Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

i have to do a rather extreme version of salt reduction (<= 1500mg a day) but it's surprisingly easy once you start tracking it and cut out the worst offenders. you miss it a lot the first couple months and then your palate adjusts. there are a lot more low/no salt products on the market now too.

I suppose most low-salt foods are ok but low-sodium soup tastes like a bowl of dirty dishwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zerg Mans posted:

It would rule to be an 1890s doctor. Just going around fingerblasting the upper class with no formal education

Here, just take a swig of this cocaine and opiate concoction and you'll feel right as rain!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

CPU Abuser posted:

That chart you posted, the one I quoted above, displaying proportions of the different variants in Washington State, was marvelous.

Where exactly did you find it? I've been over the Washington State DoH website, and I've never seen anything like it there.

Or did you generate it?

I generated it. Compiled sequencing and PCR case data from GISAID (only those sampled from WA state) and WA DoH, respectively. Pulled out variants of note, topped it all off in an Excel stacked area graph.

There's enough data to do the graph by day rather than week, but by week is easier to digest and maintain.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I suppose most low-salt foods are ok but low-sodium soup tastes like a bowl of dirty dishwater

the canned stuff is awful but you can make your own pretty easy with low salt stock and it’ll taste fine

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ah cool my coworker who enters my office regularly unmasked is sick with covid. And now my throat hurts.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Here, just take a swig of this cocaine and opiate concoction and you'll feel right as rain!

my dad talks about how when he was a kid with the flu, grandma would give him a spoonful of paregoric and put him under a massive quilt, then 18 hours later he’d wake up feeling great. the 60s were a marvelous time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

my dad talks about how when he was a kid with the flu, grandma would give him a spoonful of paregoric and put him under a massive quilt, then 18 hours later he’d wake up feeling great. the 60s were a marvelous time.

According to my mother, when I was 3 years old and going in to get my tonsils removed, the doctor used cocaine as a local anesthetic. Apparently I was insufferable afterwards.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

RandomBlue posted:

Your four humors are unbalanced and you have ghosts in your blood, open queen victoria

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
For those struggling to replace salt, I discovered spicy fills the gap in the palate rather nicely.

The only problem is I'm learning some of my favorite spicy subs have a ton of sodium. Looking at you gochujang and sriracha

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ah cool my coworker who enters my office regularly unmasked is sick with covid. And now my throat hurts.

Shoot. Hope you dodge it but maybe a good time to start taking it very easy anyway.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
I haven't been paying much attention to Covid recently, but am I right in assuming that the recent lifting of restrictions is just Capital relegating further covid deaths to the Cost of Doing Business? Like, in addition to all the ways Capital already kills people, now it kills people with Covid and that's how it's gonna be?

I'm also going to assume that anyone not wearing a mask in a public space can be safely assumed to be a plague carrier with lib-brain disease.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

For those struggling to replace salt, I discovered spicy fills the gap in the palate rather nicely.

The only problem is I'm learning some of my favorite spicy subs have a ton of sodium. Looking at you gochujang and sriracha

Tabasco has 35mg of sodium per tsp cf. sriracha's 100mg, which makes it a decent substitute.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

emTme3 posted:

I haven't been paying much attention to Covid recently, but am I right in assuming that the recent lifting of restrictions is just Capital relegating further covid deaths to the Cost of Doing Business? Like, in addition to all the ways Capital already kills people, now it kills people with Covid and that's how it's gonna be?

I'm also going to assume that anyone not wearing a mask in a public space can be safely assumed to be a plague carrier with lib-brain disease.

Yes and yes. An extra 500,000 Americans will die every year, most of them elderly, and Social Security will save trillions.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Chamale posted:

Yes and yes. An extra 500,000 Americans will die every year, most of them elderly, and Social Security will save trillions.

You mean ONLY and extra 500,000 Americans as opposed to the millions who would die under lockdown due to sadness so we're doing nothing but winning here.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!
alot of people seem to be popping hot on at home rapid tests on twitter, never saw it at this frequency iirc :stare: stay safe goons

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Chamale posted:

The good news is that you don't have to worry about your retirement as much anymore.

The bad news is that you never really did.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
And let's not forget about the long term disabilities and the mysterious heart attacks and strokes, covid got more tricks than just death and it doesn't get enough credit for all the hard work it puts in

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Working harder than Biden at least

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
not a fan of covid, but

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

tenderjerk posted:

alot of people seem to be popping hot on at home rapid tests on twitter, never saw it at this frequency iirc :stare: stay safe goons

It's here.

Fasten your elastomeres good and tight, Max those titers, stack the beans, pray to whatever you worship and get ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpaFE6_nDJw

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
You do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to covid”

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

I never remember Dr pender looking younger than like 70 so he was probably trained in the 50s.

Same doctors office just completely ignored all the clear signs of abuse on my siblings and I. Spare the rod spoil the child.

Edit: lol holy gently caress I just looked and he's still practicing what the gently caress

Lmao

Jesus, I'm sorry.

What a picture. He looks exactly as I'd expect (like Tweety Bird and Beavis).

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Washington state question: how are you all getting more than four shots? Have any of you all managed to do tye fake name trick at any pharmacy here in WA state, due to the electronic tracking etc?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Whoolighams posted:

Re: exercise chat, I got a pair of threaded/screw-on dumbbells made to load with standard plates but I've been eyeing an adjustable set. Any recommendations?

I'm really happy with these.
https://powerblock.com/product/elite-series/

(Only small complaint is that the advertised 2.5 lb increment creates a minor center of gravity issue due to asymmetry.)

I was lucky enough to jump on a free shipping deal, but there are other models on Amazon and at Dick's too that might be a bit cheaper and where you might not have to pay for shipping (fwiw, Amazon seems to have an issue with accidentally only shipping one dumbbell sometimes).

Here's a good guide that compares a bunch of the different models.
https://www.kingofthegym.com/powerblock-dumbbells/

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Let's go co-vid. (clap, clap, clap-y, clap)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zugzwang posted:

You do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to covid”

You do, it exploited the right multicellular organism, a real decadent and dumb species. COVID thrives

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

When I was three years old my parents took me to a new doctor. He sterilized whatever he was going to look in my throat with with a lighter (what the hell) and I thought it was going to burn my mouth. He told me if I didn't open my mouth and stop fidgeting he'd never let me see my parents again.

Greg Legg posted:

What the gently caress

Until relatively recently, the American medical profession believed children did not acquire a sense of pain until 5 or 6.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

bedpan posted:

Until relatively recently, the American medical profession believed children did not acquire a sense of pain until 5 or 6.

https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1516047113

quote:

We examine whether this racial bias is related to false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites (e.g., “black people’s skin is thicker than white people’s skin”).
(..)
Study 2 extended these findings to the medical context and found that half of a sample of white medical students and residents endorsed these beliefs.

50% of medical students sampled in 2016 thought that black people have fewer nerve endings or thicker skin or better eyesight than white people

Johnny Cache Hit has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Mar 28, 2022

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
“No no...the omicron wave gave us ~natural antibodies~!”

Cornell: :kheldragar:

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
it's been a few weeks of going to the gym wearing my elastomeric and I haven't gotten sick despite everyone being maskless

in respirator I trust

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ham Cheeks posted:

it's been a few weeks of going to the gym wearing my elastomeric and I haven't gotten sick despite everyone being maskless

in respirator I trust

yeah folks aren't wearing them just for kicks, they work really well lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Holy crap. Politifact got one mostly right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cases have leveled off in the US for 2 weeks now

...... and you know what that means!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Holy crap. Politifact got one mostly right.

thank god its over!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cases have leveled off in the US for 2 weeks now

...... and you know what that means!

They leveled off because we stopped testing because covid is over

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
“If we stop testing right now, we’d have very few cases.” - Donald J. TrumpJoseph R. Biden

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

tenderjerk posted:

They leveled off because we stopped testing because covid is over

and cases are still 3x higher than last summer's low point. doing great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nocturtle posted:

Shoot. Hope you dodge it but maybe a good time to start taking it very easy anyway.

Thanks, my throat seems to swell up any time I think I'm exposed so hopefully just phantom symptoms.

Getting exposed all the time these days.