Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was kind of surprised that the roof didn't have hand rails around the edge or a requirement to be tied to something with a harness on. What are the laws in Canada for that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I was kind of surprised that the roof didn't have hand rails around the edge or a requirement to be tied to something with a harness on. What are the laws in Canada for that stuff?

Basically exactly what you're thinking. Linus was flagrantly breaking safety laws on camera.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Small business owner violating health and safety laws? Perish the thought.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

well why not posted:

It's meant to be fun. Don't get upset about it. They know it's stupid and not optimal. It's not meant to be perfect, it's meant to be fun, entertaining and a bit janky. There's a reason that their secondary branding colours are hyper pink and green. You just go along with poo poo being a bit wonky.

It’s classic Top Gear but computers.

I am the first person to make this observation, very wise, etc, lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gamers Nexus is proper classic Top Gear, Linus is current Top Gear, JayzTwoCents is Fifth Gear.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
LTT is more Grand Tour than current Top Gear.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In today's hardware news, Steve is saying they really enjoyed the Newegg RMA story, have learned a lot more about Artesian Builds, and will be doing a follow up along the same lines; they want to do more occasional journalism (his word) pieces like this every few months.

If it was anyone else I would be concerned, but instead I'm just excited? glad?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Arivia posted:

In today's hardware news, Steve is saying they really enjoyed the Newegg RMA story, have learned a lot more about Artesian Builds, and will be doing a follow up along the same lines; they want to do more occasional journalism (his word) pieces like this every few months.

If it was anyone else I would be concerned, but instead I'm just excited? glad?

It's about drat time someone did that

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'd watch that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Steve has said he's planning to periodically audit Newegg's return policies. He knows how to use family and friends to do that stuff anonymously so those should be good reports. Showing up at their door with a camera was just good old fashioned 6 o'clock news stuff.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I appreciate Steve's work and all but if I'm being real no online retailer measures up to newegg's combination of selection and pricing.

TopiaryX
Mar 7, 2014

njsykora posted:

Gamers Nexus is proper classic Top Gear, Linus is current Top Gear, JayzTwoCents is Fifth Gear.

Honestly, Gamer Nexus kind of gets on my nerves... not sure what it is... just can't watch him...

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

TopiaryX posted:

Honestly, Gamer Nexus kind of gets on my nerves... not sure what it is... just can't watch him...

He's a little too cynical and has the 'holier than thou' IT guy vibe.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm curious about the use of the Fresnel zone here, because typically it's desirable to have as little as possible be in it depending on what part of the spectrum you're in - let alone trees, buildings, or the ground in the forms of hills or mountains.

I have an acquaintance who I took CCIE classes with, who spent years maintaining and building radio chain links for all the summer houses along the Danish coast, because a lot of them can't get fiber or even anything beyond DSL over poorly maintained copper that needs lots of signal attenuation, so while I refuse to ask him to watch something I won't, I can pretty confidently say that it absolutely can work - if you're not incompetent.

Getting 10/10Gbps and peering at an IX isn't nearly as much of an issue as I think you're making it out to be - the biggest cost by far is getting the cable run sorted if archive.org can manage it for a 100Gbps ring around most of downtown San Francisco(*), I'm sure LTT can manage it whereever in Canadia they're based.

*: Jonah Edwards at The Internet Archive did a presentation on their infrastructure a while ago, and it contains a bit of the story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neBeDgICOeA

Fresnel zone in 60GHz is very small. Beamwidths of 1 degree.

This is just paid advertising. If they had a network team, or a wireless person they can lean on they would pickup a pair of Siklu Etherhaul 8010’s in 80GHz and have a real 10Gb full duplex radio.

Even better, I’m almost certain that there would have been some conduit run between both buildings. Just fish thru some fibre and throw a couple 10Gb SFP+ on it and bingo bango bongo.’

60GHz is very bad for rain attenuation. With that short hop between buildings it will probably be fine, but when you extend it past 1KM you’ll get hard fluctuations in signal which will modulate the speed on your radio down to below 1Gb/s to compensate for bit errors.

Having worked with Ubiquiti for almost 15 years now in my career I can guarantee if you tried to iperf that thing in both directions at the same time you wouldn’t get even the 5 gig down 5 gig up that you are advertised. Ubiquiti also loves to fluff it’s numbers by saying you have a 10Gb Radio! Just don’t try to use upstream and downstream at the same time.

Not to mention this install is loving trash. If you wanted a reliable stable link, you run DC and Fibre to this thing, make sure you ground the radio, your surge protection happens back in the building where you also ground your DC cable, and the diameter of the pipe they put it on is too small.

Edit: Jesus christ this radio is 1000 euros each and is in “early access” which is ubiquiti’s test release area, not stable.

These are half the cost and do a better job of what they deployed. https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/cnwave/60-ghz-cnwave-v3000/

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 19, 2022

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

mewse posted:

LTT has an insane internet uplink, I think they've talked about it before where they've got a direct fiber link to the Vancouver interchange so that they can support floatplate etc.

I can’t find any ASN for them so I would assume they just have internet transit. I doubt they spent the money on a wavelength all the way to VanIX if they’re not bgp peered.

Edit: I watched their old video about upgrading to 10Gb and they’re purchasing a wave thru https://itel.com who is purchasing from Telus or Shaw to physically get to VanIX. Then they buy 6 gigs of internet transit from urbanfibre.

So I’m wrong, they did waste a bunch of money on a wave with no use for it because they’re not bgp peering.

Big spenders.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 19, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

Fresnel zone in 60GHz is very small. Beamwidths of 1 degree.
Even if it's very small, the diameter is still more than the distance from the middle of the rig and down to the surface of the roof.
Here's a fairly naive plot, made using heywhatsthat.com:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lurker2006 posted:

I appreciate Steve's work and all but if I'm being real no online retailer measures up to newegg's combination of selection and pricing.

Steve said as much, that the reason he's doing this is because he used to use Newegg back in the day because it was a great place to buy things and to see how far it's fallen is super disappointing. I know "keeping people accountable" is a bit of a meme and joke lately but in this instance it seems to be his motive.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

lurker2006 posted:

I don't get it. What is your point?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

lurker2006 posted:

I only recently realised how lucky we are in the UK to still have a decent retail choice; PC Part Picker lists 18 retailers. Somehow Amazon hasn't squashed them all.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Pablo Bluth posted:

I only recently realised how lucky we are in the UK to still have a decent retail choice; PC Part Picker lists 18 retailers. Somehow Amazon hasn't squashed them all.

Amazon is wank for PC parts in all of europe.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's quite depressing to look at PCPartPicker in america a lot of the time. We have Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and B&H Photo as our most viable options, with smaller stores like MemoryC and Adorama sometimes showing up but never as the cheapest option. And each of our four viable options suck rear end in their own ways. For most of the items catalogued there, we get only two or three choices, with Newegg usually being the cheapest, or sometimes Amazon.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wibble posted:

Amazon is wank for PC parts in all of europe.

In Italy they are one of the best for availability on 12gen intel, going to other standard retailers means getting months of wait for parts.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's quite depressing to look at PCPartPicker in america a lot of the time. We have Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and B&H Photo as our most viable options, with smaller stores like MemoryC and Adorama sometimes showing up but never as the cheapest option. And each of our four viable options suck rear end in their own ways. For most of the items catalogued there, we get only two or three choices, with Newegg usually being the cheapest, or sometimes Amazon.

Odd that Microcenter doesn't show up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Odd that Microcenter doesn't show up.

Because micro center does very little shipping. Most of the important components are in-store only.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Because micro center does very little shipping. Most of the important components are in-store only.

It’s this.

Also, microcenter is almost always cheaper if you can physically get down there. And they’ve got tons of oddball poo poo. It’s rare they don’t have something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

And since most of Newegg's deals use promo codes, Amazon doesn't price match them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Please microcenter, move into some old Frys locations 🥺

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s this.

Also, microcenter is almost always cheaper if you can physically get down there. And they’ve got tons of oddball poo poo. It’s rare they don’t have something.

The closest microcenter is three hours from me, but you bet your rear end I've driven across the state to shop there for everything from buying expensive core components to "holy poo poo I need liquid metal right now."

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The one good thing I will say about modern Newegg is that the website allows a lot of useful filters when performing searches. If I want to find a video card with, for example, three HDMI outputs, I will be able to narrow down the options using Newegg. Amazon's search facilities are worse than useless. The more specific you try to make the search, the more irrelevant products come back in the results. Ebay has really good search options too.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m glad there’s 3 micro centers easily accessible to me.

They used to ship before the pandemic I think. Wonder why they won’t start again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Charles posted:

Please microcenter, move into some old Frys locations 🥺

Seriously. Bring one to Arizona.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Romes128 posted:

They used to ship before the pandemic I think. Wonder why they won’t start again.

They're probably selling out everything they get in in-store, leaving no inventory for their online store.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr.Radar posted:

They're probably selling out everything they get in in-store, leaving no inventory for their online store.

No, that's how Microcenter has always been. The pandemic didn't change anything. They didn't stop shipping things. Only a small portion of their stock is available for shipping and those are generally not the most exciting / best deals.

The question, why doesn't pcpartpicker index Microcenter's website. I'd imagine that pcpartpicker could write their scraper to do it. You can filter for only shippable items.

OTOH pcpartpicker makes all their money from referral links and microcenter probably doesn't do that. So maybe they have no particular reason to add them.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Them not shipping is a good anti-bot protection. Make scalpers physically have to show up.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yes. High demand stuff can’t even be ordered for store pickup. You gotta go in.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Linus is building more ZFS storage servers...
Also having issues with their radio WAN...

:newlol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12l326jQML8

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The market is absolutely hosed, considering someone used a GPU for this.
IceLake-era Xeon Scalables have Intel GFNI which adds Galois Field manipulation at one operation per instruction (with a latency of three operations), so if ZFS and/or the kernel doing software RAID gets the code to take advantage of those, the only thing you need to ensure is that you have enough cores to ensure that you aren't getting threading-starved.

So what it really means is that either you pick a proprietary accelerator solution using a proprietary module because you're limited by per-core licensing, or you pay an opensource developer to add the functionality to your favorite opensource project (as both GCC and LLVM support it already).

EDIT: To find it easiest, search for "avx512gfni" in the PDF.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 25, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

wibble posted:

can't wait for the video when this one catastrophically fails

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oKkrnNaHnQ

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

wibble posted:

Wonder why it got private'd