Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Armitag3 posted:

No they're bsd cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Armitag3 posted:

No they're bsd cringe
loving ow, my tummy hurts from laughing.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Bumping the bsd thread. Linux thread is getting too much attention. Not enough love for bsd.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like the concept of BSD

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I too like the concept of bad software development

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
BSD is easy and fun to work on

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

distributing software in the manner of berkeley is the only way for software to truly be free

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

free as in eh, this'll do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

free as in eh, this'll do

this but with paid development too

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

free as in if it breaks you get to keep both parts

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

free as in when it breaks you're not even sure what to do with the parts, and you're kind of amazed that assembled they make a half working thing.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

free as in mattress

matti
Mar 31, 2019

anyone to know which release of BSD first implemented the NLS api? (catopen/catgets/catclose/gencat)

i am bad at googling

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

looks like it was specified in XPG4 which was in 1992. FreeBSD's man page archive shows it was introduced in FreeBSD 2.0.5 and NetBSD/OpenBSD 2.0

matti
Mar 31, 2019

im slightly surprised X/Open standardized it before it was even added to System V

edit: no i am just drunk. or maybe not. enough reading standards today

matti fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 14, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

looks like it was specified in XPG4 which was in 1992. FreeBSD's man page archive shows it was introduced in FreeBSD 2.0.5 and NetBSD/OpenBSD 2.0
1995-06-10 and 2004-12-09/1996-10-18 respectively, according to /usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

National Language Support (NLS) is the localization interface specified by POSIX. NLS is part of the X/Open Standard Interface (XSI) option. NLS was originally developed by Hewlett-Packard for HP/UX. It was first standardized in 1987 by version 2 of the X/Open Portability Guide. AT&T added NLS to its System V Release 4 in 1988. NetBSD gained support for NLS in 1996.

you got to have a drink after writing that paragraph

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

matti posted:

you got to have a drink after writing that paragraph
i need a drink after reading it

matti
Mar 31, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i need a drink after reading it

i would not get into the history wank but it explains a lot why the api is lovely as it is

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

The purpose of NLS is retrieval of locale-specific strings. In its core are message catalogs. Message catalogs are files created by the gencat utility. The input to gencat are message text files. The following creates a message catalog for the fi_FI.UTF-8 locale:

$ mkdir fi_FI.UTF-8
$ gencat fi_FI.UTF-8/hello.cat /dev/stdin
$set 1
1 Moro, maailma! 🏒^D

(FreeBSD/Darwin/macOS gencat has a defect where you can not use the - operand to signify standard input.)

You access message catalogs with three functions declared by the <nl_types.h> header:

catopen
catgets
catclose

The preceding message catalog can be used in the following manner (sans error handling):

setlocale(LC_ALL, "");
nl_catd messages = catopen("hello", NL_CAT_LOCALE);
puts(catgets(messages, 1, 1, "Hello, world!"));
catclose(messages);

The code behaves like this:

$ export NLSPATH=./%L/%N.cat
$ ./hello
Hello, world!
$ LC_MESSAGES=fi_FI.UTF-8 ./hello
Moro, maailma! 🏒

Message text files

here is rest of my garbage so far. i sorta want to make a thread for technical writing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:mods:

matti
Mar 31, 2019

hello.cat is actually a file that prints goatse onto your terminal using ANSI escape codes

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

matti posted:

hello.cat is actually a file that prints goatse onto your terminal using ANSI escape codes
so that's where the eris free network message of the day comes from

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

anyone to know which release of BSD first implemented the NLS api? (catopen/catgets/catclose/gencat)

i looked into this (re: message catalog internals):

quote:

Alfalfa Software developed a public domain message catalog implementation between 1990 and 1991. NetBSD added the implementation in 1994. FreeBSD added it from NetBSD in 1995. Mac OS X inherited it from FreeBSD. According to developer Kee Hinckley's LinkedIn, it has also been used by some Linux distributions in the past.

NetBSD used the implementation until 1996. FreeBSD used it until 2005. macOS still uses it in a form (see below).

and also into this:

quote:

The macOS message catalog implementation is from FreeBSD. macOS uses the Alfalfa Software message catalog format, except:

- int32_t replaces long.
- The byte order is always big-endian.
- The message structure never has padding bytes.

Apple made the changes to the format in 2006 and 2007 (Libc-391.4.3 and Libc-498).

e: whoops quote the not edited my original post:

matti fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 21, 2022

matti
Mar 31, 2019

thats some good ancient source code spelunking

matti fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 21, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What is everyone's thoughts on bastille?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i meant to say that the alfalfa message catalog format is fun

the implementation mmap()'s a file and then re-uses the on-disk structures at runtime by replacing some offsets with pointers. also lol that apple still ships that code

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

OpenBSD 7.1 is out, new major features are apple silicon support, improved SMP performance, wireless improvements (including initial support for ac)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick

kinda wish I had a reason to run freebsd

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kazinsal posted:

OpenBSD 7.1 is out, new major features are apple silicon support, improved SMP performance, wireless improvements (including initial support for ac)

woah, apple silicon support?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on bastille?

kinda odd they named their secure os after something that was famously stormed by the common rabble

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lady Radia posted:

asahi linux has an initial release out too

they've been swapping info and bsd is borrowing hector martin's m1n1 bootloader iirc

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Lady Radia posted:

i mean, it's OpenBSD, the os committed to maintaining successful builds on architectures that haven't existed since like the 80s

now, as to who will _use_ this in practice idk

probably mostly my weird french coworker who unironically ran openbsd as his regular laptop os for daily use

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
and macOS 12.1 added a raw image mode for booting alternative operating systems so no one even has to build their bootloader as a Mach-O binary

matti
Mar 31, 2019

e: im grumpy

matti fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 22, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

be interesting to see how the driver licensing works out

or whether it does

matti
Mar 31, 2019

e: im grumpy

matti fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 22, 2022