Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GI_Clutch posted:

From my experience, things project managers do:
  • Create unrealistic project schedules without looking at anyone's calendars for time off or anything like that
  • Schedule meetings
  • Kickoff meetings and sit in silence until the wrapup
  • Be too afraid to call customer out on bullshit like missing contractual deadlines, giving us less time to actually deliver
  • Agree to do out of scope work without a CR because "we have plenty of hours"
  • Have their Teams messages ignored by me for hours because I'm too busy on another project that you know I'm busy with so gently caress off, Donna!
This excerpt our refuse to use Teams and will only use Skype. No one else is Skype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This excerpt our refuse to use Teams and will only use Skype. No one else is Skype.

Sound like they're just not a teams player.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I’ve hit that magical place where I have a few long term projects I’m always working on; my managers just want to know the status and they leave me to my own devices because they know I’m chugging along, but I’m also one of the go-to people to do something specific in a short time in which case I do it and tell them it’s delaying the bigger stuff and they say “yep we know, don’t worry about it.”

I’m very good at task switching and keeping many plates spinning so it is perfect for me.

Good managers make things easy by making you not worry things you don’t want to deal with so you can get your real work done. Bad ones just relay their orders from above and ask you to figure it all out.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Posts like this are always puzzling. Power fantasies about sticking it to the minimum wage service worker. Also just a fantasy because you've never actually blown a whistle or put the phone up to a smoke alarm.

This is the dumb poo poo your work does thread, not dumb poo poo you imagine it would be cool to do to other workers.

The dumb poo poo your work does is calling people during dinner time to try and rip them off. And the context was the sociopath who

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My personal game was to apologize but never hang up. "I understand. I'm terribly sorry." Things along those lines while they worked themselves up further and further. It was glorious. ... until they became incoherent and slammed the phone done, and my day would be improved.

Nobody except scammers does a cold call anymore, you're posting :qq: over a bunch of people who make a living screwing little old ladies out of their retirement savings and are somehow still working for minimum wage while doing it.

I'm not suggesting people start calling their bank and being lovely to the customer support people there.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I had a project that was something like six months behind schedule, mostly due to the customer. The project manager asked me to send him regular updates on progress and how things are going, so I started doing that a couple times a week. He'd respond to each one thanking me for the detailed update.

Months later, my boss called me and told me the PM has no idea where we are because he hasn't understood a single thing in my emails. He didn't know basic industry terminology, and had to go beg my boss every single time to explain what was going on. This is despite the fact that he used to be an engineer, with the exact same job I did. For christ's sake if you need an executive summary just tell me, don't just nod your head and pretend.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GI_Clutch posted:

From my experience, things project managers do:
  • Create unrealistic project schedules without looking at anyone's calendars for time off or anything like that
  • Schedule meetings
  • Kickoff meetings and sit in silence until the wrapup
  • Be too afraid to call customer out on bullshit like missing contractual deadlines, giving us less time to actually deliver
  • Agree to do out of scope work without a CR because "we have plenty of hours"
  • Have their Teams messages ignored by me for hours because I'm too busy on another project that you know I'm busy with so gently caress off, Donna!

This is a bad PM. A good PM is the opposite and makes your job significantly easier by dealing with all of the bullshit without wasting your time, and coming up with actually useful plans and decisions.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dongsturm posted:

Nobody except scammers does a cold call anymore, you're posting :qq: over a bunch of people who make a living screwing little old ladies out of their retirement savings and are somehow still working for minimum wage while doing it.

I'm not suggesting people start calling their bank and being lovely to the customer support people there.

Wrongo. Political campaigns make cold calls and basically everyone is a volunteer. And it's generally people who really think they are doing a good thing and making a difference. I did it a bunch when I still thought the world could be a better place. Really sucked poo poo to get yelled at by people for no fuckin reason other than "I interrupted their din dins"

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Dongsturm posted:

The dumb poo poo your work does is calling people during dinner time to try and rip them off. And the context was the sociopath who

You realize that a decent chunk of public polling is still done over the phone, and is what the OP said they were doing, right? They didn’t claim to do this to people who said “hey I’d rather not talk to you” and hung up, but instead the people that decide they need to abuse the min-wage worker on the other end of the line instead of being an adult. If you’re going off on a caller like that that’s just doing their job, you’re the rear end in a top hat.

Anyway just lol at the idea of ever answering the phone if it’s from a number you don’t recognize

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Remember Giuliani's voter fraud hotline? Man. That was some great guilt-free crank calling.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
This topic is really bringing out all the people who think that they are the protagonist.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Volmarias posted:

This is a bad PM. A good PM is the opposite and makes your job significantly easier by dealing with all of the bullshit without wasting your time, and coming up with actually useful plans and decisions.

Yeah, but those only exist in "How to be a PM" books, not irl.

Dongsturm posted:

This topic is really bringing out all the people who think that they are the protagonist.

We're all the protagonist in our own story.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Dongsturm posted:

Oh yeah for sure dude, the people who heaped abuse on someone for having the audacity to *checks notes* apologize for an inconvenience are the ones who are in the right here

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I have an Android and use the Google call screening it offers, either I'll see broken sentences and the word "warranty" or they just instantly hang up if it's a robocall or scammer

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Freaquency posted:

Oh yeah for sure dude, the people who heaped abuse on someone for having the audacity to *checks notes* apologize for an inconvenience are the ones who are in the right here

Your outrage at discovering that people don't want to talk to you is... glorious.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 27, 2022

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Pyrtanis posted:

I have an Android and use the Google call screening it offers, either I'll see broken sentences and the word "warranty" or they just instantly hang up if it's a robocall or scammer

Yeah I assumed this conversation is about the past, callerid stopped most unwanted calls 20 years ago and AI has finished the job.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Dongsturm posted:

Yeah I assumed this conversation is about the past, callerid stopped most unwanted calls 20 years ago and AI has finished the job.

re: pre-AI days, growing up I saw my parents just tell whoever was calling no thank you, have a nice day and they'd hang up. Granted, neither worked night shift, but getting dinner interrupted wasn't the end of the world

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Pyrtanis posted:

re: pre-AI days, growing up I saw my parents just tell whoever was calling no thank you, have a nice day and they'd hang up. Granted, neither worked night shift, but getting dinner interrupted wasn't the end of the world

I do get your point, but after the fourth one most people lost their patience.

This "debate" rattled on for decades but the fact that everyone on the planet now filters out spam calls suggests that several billion people agree with me.

Even the hilariously angry posters above don't claim that they like getting spam calls, they just think that they are special and different.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
If you're calling me unsolicited you've already broken the social contract and whatever I say back is fair game.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The number one way to let everyone know you’re not mad is to make multiple posts calling the other people mad

Like, if you want to find the other poster immature that’s fine (and I kinda agree if that’s the case) but it’s also pretty hosed up to shout obscenities at someone on the phone just because they called with a phone survey.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Freaquency posted:

The number one way to let everyone know you’re not mad is to make multiple posts calling the other people mad

Like, if you want to find the other poster immature that’s fine (and I kinda agree if that’s the case) but it’s also pretty hosed up to shout obscenities at someone on the phone just because they called with a phone survey.

Call me, so I can apologise properly.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dongsturm posted:

Why I say it's a power fantasy because when it comes down to it you haven't and wouldn't do these things. You're not carrying a whistle around just in case you get a cold caller. It's just something that's been made up to make the poster sound cool I guess?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Why I say it's a power fantasy because when it comes down to it you haven't and wouldn't do these things. You're not carrying a whistle around just in case you get a cold caller. It's just something that's been made up to make the poster sound cool I guess?

You got me there, I actually used to just switch the modem on and off. I just didn't want to admit that I knew what a modem was and had owned several.

ed: this sound was sent at full volume - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDS4B0mM-ew

But it's ok because I apologised afterwards, and you can do anything you want with a phone so long as you apologise and then it's actually a good thing.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 27, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pekinduck posted:

If you're calling me unsolicited you've already broken the social contract and whatever I say back is fair game.

Dongsturm posted:

I do get your point, but after the fourth one most people lost their patience.

This "debate" rattled on for decades but the fact that everyone on the planet now filters out spam calls suggests that several billion people agree with me.

Even the hilariously angry posters above don't claim that they like getting spam calls, they just think that they are special and different.

Basically this. Unless you requested a call you're just wasting my time.

I run a charity and we need donations but I don't have people cold calling for donations or harrassing people unsolicited on the street for a reason. If people don't subscribe to my mailing list they don't get emails. If people unsubscribe they don't get emails. If I want to talk to you I'll call you.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nothing you can say to a telemarketer will make them feel any worse than they already do.

Citation: Me, the three month telemarketer.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Do you guys actaully have functional spam blocking in the USA?

In Canada our carriers decided not to bother despite being legally required to, so all of the spam calls use a spoofed number from google that looks real on our end and more than 90% of incoming calls are spam. And I have to answer because it's a business line and if a real person not in my phonebook got my number it's probably urgent and important.

Without fail every single one of these is either scam air duct cleaning services (lucky me for having a 416 number) or scam CRA calls looking for itunes gift cards.

I do actually verbally abuse them to the best of my ability because they are criminals and they also make it impossible for me to literally relax for for more than a couple minutes without interruption.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

evilpicard posted:

Do you guys actually have functional spam blocking in the USA?
Not really. Sometimes phones pick up on "potential spam" rather than the actual phone number, but that only catches like...10% of spam calls or something?

Fortunately, the spammers apparently can't tell where your phone physically resides but only the area code - and that's what they use to spoof the numbers. So if you have an out-of-area phone (e.g., my personal cell still has my original number from the state I used to live in), it's immediately obvious when something is a spam call.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

We don’t have any meaningful spam blocking down in the states either. Unless…

Does anyone else remember those spam calls that came from XXX-XXX-YYYY, where the Xs were the first 6 digits of your phone number? I just realized while typing this post that I haven’t seen one of those in a while.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Does anyone else remember those spam calls that came from XXX-XXX-YYYY, where the Xs were the first 6 digits of your phone number? I just realized while typing this post that I haven’t seen one of those in a while.

I get those constantly. I live out of that area, though, so it's easy to ignore.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, I still get these and ignore them

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

I get those types of things a ton.

Set my iphone to only ring for phone book matches is a perfect system. Everyone else can go to voicemail.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

3 goons and my wife agree: that poo poo still happens. I haven’t gotten one in…a year plus? Hurray my phone number.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It’s amazing I’ve lived through phones being the only way to communicate to being the only way we won’t.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Your all be a lot more relaxed if you were listening to people calling Lenny

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Splicer posted:

Your all be a lot more relaxed if you were listening to people calling Lenny

There's a slight possibility my dad was history's first "Lenny"

Long ago my dad was tired, stressed out, infant Pekinduck was screaming, one of those days. He juggles me and grabs the phone and its a prerecorded spam call for a sketchy/fake charity or something. Something like "SAVE THE CHILDREN NOW CALL 1-800-XXX-XXXX" on loop. He nearly goes on a rampage but decides to do something constructive.

He realizes three things:

1. 800 numbers are obviously free for the caller, but in the 80's were extortionately expensive for the receiving party. Something like 25-50 cents just to connect.

2. He called the 800 number and it wasn't a live person, just another recording and a voicemail box. If you called and immediately hung up they got charged 50 cents and would be none the wiser.

3. Even in the 80's prerecorded telemarketing was already illegal. They couldn't run crying to the police or phone company about any telephone shenanigans aimed at them.

At work he had access to a mainframe computer with a handful of unused modems with dedicated phone lines. He wrote a program to have them all constantly dial the 800 number and let 'er rip. After a few weeks the number was disconnected, probably when they got the bill.

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 28, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They are supposed to be flagged as a virtual phone number by the carriers and blocked if opted in by customers

Unfortunately the CRTC is even more feckless and corrupt than the FTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIR/SHAKEN

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I did get real mad at someone on the phone the other week that i'm pretty sure was legitimate because as far as i can tell there was some deal where west penn power (a first energy company!) has to tell people about their rights to switch to other generators and it's still along the same lines

but anyway one of the companies appears to be just calling anyone with an area code that matches the service area regardless of if there was an account so on call like 5 or so i quit being nice and just phone-loud spoke that i don't have an account do not call me again

i felt unnecessarily aggro but also i haven't had a call about that poo poo in the weeks since so maybe it worked at last

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I wish I got just phone calls. Here in Osaka I get people ringing my intercom to my apartment. I guess next time I should threaten to kill them or something? I've been telling them I don't feel well and hanging up on them like an idiot!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I wish I got just phone calls. Here in Osaka I get people ringing my intercom to my apartment. I guess next time I should threaten to kill them or something? I've been telling them I don't feel well and hanging up on them like an idiot!

Hire some delinquents or Bōsōzoku or Yakuza to solve your problem. You are not using the local resources well enough

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Hire some delinquents or Bōsōzoku or Yakuza to solve your problem. You are not using the local resources well enough

Surely there could be no unforseen consequences...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Escape From Noise posted:

Surely there could be no unforseen consequences...

Maybe they'll stop if you answer in English.