Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Small shops - any recommendations for in-office digital signage? Got a couple of TVs and the solution right now is a laptop in the server closet with an HDMI run to one of the TVs, and a mini workstation mounted behind another TV. I'd like something that's a one-time purchase and not subscription (someone recommended https://www.screenly.io/pricing/). Something like this https://pisignage.com/homepage/features.html looks good "on paper" but would love real world recommendation.

My ideal setup is the user doesn't have to stand up from their desk and push content (PPTX, JPEG, whatever) to either or both TVs. I feel like that's low stakes.

Low stakes snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I set up appspace at my last job and it worked pretty well. Editing is done on the web application. Their display app is solid and available on almost everything. Their free tier used to allow more devices though.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We use Concerto for a couple of displays where our older Black Box systems have died. Also looking at Xibo, heard good things but haven't used it personally yet. Both are free/open source.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Pi based systems are where they're at these days for displays.

I've used https://yodeck.com in the past and been happy, but it's monthly/yearly pricing. The do provide a free pi though with each sub.
(If you have your own Pi, you can hook up one screen for free "for testing" per account)

Finding a free system will usually entail you having to build and maintain a backend system to host it - something generally covered by the monthly fees.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Raspberry Pi-based systems might not be an option depending on when you need to have this ready for, have you seen the stock levels of them lately?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thanks Ants posted:

Raspberry Pi-based systems might not be an option depending on when you need to have this ready for, have you seen the stock levels of them lately?

I used an RPi based one, super duper easy. I forget what the “signage” OS I used was but it was up and running in 10 min. Never touched it except to change pictures it cycled

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CarForumPoster posted:

I used an RPi based one, super duper easy. I forget what the “signage” OS I used was but it was up and running in 10 min. Never touched it except to change pictures it cycled
They're not saying it'd be hard, obviously Pi appliances are generally only a notch or two harder than a game console to set up, but pointing out that it's ~impossible to get a Pi right now.

Even my local Microcenter where Pis were previously always available when I needed them in the past has had bare shelves in that section for months. They supposedly have a few 3As in inventory but the use cases where those fit are few and far between.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 23, 2022

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Alright I feel like I’m spinning in circles here.

I have devices in Intune and I have the Windows Remote Help installer pushed out as a deployed Win32 app. This is app is supposed to allow me as the admin to do a remote session with elevated privileges to help users install apps or whatever.

Except when the app opens the first time on the user’s device, it tells them they need to install a new version and THEY NEED ADMIN PRIVS to install it. So now I’m let no better off than before.

The support article for Windows Remote Help says the latest version is the one I’ve packaged up.

What gives?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks for the recs all.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah - I got tired of :f5: looking for them

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

I set up appspace at my last job and it worked pretty well. Editing is done on the web application. Their display app is solid and available on almost everything. Their free tier used to allow more devices though.

Thanks for this rec - it's working great over here.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The dinosaurs in charge think that this is easy:

• Procure 5TB consumer USB HDD.
  • Attach USB HDD to USB 2.0 port on server.
  • Fiddle with it for a day, call in help, finally get it formatted to something sensible that both ends can read.
  • Start copying data to it. Pray that it's big enough (Turns out TiB is different from TB, who would've thunk!)
  • Wait 30 hours.
  • It's now the weekend, nothing happens until Monday.
  • Ship the thing across the world with DHL. Pay through the nose.
  • It arrives at destination branch office. Pray that it happens Friday rather than Monday.
  • Copy the entire loving thing onto destination system. Should take about 30 hours.
  • Pray that it's not the weekend.
  • Pray the consumer disk survived the trip.
  • Do actual work.

Meanwhile, I'm clandestinely rsync'ing the data across. Don't underestimate a lovely connection running 24/7 for a week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was the data on the disk at least encrypted

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Deep in your heart, you already know the answer to that question.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Is it bad form or considered :filez: if I ask someone to help me out with obtaining some cisco firmware?

We have a bunch of Cisco Nexus switches (which were bought off ebay :wtf: ) that now need a firmware update because a bunch of vulnerabilities were fixed. However since they are ebay switches we don' have a cisco support account and the MSP we hired for hardware support of these things won't give us the files.

So now I'm down to asking other industry colleagues or the SA forums. Clearly I've reached my last vestiges of hope.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What switches? I can see if I have access.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also if they're all the same model then you can get the cheap software-only service option on one of them and use that to unlock downloads in future

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

GreenNight posted:

What switches? I can see if I have access.

PM sent! Thanks!

Thanks Ants posted:

Also if they're all the same model then you can get the cheap software-only service option on one of them and use that to unlock downloads in future

They're split between two models. Our MSP says that because it contains critical security fixes I can call TAC and provide them with the CVE and the URL for the Combined First Fixed and they will give me the firmware. But I really don't want to waste a day sitting on the phone with TAC trying to convince them to give software to someone without a support account only to be told to gently caress off. Dealing with Cisco TAC is a pain in the rear end when you have valid support.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Thanks Ants posted:

Phone issues are the worst to try and troubleshoot because people assume that it's just a phone so what can the problem be, they seem to really love their phones, and also they will just flat-out lie about the problem thinking that it will get fixed quicker. In reality, claiming that *everyone* is having a problem when it's three people just means that it takes longer to fix your issue as it fucks up the troubleshooting process.

I have to sit through a meetings next week where the ceo and my supervisors (a marketing person and a facilities person who can barely turn computers on) are going to yell at the ISP for all their sins for an hour when the truth of the matter is that most of them are based on users straight up lying. But there is no way it would be good for me to point out they are lying, so I have done my best to try and say we are having some uhh "training" issues that maybe the ISP can assist on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Is it bad form or considered :filez: if I ask someone to help me out with obtaining some cisco firmware?

I'm cool with it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Count down to the routers being counterfeit and the firmware bricking them somehow.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
So here's a question I've been dreading but have not the political capital to prevent... the guy who signs the checks at our sister company wants employee surveillance/nanny software put on all the work PCs (laptops mostly, around 30).

He's on that management kick of "they might be stealing time" and has tasked me and my partner to find a product that will take, at intervals, screenshots and some keystrokes to prove his fiefdom is "working properly."

Pretend it has to happen, full stop. Pretend it's written into policy and everyone's signed off on it.

Focusing on the product, I know some of you in this thread have experience with or cautionary tales of (beyond the obvious Orwell) technical problems.

Please help me make this suck less than it has to.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
I was at an MSP during the pandemic, and we had a lot of customers ask for this type of software as everyone shifted to remote work. We weren't partners and didn't resell any, but Teramind was our go-to recommendation. Although once customers realized how expensive this software was, they always backed off, so I don't actually have any experience deploying/managing it. https://www.teramind.co/product/price

At my place before that, we did have a couple of these, but they were on-prem based deployments that would only work if the PCs had access to the internal network, which in 2022 I can't imagine is a viable option.

It did help me get an rear end in a top hat fired when his google search history consisted of different variations of "how to permanently delete email from Outloook" (don't worry, all email was being archived at the mx level).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know you don't want to enter into a discussion on it but ethically I'd have to draw a line somewhere, and it would be before implementing that sort of system

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Nothing stopping me from having a discussion on it with Thants, and it's probably more intereting than house + privilege chat in the other thread.

I wouldn't work in an environment where my company provided laptop was taking screenshots all the time. But if it was explicitly documented and employees were warned, I dont think I would have a problem implementing such a system, in some crazy world where I could exempt myself. Seems like those two thoughts are at odds with each other. (I'm also privileged to be able to get another tech job if I draw a line and am asked to cross it).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The best you can do there if forced to implement is to do it so poorly and slowly the boss either forgets about it or fires you over it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tapedump posted:

So here's a question I've been dreading but have not the political capital to prevent... the guy who signs the checks at our sister company wants employee surveillance/nanny software put on all the work PCs (laptops mostly, around 30).

He's on that management kick of "they might be stealing time" and has tasked me and my partner to find a product that will take, at intervals, screenshots and some keystrokes to prove his fiefdom is "working properly."

Pretend it has to happen, full stop. Pretend it's written into policy and everyone's signed off on it.

Focusing on the product, I know some of you in this thread have experience with or cautionary tales of (beyond the obvious Orwell) technical problems.

For what it is https://www.activtrak.com/ was pretty boring and painless to implement. And in shocking news the same people who asked for it never seemed to ever log in and check it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

For what it is https://www.activtrak.com/ was pretty boring and painless to implement. And in shocking news the same people who asked for it never seemed to ever log in and check it.

seconding this (and the people who never login to look :lmao:). It's a wonderfully detailed metrics bound system that gives so MUCH useful data it sort of short-circuits the brains of managers. They check and see how long they're in SHITTY_INTERNAL_LEGACY_APP_THAT_DRIVES_REVENUE and click around a bit. Then, they end up giving up after their "feelings" aren't validated.

I would, however, fight loving tooth and nail to not do screenshots.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I would probably use my stock argument of "the equipment we buy is too crappy to run that and the poo poo they need to do in order to do their job" which is, generally true.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

activtrak ran on some pretty slow hardware, regrettably.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you for all the replies. I know it's hosed up. I knew it before I wrote the post asking. I'm being forced to provide options, and all our stuff is late-gen very capable stuff.

Beyond the "Well, gently caress those guys / that idea!" ideology, suggested options help, and I thank you.

I feel the "Well, better draw the line" ethos, but that would mean I'd stop getting a paycheck.

Please pretend I'm not happy about this, either, okay?

Thank you again to those providing options / trip reports.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tapedump posted:

Perhaps some of your existing technology can already scratch this guy's itch. For example, if you have Umbrella or some other DNS filtering thing, you can probably give reports on websites, and if he wants the list of all the people who are stealing his precious bandwidth to watch march madness then you can do that without screen shots.

If you have to do the screenshot and keystroke thing, please add Controlio to the list of solutions, just because of the name. I have a client that has it and "it's fine" according to them, no direct experience. As I recall they installed it only on specific machines "as needed".

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 24, 2022

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Oh I also had a client using CurrentWare and they said nobody ever checked it but when they opened it randomly it was working. Not sure if it does screen shots. Edit: it does do screen shots.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am the great Controlio!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

If you want to be a real rear end in a top hat you can get one of those things that randomly activates the webcam. Remember this thing? https://www.computerworld.com/article/2521075/pennsylvania-schools-spying-on-students-using-laptop-webcams--claims-lawsuit.html

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Just got an email from Meraki sales saying AP lead times are "only 55 days" lol. What a world.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean we've ordered some MS390's last year and the ETA is October.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm cool with it.

Thanks

CarForumPoster posted:

Count down to the routers being counterfeit and the firmware bricking them somehow.

They are real, my team lead used the cisco id from his previous job to get a previous firmware update. But I guess his previous company caught on and removed access because when he tried to do it this time it didn't work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used to YOLO it years ago by grabbing IOS images off whatever random FTP sites were in Google results, and then making sure the MD5 hashes matched. Not sure I'd do that these days.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been tasked with making a report email based on a certain type of ticket we have in our system (querying the postgres database directly). My company is cheap and does open source everything, mostly for being cheap rather than things being open source. So that means when I was tasked this, and wanted it to look nicer than a bash script outputting text, I was told to use Jaspersoft Studio Community Edition. This program looks like hot garbage, and hasn't been updated in years. There's got to be something better, but my DBA who's been working with this program for a while said he couldn't find anything. Please help me to not use this program, someone, I beg you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I used to YOLO it years ago by grabbing IOS images off whatever random FTP sites were in Google results, and then making sure the MD5 hashes matched. Not sure I'd do that these days.
I would still do this tbh, but with one more factor of verification. I prefer when I can find trustworthy hashes from two different algorithms but a trustworthy hash and a file size in bytes is good enough for most use cases. AFAIK all of the demonstrated collision attacks require the attacker to be able to inject significant amounts of arbitrary padding in to the bad file. If you're not worried about a nation-state level attacker a file that matches the size and hash is probably fine.