Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

finally i can hug my own posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
is there something diabolically evil about this monitor? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-35-curved-ultrawide-qhd-monitor-with-usb-type-c-connectivity-black/6437477.p?skuId=6437477

im moving from a 2012 or something acer 1080 tn pane and some insanely awful unknown brand 1080 2nd monitor to single ultrawide

i dont do poo poo on the compy anymore cept read and write papers.

many thanks for the consult. sending love

e: my plan is to plug my mouse and kb into this thing and then plug my gamer pc into it and also a macbook air and swappero betwixt them

Smythe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 26, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you plug your keyboard and mouse into the monitor, how would swapping video inputs also swap the kb & mouse?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm trying to calibrate my monitor and I need to know the backlight type, but I can't find that info anywhere. I've looked on the LG website and in the manual, and neither list this info. Is there anywhere else I should look? (LG 27QN600-B)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is it a choice between CCFL and LED? Any modern monitor will be LED

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

If you plug your keyboard and mouse into the monitor, how would swapping video inputs also swap the kb & mouse?

idk the thing says it has a built in usb hub over thunderbolt. thats kinda secondary i guess tho. i can do a lovely kvm or w/e if needed. is the display decent you think?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Josh Lyman posted:

Not sure about that monitor but on my current ultrawide thats how it works. Its because the USB hub in the monitor is also a kvm switch.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

repiv posted:

Is it a choice between CCFL and LED? Any modern monitor will be LED

Wide LED, General LED, GB LED, and CCFL

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

Not sure about that monitor but on my current ultrawide thats how it works. Its because the USB hub in the monitor is also a kvm switch.
But you would have to connect the monitor to the computer via USB-C, right? My understanding is that DP can carry USB signals but might not, and HDMI does not, so you would need some combination of 2 USB-C/DP connections.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Josh Lyman posted:

But you would have to connect the monitor to the computer via USB-C, right? My understanding is that DP can carry USB signals but might not, and HDMI does not, so you would need some combination of 2 USB-C/DP connections.

Yes. You need either one USB-C or one of DP/HDMI + USB A or B. Every monitor I've seen usually wants USB type B if you aren't using a USB-C or Thunderbolt.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 26, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My back has been giving me twinges the last couple days and that image just makes me cringe.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

We have been working remotely two years at this point, and for all that time my coworker has been doing his work on a Raspberry Pi, with a 1080p television, while sitting on his couch. But he has all sorts of masochistic tendencies, what's the fun in doing this if it's too easy. His recents interest are competitive NES Tetris and FM Towns programming.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saukkis posted:

We have been working remotely two years at this point, and for all that time my coworker has been doing his work on a Raspberry Pi, with a 1080p television, while sitting on his couch. But he has all sorts of masochistic tendencies, what's the fun in doing this if it's too easy. His recents interest are competitive NES Tetris and FM Towns programming.

Is your coworker a sentient toaster?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Smythe posted:

is there something diabolically evil about this monitor? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-35-curved-ultrawide-qhd-monitor-with-usb-type-c-connectivity-black/6437477.p?skuId=6437477

im moving from a 2012 or something acer 1080 tn pane and some insanely awful unknown brand 1080 2nd monitor to single ultrawide

e: my plan is to plug my mouse and kb into this thing and then plug my gamer pc into it and also a macbook air and swappero betwixt them

All curved panels are VA so it may have some motion blurring compared to IPS but it's probably fine for most of what you want to do unless you're playing competitive FPSes or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNG2s0yPIDY

I don't think there's a reviewer on youtube that makes videos as to-the-point and dense with details as Vincent Teoh, though it's kind of annoying how he's splitting the pros and cons into two videos, with the cons video not being ready yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 27, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rexxed posted:

All curved panels are VA so it may have some motion blurring compared to IPS but it's probably fine for most of what you want to do unless you're playing competitive FPSes or something.

Princely. Thanks!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rexxed posted:

All curved panels are VA

Untrue. There are curved IPS monitors, in fact most IPS ultrawides are curved. That one is VA and definitely not a good buy for gaming.

I honestly think it's a pretty garbage deal at $600 for anything.

Also I would not have ANY interest in ultrawide for reading/writing. 16:9 is already arguably too wide, 21:9 is definitely too wide. A single 32" 4k is going to cost half that and be superior in every way except for watching ultrawide movies.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

where's my dang 144hz 27" 4K QD-OLED monitor :argh:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNG2s0yPIDY

I don't think there's a reviewer on youtube that makes videos as to-the-point and dense with details as Vincent Teoh, though it's kind of annoying how he's splitting the pros and cons into two videos, with the cons video not being ready yet.

Was literally about to ask for something like this, it's hard to sift through the lazy reviews on Youtube sometimes.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Untrue. There are curved IPS monitors, in fact most IPS ultrawides are curved. That one is VA and definitely not a good buy for gaming.

Also I would not have ANY interest in ultrawide for reading/writing. 16:9 is already arguably too wide, 21:9 is definitely too wide. A single 32" 4k is going to cost half that and be superior in every way except for watching ultrawide movies.

drat no poo poo? i just want a big rear end monitor to provide the literal real estate to have all my poo poo open. you know, like word, pdf book, chrome window with 999 tabs, and like a notepad file. thats why i wanted the ultrawide, just to lay poo poo out kinda big so i can see it with my busted eyeballs. at work i have the ancient 27-inch (2560 × 1440) apple cinema display and a 1080 monitor and it rules. i dunno. i thought that the m1 apples (not pro) could only do 1 monitor so i thought to convert from 2 monitors to 1 super large one. not sure how to describe it but im not too crazy about pixel density since my eyes dont work for poo poo anyways (not like blind or anything but for example i read the forums at 125%) so i was interested in just bigitude, real estate.

would it be better to do the 32" ? they seem really cool and also really cheap? wtf?

i literally do not care about gaming like at all

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I got very used to a single 32" 4K USB-C monitor when I got my work M1. On an arm to get it decently close, with Rectangle installed, I was able to use it as 4 16" 1080P monitors and it works really well for me. I think it is substantially better than the 34 ultrawides I used previously.

I use an M1 Pro now and still keep the setup. Mine's a Lenovo ThinkVision P32p-20. It's great but not really recommended due to price, work gets massive discounts.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

K8.0 posted:

Yeah I should've said all the cheap curved panels, which is most of what I see.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Smythe posted:

drat no poo poo? i just want a big rear end monitor to provide the literal real estate to have all my poo poo open. you know, like word, pdf book, chrome window with 999 tabs, and like a notepad file. thats why i wanted the ultrawide, just to lay poo poo out kinda big so i can see it with my busted eyeballs. at work i have the ancient 27-inch (2560 × 1440) apple cinema display and a 1080 monitor and it rules. i dunno. i thought that the m1 apples (not pro) could only do 1 monitor so i thought to convert from 2 monitors to 1 super large one. not sure how to describe it but im not too crazy about pixel density since my eyes dont work for poo poo anyways (not like blind or anything but for example i read the forums at 125%) so i was interested in just bigitude, real estate.

would it be better to do the 32" ? they seem really cool and also really cheap? wtf?

imo the king of setups is one primary high resolution, one video panel and one in portrait orientation. for reading in particular imo nothing beats it and it's probably cheaper than an ultrawide, although i bet the running costs are higher. you can get monitors on facebook market or craigslist or whatever for cheap and decent 3 arm stands aren't too expensive either.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sphyre posted:

where's my dang 144hz 27" 4K QD-OLED monitor :argh:
:same:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CoolCab posted:

imo the king of setups is one primary high resolution, one video panel and one in portrait orientation. for reading in particular imo nothing beats it and it's probably cheaper than an ultrawide, although i bet the running costs are higher. you can get monitors on facebook market or craigslist or whatever for cheap and decent 3 arm stands aren't too expensive either.
you need a massive desk for that

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Smythe posted:

32" 16:9 is 5% more area than 34" 21:9, and 4k is 67% more pixels than ultrawide 1440p. And it costs less, because 4k is a much more standardized resolution. So yes, I would say for your application it makes more sense. Like CoolCab I'd encourage you to have a second monitor if you can.

A 32" VA is the cheapest option, and it will come with the VA downside of not looking good if you move your head left or right, but for the price for what you're talking about they're hard to beat. 32" 4k IPS is so far much less common and around $450+.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Smythe posted:

We almost got this (at Costco it's 499) for my girls office pc but decided against it because the va panel isn't really that impressive. Basically, there's better monitors for office stuff at 499 and there's better 144hz gaming monitors for not much more. We ended up getting her an LG 32 IPS 75hz panel for 199 and well use the 300 bucks on something better down the line. The 32 in ips LG really is that much better in person but it's not curved so whatever. I'll get the model number for you if you want. This was it https://www.costco.com/lg-32%22-class-qhd-ips-monitor.product.100793227.html

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 28, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just pulled the triggered on the Alienware QD-OLED - I'm going to try to find a way to mount it as-is and my current 27" in portrait mode

Pretty hyped about having an OLED as a desktop monitor after seeing some of the reviews

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Shipon posted:

you need a massive desk for that

nah, mine overhang the sides

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

shrike82 posted:

Just pulled the triggered on the Alienware QD-OLED - I'm going to try to find a way to mount it as-is and my current 27" in portrait mode

Pretty hyped about having an OLED as a desktop monitor after seeing some of the reviews

really curious how it holds up after a year's use.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, Dell's burn-in protection warranty means you don't have to worry about it. Abuse the gently caress out of the display, and if it burns in, make Dell replace it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
sure, i'm just interested in the tech, whether they actually mitigated burn-in enough that it's not a concern.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i wonder if part of the increased longevity won't also just be down to having a single colour oled diode running things

wrt the new samsung panels like in the alienware i'm very curious to see if people take issue with the subpixel layout causing colour fringing / weird lines, etc

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone else with a gigabyte M32U have the monitor go black for about a second after clicking on the screen after you've turned HDR off? Like up to minutes later? Or alt-tabbing in/out of things on that monitor?

I feel like it's more to do with the fact I'm using it as a USB hub with the monitor KVM tech but it's starting to get really annoying.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Anyone know what the "Premium Color" profile is in the latest MSI asdf-QD firmware update is? Since there are already plenty of profiles available.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm looking for a monitor recommendation.

I really love the idea of a monitor with a built in webcam, mic and speakers. But a lot of them I see on Amazon still involve running separate HDMI & USB cables to your laptop. Which means that when you go from docked to undocked, you have to unplug several cables.

Apple makes displays that provide power and everything all over the single USB-C but obviously you pay the Apple tax for that.

Are there any monitors out there that have all that built in, and only require you connect one cable to your computer? Or do I have to settle for a separate docking station?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

dexter6 posted:

I'm looking for a monitor recommendation.

I really love the idea of a monitor with a built in webcam, mic and speakers. But a lot of them I see on Amazon still involve running separate HDMI & USB cables to your laptop. Which means that when you go from docked to undocked, you have to unplug several cables.

Apple makes displays that provide power and everything all over the single USB-C but obviously you pay the Apple tax for that.

Are there any monitors out there that have all that built in, and only require you connect one cable to your computer? Or do I have to settle for a separate docking station?

Something like this seems to do the trick: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1622735-REG/lenovo_62a9gar1us_27_thinkvision_20_hdmi.html

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
My Dell U2312HM from way back is dying and I need a replacement. I'm looking at this Samsung, is it ok? It's suspiciously cheap around here. The Dell has been perfect for my gaming needs (Crusader Kings, Factorio, Civ mostly) but I've been into photography lately and wouldn't want to downgrade on image quality. Not that I need anything professional level for that either. I'm limited on size by my desktop setup and 27" monitor would not fit. I also like the usb ports and height adjustment.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CoolCab posted:

apple m1 non-pro can only support 1 external monitor....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

K8.0 posted:

32" 16:9 is 5% more area than 34" 21:9, and 4k is 67% more pixels than ultrawide 1440p. And it costs less, because 4k is a much more standardized resolution. So yes, I would say for your application it makes more sense. Like CoolCab I'd encourage you to have a second monitor if you can.

A 32" VA is the cheapest option, and it will come with the VA downside of not looking good if you move your head left or right, but for the price for what you're talking about they're hard to beat. 32" 4k IPS is so far much less common and around $450+.

maniacripper posted:

We almost got this (at Costco it's 499) for my girls office pc but decided against it because the va panel isn't really that impressive. Basically, there's better monitors for office stuff at 499 and there's better 144hz gaming monitors for not much more. We ended up getting her an LG 32 IPS 75hz panel for 199 and well use the 300 bucks on something better down the line. The 32 in ips LG really is that much better in person but it's not curved so whatever. I'll get the model number for you if you want. This was it https://www.costco.com/lg-32%22-class-qhd-ips-monitor.product.100793227.html

many thanks for this! :tipshat: