Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you're an economist on a vicky game you're exiled to st. helena when development ends so that nobody can learn your secrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jazerus posted:

if you're an economist on a vicky game you're exiled to st. helena when development ends so that nobody can learn your secrets

Nah, if we've learned anything from EVE-Online you return home to become Prime Minister to oversee the worst economic crisis in your lifetime because anything else wouldn't be a challenge! :black101:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nah, if we've learned anything from EVE-Online you return home to become Prime Minister to oversee the worst economic crisis in your lifetime because anything else wouldn't be a challenge! :black101:

Or go from Team Fortress 2 to Greece's economics ministry as the euro crisis hits!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1503747867638317056

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1504110237992701964

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seems weird that the goods (sulfur) would be imported from somewhere where it has a high price to one where it has a low price.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Presumably in this scenario the texans want sulfur to make gunpowder, what with the war.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I too do not understand how any of that works out.

e; economics working as designed.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 16, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Presumably in this scenario the texans want sulfur to make gunpowder, what with the war.

Shouldn't the price be higher though in the Texan market? Otherwise the importer is taking a huge loss.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Buying the dip on sulfur is always a sure bet

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought the tooltip is pretty clear. The current price in texas is 50 while the current price in the USA is 53. Texas needs sulfur bad, but it looks like the USA also badly needs it as both markets have high prices. USA's price is higher but it might still be the best option for Texas. The tooltip then shows that after the import deal the price of Sulphur in texas will drop by half down to 25 and the price in the USA will go up. This is an extremely good deal for the USA but Texas wouldn't be doing it unless they had a fairly critical need to get its domestic price for sulfur down. Specially if they're using that resource for military needs as part of an upcoming war plan, they're not going to get to be too picky about prices.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I thought the tooltip is pretty clear. The current price in texas is 50 while the current price in the USA is 53. Texas needs sulfur bad, but it looks like the USA also badly needs it as both markets have high prices. USA's price is higher but it might still be the best option for Texas. The tooltip then shows that after the import deal the price of Sulphur in texas will drop by half down to 25 and the price in the USA will go up. This is an extremely good deal for the USA but Texas wouldn't be doing it unless they had a fairly critical need to get its domestic price for sulfur down. Specially if they're using that resource for military needs as part of an upcoming war plan, they're not going to get to be too picky about prices.

But why would the price in Texas drop below the price in America, wouldnt that price (plus transportation inefficiencies) be an effective floor for the price after importation? Or is that market price difference coming out of the state's coffers as part of the import deal.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arrath posted:

But why would the price in Texas drop below the price in America, wouldnt that price (plus transportation inefficiencies) be an effective floor for the price after importation? Or is that market price difference coming out of the state's coffers as part of the import deal.

I think the read there is, due to Texas buying up the sulfur via the import deal, it decreases the domestic price (added supply, lower price to clear) and increases the foreign (American) price (reduced supply, higher price to maintain). Basically, it becomes cheaper in Texas due to the contract being in place and slightly more expensive for America, though presumably America benefits in some way (lump sum payment, upkeep, supply of an alternative good, or simply it's the long game of increasing the size of industries of which sulfur is a component).

It's a little unclear exactly what it means at present, but this is my best guess.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think the read there is, due to Texas buying up the sulfur via the import deal, it decreases the domestic price (added supply, lower price to clear) and increases the foreign (American) price (reduced supply, higher price to maintain). Basically, it becomes cheaper in Texas due to the contract being in place and slightly more expensive for America, though presumably America benefits in some way (lump sum payment, upkeep, supply of an alternative good, or simply it's the long game of increasing the size of industries of which sulfur is a component).

It's a little unclear exactly what it means at present, but this is my best guess.

So, the Texan government's buying sulphur and then dumping it on the market at a loss so they can get more ammo made?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well it wouldn't be a Vicky game if people understood what the gently caress is going on with the economy.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

kw0134 posted:

Well it wouldn't be a Vicky game if people understood what the gently caress is going on with the economy.

It's more historic this way too. "Poking at a black box based on vibes" is basically the economic policy that saw Britain return to the gold standard in the 1920s

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In the late 1910s and early 1920s Norway enacted what has come to be known as "parity politics" (paripolitikk), which involved deliberately deflating the currency because wartime inflation was bad for people who had saved up money, and temperance was a virtue, and virtuous behaviour should not be punished. Turns out, deflation is extremely bad for your economy, especially if a large chunk of your municipalities have previously taken out huge loans to pay for hydroelectric dams. Oh and I think they also wanted to do it to restore the currency to its prewar state, so they'd be able to reintroduce the gold standard, like the Brits. Good ideas all around.

Luckily these policies had died out by the end of the decade just in time for oh my god what just happened to the stocks

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Friend Commuter posted:

So, the Texan government's buying sulphur and then dumping it on the market at a loss so they can get more ammo made?

That's the part I'm not sure about. There's a lot of ways they could do it, it could be that they're guaranteeing a certain quantity ordered, which isn't necessarily buying at a loss but could cause a loss if it goes unused. Another way to think about it is as a state subsidy to the import, which reduces the business cost of the sulphur, increasing the quantity demanded by things such as ammunition factories.

If the means of economic trading are moddable, if import contracts could be conducted in a huge variety of ways, Vicky 3 could truly be the best economic sandbox.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1504503076224442370

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

This economic system is starting to sound like some over complicated, impenetrable garbage.

In other words, absolutely perfect

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Is this something that actually happened in the states? Seems like it would require export controls on Texas's part and still be easier money for smugglers

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

PDJR_Alastorn posted:

quote:

In the Twitter Teaser Sulfur had a higher price in the US market, but still exported into the Texan Market. How does the Trade Center make a profit if the good its buying has a lower price at the goods destination then its source? Wouldn't the trade center lose money from the goods it's trading? and if so why would the traders continue trading?

So, didn't see the teaser until now and yes looking at those numbers it seems like that would be a loss/loss trade (assuming that its not a bug that the 53 and 59 are reversed and thats where the profit is in the marginal revenue - Entirely feasible the game is under development after all and bugs are common). Took me awhile to answer this one only because I had to go back and run some marginal revenue calculations to assume I wasn't going crazy because its late here and I am tired.

But lets assume that the trade is unprofitable, well that means there isn't profit to go to the trade centers, which means that they are conducting this trade at a loss. Now this loss may wash out in the many other profitable trades the trade center is conducting. Regardless to some degree this means that less profit is at the trade center, which means salaries are lower because profits are lower - if this was the only trade route well salaries would dry up - pops would look elsewhere for jobs and as a result of not being able to staff your trade center the trade route would not deliver goods.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The part that doesn't make sense to me is how the price in the texan market ends up at 25. That doesn't make any sense at all

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

The part that doesn't make sense to me is how the price in the texan market ends up at 25. That doesn't make any sense at all

I still need to read the dd, but my only guess is the state eating the difference to help the industries out? If such a thing is possible.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im excited to be this confuse too when I play the actual game

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Could Texas be subsidizing sulfur? So the consumer pays 25 and the state pays extra? Or maybe theres a guaranteed shipment treaty, where X sulfur must be provided to texas, whether its profitable or not?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It is realistic for Texas to be an economic basket case that goes bankrupt, btw :v:

Are you a bad enough dude to salvage your racist failed state by piracy and slave smuggling?

e: are you a bad enough dude to win the second revolution and found the República Popular Gay de Espacia y Texas?

It's going to be amazing on release when we're all trying to found utopias and ending up becoming Stalins

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 18, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

The state subsidising the cost is the only option which barely makes sense, but even then locals would presumably buy it all and ship/smuggle it all back to the rest of America where it's 3x the price.

quote:

But lets assume that the trade is unprofitable, well that means there isn't profit to go to the trade centers, which means that they are conducting this trade at a loss. Now this loss may wash out in the many other profitable trades the trade center is conducting. Regardless to some degree this means that less profit is at the trade center, which means salaries are lower because profits are lower - if this was the only trade route well salaries would dry up - pops would look elsewhere for jobs and as a result of not being able to staff your trade center the trade route would not deliver goods.

This seems wrong to me, the trade won't (irl) (outside of weird shocks) stop because people lose their jobs as traders, it'll stop because traders won't import goods which they know to be extremely unprofitable. They know they're better off sitting on their rear end all day then paying 80 and selling for 25.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 18, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Victoria 3: We're all trying to found utopias and ending up becoming Stalins

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'd like to aspire to be at least slightly less awful than Stalin, even with the need to be ever vigilant against the mutitude of enemies of the revolution

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's a Paradox game, so the typical player here will bring the fruits of universal prosperity and equality to all the oppressed masses of the world. One way or another :black101:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I hope that they get the balance of "hard but rewarding" right when it comes to overthrowing capitalism or whatever, otherwise it's going to take the fun out of it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I hope I feel like somewhat of a bad person regardless of what path, just with the option to go full "drat bro"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I hope I feel like somewhat of a bad person regardless of what path, just with the option to go full "drat bro"
Here it is. Hard facts from the leader you are. You once tried to fabricate a claim on your neighbor and were caught. You held a fledgling nation by the arm and kept her in your empire against her will. That's right, these are not flights of fancy. These are *real deeds*, emerging from the darkness of your past. You tried centralizing your empire but ended up committing genocide. And above all, you let life defeat you. All the gifts your country gave you, all the love and patience of your people, you drowned in capitalism. You let misery win. And it will keep on winning till you die -- or overcome it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

On that note I recommend that everyone play Suzerain, game's good

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

distortion park posted:

The state subsidising the cost is the only option which barely makes sense, but even then locals would presumably buy it all and ship/smuggle it all back to the rest of America where it's 3x the price.

In this case, I think that the goal is the state buys subsidized sulphur to guarantee a supply, sells it cheap to ammo factories to encourages their construction and ensure that stuff gets made, and then factories sell the finished ammo back to the state for more profit than smuggling.

The state gets robbed on both ends, but that’s what they get for being desperate.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think it would make way more sense for the price of ammo to go up because the state is buying and since the factories are selling for a higher price they can handle the higher sulfur prices. Subsidizing sulfur to get more ammo sounds wasteful because all of the other sulfur-using industries will benefit as free riders.

Also ammo should be a basic requirement for Texas POPs like food and clothes.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 18, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can't wait for the modern day mod where F150 King Ranch and Lift Kit are necessities for Texan and Dixie pops

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I think it would make way more sense for the price of ammo to go up because the state is buying and since the factories are selling for a higher price they can handle the higher sulfur prices. Subsidizing sulfur to get more ammo sounds wasteful because all of the other sulfur-using industries will benefit as free riders.
Yeah, it seems like it might make more sense for the military budget to determine the price the state will be willing to pay, and then the capitalist AI how much of that good they can offer at that price. So like, instead of the slider being for the budget, it'd instead be for the proportion of goods you can buy with that budget* - the 50% price point for example being when you can cover 50% of the goods to keep your military in perfect running order. A price point that might only be a little less than getting 100% for some goods, while for others the price changes significantly at certain break point depending on supply, though obviously doubling the volume would result in a little over twice the total cost.

*Maybe one slider to determine your max budget, another for determining your supply goal, just so you don't have to constantly fiddle with it to prevent your country from suddenly spending far more money than you intended to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

RabidWeasel posted:

On that note I recommend that everyone play Suzerain, game's good

Correct. If you want a CYOA about guiding your fictional roughly 1950s European nation out of dictatorship, reforming its political and economic systems, deciding between alignment with the East or West vs staying nonaligned, and (end game possibility) possibly fighting off an invasion from your neighbor depending on your alliance and military choices, you’ll love Suzerain.

I’m always a big cheater when it comes to these games, and played with unlimited budget and personal funds, and still had a great time without spoiling my sense of achievement.