Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Does anyone know if Lost Ark has the same type of team doing bug fixes for it, or did they retain the original development team?

Reason I'm asking is daylight savings broke a bunch of the quests since a lot of quests are "start at X time". They patched it twice and last I checked (which was > 24 hours ago) it was still broken and I'm beginning to get a little suspect.

I can see how it could be a complicated fix because some players use it and some don't, and those players are playing on the same servers, but then again, I don't know anything about game development.

Lost Ark is proving to be the MMO that gets my interest, but I also have a strong affinity for the Diablo format. But I'm concerned with it in Amazon's hands.

Sniped, so added my favorite post from the last page:

Discospawn posted:

The New World Reddit has continued to get more bleak over the past few days, to the point that it almost seems a little maudlin when they act as though New World's failure has been uniquely devastating. Perhaps the craziest thing about New World's downfall is that it hasn't been much of an outlier compared to what established, AAA studios did with the past holiday release cycle.

Battlefield 2042
A colossal failure, rejected by the franchise's established community without picking up any new fans, and is currently 1 of the most poorly reviewed AAA Steam games of all time. There's too much absurdity to summarize here, but it's a great YouTube rabbit hole to go down if you want to track the course of the game's downfall.
Steam review score: 28% recommended lifetime, 13% recommended in the past 30 days
Maximum concurrent player count: 105,000
Highest count in the past 2 weeks: 2,900 (actually less than all previous Steam entries of the franchise: Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, & Battlefield 5)

Halo Infinite
A Free-to-Play, multiplayer-only title with a surprise launch date (ahead of the full-price single-player campaign) as the first new Halo game on PC in half a decade, it was unsurprising that it attracted tons of players in it's first week. But the game's progression/battlepass system was abysmal, there were fundamental disconnects between what players wanted and what the developers thought they could get away with, and (at least on PC) the community quickly realized the netcode, matchmaking, and anti-cheat systems the game used were insufficient for a non-console release. It reviewed better than Battlefield, but it's player drop-off is drastically worse because the game is still 100% free-to-play and the Steam community has decided they'd still rather pass at that price point.
Steam review score: 76%, 58% (with some variability due to whether you trust Steam's new attempt to prevent the effects of review-bombing)
Max count: 270,00
2 weeks count: 17,000

Call of Duty: Vanguard
The latest annual release of the franchise is harder to judge because it's only sold on Battle.net, so there's no publicly available numbers to measure it against. But all signs have pointed to the game being rejected by every segment of it's community (casual multiplayer, tactical multiplayer, zombies mode, single-player, etc.), and they have acknowledge in investor calls that the game did not meet expectations. The game's performance was likely the reason they announced they'd be skipping a seasonal release of the franchise for the first time in over a decade.
Evidence: Largely hearsay and speculation, but it's another rabbit hole you can delve into if you look for the most popular CoD content creators and track their reaction videos from Vanguard's release & updates.

And of course, the entire history of the MMO genre is littered with dead bodies of large-budget games that failed horribly despite huge funding and an established pedigree of developers and IP. I still follow news about Fallout 76 and it's updates, because surprisingly that game still exists and has a small but loyal playerbase (but don't believe them if they try to convince you that Fallout 76 turned the game around like Elder Scrolls Online managed to).

All of this is to say, it's easy to imagine an internal presentation at AGS where some managers are trying to pitch the idea to Bezos that the game's floundering is proof that Amazon can make AAA video games that succeed just as well as established industry leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK SmileGate is pretty much doing all the backend work like that and Amazon handles the customer stuff / a few other odds and ends.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Update from not playing New World for two weeks: Life seems to be different. The days are brighter and warmer, the nights seem shorter.

I know what you’re thinking: that’s just spring you moron, but how do you explain spring starting as soon as I quit NW? Exactly. Your logic is flawed. Life is good.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Discospawn posted:

All of this is to say, it's easy to imagine an internal presentation at AGS where some managers are trying to pitch the idea to Bezos that the game's floundering is proof that Amazon can make AAA video games that succeed just as well as established industry leaders.

lmao the state of AAA publishing right now.

Discospawn, you're a hero. Please never stop posting.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Apparently they added action or skill queuing so you push a button to do said skill and then get cc'ed so you cant and maybe now you want to do something else since the situations changed but nope you're still doing the original thing you tried to do lmaoo

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

lol if it blocks someone from alt-f4ing out of that poo poo pile of a game

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There's a greataxe ability Maestorm that can be upgraded to absorb enemy projectiles. It's bugged and also absorbs friendly projectiles including heals. It's been in the game for months but doesn't show up in lists of known issues. Never seen that before.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/the-maelstrom-upgrade-for-ga-absorb-also-eats-allied-projectiles-as-well-as-enemies/676473

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I can’t wait to see what new and exciting ways the game is broken after they attempt to hastily add in a way to evaluate the origin of a projectile.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Player casts a projectile spell and immediately logs off. The projectile now has no master and is immortal, flying forever through stone and flesh, a new god born into the world.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

kedo posted:

Player casts a projectile spell and immediately logs off. The projectile now has no master and is immortal, flying forever through stone and flesh, a new god born into the world.

Knowing the game and object oriented programimg, I bet a projectile is an instance of a character, and inherited the full default Stat block.

Best bug ever if slow moving projectiles just start randomly traveling the world killing people who get to close

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can you swim yet?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

MarcusSA posted:

Can you swim yet?

To add more comedy, Star Citizen, which is supposedly running on the same engine, recently showcased "rivers" and it doesn't have swimming either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apparently swimming tech wasn’t part of the lumberyard fork they bought.

Shame.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

You know it would have been easy just to keep all the water on the continent knee level or lower and just kill you when you fall into deep water with a shark animation or something. Everyone would have been like "lol no swimming" but lots of games do that and nobody would have thought twice about it, but no, instead you walk across the bottom of the ocean in the most half-assed "we did the best we could" way imaginable.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ah, I remember when I went to run Dynasty Shipyard, accidentally vaulted over a railing, fell in the water, couldn't slow walk my way back to shore, died, and had to run all the loving way across the zone to get back to the dungeon entrance.

It was dumb of me, but New World sure is a game

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

FrostyPox posted:

Ah, I remember when I went to run Dynasty Shipyard, accidentally vaulted over a railing, fell in the water, couldn't slow walk my way back to shore, died, and had to run all the loving way across the zone to get back to the dungeon entrance.

It was dumb of me, but New World sure is a game

I almost did this; got back above water with less than a second to spare. The rapier attack animation gives no fucks about your desire to not leap off an edge, and in one dungeon fighting a boss it definitely went right off to death.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I cracked up laughing the first time I fell in water and my dude just scuttled along like fuckin Zoidberg or something

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Apparently swimming tech wasn’t part of the lumberyard fork they bought.

Shame.

They probably bought pre-made scripts for the every part of the game from database to animation to UI and have nobody on staff who can code anything from scratch.

Swimming shall forever be lostech to the AAA script kiddy developer otherwise known as Amazon Games Studios.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm still in awe of the action queue they "implemented".

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Didn't wow have a queue ages ago? Swimming? Good performance and all that?

How hard can it be for others to reimplement similar features competently?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All the good coders were lost in the inner sphere succession wars.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ihmemies posted:

Wow came with swimming right at launch, it sure as hell didn't come with the other two.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ihmemies posted:

RagnarokZ posted:

Wow came with swimming right at launch, it sure as hell didn't come with the other two.

"Ages ago" is still probably about right, there was an addon through....BC? WotLK? that would put your latency on your cast bar so that you could send a combination macro of "/cancel cast, /cast new spell" to cancel the spell cast on your local client and start the next cast, but the cancel+new cast would hit the server after the previous spell had already been completed.

The queueing being implemented in Cata would mean it was "only" a solved thing 12 years ago.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's amazing, the only other MMO I've seen that does the "walk along the bottom of the body of water until you die" is loving Horizons, AKA, Istaria, which is a preposterously bad game (that, in its concept stages, was absurdly ambitious to the point where it was obvious the devs had no idea what they were doing). Every other MMO has swimming or just doesn't allow you to enter water.

EDIT: Every other MMO that has water, obviously.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DancingShade posted:

All the good coders were lost in the inner sphere succession wars.

Well they may still fire the lowest preforming 10% each year. Only how the gently caress do you judge a good vs bad dev? Lines of code? Story points implemented?

My bet is that they fired so many coders each remaining top coder created a fiefdom to keep there own job safe, and that you could never put 2 top class coders together on a project since they would be ranked against each other.

This means you get running or swimming, but not both. Since the guy who knows how to add running wont work with the swimmer, and no one else knows how to judo the code together.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Nobody is allowed to learn from others and everybody must constantly reinvent the wheel.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Some of y’all have never played open world pvp with swimming and it shows. The pvp is better for not having another mechanic that always gets abused in pvp.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Some of y’all have never played open world pvp with swimming and it shows. The pvp is better for not having another mechanic that always gets abused in pvp.

Then don't build your world with all that dang water in some zones.

This is what happens when devs don't talk to level design.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

You can tell the world was designed with water as barriers…..

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So we've got this game engine that doesn't allow swimming, but let's set the game on an island. Surrounded by water.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
new world is only vaguely an open world pvp game, and judging by their road map they very much wish to move even further away from whatever this game could have been at one point

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

kedo posted:

So we've got this game engine that doesn't allow swimming, but let's set the game on an island. Surrounded by water.

Did you want to swim to another game world?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Constantly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

cosmicjim posted:

If it's on the table, yes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cosmicjim posted:

I'll just walk across the ocean floor to another game world.

Lumberyard is technically a descendant of ye olde cryengine. The very first cryengine game that ever released (Far Cry 1) shipped with swimming. First person swimming. An old (broken, poo poo) mmo by the name of Archeage that ran on I think cryengine 2.0 also had swimming. Plus naval combat, diving, etc.

Just to underline how manifestly incompetent AGS actually is. They simply don't have coders who can actually do what their qualifications claim they know how to do.

Oh your game engine in a box doesn't come with [minor common feature] that's okay, just add it in yourself. Oh you don't know how to actually do that? Oh. Ohhh.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 21, 2022

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I'll just walk across the ocean floor to another game world.

Lumberyard is technically a descendant of ye olde cryengine. The very first cryengine game that ever released (Far Cry 1) shipped with swimming. First person swimming. An old (broken, poo poo) mmo by the name of Archeage that ran on I think cryengine 2.0 also had swimming. Plus naval combat, diving, etc.

Just to underline how manifestly incompetent AGS actually is. They simply don't have coders who can actually do what their qualifications claim they know how to do.

Oh your game engine in a box doesn't come with [minor common feature] that's okay, just add it in yourself. Oh you don't know how to actually do that? Oh. Ohhh.

This is why star citizen had some moment of doing things. Because all the cry engine coders got swooped up into a new office so roberts had someone to work on the engine. And as such, I suspect that in a way, amazon is at the mercy of roberts for getting engine level coding done for them due to a lack of engineers for it.

This is the comedic part of cry engine really. Unlike unreal or unity, there really wasn't much people poking at cryengine that wasn't first party. So of course, you become at the mercy of that company to implement whatever you need it to allow. This is in contrast to unreal engine where it would be easy to build a studio with people that know how to work with that engine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They can’t figure out swimming in star Citizen either tbf

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

It’s all made stranger by the fact that New World had working swimming in early alphas.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Chakron posted:

It’s all made stranger by the fact that New World had working swimming in early alphas.

Um, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
There was probably a bug that let you swim out of the water and into the air and start flying around, so they removed the whole feature.