Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
life is too short to play cookie cutter open world games like horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you like the driving in Grand Theft Auto, wait'll you try Grand Theft Auto 3!

(It's a p cool game!)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I haven't had the patience to finish any rear end Creed game since the first one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

echinopsis posted:

dirt rally 2 is well over 100gb

a lot of it feels like just poor optimisation and devs making unique content for the tracks hand over fist

dirt rally 2 is very good tho. shame i’m poo poo at it

I swear grand theft auto has the best 3rd person car camera angle and action. nothing else is as good

A lot of it is good optimization (for consoles that still store their games on spinning rust). If you have an asset like a lamp post or something, that's going to be duplicated dozens of times in the game data, so that whatever segment of the level the player is loading in to will still load in one sequential disk read.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

I think they’re worthwhile to experience them, just put them down when you’ve had enough rather than completing them out of some weird sense that you’re not a true gamer unless you suffer to finish something you stopped having fun doing ages ago

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that and the plot's pretty good

well the bits about the old ones & their fates are good, anyway gently caress Ted Faro

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

I think they’re worthwhile to experience them, just put them down when you’ve had enough rather than completing them out of some weird sense that you’re not a true gamer unless you suffer to finish something you stopped having fun doing ages ago

that’s one of the problems with them, though. they’re built to keep you engaged even if you’re not enjoying it.

Ghost of Tsushima remains the most mediocre games I’ve ever platinumed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

if i'm not going to be interested in it enough to want to see the ending then i probably won't play it for more than an hour or two

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

if i'm not going to be interested in it enough to want to see the ending then i probably won't play it for more than an hour or two

that’s ok tho, often the first hour or so, while the mechanisms of the game are being revealed are the most fun

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I’m glad that style does it for you but I had more fun in a 4-hour play thru of severed steel than the many more hours I put into assassins creed odyssey. there’s nothing there besides several skinner boxes worth of repetitive mechanics

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

took a week off elden ring, finally beat radahn

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

radahn is a fuckre and i haven't beat him yet

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i get pretty bored of the open world games too, most of them are a mile wide and an inch deep

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I beat him last night, last hit was a staggered counter it was completely sick. so good you can chat with your bros afterwards, what a boss

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

I beat him last night, last hit was a staggered counter it was completely sick. so good you can chat with your bros afterwards, what a boss

step bro in the case of alexander

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

jesus WEP posted:

radahn is a fuckre and i haven't beat him yet

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think I found my forever weapon in (late mid- game location) volcano manor it’s going to be very hard not using bloodhound claws/shadow quickstep in future playthroughs

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

i get pretty bored of the open world games too, most of them are a mile wide and an inch deep

You should try out the Yakuza games if you like beat em ups. I think they're a good example of what an "open world" game should be.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just beat margit and found out he's not even a "real" boss. lol. welcome to dark souls!!

was i supposed to be able to cast a spirit summon during that fight? i've been wanting to use this ever since i got the ability and it's always greyed out, including for this fight. idk if i'm doing something wrong but i definitely have the fp to afford the cast

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you can cast spirit summons only when you see the blue tombstone looking icon on the left of the screen. usually shows up in boss arenas or outdoor areas with a lot of enemies.

if you’ve recently summoned it, you wont be able to again in the same area. or if you have one of the fingers activated that looks for co-op help, you cant use it either

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

also I would argue that margit is a real boss, he is unique enough that he qualifies imo. there’s a bunch of minor “bosses” that are just tougher reskinned enemies that you encounter in the world. he’s just not one of the lords or whatever for the story

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the only platinum trophies i have are for telltale games which you just get for finishing all the episodes lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

More like Smellfail Games

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 19, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gottem

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You should try out the Yakuza games if you like beat em ups. I think they're a good example of what an "open world" game should be.

also gta except sure you’ve all played it already

san andreas was life changing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Radahn is a fucker and a terrible boss fight tbh

Fromsoft agrees with me at least partially because they nerfed him somewhat in the latest patch even though this wasn't specifically called out in the patch notes.

as for Margit he's there to make you go away and do something else in the wider game world for a while. Come back when your pointy stick is +3.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

talking of which is there a vendor that sells unlimited smithing stones[1] because I can't get anything past +3 ATM as I need 6 of the stupid things

e: oh that's what the bell things are

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I got to Renala's second phase and instantly got hyper beemed to death. I don't want to fight here, wish I could travel the world instead telling everyone about the darkness of her night or w/e like she says

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

distortion park posted:

I got to Renala's second phase and instantly got hyper beemed to death. I don't want to fight here, wish I could travel the world instead telling everyone about the darkness of her night or w/e like she says

my summon was helpful here keeping her distracted while i rolled then range attack

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

distortion park posted:

Rennala has the poise of wet toilet paper. Be aggressive, use light attacks, and the wolves summon. Scarf down some spell resist liver.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Sapozhnik posted:

Radahn is a fucker and a terrible boss fight tbh

Fromsoft agrees with me at least partially because they nerfed him somewhat in the latest patch even though this wasn't specifically called out in the patch notes.

i got to Radahn a day or two after the nerf and it took about an hour. he has a few attacks that are absolute bullshit bad luck, but i found it manageable. I'm curious how bad it was pre-nerf

the fight did finally get me to open the crafting menu and figure out how to heal the horse without getting knocked off

also took me a good 20 minutes to realize those were all summon signs, not messages left by other players around the battle

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Radahn left a really sour taste in my mouth but ER redeemed itself afterwards with the capital city, I thought that was pretty nice. The boss battle at the end (not the middle, although that's a refreshing palate cleanser) is also my favorite one in the game so far, very flashy and engaging while only being a little bit cheap. Also there's a free NPC summon at the fog gate. Accept their help. It does make the fight a little bit easier but it's worth it for the spectacle of it all.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just wish I could fly around in the world in VR

that games sense of scale and wonder and just the utter vibe is unlike anything I’ve played. really feels like an afterlife not just a different world like skyrim

also when is skyrim 2 coming out?
i’m glad the devs for skyrim 2 will play elden no ring and steal ideas from it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bethesda is bringing out starfield this year so i guess like another 2-3 years for the next elder scrolls?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm bummed that starfield won't be on ps5

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why do they even make games for the PS5 when no-one has one and it's been discontinued?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
c james s: grabbed 'nox' for $1.50 from gog because it's supposed to be good i guess, need some escapism so i'm gonna try it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i loved nox, but haven’t played it in probably 20 years. it was extremely fun and satisfying but no idea how well it holds up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

one of the first c&c games had a nox teaser vid but i never actually played it. teaser made it look cool, at least