Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
What was the last great Savage match? I’m thinking it’s one of the DDP ones from 1997 but anything after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What was the last great Savage match? I’m thinking it’s one of the DDP ones from 1997 but anything after that?

It's the Las Vegas death match with DDP. Everything he did after that is really bad. No one is sure why his body just completely fell apart and he would then spend half of 98 on the shelf.

On a completely unrelated note on the same night as the Las Vegas death match he did this.

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1499087407072874497

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

vs. Harvey the Wonder Hamster on the Weird Al Show.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Bonesaw vs The Human Spider

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Silly Burrito posted:

Another cinematic match apologist, now we've gotta hear about how great the Boneyard was too!!!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's the Las Vegas death match with DDP. Everything he did after that is really bad. No one is sure why his body just completely fell apart and he would then spend half of 98 on the shelf.

On a completely unrelated note on the same night as the Las Vegas death match he did this.

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1499087407072874497

Jesus Christ, he's lucky he didn't do a double Sid Vicious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always remember that elbow drop he gave Little Naitch when Savage's hips were gone so the guy on the mat got all of it. It seemed like they'd have to get a broom and dustpan to collect Robinson.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I always remember that elbow drop he gave Little Naitch when Savage's hips were gone so the guy on the mat got all of it. It seemed like they'd have to get a broom and dustpan to collect Robinson.

He cracked several vertebrata and had a collapsed lung from it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Silly Burrito posted:

What a professional went out putting over the new talent.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't that lead to WCW "outlawing" the elbow drop? I think they did a similar thing with Kevin Nash after he nearly paralyzed The Giant with a jackknife powerbomb.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can't remember when it was, but that definitely happened. I remember hearing some interview with Kevin Nash where he said he didn't want them to ban the move because he didn't want anyone saying he didn't beat Macho fair and square.

JCW
Oct 22, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is kinda petty/niche question:

But did HHH ever do any good comedy wrestling in his career? And/or did he ever do any comedy where he was the one who was being made fun of?

Because I have always thought that one of the reasons that actors like Batista, The Rock, and Cena have such good comedy chops is that at hit's heart comedy is about timing, and being prepared to look the fool. Skills which most Pro Wrestlers have.

But HHH, he of the famous quote "Am I loving going over?" and 20 minute humourless opening promos doesn't seem to have that skill. And all the "comedy" poo poo he did with DX was basically him and Shawn pointing and laughing at another wrestler with schoolyard taunts of "Haha you're different/not as good as me. Haha you should feel bad!"

So I was wondering if, in his long career where he has at times done comedy, did he ever show his arse/get made fun of?

I just recently watched a recap on YouTube of the HHH vs Batista feud and the way HHH and Flair become total dweeb rear end losers was very funny IMO.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I keep reading that Will Osprey is a huge piece of poo poo. What did he do?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I keep reading that Will Osprey is a huge piece of poo poo. What did he do?

Reportedly blackballed a female wrestler from the biz for calling out one of his sex creep friends, and has generally been a dumb idiot regarding #speakingout.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

bartok posted:

Didn't that lead to WCW "outlawing" the elbow drop? I think they did a similar thing with Kevin Nash after he nearly paralyzed The Giant with a jackknife powerbomb.

To be fair to Nash Giant asked for that powerbomb and based it of the fact that Nash had done it easily before. Nash told him "Yeah that was before you spent a year eating hotdogs and drinking milk backstage, you're 75 pounds heavier now" and Giant told him to try anyway

for a question: what simple move does everyone judge a wrestler by? Mine is the clothesline. Lazy clotheslines are my pet peeve.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Critical posted:

To be fair to Nash Giant asked for that powerbomb and based it of the fact that Nash had done it easily before. Nash told him "Yeah that was before you spent a year eating hotdogs and drinking milk backstage, you're 75 pounds heavier now" and Giant told him to try anyway

for a question: what simple move does everyone judge a wrestler by? Mine is the clothesline. Lazy clotheslines are my pet peeve.

Mine is how you link stuff together, I love wrestlers where its not clear where one move stops and the other starts.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Critical posted:

Collar & elbow tie-up. Really can't stand a lazy tie-up, or when you transition immediately from a lazy tie-up into a lazy side headlock. Make me believe you're actually doing something.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Strikes are a big part of it for me. Some people, even smaller wrestlers, are just phenomenal with throwing elbows or kicks. But if you're not a good striker, or you pull your punches too much, trying to be a striker anyway just looks weak by comparison.

Believable pins and kickouts do a lot for me as well. Not to say every pin should be a big deal and have an epic last second kickout, but some people get really lazy with them. One of the ones that particularly bugs me is whenever someone pins an opponent with a rollup, and then visibly pushes the pinned wrestler away on the 2 count so they can roll out of it. It really breaks the immersion.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
was listening to old WOR mailbags (I jumble them all up but I think this one was from 2009?) and Dave is talking about unions in wrestling, and he said New Japan had a union. does anyone know if this is still the case? Or even ever was? I’ve never heard of anything like that

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think that was a joke about the NJPW/UWFi angle

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

sticklefifer posted:

Strikes are a big part of it for me. Some people, even smaller wrestlers, are just phenomenal with throwing elbows or kicks. But if you're not a good striker, or you pull your punches too much, trying to be a striker anyway just looks weak by comparison.

Believable pins and kickouts do a lot for me as well. Not to say every pin should be a big deal and have an epic last second kickout, but some people get really lazy with them. One of the ones that particularly bugs me is whenever someone pins an opponent with a rollup, and then visibly pushes the pinned wrestler away on the 2 count so they can roll out of it. It really breaks the immersion.

Agreed on strikes. Nothing takes me out of a match faster than awful worked punches. The 10 Punch Corner spot, in particular, lends itself to some stupid/unbelievable strikes from some wrestlers. Or someone who throws forearms that look like they’re just sorta shoving their arm in their opponent’s face.

Edit: here’s some classic bad punches, 3:00-onward, 4:20 for the good stuff

https://youtu.be/A95M1uCdruc

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 24, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Reportedly blackballed a female wrestler from the biz for calling out one of his sex creep friends, and has generally been a dumb idiot regarding #speakingout.

The blackballing thing got walked back later in some complicated and dramatic “oh no we never meant to imply that was Will getting her pulled from the show, our bad” thing from the promotion in question that I can’t remember all the details about because it was a mess.

Edit: found something about it

He remains a dumb idiot regarding pretty much everything though.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
he's british it's a safe bet to just write him off

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Did Will Ospreay ever say "I did not have Pollyanna blackballed"?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Did Will Ospreay ever say "I did not have Pollyanna blackballed"?

quote:

I would like to clear up that I’ve never been part of any group trying to “blacklist” anybody, to my knowledge she retired in 2016 while my post was is 2017. I’ve never spoken to any promoter about not having her on or around shows. I won’t lie to people and say we got along because we didn’t, thats normal in wrestling, some people will rub you the wrong way.

From this article, in which he also says some of the Dumb poo poo people dislike him for.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't know if he deleted the tweet but his apology to Pollyanna was probably the worst apology ever. It was two lines about her, and the rest was a self-hagiography about how much respect he had for women now and how much he had helped them.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
What are some examples of matches akin to the RVD-Cena match where one guy is just 100% blasted by the crowd the entire time?

I know Cardona's recent run has had some general reactions similar, though I haven't seen any of the actual in-ring stuff yet.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

FakePoet posted:

What are some examples of matches akin to the RVD-Cena match where one guy is just 100% blasted by the crowd the entire time?

I know Cardona's recent run has had some general reactions similar, though I haven't seen any of the actual in-ring stuff yet.

Bubba Ray Dudley at ECW Heatwave '99 springs to mind immediately. He could whip crowds into a near-riot state at his peak. New Jack in SWM as well, though it's hard to point to a single instance. Both for problematic reasons though; Bubba would say misogynist & homophobic stuff at the crowd, New Jack leaned heavily into the race-baiting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Bubba Ray Dudley at ECW Heatwave '99 springs to mind immediately. He could whip crowds into a near-riot state at his peak. New Jack in SWM as well, though it's hard to point to a single instance. Both for problematic reasons though; Bubba would say misogynist & homophobic stuff at the crowd, New Jack leaned heavily into the race-baiting.

I think Buh Buh's heat generating ability is hugely overrated in retrospect because at the time Dudley's promos were "lol did you hear what they said" not "WOW WHAT HEAT!" They were poo poo kids in high school laughed at, not got genuinely angry at.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ehh, depends on the crowd. In the ECW Arena, sure, it was all edgelord stuff. But he's provoked crowd attacks that security held back, gotten his tires slashed, had people take swings at him, etc.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Critical posted:

The thing where people move in a half circle around the ring and go for a collar and elbow tie up. A lot of people look like they have no clue why theyre doing the movement beyond thats how they always have done it and so they look stiff and awkward during the circling part.

Running to the rope or corner after being whipped to them is a close second.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

I was at the ECW show at the Staten Island sportsfest that rioted, and man Gertner worked the crowd into an absolute frenzy. I mean when you piss people off to the point that they think it's a good idea to cheap shot Big Dick Dudley of all people, that's something.

I'm trying to remember a wrestler who might have wrestled in CZW and ROH or at the very least in the east coast indies around 08-13. He was a really big guy, and the one thing I can definitely remember is that his tights had a curly mustache on it. I feel like his name might have been Sue, or some other common woman's name.

KarloffsSidekick
Apr 2, 2010

syzpid posted:

I was at the ECW show at the Staten Island sportsfest that rioted, and man Gertner worked the crowd into an absolute frenzy. I mean when you piss people off to the point that they think it's a good idea to cheap shot Big Dick Dudley of all people, that's something.

I'm trying to remember a wrestler who might have wrestled in CZW and ROH or at the very least in the east coast indies around 08-13. He was a really big guy, and the one thing I can definitely remember is that his tights had a curly mustache on it. I feel like his name might have been Sue, or some other common woman's name.

Marion Fontaine wore Care Bear tights with a big moustache. Was in Hybrid wrestling, was an old school wrestler with a comedy edge.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It wasn't difficult to "whip the crowd into a frenzy" when you call them homophobic slurs and threaten to rape their wives and minor daughters in Philadelphia in the nineties.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ganso Bomb posted:

Collar & elbow tie-up. Really can't stand a lazy tie-up, or when you transition immediately from a lazy tie-up into a lazy side headlock. Make me believe you're actually doing something.

Case in point

https://twitter.com/DaxFTR/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

The blackballing thing got walked back later in some complicated and dramatic “oh no we never meant to imply that was Will getting her pulled from the show, our bad” thing from the promotion in question that I can’t remember all the details about because it was a mess.

Edit: found something about it

He remains a dumb idiot regarding pretty much everything though.

That article is pretty bad. IWL never claimed that Will personally told them not to book Pollyanna. Original tweets:

https://twitter.com/intwresleague/status/1274740500675862528?s=21

So it was always second hand.

Here’s the tweet that people are taking as IWL changing their story:

https://twitter.com/IntWresLeague/status/1316782193113477121

As far as I know, nobody has ever provided any explanation for why Gary Vanderhorne would decide to blackball Pollyanna on his own. It’s possible he was close to Scott Wainwright, but nobody’s ever said that while trying to defend Ospreay.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hes right

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I think Buh Buh's heat generating ability is hugely overrated in retrospect because at the time Dudley's promos were "lol did you hear what they said" not "WOW WHAT HEAT!" They were poo poo kids in high school laughed at, not got genuinely angry at.

This is mostly true but the Heatwave crowd is ready to kill him by the time he's done. It'd be awesome if it wasn't such a gross segment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Critical posted:

I gotta agree on the clothesline! It's one of the things that, last I saw, WWE actually did well-in the sense that everyone does it a little differently and it says something about their character. (Including guys whose "clothesline" was a leaping elbow or whatever.)

I would also say the dropkick and the vertical suplex. American wrestlers in the 80s didn't really define themselves with an arsenal of unique moves, but you can watch "Top 10 Moves of [Flair/Steamboat/Savage/Roberts]" and see how they all put a unique spin on the same moves.

But for the most part I agree with what others have said: I'm into wrestlers who can actually tell a story with the setups and transitions. Like, I hate seeing chain wrestling that looks like the wrestlers are video game models acting out the same stock animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Critical posted:

Probably the only thing I care about are forearm exchanges with no sound. If you are going to use a lot of forearms and they either look or sound weak I'm not going to be very excited.