car. I haven’t done much planning yet.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I'm making a gear display for the SB20, but I just learned this thing only accepts 2 BLE connections at once. Do you folks use the Stages link app for any functionality other than gear display?

ANT+ has no limit on connections, but I don't want to learn how to use ANT. Why won't stages just implement the ANT+ gear shift profile so we can use our god drat head units.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I discovered today that you can scrub through trainerroad workouts.

Sadly only after dropping my phone and somehow skipping 1/3 of the workout I was on - but got back to it eventually.

This will make the needlessly long 10 minute recovery intervals go (literally) much faster, though I really just need to increase the intensity I guess.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

wooger posted:

I discovered today that you can scrub through trainerroad workouts.
If you scrub backwards you'll lose everything you did up to that point. Ask me how I know this!

wooger posted:

Sadly only after dropping my phone and somehow...
Oh hey, you already know.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Without the word Amazon being involved, please recommend a tablet for running zwift. Used, bad battery are both ok. Just want it to work reliably and smoothly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

LRADIKAL posted:

Without the word Amazon being involved, please recommend a tablet for running zwift. Used, bad battery are both ok. Just want it to work reliably and smoothly.

oldish ipad or 4th gen apple tv with a cheap tv

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I should have been more specific. I like to watch movies and shows on the tv in the room. That's why a tablet. What's an oldish ipad?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

LRADIKAL posted:

I should have been more specific. I like to watch movies and shows on the tv in the room. That's why a tablet. What's an oldish ipad?

I’d go with the cheapest refurb you can get from apple at the moment if you want the most hassle free.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
I bought the drat thing. For aussie posters there’s a 20% off sale for wahoo trainers on ozbargain at the moment. I bought a volcano fan non slip mat and some padded shorts off Amazon for cheap as well. I read the whole thread twice in anticipation- LRADIKAL, glad to see you still with us brother. Mashallah.

I clicked this thread by accident but somehow I feel like I’m the perfect usecase for this type of thing. Really looking forward to it!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can you believe that I still haven't gone over the handlebars of my stationary bike?! I've got my bike in a new setup, might just put that safety wheel back on it!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

Can you believe that I still haven't gone over the handlebars of my stationary bike?! I've got my bike in a new setup, might just put that safety wheel back on it!

I had to put 120lbs of sandbags on the legs of my trainer to keep it from walking forward 1-2ft in every sprint.

Not mine, but this guy does similar:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't sprint that hard and tilt my bike everywhere. I don't think I've really pushed more than 500 watts for any significant length of time. If you insist on swinging your bike around like that, shouldn't you get one of those tilting platforms?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't sprint that hard and tilt my bike everywhere. I don't think I've really pushed more than 500 watts for any significant length of time. If you insist on swinging your bike around like that, shouldn't you get one of those tilting platforms?

post your power curve :justpost:

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

LRADIKAL posted:

I can only hit 1000 watts for a few seconds but it was enough to make my bike move across my kitchen floor. Now my bike is in my conservatory and have the front wheel wedged up against a cupboard, problem solved. Though the movement seemed to be more up and down of the front wheel rather than from side to side.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

It’s not swinging, it’s hopping. I don’t swing my bike at all because that would be horrific on a trainer without a rocker plate…it’s bad even with one.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'll post my power curve, sure. How?

Your bike is hopping? Is that on your upstroke and you're clipped in?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

I'll post my power curve, sure. How?

Your bike is hopping? Is that on your upstroke and you're clipped in?

It's from both a slight upstroke during sprints and also from natural rebound from trying to kick my legs forward and down?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Very few people can keep a trainer from moving during an all-out sprint.
Probably all trackies or weaklings, or, like me, both.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t move my stages but also indoor sprints are the worst. I did my first real road ride in anger today and annihilated my 5 second power for the season.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Body weight is also a factor. I’m 62kg. There’s literally less weight keeping the trainer in place even though I’m still doing 15s@900W or whatever. Or 60s@615W. That’s why I had 2x60lb sandbags on my trainer legs before I got my SB20, which does. not. move.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hm, body weight's a good point. I'm an enormous 80 kilos!

Asking again, what's a power curve?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I can’t move my stages but also indoor sprints are the worst. I did my first real road ride in anger today and annihilated my 5 second power for the season.

Hell yeah

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

LRADIKAL posted:

Hm, body weight's a good point. I'm an enormous 80 kilos!

Asking again, what's a power curve?

A power curve is an x-y plot of best power and duration.

It can be for either a specific ride, or for the last year, or all time.

So, at any point x of duration, say, 5 minutes, the corresponding y power is your best average power for 5 minutes for that ride, or for every ride, depending on what the power curve is representing.

When people talk about it, they generally mean either for the last 90 days (if they care about numbers that have any bearing on their current fitness), or all time (if they got fat in the pandemic and don't want to think about how far away from a PR they are).

Many websites will generate a power curve for you. I think Strava does it if you're premium, trainer road does, Xert does, intervals.icu does for freemium, etc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

$300 off SB20 to put it at $2,199 with the code LUCKY300.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

$300 off SB20 to put it at $2,199 with the code LUCKY300.

it's $2k from the zwift store

https://www.zwift.com/shop/product/stages-sb20-smart-bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s a good deal. Zwift apparently charges a $90 fee for the pleasure of having it drop shooed from Stages though.

quote:

Shipping:
Zwift requires a $90 curbside delivery service on all smart bike purchases to ensure your bike arrives safe and sound.