Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I know that Linda is the racist that among other things called Steve Toussaint a "drow" but did Elio have any episodes of his own?

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

D&D look better all things considered because it’s harder to blame them for throwing their hands up and wanting to bail after they finished season 6 and GRRM had absolutely nothing more to give them.

Nah they sucked total rear end and couldn't write or direct their way out of a paper bag

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Nah they sucked total rear end and couldn't write or direct their way out of a paper bag

Yea, what success they had came from having a perfect blueprint in the form of 3 solid books and 2 more that had some stuff that fans of the first 3 might like. Even then they occasionally hosed poo poo up, almost tanked the pilot, added the occasional good embellishment (the oft praised scene between Cersei and Robert) but more often than not added cliche tripe, and as soon as they had to write large chunks that strayed from the books the bulk of it sucked terribly. They should absolutely be remembered as guys who were clever enough to pitch the series at the right time but crashed at the finish line.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

D&D look better all things considered because it’s harder to blame them for throwing their hands up and wanting to bail after they finished season 6 and GRRM had absolutely nothing more to give them.

Mmmm no the wolverine guy promoting his coffee getter to writer status still deserves a boat load of poo poo for how bad that loving show was.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 13, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea, what success they had came from having a perfect blueprint in the form of 3 solid books and 2 more that had some stuff that fans of the first 3 might like. Even then they occasionally hosed poo poo up, almost tanked the pilot, added the occasional good embellishment (the oft praised scene between Cersei and Robert) but more often than not added cliche tripe, and as soon as they had to write large chunks that strayed from the books the bulk of it sucked terribly. They should absolutely be remembered as guys who were clever enough to pitch the series at the right time but crashed at the finish line.

Oh the world we would be in right now if only at that fateful luncheon, when GRRM asked those two dipshits “Who is Jon Snow’s mother?”, David simply went “uuuuuh” and fell out of his chair and Dan at the same time blew a massive rear end ripping fart and stained both his pants and the seat with an ungodly torrent of liquid poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh come on I wasn’t saying that they didn’t suck. It’s just more understandable why they wanted to bail.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
lol

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Had kind of a dumb conversation the other day. In Discord, someone used the word "hater" unironically so we tore into him. After the ribbing was done, we said sorry and told him that it was funny that none of us had heard anyone use that word unironically in a long time. I'd always thought it was a dumb word on the level of "butthurt" or "triggered" but I noticed that yeah I hadn't heard the word in a long time either, but I used to see or hear it constantly on social media feeds. The last time I remember hearing it a whole shitload was during the days before the GoT normies finally gave in to the show being crap. The Battle of Winterfell happened so I saw lots of "Arya haters" comments. I heard lots of "Dany haters" nonsense up until The Bells. I think the word "hater" was used by a lot of normies who could appreciate even the smallest flecks of gold in the biggest turdpiles. These people showed up on Sundays for Thrones, got their week's entertainment, then went about their business, same for any other mediocre-to-bad entertainment in their lives. Then Season 8 started going on and on and suddenly even the normies with the shiniest eyes realized "oh maybe people dislike things beyond just the idea of being 'haters'" and had critical opinions to share about the show.

The same sort of thing happens in video games. As years go on, more and more people get into gaming and they like everything and it all seems cool when suddenly: Holy crap! A new game! It takes place in space and has infinite planets and other players will be there with you! Then No Man's Sky is released and everyone hates it. A few years more of people getting into gaming then all of a sudden, wow a Cyberpunk game! From the people that made The Witcher! It's a full world and it has that actor that Reddit loves! And then Cyberpunk comes out and creates another group of cynical people.

It's a pretty dumb thought but if Season 8 killed the word "hater" maybe it was worth it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh the world we would be in right now if only at that fateful luncheon, when GRRM asked those two dipshits “Who is Jon Snow’s mother?”, David simply went “uuuuuh” and fell out of his chair and Dan at the same time blew a massive rear end ripping fart and stained both his pants and the seat with an ungodly torrent of liquid poo poo.

This writing...

...omg you’ve been GRRM all along!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Had kind of a dumb conversation the other day. In Discord, someone used the word "hater" unironically so we tore into him. After the ribbing was done, we said sorry and told him that it was funny that none of us had heard anyone use that word unironically in a long time. I'd always thought it was a dumb word on the level of "butthurt" or "triggered" but I noticed that yeah I hadn't heard the word in a long time either, but I used to see or hear it constantly on social media feeds. The last time I remember hearing it a whole shitload was during the days before the GoT normies finally gave in to the show being crap. The Battle of Winterfell happened so I saw lots of "Arya haters" comments. I heard lots of "Dany haters" nonsense up until The Bells. I think the word "hater" was used by a lot of normies who could appreciate even the smallest flecks of gold in the biggest turdpiles. These people showed up on Sundays for Thrones, got their week's entertainment, then went about their business, same for any other mediocre-to-bad entertainment in their lives. Then Season 8 started going on and on and suddenly even the normies with the shiniest eyes realized "oh maybe people dislike things beyond just the idea of being 'haters'" and had critical opinions to share about the show.

The same sort of thing happens in video games. As years go on, more and more people get into gaming and they like everything and it all seems cool when suddenly: Holy crap! A new game! It takes place in space and has infinite planets and other players will be there with you! Then No Man's Sky is released and everyone hates it. A few years more of people getting into gaming then all of a sudden, wow a Cyberpunk game! From the people that made The Witcher! It's a full world and it has that actor that Reddit loves! And then Cyberpunk comes out and creates another group of cynical people.

It's a pretty dumb thought but if Season 8 killed the word "hater" maybe it was worth it.

Different people use different words in different places and attacking someone for using a specific word (that is not a slur or something equivalent) is pretty childish.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah slang gatekeepers are a groady epic fail. Not based. Cringe and square. Like nipples on a breastplate.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I'm loving someone using the term normie unironically ranting about someone using the term hater.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

*unironically*

Hater

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm loving someone using the term normie unironically ranting about someone using the term hater.

Wasn't really a rant on the word, so much as I don't really hear it anymore when it used to be way more common.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 13, 2022

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah slang gatekeepers are a groady epic fail. Not based. Cringe and square. Like nipples on a breastplate.

Yeah I feel like a total derp after that post.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Wasn't really a rant on the word, so much as I don't really hear it anymore when it used to be way more common.
As a Certified Old ™ I think it fell out of favor after Taylor Swift kept using it in really mega-successful pop songs. When white girls start using an expression in the most mainstream formats that tends to put a date on things. Not sure why it's white girls, specifically, but it usually is.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

mind the walrus posted:

As a Certified Old ™ I think it fell out of favor after Taylor Swift kept using it in really mega-successful pop songs. When white girls start using an expression in the most mainstream formats that tends to put a date on things. Not sure why it's white girls, specifically, but it usually is.

I catch your drift. I also have lingering feelings after working for one of those aggregator sites where I had to hit "submit" on a lot of articles using the word for the 2016 election.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

PC Gamer on Elden Ring posted:

Martin hid bits and bobs of himself in the story, but the most direct thing is pretty on the nose, and the big movers and shakers, the dramatic primaries of the story, all have names that start with one of G.R.R.M.'s initials. Everyone carrying the eight named Great Runes has a name that starts with G, R, or M.

Godfrey marries Marika, and their children are Godwyn, Morgott, and Mogh. There's also Godrick, a later descendant. Rennala marries Radagon, and their children are Radahn, Rykard, Ranni, and Renna. Then Radagon marries Marika, and their children are Malenia and Miquella. 

Oh, sorry, I forgot Maliketh. He fits in there too, but I won't say where because that's spoilertown.

You lazy rear end fucker

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

mind the walrus posted:

slang gatekeepers

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah I feel like a total derp after that post.

Don't let the haters get you down when you are getting your hate on. They are just trying to step in on your hate game. Shameful.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

mind the walrus posted:

You could use 2 years after Shake it Off was released ( 2014 ), but I'm going to put it on the 2016 election and the rise of Donald Trump. Hater continues to be a commonly used word in the GOP rank and file. I'm going to say that once slang is adopted by 60+ crowd, it has reached peak saturation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I don't know but I bet someone in HBO is selling them on the basis that "look those Disney Star Wars shows are doing well despite the last movie being total poo poo, so..."

GoT was a literal goldmine for HBO and when the series ended they saw an absolutely massive drop in subscribers. They're praying these new shows get those people back and that they can churn out something to keep them all paying for HBO. When GoT ended HOB had nothing to offer to millions of people to keep them subscribed and so their revenue fell off of a cliff.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They absolutely do not look better because the show's trajectory made it clear the initial success of the series was in spite of them, not because of them. The less GRRM and others were involved and the more they ran things the dumber it all became.

Disney dropped them like a bad habit because they correctly realized "hey these guys are garbage and we shouldn't let them anywhere near Star Wars or any other IP we own."

nine-gear crow posted:

Considering the end of ADWD I suspect GRRM would've liked them even more than he did in the actual meeting. GRRM being amazed they knew who Jon's mother was is the same energy as Square Enix being shocked that people figured out Jack = Garland as soon as the first bit of info (and demo) for Stranger of Paradise was released.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The more Dan shat the thirstier GRRM grew.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Disney dropped them like a bad habit because they correctly realized "hey these guys are garbage and we shouldn't let them anywhere near Star Wars or any other IP we own."
Normally I don't like being this spiteful, but these asshats are the one time I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall of the pitch meetings they must have had where it was clear to the Mouse that these guys were not worth hiring. To quote the late William Hurt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNatmCHkI-Q

quote:

Considering the end of ADWD I suspect GRRM would've liked them even more than he did in the actual meeting. GRRM being amazed they knew who Jon's mother was is the same energy as Square Enix being shocked that people figured out Jack = Garland as soon as the first bit of info (and demo) for Stranger of Paradise was released.
That's honestly why I'm laughing so hard at D&D getting rightfully dropped like spuds. GRRM is an arrogant son of a bitch, but he did write some very strong novels once upon a time and he's good at playing "the game." D&D couldn't even manage that.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The only credit I'm willing to give D&D is that they had to have performed some kind of fair share of extreme cat herding to even get that show sold and made. Beyond that, they've always been awful writers. If you rewatch Season 1, you can see that there's some kind of gremlin wandering around the writing room, adding sexposition and bad dialogue. It gets even worse in season 2, gets dialed back in 3, and gets bad again in 4 and only gets worse. It becomes painfully obvious that they have a "style" that they like to write in.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The only credit I'm willing to give D&D is that they had to have performed some kind of fair share of extreme cat herding to even get that show sold and made. Beyond that, they've always been awful writers. If you rewatch Season 1, you can see that there's some kind of gremlin wandering around the writing room, adding sexposition and bad dialogue. It gets even worse in season 2, gets dialed back in 3, and gets bad again in 4 and only gets worse. It becomes painfully obvious that they have a "style" that they like to write in.

I'm not willing to give them credit for that because that was a consequence of their privilege by virtue of the connections their birthright entitled them to. I will however give them a pass on sexposition; that's not them. That gremlin in the room was HBO. Like didn't the writers of Rome and several other series say that HBO demands a certain amount of titty on screen?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm not willing to give them credit for that because that was a consequence of their privilege by virtue of the connections their birthright entitled them to. I will however give them a pass on sexposition; that's not them. That gremlin in the room was HBO. Like didn't the writers of Rome and several other series say that HBO demands a certain amount of titty on screen?

Never heard of that. I can see it being true. If your whole thing is that your show is rated M and it can have boob, put in boob.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I will however give them a pass on sexposition; that's not them. That gremlin in the room was HBO. Like didn't the writers of Rome and several other series say that HBO demands a certain amount of titty on screen?
Yeah, HBO's ultra-prestige stuff: Six Feet Under, The Wire, etc. can make you forget that even they (and The Sopranos) all had a loving ton of sleazy nudity. At first it was interpreted as a signal that this material wasn't afraid to be more risque, more mature, but by the time you get to the latter half of the 00s and GoT and it's very clearly a relic HBO had from the 90s when they were known primarily for pure sleaze like Taxicab Confessions and those "Sex Documentaries."

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, HBO's ultra-prestige stuff: Six Feet Under, The Wire, etc. can make you forget that even they (and The Sopranos) all had a loving ton of sleazy nudity. At first it was interpreted as a signal that this material wasn't afraid to be more risque, more mature, but by the time you get to the latter half of the 00s and GoT and it's very clearly a relic HBO had from the 90s when they were known primarily for pure sleaze like Taxicab Confessions and those "Sex Documentaries."

HBO has quietly removed all of it's actually adult content now, and did so while GoT was on the air, which I found kind of strange.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
People complain about the sexposition, but is that not accurate to the tone of GRRMs books? They are full of sex scenes and descriptions of titties.

I can see why people would oppose it but it is certainly bringing George's vision to the screen.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

:siren: :siren: :siren:THIS IS NOT THE DRILL, THE NEXT BOOK IS COMING OUT!!!:siren: :siren: :siren:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Is everything everyone wanted

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The only credit I'm willing to give D&D is that they had to have performed some kind of fair share of extreme cat herding to even get that show sold and made.

They didn't. They had connections due to their family and HBO was still in their "we need something to follow up The Sopranos" mindset so they were looking around for The Next Big Thing.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

People complain about the sexposition, but is that not accurate to the tone of GRRMs books? They are full of sex scenes and descriptions of titties.

I can see why people would oppose it but it is certainly bringing George's vision to the screen.

HBO aged up the characters* because in the books lots of characters are very under age. Danny's 13 or 14 in the first book and maybe 15-16 at most in ADWD? The Danny/Drogo scene in the book is exceptionally hosed up and vile far beyond what the show does.

*or let time do it for them in the case of Sansa and Arya, since they're both young children in S1 and by the later seasons the show just kinda goes with "well the actresses are 18+ now, so..."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gurm is leaning so hard into these pointless prequels at some point we're gonna get a scene explaining the origin of the name Aegon, turns out it's because he had Egg on his face this one time, which is also foreshadowed through Dunk and Egg, it's like poetry, etc.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Thanks, I hate it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

a drill

It's "a" drill

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Libluini posted:

a drill

It's "a" drill

Sorry, my brain must have been shutting down as a defense mechanism when I made the post.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every time I think I've reached a new stage in embracing shamelessness as a tool to live my best life, the fat man proves that there are truly deeper depths to plumb.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

They didn't. They had connections due to their family and HBO was still in their "we need something to follow up The Sopranos" mindset so they were looking around for The Next Big Thing.

HBO aged up the characters* because in the books lots of characters are very under age. Danny's 13 or 14 in the first book and maybe 15-16 at most in ADWD? The Danny/Drogo scene in the book is exceptionally hosed up and vile far beyond what the show does.

*or let time do it for them in the case of Sansa and Arya, since they're both young children in S1 and by the later seasons the show just kinda goes with "well the actresses are 18+ now, so..."

Even GRRM acknowledged he should not have made the kids that young, it's an artifact from when the books were to span a much longer time (and they did, just not in universe)

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 17, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

Even GRRM acknowledged he should not have made the kids that young, it's an artifact from when the books were to span a much longer time (and they did, just not in universe)

bullshit. it turns him on we all know it

call it damage control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is kind-of true. It's like how eventually you take some weeb out of the anime and they have to realize "like so wait you're telling me that most people don't chase media starring teenagers who look like small children well into adulthood?" Normalization lensing is a hell of a thing. GRRM just did the more archaic Boomer highbrow version of " :goonsay: it's more realistic :goonsay: "