Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think anyone is saying they should be removed entirely. The issue is them being able to built mid-battle at all, and the AI building them on cooldown.

I am. I'm saying that. The first thing I'm going to do as soon as Mortal Empires comes out if/and they fix the game is to mod out the supplies system entirely. It sucks.

Captain Beans posted:

Did you play 3k? siege battles worked pretty well in that game, the AI was fun to play against. I’m never going to say the AI was “good” because it doesn’t need to be good, just fun to play against.

Yup I did and they worked pretty well relative to other TW games because they were just big flat squares. I didn't really ever play many defensive siege battles in 3K (I guess they didn't want to attack anything with walls) but my offensive battles were almost 100% me sitting outside the walls bombing them into submission and exhausting all my ammo before cleaning up whatever was left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I only played 3k on release but from what I remember the siege battles had a distinct lack of Minotaurs so it wouldn’t stick

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Staltran posted:

Doesn't the AI actually ignore the cooldown, often starting to rebuild a tower the second it's destroyed? If the AI actually respected the... 2 minute? cooldown the player gets when a tower it's destroyed, the tower spam would be greatly reduced since a tower would pop back up 210 seconds after destruction, not 90.

agreed 100%. I actually kinda like the settlement battles even though I thought I would hate them, but the AI starting the rebuilding of the towers instantly is very grating. It feels unfair in an unfun way rather than the fun ways the game can tilt the odds in the AI's favor

That being said, I do really like that capturing the points will instantly destroy any towers or barricades. Feels very satisfying and it gives a nice objective to go for when attacking

Other than the above quote, the only other change I might like would be to make it so only level 3 settlements get the settlement battles. Lower levels should just be a field battle that has a big advantage in terrain for the defenders. Im sure there will be mods for this eventually and even now, I dont really have any issues attacking settlements, just would be a nice change imo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Here's my idea : Instead of building up supply points over time, there is a 'fortify' button on the settlement. Fortifying a settlement adds supply points each round and quickly repairs damage done to walls or garrison. However, while fortifying there are penalties to public order, growth, and income (amount varies by race). More defense oriented races are penalized less and can generate more supplies. You can still fortify while under siege but the bonuses are halved.

When under siege, you can use some of the stockpiled supply points to run the blockade which offsets the attrition suffered that round. When the siege battle starts, there are two supply values: the up front supplies you can use before the battle, and the total amount that can be generated over time. The banked amount is normally 3-5x the starting amount and accumulates over time just like it does now, the difference is they run out eventually. By capturing a supply point on the map the defender will instantly destroy a % of their remaining supplies.

Towers no longer rebuild for free and require a % of their original cost to repair. Other race specific equipment can also be built in lieu of arrow towers (structures that slowly regenerate health, ammo, give defenders nearby frenzy or make attackers enraged, etc).

As an attacker you can try to catch a settlement that hasn't started to fortify yet, alternatively when you attack you can focus on supply points to wipe out their defense capability. As a defender you need to anticipate when you might be under attack but can invest supplies to offset attrition to buy precious time.

If you turn fortify off the built up supplies bleed off over time.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sounds complicated. The AI couldn't handle it and CA would give them huge bonuses to it for each tier of difficulty you go up to compensate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Other than the above quote, the only other change I might like would be to make it so only level 3 settlements get the settlement battles. Lower levels should just be a field battle that has a big advantage in terrain for the defenders. Im sure there will be mods for this eventually and even now, I dont really have any issues attacking settlements, just would be a nice change imo
Please god this.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I am. I'm saying that. The first thing I'm going to do as soon as Mortal Empires comes out if/and they fix the game is to mod out the supplies system entirely. It sucks.
Ah, fair. I agree with you but I dont expect that it will ever happen so I'm not getting my hopes up.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sounds complicated. The AI couldn't handle it and CA would give them huge bonuses to it for each tier of difficulty you go up to compensate.

I mean that didn't stop them from deploying the current system that the AI can't handle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Not really. Not much different than an army stance or province commandment on the map. And the main point is to give defenders finite amounts of supplies so vs AI you knock down a tower and a barricade, capture a supply point and now the AI is done with building any more towers. Meanwhile as a defender you can offset attrition and plan the battle ahead.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't see why people are so horny for more field battles. For all the complaints about sieges its not like many of the field maps are much better. If you rely a lot on ranged then you inevitably get some variation of that map with the big gently caress off hill right in the worst spot. If you use melee then you're going to be fighting on some moonscape with zero cover.

The debuffs for certain terrain barely feel meaningful which means things like strider don't feel like much of a boost. Traits like aquatic or forester barely matter, and even removing foliage from the screen watching large numbers of units in forests is a mess because the tree trunks are still visible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, fighting as Khorne is so relaxing. You just kinda charge your boys in and let them do the murder. They chunk everything to death, or at least trade well. loving bloodletters are murder machines against infantry, Dual weapon Khorne warriors chew through chaff like mad, Bloodthirsters are incredible, flying anti-large... like holy poo poo. There's so much good poo poo in there.

You're just this murdertide that washes over everything. Exalted Bloodthirsters are beasts, and then, of course, Skarbrand happily punts entire armies to death.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So my viewpoint on sieges: they've always sucked in Total War games. Some people claim they enjoyed Shogun II sieges, but I'm pretty sure they're lying and/or misremembering. I agree there are issues with the WH3 version, but it's at least different and IMO is a system that is a lot easier to iterate upon than what there used to be (which is to say, there's actually a system now). The maps are clearly better too, even if a featureless flat plain remains the OPTIMAL TERRAIN outside of a gigantic mountain with cliff walls to park artillery upon and watch the AI explode itself.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Maybe it's because I've played every campaign in every spot but maps are the most varied they've ever been.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Gonkish posted:

Man, fighting as Khorne is so relaxing. You just kinda charge your boys in and let them do the murder. They chunk everything to death, or at least trade well. loving bloodletters are murder machines against infantry, Dual weapon Khorne warriors chew through chaff like mad, Bloodthirsters are incredible, flying anti-large... like holy poo poo. There's so much good poo poo in there.

You're just this murdertide that washes over everything. Exalted Bloodthirsters are beasts, and then, of course, Skarbrand happily punts entire armies to death.

Yeah, pretty much everything in Khornes army is excellent.

He doesn't get any magic, but sort of doesn't need it when his roster is so effective. His basic infantry is effective well into the endgame and his monstrous cavalry (blood/skullcrushers) are ridiculous

Plus, minotaurs are always just fun

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm an idiot. I thought the decrease in red line effectiveness was because they were trying to curb power creep. No, its obviously because otherwise there is no way allied units would be worth taking even if they did fill gaps in the roster. Relatedly, helblasters are a lot of fun and even if Grom is a really good all-purpose artillery unit, helstorm fire over the heads of Kostaltyn's troops just feels good.

I'm also musing over whether giving Katarin some kind of "summoned snowcats decay more slowly/don't decay" skill would be too good, because as-is I just dont ever field regular cats and the summons decay too fast to take advantage of her giving them stalk. Also, I feel like she should give elemental bears regeneration instead of Boris, who should have some other skill instead, though I'm not sure what.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Khorne campaign is the least I've ever thought in this game ever. I'm literally letting rebellions and invaders fester and routinely sack and siege my cities between rifts and it's like.. eh, who cares? When Papa SkarB gets home everybody is getting spanked and sent to their room without supper or heads. I'm 70k above a -1000 upkeep at worst if I actually try to raise a second army to stall.

Level 50 by Turn 61, lmao. Looking at a 7-8 hour Legendary win. That said it is still fun because all the toys are good, manually fighting or thinking in fights pays off, they have great faction features, a good varied roster and even good starting areas and simple but efficient infrastructure with some surprising bonuses like 1 turn minor settlement upgrades.

It cracks me up that the Ogres and Khorne might be the most powerful masons in the game. Going in the book, etc.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RoyalScion posted:

Oh yeah, and the towers for the bastions are bugged so they're garbage if you actually upgrade the main settlement :shepface:

If anyone wanted a quick hack fix for this, I just did it for cathay. Tested on a max level Bastion and the towers should get rockets. I just reversed the order of the type of towers that Cathay settlements get when they are upgraded so when CA fixes this you'll need to delete the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucwtpufsxea9s99/%40Cathyrockettest.pack?dl=0

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 17, 2022

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Total War games desperately need a way to play a campaign without actually interacting with a campaign map or dealing with town sieges and poo poo at all.

Like, an adventure mode where you progressively make decisions that branches or something. The campaign map is so loving boring to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

WarEternal posted:

Total War games desperately need a way to play a campaign without actually interacting with a campaign map or dealing with town sieges and poo poo at all.

Like, an adventure mode where you progressively make decisions that branches or something. The campaign map is so loving boring to me.

On the other hand, I would instantly stop playing Total War games if there was no campaign map. But I'm coming from very map-centric Paradox games, if you only care about having cool battles then I can absolutely understand why you don't like it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Torrannor posted:

On the other hand, I would instantly stop playing Total War games if there was no campaign map. But I'm coming from very map-centric Paradox games, if you only care about having cool battles then I can absolutely understand why you don't like it.

Definitely not saying take it away, I just would like a mode I could play that's like, I dunno, a Blood Bowl league.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

WarEternal posted:

I have to imagine in a few years that someone will mod the Cathay trade routes into a mode like that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

WarEternal posted:

I disagree, but you might want to check out that Reuniting Lost Kin mod for TWW2, short as it is. Sounds like you want Dark Omen tbh which criminally never got put on GOG.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

WarEternal posted:

Try multiplayer skirmish. Not using the client, that sucks, but with one of the MP streamer discords (or the goon one, for that matter).

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
As a long time player of Total War games and veteran of the nerd rage on forums, I consider myself a shareholder in Creative Assembly.

I would appreciate being treated like other major shareholders. As in, all internal board papers run by me for consultation and game updates directed via my inbox for sign-off before implementation.

If this is not done or my design ideas/revisions not at the very least given genuine consideration by the development team, then I do not see our partnership as fruitful into the future. I will cancel my preorder for the next tentpole title and remove Creative Assembly from my generous stewardship.

Good day to you, sirs and madames

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I am very disappointed in the release. As a result, I will only deign to stream two... Hundred hours of video essays about how upset I am about this sequel.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

A Perfect Twist posted:

As a long time player of Total War games and veteran of the nerd rage on forums, I consider myself a shareholder in Creative Assembly.

I would appreciate being treated like other major shareholders. As in, all internal board papers run by me for consultation and game updates directed via my inbox for sign-off before implementation.

If this is not done or my design ideas/revisions not at the very least given genuine consideration by the development team, then I do not see our partnership as fruitful into the future. I will cancel my preorder for the next tentpole title and remove Creative Assembly from my generous stewardship.

hey hey

*whispers hey I got chaos dwarfs for sale i got em right now won’t last

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Perfect Twist posted:

Same, except I will not cancel my preorder but will just talk about it

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Amen to this. Its the one great aspect of AR being tied to difficulty. I dont do it all the time but its nice that its an option if the AR is being stupid. Like a Decisive Victory with low casualties still leading to the annihilation of one of my units.

edit: I wonder if CA has the ability to see the stats about the number of people that lower the difficulty to AR a battle then switch it back...

I wish there was some option to have a unit 'sit out' of a battle even in Auto-Resolve.

There are so many situations where I have a badass doomstack by my dragon or whatever is really low on health so the auto-resolve immediately kills it, as if my general's plan would be to send a dying monster charging straight into the enemy front lines alone. Any battle I play out I take the stricken units and just hide them in the woods and only send them out if the whole army is in danger of a rout.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
What are some features from older Total War games that you're kinda sad are gone? I know not all of these are feasible for Hamwarmer.

For me:

- Generals used to do pre-battle speeches in non-quest battles. They'd take into account friendly and enemy forces, terrain, and even the general's traits.

- Traits! Generals used to pick up a lot more personality traits that would affect them - they'd level up rather randomly and you wouldn't get to choose what they got. They'd get bonuses to cavalry if they won a lot of battles with cavalry and such. Sometimes they'd be insane and would even spout off about the moon staring at them during a battle.

- Mortal Lords: I hate all this 'Wounded' stuff. It was cool to kill a king and see the faction dissolve into civil war.

- Titles: You used to have a title for each territory you controlled. The Duke of Normandy, the Count of Rheims, or whatever. You'd plop it onto officers to give them buffs.

- Officers: Every single unit had a named officer who would then have stats and could be modified by titles and such. Yes, even basic spearmanni had a boss.

- Burning Oil: How come Warhams got no burning hot oil in front of the gates? It seems way too easy to just pile dudes up on the gates and bash them down I never actually need rams.

- Movies: You could watch your assassins take guys out in lovely little CGI films.

- Random Maps: The map would be randomly generated based off of the positions of the armies on the campaign map. You would even see distant ships on the beach if naval forces were close by, and you could see cities too. If a battle was on a river crossing it would absolutely be a river-crossing map.

- Armies that aren't 20-stacks: Sometimes it is fun to have a battle between just a few units on each side.

- Visual upgrades: For example you have basic archers who just wear cloth hoodies. Depending on the blacksmith/armourer level in the province, your troops would be recruited with upgraded armor and this would be visually reflected on the unit. Like standard archers could be wearing leather or chainmail or helmets depending on the province they came from.

- Rally Point: You would place a flag on the map yourself and all reinforcements would head towards that spot.

- Mount/Dismount: You could mount and dismount cavalry before and during battles.

- Buildings: You could occupy buildings with troops who would shoot out the windows.

- Siege Weapons: You could deliberately target siege weapons. Like, your men would throw torches at their cannons and such, so even if the crew routed, you could destroy the weapons so when they rallied it would be useless. It was fun sending little horsemen sorties out of besieged cities to smash the siege weaponry.

- TESTUDO: It was awesome seeing the Roman legions forming the shield turtle. I wish there was some unit in Warhammer that did this.

- General Bodyguards: I liked that the General would have a cavalry unit of his closest friends instead of just being a lone warrior.

- Zoom In Deaths: Why did they get rid of the little zoom-in that would occur when the enemy or friendly General died? It could always be a toggle for people who hate it.

- Weather: It used to be that weather had an effect beyond the visual. Gunpowder and missile weapons would be less effective in the rain. You could 'wait' to get different weather at the start of a battle but if you waited too much your general would pick up bad traits and the mens morale would be worse.

- GYEARHGHHH: When you slaughtered prisoners it used to make the most disgusting sounds.

- Ransoms: When you choose the option to ransom prisoners the ENEMY ACTUALLY GETS THEM BACK. This is so dumb in Warhammer that it is purely a choice for the reward always and nothing actually happens when you sell back troops.

- Formations: You used to actually be able to order your troops into loose/tight formations. If you were getting smashed by arrows you could go loose to lessen the damage. You could also form squares, pike-walls, and other such things. I know Warhams still has this with knights able to form wedges but it used to be so much more. Arguably some units in Warhammer should be in looser formations like orcs or something.

- Pre-battle deployables: Stakes, walls, etc. I guess we have this with the settlement battles now but it is cheesier to do it in real time and just have stuff pop up.

There is plenty of poo poo I hated about the old ones, like all the diplomacy being done through moveable map agents. If you wanna make a deal with Sicily you gotta slowly trudge a diplomat to Sicily only to have them inexplicably refuse something. It's just interesting seeing how much was lost.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 17, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

WarEternal posted:

i would play the poo poo out of a Total Warhammer roguelike where each run you try to lead an army through a bunch of battles and choices to try and upgrade your stack and beat the final boss

they could include a bunch of the broken mechanics from the campaign as rewards for events and even have cool mix-and-match armies. Just gotta stay on top of casualties or else your stack might hit a death spiral and fail

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I didn't know I needed the Total War rogue-like battle conga until now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Battle speeches are in now actually, just zoom in on your general when you start the battle.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

but my offensive battles were almost 100% me sitting outside the walls bombing them into submission and exhausting all my ammo before cleaning up whatever was left.

I mean that's kinda why they introduced the whole towers and supply thing in the first place, it's so you can't just sit back and just blow up everything with artillery (which gets really easy and boring after a while) but actually have to advance, manoeuvre and cap stuff.

I like it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alctel posted:

I mean that's kinda why they introduced the whole towers and supply thing in the first place, it's so you can't just sit back and just blow up everything with artillery (which gets really easy and boring after a while) but actually have to advance, manoeuvre and cap stuff.

I like it.

I like the new settlement battles I just hate how many of them they are, I get heavily exhausted by them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alctel posted:

I like it.

I don't think the towers really have much to do with that, though, what prevents that mostly is that the settlements are tall and have terrible LOS for that kind of thing. If anything I have found the towers only encourage you to do that more because you want to keep somewhere where you can suppress them with cannons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
EDIT: wrong thread

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like the idea of settlement battles but a lot of the time my units are just too annoying to order around inside a settlement and it ruins whatever effect the devs wanted.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Slaneesh is pretty fun but I feel like daemonettes are just worse bloodletters, keepers of secrets are just worse Bloodthirsters and their cavalry/chariots are not half as effective as bloodcrushers/skullcrushers/minotaurs.

Then you have their gimp tier 1 mortal infantry armies vs khornes silver shield 100 armor supermen tier 1 mortal infantry armies. It's not even a contest

If I could lawnmow more effectively with the Slaneesh chariots I'd probably like the faction a lot more. Also if they got like 20% more replenishment in campaign

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 17, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I just want total war medieval 3

Same man, same.

I actually really miss "I've upgraded the blacksmith at this settlement so all my spearmen have mail armour" and it actually appearing on the model

Panfilo posted:

Supply post

Nah gently caress this. AI knows exactly what your settlements have so they'll just beeline for the unfortified places every time, even if the army they're using is guaranteed to die the turn after.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like the idea of settlement battles but a lot of the time my units are just too annoying to order around inside a settlement and it ruins whatever effect the devs wanted.

oh god, it's also this, in a battle where fine control really matters, Game please stop trying to dock to walls, Game PLEASE when I target an enemy, don't go after 2 loving models half way across the map, Game PLEASE if I loving block the enemy, don't let them just ignore that because THEY decided to dock to my walls and apparently come hell or high water they will get into those slots and in turn take my point.

I find it hard to hate the towers aspect because they've saved so many settlement battles where I'd have lost (Piercing towers OP for Kislev) without them but like... please. PLEASE.

Also better loving garrisons. I would be more excited to properly engage with defending the map instead of "Find best choke point, not leave" if my garrison wasn't 4 useless units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah I like the settlement battles in theory but there's so much dumb poo poo that I just get put off. Like it's not my idea of fun to have to sit there and go "And what point does this tower connect to?" and then I sit there and stare at the tower and go "Well you see actually this tower can't fire anyway because the architect was a stupid rear end in a top hat" and then that just happens with everything to the point where 99% of my Cathay settlement battles were just camping an alleyway/small square while my archers focus fire on 'stuff' because my melee infantry might decide that today is the day they'll become intangible for enemies.

Also the latter part is something I'm really curious about in general. What is the dev intention for this game, how do they expect players to play, what do they expect them to do in battles, what do they expect them to do in a campaign? Do they have actual footage of battles/campaign play that isn't comically curated and just designed to 'look at cool as possible' but bears no resemblance to how anyone plays.

Like I'm aware of the arms race between the cheating AI and meganerds that turns into "I dance Isabella von Carstein around on her flying horse for 20 minutes until the enemy runs out of ammo and then I cast Wind of Death twice and they autobreak while my 2000 skeletons stand in a nearby forest" but I'm wondering what like...should be going on.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 17, 2022