Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Everyone posted:

So with six weeks and two days and counting until Dr. Strange 2 premieres what's the over/under on this thread holding together vs. descending into utter madness by that time?

Maybe it should get a separate thread to prevent that but we'll probably just end up with multithreads of madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe it should get a separate thread to prevent that but we'll probably just end up with multithreads of madness.

Booooo. But also correct.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

So with six weeks and two days and counting until Dr. Strange 2 premieres what's the over/under on this thread holding together vs. descending into utter madness by that time?

"Descending", he says.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jedit posted:

"Descending", he says.

Well, there's always greater depths to which to descend when it comes to thread madness.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
US release is Friday May 6th, but I bet there’s screenings on the 4th and 5th.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

US release is Friday May 6th, but I bet there’s screenings on the 4th and 5th.

If anything that makes it worse. Now I'll need to stay the hell away from the whole thread then because this is one time I really do not want to be spoiled.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
UK release is on the 5th, so I can see them doing earlier screenings to fight spoilers leaking out.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

According to early reviews Morbius is, shockingly, bad. But what intrigues me is that the post-credits scene is being described as a spectacular low point

https://twitter.com/RenGeekness/status/1507105748198871056?s=20&t=7Kycs8obCcplxIb724fzdw

https://twitter.com/sab_astley/status/1507100066036727809?s=20&t=pI2_u9BZ6VGcxRedMZJf2g

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Post credits:

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 25, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

lol, trash

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The morbius trailer I saw before the batman was incredibly half hearted. Guy turns into a vampire and... that's it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Perhaps it’s just in the execution but I don’t see how those spoilers are any stupider than 90% of all superhero movies

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Perhaps it’s just in the execution but I don’t see how those spoilers are any stupider than 90% of all superhero movies

heck the post credits scene being a hokey teaser for another movie sounds like most superhero post-credits scenes these days

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd like to see more Keaton Vulture but IDGAF about Morbius and can take or leave Jared Leto so this one was already a hard pass for me. Keaton and Hardy together is something I could interested in though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Morbius criticism is gonna be the easy dunk target for all these "professional" writers. No one expects anything from it so they are just gonna get easy burns in and honestly, it's lazy. I don't give a poo poo about the movie and will just watch it when it's online so not defending it's honor but there's gonna be some people clamoring to get the best dunk in for clout.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo good. gently caress Jered Leto

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DeimosRising posted:

Toomes doesn't hate Spider-Man, and Morbius has never met him.

It sounds to me kind of like the last scene (don't remember if it's post credit) in Green Lantern where Sinestro turns evil for no reason

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Morbius criticism is gonna be the easy dunk target for all these "professional" writers. No one expects anything from it so they are just gonna get easy burns in and honestly, it's lazy. I don't give a poo poo about the movie and will just watch it when it's online so not defending it's honor but there's gonna be some people clamoring to get the best dunk in for clout.

It may just be easy to dunk on because it's terrible. It does look terrible. Occam's Razor, and all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

It may just be easy to dunk on because it's terrible. It does look terrible. Occam's Razor, and all.

I mean I get it, even if it is terrible (which it definitely looks to be) there's a difference between actual crit about why and it just being dunked on ASAP. I understand if someone's frustrated about the latter basically taking over.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Film criticism probably died when Harry knowles took over idk. I’ve only known nerdy rear end critics and they’ve always been snarky and lovely and frequently get out of breath when they talk about how much they hate something.

And a lot of them turn out to be pests of some kind

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just hope this ends the trend of actors talking about how scared they were that they were inhabiting the character too much and couldn't tell what was real anymore! Leto is the biggest offender, but Paul Dano talking about how he needed multiple days to "cool down" from being in the mind of The Riddler and it got so real that it scared him.

Everyone wants to rip off poor Heath.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Paul dano didn’t say that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

he told me that on the phone

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I hate all the loving press basically trying to be marketing and saying stuff like “this actor was sooooo insane in how they prepared to be <villain> that it scared the whole crew!!!” Because I guarantee the crew didn’t give a poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“There were some nights around that I probably didn’t sleep as well as I would’ve wanted to just because it was a little hard to come down from this character,” Dano said. “It takes a lot of energy to get there. And so you almost have to sustain it once you’re there because going up and down is kind of hard.”

The transformation into the Riddler also added to Dano’s physical restlessness, after the star suggested covering himself in plastic wrap since the criminal mastermind would go to extreme measures to not leave DNA at a crime scene.

“My head was just throbbing with heat,” Dano said of taking off the Riddler costume. “I went home that night, after the first full day in that, and I almost couldn’t sleep because I was scared of what was happening to my head. It was like compressed from the sweat and the heat and the lack of oxygen. It was a crazy feeling.”

Lmao.

He was just amped up and super hot in the costume

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CelticPredator posted:

quote:

The Batman star Paul Dano says playing the Riddler made him lose sleep thanks to the character's sadistic nature and energetic demeanor.

quote:

“It was actually the kind of thing where, especially now that I am a parent — a lot of the research I did for this was during the daytime at coffee shops because I just did not want those books next to my bed,” the actor said.

quote:

Dano said he couldn’t shake his serial killer alter ego, The Riddler, during production. "There were some nights around that I probably didn't sleep as well as I would've wanted to just because it was a little hard to come down from this character. It takes a lot of energy to get there. And so you almost have to sustain it once you're there because going up and down is kind of hard."

Dano adds: "My head was just throbbing with heat. I went home that night, after the first full day in that, and I almost couldn't sleep because I was scared of what was happening to my head. It was like compressed from the sweat and the heat and the lack of oxygen. It was a crazy feeling."

quote:

"Paul is really a chameleon," says the Cloverfield director. "He's brilliant in so much. But I think you see him going through a very internal tortured experience in his characters. You can see him really in an active way, having this kind of psychological turmoil that I find is really compelling."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 25, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol we posted the same quotes. He didn’t say the character kept him up. He said he had a hard time sleeping due to the energy of it. Which is like…not that insane.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Lol we posted the same quotes. He didn’t say the character kept him up. He said he had a hard time sleeping due to the energy of it. Which is like…not that insane.

Also, wearing a gimp mask under stage lights for twelve or sixteen hours a day is going to gently caress up anybody for a while.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

If someone asks you to act like an insane man for 8 hours a day or however long a shooting schedule is then it’s understandably a pretty tiring thing to do.

It doesn’t somehow warp your brain into sending your costars used condoms or rats or whatever, that’s a whole different method thing.

Ror fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 25, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CelticPredator posted:

Talking about how "the research was so scary that I couldn't keep it by my bed," Reeves saying he could see Dano going through real psychological trauma by embodying the character, talking about losing sleep because of how sadistic and energetic the character was, and mentioning how he had real serial killer ideas to add to the character are all pretty standard parts of the weird trend of "actor got so into the role that it was scary!" marketing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re adding a weird extra element to what he said

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Those books I read were terrifying” - normal opinion for most people who aren’t into true crime

“The role required a lot of energy and the come down of doing it all day made it hard to sleep” very normal

“The mask made it super hot and uncomfortable and I was worried what it was doing to me” - also normal

Lmao

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Film criticism probably died when Harry knowles took over idk. I’ve only known nerdy rear end critics and they’ve always been snarky and lovely and frequently get out of breath when they talk about how much they hate something.

And a lot of them turn out to be pests of some kind

The book "Best. Movie. Year. Ever.: How 1999 Blew Up the Big Screen" by Brian Raftery has a chapter on Knowles and how he and internet nerds in general rose to dominate film coverage. Whole book is a good read.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

those are all super normal comments. you don't want to keep scary murder books/work on your serial killer character around your young children

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Like, normal rear end people with desk jobs sometimes get stressed and don't sleep well which as the most extreme thing he said. It's not like he was locking himself in the shed for days at a time to "fully embody the character" without getting the urge to kill his family, he was just like "yeah after pretending to be a serial killer for 10 hours a day all week it started to wear on me".

Also, wrapping yourself in saran wrap sounds like a dare a bunch of 17 year olds would almost die doing, so talking about how hard that was seems appropriate in an interview.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pablo Schreiber confirms he had preliminary talks with Marvel to play Wolverine in the MCU X-Men.

But, he also says it was a while ago and that they "flirted with it," but never did anything concrete.

So, he will probably not actually be Wolverine, but Marvel is apparently looking for a "Pablo Schreiber type" to play Wolverine.

https://twitter.com/RealScreenGeek/status/1507393372780171265

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

They should use him then bring back his real-life brother Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it's hard for me to imagine any live action casting for Wolverine that doesn't feel like a weird Great Value version of Jackman's. guys owned that character across full franchise reboots, full recastings, time jumps since before Tobey suited up, before superhero movies were even a thing. to me him and that role are even more inseparable than RDJ and Iron Man

just make him a different guy/girl. do x-23 or whoever. it's way too soon to send somebody else out there and call them Logan

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mandrel posted:

it's hard for me to imagine any live action casting for Wolverine that doesn't feel like a weird Great Value version of Jackman's. guys owned that character across full franchise reboots, full recastings, time jumps since before Tobey suited up, before superhero movies were even a thing. to me him and that role are even more inseparable than RDJ and Iron Man

just make him a different guy/girl. do x-23 or whoever. it's way too soon to send somebody else out there and call them Logan

Eh, it might serve to reduce Wolverine's overall significance, which doesn't sound like a bad idea. Why would he have to be a major player in the grand scheme of things to come? The X-Men toys are gonna get smashed together with the rest of the Marvel toys, it's not like there would even be any space for Wolverine even if Jackman came back. What would he do, remark how Captain America looks well for his age before hacking away at his shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mandrel posted:

I agree with this, but this is also how I feel about Snipes as Blade. I like Ali but... Dude is just not Blade.