Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gavok posted:

If this hasn't been touched by the time I finish with the Undertaker posts, I'll do it. Especially since by then we'll probably see him redebut in WWE.

It does seem like Cody's entire history can be summed up with "fine! I'll do my own _____ but with blackjack, and hookers!"

Except he has a pretty solid track record of just, being right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gavok posted:

If this hasn't been touched by the time I finish with the Undertaker posts, I'll do it. Especially since by then we'll probably see him redebut in WWE.

in the same sense that there was a Dan Carlin episode about Cleopatra that started as a continuous narrative from the Gracchi brothers, this should really be a single narrative piece that begins in 2013 with Bad Luck Fale asking Prince Devitt if he can eat all of the carbs that he's left over

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
If John Cena comes to the ring to Wig Wam on his next appearance I predict that might result in history's biggest crowd pop

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TheSwizzler posted:

If John Cena comes to the ring to Wig Wam on his next appearance I predict that might result in history's biggest crowd pop

I would mark the gently caress out

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Cubone posted:

I would mark the gently caress out

Imagine it, heel being a dick, etc etc whatever

"DO YOU REALLY WANT, DO YOU REALLY WANT TO TASTE IT?"

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheSwizzler posted:

Imagine it, heel being a dick, etc etc whatever

"DO YOU REALLY WANT, DO YOU REALLY WANT TO TASTE IT?"

Triple H : I'm so close to complete control I can TASTE it!

DO YOU REALLY WANNA, DO YOU REALLY WANNA TASTE IT?!

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

It's such a good idea that it's guaranteed to never happen

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

TheSwizzler posted:

It's such a good idea that it's guaranteed to never happen

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince apparently tried to murder sgt. slaughter with the defector to Iraq angle in the 90's because of the GI Joe toy deal Slaughter had gotten years ago lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince apparently tried to murder sgt. slaughter with the defector to Iraq angle in the 90's because of the GI Joe toy deal Slaughter had gotten years ago lol

What's the deal with Vince trying to bury people for this kind of stuff is he just a rear end in a top hat ( I'm assuming this the case) , although I wouldn't mind knowing more about this.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Wrestling promoters think a lot like pimps. Any money their workers make is daddy's money, not theirs. Verne Gagne wanted Hulk's legs broken for daring to get paid to be in Rocky 3.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It's been demonstrated so many times that Vince can't loving stand it if you get over on your own. Only his chosen are allowed to get over.

The most visible examples are probably Daniel Brian Danielson who had the audacity to be popular in RoH or whatever, and Zack Ryder, who was the first example i can think of of someone who used youtube and social media to get himself over.

In Danielson's case it took fans literally turning their backs before Vince was willing to throw him a crumb.

In ryder's case it basically just led to Vince deciding that youtube revenue would be considered part of your downside even though you did it on your own. I think at one point he also just tried to ban everyone from having any kind of side gig.

Why? Who knows. The only answer i can think of is that Vince is a megalomaniac which everybody already knew.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hollismason posted:

What's the deal with Vince trying to bury people for this kind of stuff is he just a rear end in a top hat ( I'm assuming this the case) , although I wouldn't mind knowing more about this.

vince hates when wrestlers get out of his control and start making money that doesnt go back to him. this is why he has the role of "executive producer" in movies like the Scorpion King and why he started his own film studio to pump out low budget movies starring wrestlers. Dwayne Johnson stopped going by the The Rock for a few years because he had to pay Vince for each use of the name and John Cena still has to pay Vince a cut for using the name John Cena in movies lmao

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Animal-Mother posted:

Wrestling promoters think a lot like pimps. Any money their workers make is daddy's money, not theirs. Verne Gagne wanted Hulk's legs broken for daring to get paid to be in Rocky 3.

The version I heard was that Verne wanted Hogan to sign a deal where he'd get a run with the AWA title, but in return Verne would get a sizable "finder's fee" for any future TV and movie gigs Hogan might get. Hogan refused (partially because he didn't want to give Verne money for stuff he'd been independently offered; and partially because Verne felt legit wrestlers like himself or Bockwinkel were better suited as champions than muscular guys like Hogan, so any run Hogan might have had would've likely been a short one), Vince came in with a much more lucrative offer--including making him the top guy in the WWF--and Hogan jumped.

The Iron Sheik was used as a transitional champ to get the WWF title off Bob Backlund and onto Hogan, and he claimed that after Hogan left the AWA, Verne offered him thousands of dollars (anywhere from $5000 to $25000, depending on who's telling the story) to shoot on Hogan and break his leg during their match. Sheik also claimed that he refused because that wasn't the right thing to do and informed Vince (and since Vince was already quite happily poaching guys from Verne's roster, he probably just laughed it off).

This sort of thing was nothing new in the olden days of rasslin', of course. Back in the day, the Brisco Brothers (Jerry and Jack, not the current ROH guys) owned shares in Georgia Championship Wrestling, along with Ole Anderson and one or two other promoters, including rights to the timeslot that aired GCW on TBS. During a dispute with Ole, they convinced one of the other guys to sell their shares, so that GCW would go off the air and be replaced by whoever they sold them to... who just happened to be one Vince McMahon, who'd just taken over the WW(W)F from his father. Depending on which account you read, Ole was so furious that he either offered various people money to break the legs of both Jerry and Jack, or even threatened to have them whacked Goodfellas-style.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are a lot of hosed up rumors about why Vince had a falling out with Randy Savage but the one i believe is that vince was furious over randy savage getting the slim jim deal behind his back and cutting vince out entirely

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WRESTLEMANIA 13 (1997)

This one we’ve already talked about to death. What was originally supposed to be a title rematch between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels somehow turned into Sycho Sid defending the WWF Championship against the Undertaker. While there was nothing much going on between these two compared to being the main event of the biggest show, Undertaker was having a rough year, storywise. Mankind was able to make him look vulnerable time and time again and even Paul Bearer turned heel and left the Undertaker.

With Undertaker winning (thanks in part to Bret Hart interfering), there was a feeling of “it’s about time.” Other than a few days in 1991, he has always been treated as an all-powerful sideshow who was too busy or unlucky to be champion. At least now he would be able to hold onto the belt for a few months.

WRESTLEMANIA 14 (1998)

Two major things had been going on. Shawn Michaels, acting as a special referee, accidentally smashed Undertaker upside the head with a chair at SummerSlam when he meant to hit Bret Hart. Because of that, Bret Hart had won the title and Undertaker wanted to tear Michaels in two. This in turn helped create D-Generation X as Michaels became more and more of an rear end in a top hat.

Undertaker seemed to have a handle on the whole Mankind/Paul Bearer feud and even set Paul’s face on fire at one point. For months after, Paul started screaming about Undertaker’s never-before-mentioned brother Kane and how he was alive. This threat went on for a while, culminating in the first Hell in a Cell match between Michaels and the Undertaker. Kane appeared with red mood lighting, tore the door off the hinges, and Tombstoned his brother. It's still considered to be one of the all-time best wrestler debuts.

In the months that followed, Kane continued to terrorize the Undertaker, despite a brief suggestion that he may have forgiven him. This led to their match at WrestleMania and... sorry to say, Undertaker and Kane have never had a good match against each other. They just never meshed well as opponents.

Much like the Undertaker vs. Fake Undertaker match from years prior, the Undertaker won by just hitting the Tombstone three times and finally getting the pin.

WRESTLEMANIA 15 (1999)

It was the Attitude Era and Vince Russo was the head writer, so poo poo got weird and frantic. Since the last WrestleMania, Undertaker got a high profile match for the title against Stone Cold Steve Austin that he lost, he reconnected with Kane for a bit, and he started his own demonic cult. His Ministry of Darkness started encroaching on Vince McMahon’s territory and even outright stalked his family.

Vince sent the Big Boss Man after him in a Hell in a Cell match. This seemed like an odd choice of a match because Boss Man was like a middling henchman while Vince had guys like the Rock and Big Show on his Corporation payroll. For many years, this was considered to be the worst Hell in a Cell match as it didn’t really do anything interesting with the concept. Well, at least, during the match.

Undertaker won the lovely match and his Brood underlings appeared to go all Mortal Kombat by having a post-match Fatality. Big Boss Man was hung lifelessly from a noose as the cage rose up. Commentator Michael Cole made sure to segue from this grisly sight by talking up how much fun fans had at WrestleMania Axxess that weekend!

Interesting aftermath to this match. Big Boss Man was fine, of course. Him being hanged was just handwaved. Eventually, it was revealed that Vince was behind the Ministry, giving us the Corporate Ministry. There was a thing about Steve Austin being gifted 50% of the company via Linda McMahon or the Board of Directors or whoever. Austin was going to face Vince and Shane in a handicap ladder match with a “winner take all” stipulation and if anyone else from the Corporate Ministry got involved, the McMahons would automatically lose.

Austin earned the right to make it a ladder match by beating the Big Boss Man. For his failure, Boss Man was fired. During the ladder match, when Austin had it won, someone had mysteriously lifted the briefcase so Austin couldn’t reach it. The McMahons ended up winning. Then the next night, Boss Man was allowed back into the fold.

Lots of people still consider the briefcase thing to be this huge unsolved mystery, which is why you have to spell out every little loving thing to wrestling fans.

WRESTLEMANIA 17 (2001)

At some point, Undertaker got tired of being an undead wizard in an age of more grounded wrestling gimmicks. He left for a while and came back as a biker, calling himself “The American Badass" and alternating between having Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit theme music. Kane was still the same as ever, though. Together, the Brothers of Destruction became enemies of Triple H and Big Show.

Triple H had made a big deal about deserving to be in the main event as he had defeated all the major names in the company. Undertaker pointed out that that wasn’t true, since he was around and they never had any matches against each other. Undertaker ended up kidnapping and ransoming Stephanie McMahon for a singles match with Triple H.

Now, initially this was Triple H’s match to win. He would have ended the Streak before it would be recognized for what it was. The problem was that Shawn Michaels was going to be brought back, having been on the shelf since WrestleMania 14. Triple H vouched for him and Michaels was SOOOOO hosed up on drugs and was sent home. Triple H ended up losing to Undertaker as punishment.

WrestleMania 17 is considered one of the all-time best PPVs, so this match was fire. Funny enough, the company would like to pretend it never happened down the line. We’ll get to that later.

WRESTLEMANIA 18 (2002)

The entire WWF vs. WCW/ECW storyline happened in-between the previous WrestleMania and Survivor Series. In the aftermath, the Undertaker turned heel and called himself “Big Evil.” The setup of the company was that Vince (heel) and Ric Flair (face) each controlled half of the promotion. Flair ended up increasingly finding issue with Undertaker’s behavior and attacked him with a pipe during one of Undertaker’s matches. They became the Earth-3 version of Austin vs. McMahon.

Undertaker wanted a WrestleMania match and Flair was reluctant, as he was more of an office worker than a wrestler. Undertaker then went and beat up Flair’s friends and family until Flair finally relented.

It was a no disqualification match and was pretty great. Probably the best part was Arn Anderson sneaking into the ring to hit a picture perfect spinebuster despite being forced to retire years ago. Undertaker defeated Flair with a Tombstone and held up both fists. One-by-one, all of his fingers uncurled to express that he was now 10-0.

Up next: the Undertaker’s protégé was certainly not :perfect:

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are a lot of hosed up rumors about why Vince had a falling out with Randy Savage but the one i believe is that vince was furious over randy savage getting the slim jim deal behind his back and cutting vince out entirely

Of all the bullshit "something with Stephanie (GONE SEXUAL?!?) ???" bullshit that's been said over the years. This makes the absolute most sense. Doubly so when you consider that CM Punk was also courting a deal with Slim Jim outside of WWE and we all know how his story went.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

John Cena still has to pay Vince a cut for using the name John Cena in movies lmao

Of all the carny bullshit that I'll believe without a second thought. I need a source on this.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Trollologist posted:

Of all the bullshit "something with Stephanie (GONE SEXUAL?!?) ???" bullshit that's been said over the years. This makes the absolute most sense. Doubly so when you consider that CM Punk was also courting a deal with Slim Jim outside of WWE and we all know how his story went.

Of all the carny bullshit that I'll believe without a second thought. I need a source on this.

quote:

So what happens to the wrestlers using their real name like John Cena? Does Vince McMahon still own the Dr. of Thuganomics' actual name?

The answer is yes. John Cena has publicly confirmed that WWE owns the rights to his name. Accordingly, a certain part of the current Hollywood star's income also goes to WWE.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gavok posted:

Now, initially this was Triple H’s match to win. He would have ended the Streak before it would be recognized for what it was. The problem was that Shawn Michaels was going to be brought back, having been on the shelf since WrestleMania 14. Triple H vouched for him and Michaels was SOOOOO hosed up on drugs and was sent home. Triple H ended up losing to Undertaker as punishment.

As I said. This was the second time that the Streak was retroactively in serious danger, and ironically, the match before it started being really acknowledged as A Thing. The fact that Hunter was going to win and only Shawn Michaels' self destructive behavior saved the Streak makes a lot more sense considering the finish: Undertaker went for his new powerbomb finisher, Hunter grabbed up his sledgehammer as he was lifted, and smashed Undertaker in the face with it in mid move. Anywhere else, any other show, that would have been the finish. But because Shawn was hosed up, it wasn't, and Hunter lost. It even started a pseudo theme for Wrestlemania Taker matches, like the Streak somehow empowered him and that at Wrestlemania he was at his absolute height of strength and things that would normally defeat him would not.

They even put it in one of the WWE games, where in order to unlock everything, you had to face the Undertaker in a special 'end the Streak' gauntlet where you had to beat a special version of Undertaker with every opponent whom he defeated to make it. As said, this was a special CPU only version of the Undertaker who had higher stats and once per match could teleport behind you and automatically hit a Tombstone Piledriver, no chance of reversal. Needless to say, while beating him with characters like CM Punk and Shawn Michaels was tricky but doable, ho boy was it a giant pain in the rear end to beat him with King Kong Bundy or A-Train.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cornwind Evil posted:

As I said. This was the second time that the Streak was retroactively in serious danger, and ironically, the match before it started being really acknowledged as A Thing. The fact that Hunter was going to win and only Shawn Michaels' self destructive behavior saved the Streak makes a lot more sense considering the finish: Undertaker went for his new powerbomb finisher, Hunter grabbed up his sledgehammer as he was lifted, and smashed Undertaker in the face with it in mid move. Anywhere else, any other show, that would have been the finish. But because Shawn was hosed up, it wasn't, and Hunter lost. It even started a pseudo theme for Wrestlemania Taker matches, like the Streak somehow empowered him and that at Wrestlemania he was at his absolute height of strength and things that would normally defeat him would not.

They even put it in one of the WWE games, where in order to unlock everything, you had to face the Undertaker in a special 'end the Streak' gauntlet where you had to beat a special version of Undertaker with every opponent whom he defeated to make it. As said, this was a special CPU only version of the Undertaker who had higher stats and once per match could teleport behind you and automatically hit a Tombstone Piledriver, no chance of reversal. Needless to say, while beating him with characters like CM Punk and Shawn Michaels was tricky but doable, ho boy was it a giant pain in the rear end to beat him with King Kong Bundy or A-Train.

Please tell you actually had to play as Giant Gonzales :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Animal-Mother posted:

titties posted:

It's been demonstrated so many times that Vince can't loving stand it if you get over on your own. Only his chosen are allowed to get over.

The most visible examples are probably Daniel Brian Danielson who had the audacity to be popular in RoH or whatever, and Zack Ryder, who was the first example i can think of of someone who used youtube and social media to get himself over.

In Danielson's case it took fans literally turning their backs before Vince was willing to throw him a crumb.

In ryder's case it basically just led to Vince deciding that youtube revenue would be considered part of your downside even though you did it on your own. I think at one point he also just tried to ban everyone from having any kind of side gig.

Why? Who knows. The only answer i can think of is that Vince is a megalomaniac which everybody already knew.

For all Vince hates supposedly being seen as a jumped-up carny, he certainly hasn't changed his thinking at all. It's all very mustache-twirling pantomime villain 'I OWN you!'

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

SirPhoebos posted:

Please tell you actually had to play as Giant Gonzales :allears:

Ah, alas, I mis-remembered. You don't get access to every single wrestler who fell to Undertaker, just 10 of them (Bundy, Diesel, Kane, HHH, Big Show, Orton, Batista, Edge, HBK, and CM Punk) and you have to beat him with all of them to unlock everything.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

John Cena has also been quoted as being happy with this arrangement since he credits Vince for his success.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXsZxDJVoJY

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Walla posted:

John Cena has also been quoted as being happy with this arrangement since he credits Vince for his success.

John Cena had also said that he hates Serbia. Because he is Albanian.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
john cena is a loyal company man even when he has to know how hosed up and insane the WWE is lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince saying the N-word on television while john cena looks on horrified ftw

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I never said he was good or intelligent, just that he seems happy to give money to Vince.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince saying the N-word on television while john cena looks on horrified ftw

but he said it in a hip-hop way!

for those who don't follow the Bad Takes On Wrestling thread that's a reference to an idiot on twitter defending vince mcmahon for saying that on tv

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
and now for a musical interlude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5RGhRs0a8

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
When Vince died, HHH has to be buried alive with him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

The image of John Cena being a gross mapgamer popped in my head and I refuse to let go of it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

And now for another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbBlcGeh6U

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

HHH says his heart is failing and he'll never wrestle again.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/25/triple-h-never-wrestle-again-heart-condition-stephen-a-smith/

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

skip to 6 minutes in if you just want to see the legendary fight between Bob Sapp and Razor Ramon, Hard Gay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E98WgiMKauk

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vince tried to kill his own son-in-law lol

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This has nothing to do with anything but I just want to remind everyone that wrestling can be good sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xIYVw3ZPJk

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

drat you steroids genetics!

That really sucks. While I don't think Triple H is a good person or anything, that's loving horrible.

EDIT:

If he wasn't his son in law and probably didn't know where a lot of skeletons, financial and possibly real, are buried, his rear end would have been fired with the others because Vince probably thinks this is Paul's fault for being weak.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 25, 2022

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

to be fair, the one thing that WWE does incredibly well is to look after ex-wrestlers with health issues

William Regal was on Jericho's podcast talking about, like, six different medical issues that are all individually terrifying (he had advanced pericarditis, and his neck was being literally held together with calcified scar tissue, plus sometimes his legs would just give out for no reason) and for all that WWE fired him off their dumb TV show after 20 years, they also paid millions of dollars to keep him from dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

he never said that