Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
You really dont know this team at all and it shows. There's multiple aging veterans that have bad contracts that Spielman saddled the team with in addition to cousins while drafting like pure rear end and not building depth. Thielen is overpaid for his production and injuries (17m), Harrison Smith got a massive contract at age 32 on the decline (13m), Danielle Hunter has been injured for 2 years (28m), and Dalvin Cook got a massive contract that he can't stay healthy for (13m cap hit) . How do you propose the team would have moved on from cousins this year? The only options were cut him and eat 45 million in dead cap, or trade him to a market that never materialized.

That's 71 million dollars in 2022 cap locked up in 4 players that have significant injury history, or never should have gotten extended in the first place. Kirk has a big contract but it's completely short sighted to blame it all on his contract alone.

Obviously nobody wanted to trade for Kirk what the brass felt he was worth, otherwise a deal would have gotten done. The only move was to extend him, get cap relief, and set up a scenario in 2023 where he performs well and is extended, or they draft his replacement from a likely better pool of quarterbacks and that QB takes over in 2024 and he moves on then. There was literally no other option, and this was the best making of a bad situation capwise for both parties.

Minnesota will assuredly need to restructure or trade guys like Hunter and Cook, and pay cut /cut Thielen and Harrison.

Drafting a QB at #12 because you feel pressured to is what gets you Christian Ponder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
You make very good points, but I do know who's on the team and I've watched all the Vikings for the past five years or so. Which contains all the information I need to say that the team isn't doing jack of note with Cousins at quarterback and with his contract as the burden it is. Which maybe I'm wrong, it's not like he's completely useless, but I doubt it.

I also know they've made a lot of other dumb moves in an effort to keep a moderately successful defensive core together, pay their (awesome, to be fair) RB too much, etc. Cousins isn't their only overpay. But he's by far their highest cap number and will continue to be so until they make a change, you could fit the salaries of so many good players into the difference between Cousins' contract and a rookie contract. I also know they basically had no choice but to restructure his contract, but they put themselves in that situation with Cousins having them over a barrel. The idea is to NOT be in this exact same situation one/two years from now.

So basically they should do everything they can to bring in a quarterback of the future, whenever they are set up to do so. If that's this year, then they should do it this year. If it's next year, do it next year. If it's multiple years from now, well probably not the best idea but it could happen. Don't even pay attention to the years on Cousins' contract, all that matters is getting the right player.

There's a lot of 'common sense' when it comes to roster construction that doesn't actually make sense, sometimes. Everybody thought the Cardinals were insane at first when word came that they were gonna draft a first round quarterback the year after drafting a first round quarterback. Basically like you should just accept being terrible for a few years before admitting your mistake. Teams should ALWAYS be looking for quarterbacks unless they have a guy who can win a super bowl on the team already.

Not the exact same situation here as the Cardinals, but the principle is the same: to set yourself up for actual success you need to get the right guy for the most important position. Even if you need multiple attempts to do it and even if it's not the perfect 'time' in terms of your current qbs contract, or stage of rebuild, or other onerous contracts on the team, or anything else.

And who knows, apparently the Vikings have met with Malik Willis, Kenny Pickett and Desmond Ridder. So at the very least they are taking a look, doing their due diligence, which is all I'm saying they should do.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Play posted:

There's a lot of 'common sense' when it comes to roster construction that doesn't actually make sense, sometimes. Everybody thought the Cardinals were insane at first when word came that they were gonna draft a first round quarterback the year after drafting a first round quarterback. Basically like you should just accept being terrible for a few years before admitting your mistake. Teams should ALWAYS be looking for quarterbacks unless they have a guy who can win a super bowl on the team already.

This, and I'd argue they should also be looking for the next guy even when they have a current SB winning guy because what's the one thing better than a top 5 quarterback locked in on a long extension? That's right, a top 5 quarterback on a rookie deal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vando posted:

This, and I'd argue they should also be looking for the next guy even when they have a current SB winning guy because what's the one thing better than a top 5 quarterback locked in on a long extension? That's right, a top 5 quarterback on a rookie deal.

Yea, that’s worked really well for the Packers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah but I mean, there's four franchises in our division who are staring down the barrel of QB hell or ending up with a piece of poo poo rapist (for three of them anyway). When 5 or 6 seasons ago there were 3 legitimate MVP candidates suiting up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

Yeah but I mean, there's four franchises in our division who are staring down the barrel of QB hell or ending up with a piece of poo poo rapist (for three of them anyway). When 5 or 6 seasons ago there were 3 legitimate MVP candidates suiting up.

If you spend a 1st on a guy when you’ve already got a top 5 QB with no stated plans to retire means you’ve got to be fine with potentially completely wasting a first pick or pissing off your top 5 QB and being forced to play a guy who will almost definitely be way worse.

Trying to guess when your QB is going to fall off a cliff and divest early ends with you starting the corpse of Cam Newton while Tom Brady wins a Super Bowl on his new team.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Agree that this league wide salivating over Watson is really loving off putting.

You can commit sexual assault, manslaughter and domestic abuse but god for loving bid you respectfully take a knee during the national anthem. I personally have known a lot of coworkers who claim to have to have checked out of the NFL soley for what Kap and a few other players did but rape, DUI manslaughter and beating the poo poo out of pregnant women doesn't cross that line for them.

I like Watson a lot as a player but I hope he lands on his rear end and pays a price. I know he won't though.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They're 1 for 2 in drafting a new HOF QB in the 1st while having an existing HOF QB on the roster.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Tyrod Taylor will be the #2 guy for the Giants:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33512312/qb-tyrod-taylor-plans-sign-2-year-17-million-deal-new-york-giants-source-says

And one I didn't see mentioned here already is Teddy Bridgewater becoming the backup in Miami (unless Tua really drops the ball).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/14/report-teddy-bridgewater-signing-one-year-deal-dolphins

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ironic result, injury to Daniel Jones leads to Tyrod Taylor becoming the Giants long term solution at QB.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Blowjob Overtime posted:

They're 1 for 2 in drafting a new HOF QB in the 1st while having an existing HOF QB on the roster.

At a fifty perfect hit rate they’d be foolish not to spend a first rounder on a QB every year. Even if they don’t need them, just think of the picks they could get for all of those future HOF QBs they could trade.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

At a fifty perfect hit rate they’d be foolish not to spend a first rounder on a QB every year. Even if they don’t need them, just think of the picks they could get for all of those future HOF QBs they could trade.

So who is still QB hinting now? Carolina, Indy and Seattle I guess. Houston but who cares?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I feel like most of the QB vacancies will be resolved within like an hour of Watson getting traded

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

So who is still QB hinting now? Carolina, Indy and Seattle I guess. Houston but who cares?

Carolina, New Orleans, Indy, Seattle and Cleveland apparently.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
https://twitter.com/bakermayfield/status/1503914793228402689

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
No love lost, apparently...

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1504206312606945286

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Russell Wilson Bullshit

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Russ: “after a decade of sabotage by my employer, I have decided to go to a different employer”

Seattle FO: “oh my god!!! This divorce is all your fault!”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Russ: “after a decade of sabotage by my employer, I have decided to go to a different employer”

Seattle FO: “oh my god!!! This divorce is all your fault!”

I too remember the Seahawks sabotaging Wilson by going to two Super Bowls in the mid-2010s.

Not that you're wrong, but it's closer to a half-decade of sabotage, if that.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My only comment is that the audio is even more awkward
https://twitter.com/ZacStevensDNVR/status/1504188197814865930

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Slightly off topic but here's a PFO article thinking about how Montana, Marino, etc. might fair today

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2022/how-would-marino-montana-have-fared-2021

They list these as possible reasons for the increased passing ratings we see in today's game

- More innovative offensive play design (in particular, play-action becoming more common).
- The inception of more offense-friendly rules.
- Better athletes playing around the quarterback on offense (particularly at receiving positions).
- Better athletes playing against the quarterback on defense.
- More complex defensive coverage schemes.
- Advances in sports medicine and nutrition.
- Reductions in the legal number of full-contact practices per NFL team per season.

One thing not on there that I've always wondered about is if it's possible that video games, particularly the Madden series, might contribute a little bit. It sounds far fetched but hear me out. Generations of QB's and players in general have grown up with the series and a high percentage of NFL players play Madden even now. All sorts of occupations use computer simulations for training purposes and I know that playing the video game has opened up my personal understanding to a lot how the game works; coverages, route concepts, pre-snap reads, passing route progressions, hot routes, timing, blitz adjustments and even stuff like clock management.

I wonder if the overall effect of this might be an overall higher football IQ for players and for QB's in particular? I think it's plausible and don't see how it's tremendously different than the film study that teams have always used, minus the AI deficiencies and CPU cheese tactics endemic to the series that aren't realistic. Like, there's no "money plays" in the NFL of course but basics and fundamentals I feel can be learned from the game.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
One thing I heard a podcast bring up one time is that kids are playing tackle football from a young age anymore, it's a ton of 7 on 7 flag football until high school. So instead of peewee kids running the ball 100 times a game, the kids are are going to be NFL quarterbacks one day are throwing thousands of passes before reaching high school. I think it was the 2017 draft class that fully grew up this way.

BiggerBoat posted:

One thing not on there that I've always wondered about is if it's possible that video games, particularly the Madden series, might contribute a little bit. It sounds far fetched but hear me out. Generations of QB's and players in general have grown up with the series and a high percentage of NFL players play Madden even now. All sorts of occupations use computer simulations for training purposes and I know that playing the video game has opened up my personal understanding to a lot how the game works; coverages, route concepts, pre-snap reads, passing route progressions, hot routes, timing, blitz adjustments and even stuff like clock management.

I wonder if the overall effect of this might be an overall higher football IQ for players and for QB's in particular? I think it's plausible and don't see how it's tremendously different than the film study that teams have always used, minus the AI deficiencies and CPU cheese tactics endemic to the series that aren't realistic. Like, there's no "money plays" in the NFL of course but basics and fundamentals I feel can be learned from the game.

This is definitely something I've heard brought up a few times now as well.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Any data available that says marino would break the all time passing record is okay by me

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Would great QB's do better in an era where it's trivially easy to pass the ball?

Yeah, unless they joined the Bears.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kalli posted:

Would great QB's do better in an era where it's trivially easy to pass the ball?

Yeah, unless they joined the Bears.

hey

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'm capable of describing how much I am sick of the Watson storyline.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Beaten but, yeah, something else the article touched on was how more and more high school teams are running more sophisticated concepts as well which gives the players a chance to practice and learn a lot more things. When I was in HS, the offenses were insanely conservative and, if I had to guess, were probably at least 75% running plays. Even the few passes that were called were basic swing routes, curls and slants.

Kids playing now as QB's are given a lot more to do in a HS offense for the most part.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1504444527117053955

:shrug:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Lol "You know we'd only try to replace you with the best, baby"

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1504474308982173701

Nov 6, 2002

look i told my wife if i ever had a shot at Margot Robbie i'd have to take it and she totally understood

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

So...Mayfield to the Colts maybe?

Good. gently caress him and whoever signs him.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ShakeZula posted:

The browns are so loving stupid.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

So...Mayfield to the Colts maybe?

I hope not, if they're not getting Watson then the asking price would probably be more than I'd want the Colts to pay

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

I hope not, if they're not getting Watson then the asking price would probably be more than I'd want the Colts to pay

I think the Colts are fine if they have to give up their 2023 first rounder. Like right now they need someone who can come in and win in the next 2-3 years, not a rookie QB. So they give up the first, and if it works out that's great. If it doesn't, then you start to sell the house and do whatever it takes to land Arch Manning in 2025.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

What would you think? I can't see a first rounder anywhere in this equation. Maybe a #2 and like a #4 next year? I doubt the price for Baker is all that high and right now the Colts are almost entirely being held down by their QB play. Bridgewater might have made some sense there and now...? Jimmy G? Winston might work. Some draft picks for Minshew?

They're running out of options.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
They should go for Jimmy. He's an expert at handing the ball off and I actually think he would give better results than Wentz passing as well.

They should also draft a QB if there's anyone they like at all.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I have my Believe Women post and my defence of Deshaun Watson post both queued up and ready to go

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Slowpoke! posted:

I have my Believe Women post and my defence of Deshaun Watson post both queued up and ready to go

Lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Play posted:

They should go for Jimmy. He's an expert at handing the ball off and I actually think he would give better results than Wentz passing as well.

They should also draft a QB if there's anyone they like at all.

JG makes sense since Indy is pretty solid everywhere else except, like Carson, he still has mistake prone tendencies. When was the last time the Colts had a dual threat QB? One who could make plays with his legs? Because I keep hoping someone will take a flyer on Kap for about 50 reasons. I started to write a list of dudes who suck out loud that are still in the league I but it was too long. I know it doesn't mean anything but here's a video of his workout:

https://deadspin.com/colin-kaepernick-s-still-got-it-in-his-workout-videos-1848661638

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Wrong thread!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 17, 2022