Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tenderjerk posted:

They leveled off because we stopped testing because covid is over

True. The cases simply can't keep going back up every time, this has to be our lucky break!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4adxJxqZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol friend of mind who's company is based in Boston

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
some US and Korea comparison napkin math

US reported an average of 810,000 cases/day around their peak Jan 15. Deaths peaked around April 5 at 2650/day. So the death rate is around 0.32% which makes it about 1/5 of the old pre-vaccine death rate of 1.7%. Big improvement! But still horrible in the end considering how many more got infected by omicron

Korea is currently at average 360 deaths/day, reflecting 200,000 infections 3 weeks ago. That’s a death rate of 0.18%, one tenth the US pre-vaccine death rate and twice as good as the current US death rate. Probably thanks to the much better vaccination rate. Korea peaked at 600,000 infections on March 15 so we can expect 1100 average deaths/day on April 7

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
From Covid ♫
With love ♫
I die for you
Much sicker ♫
Since mask ♫ mandates ♫ were through
I've flattened the curve ♫
To learn
I must
Return
To Covid
With love ♫

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ah turns out three people of about 12 in the office are sick today with covid symptoms. We're a skeleton crew at the best of times for a business that does like $2 million in sales per month as it is so surely won't be catastrophic.

This is the second time since January that covid has wiped us out. But that covid zero policy we had in 2020/21 was bad for the economy!!!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
it’s loving exhausting explaining to idiots that had COVID and are still sick that this thing called long COVID exists, and even more exhausting trying to explain to these fucks that not everyone has the same loving symptoms.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ah turns out three people of about 12 in the office are sick today with covid symptoms. We're a skeleton crew at the best of times for a business that does like $2 million in sales per month as it is so surely won't be catastrophic.
I hope you don’t become number 4 soon!

Does your country have ridiculous 5-day quarantining like the US?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pillowpants posted:

it’s loving exhausting explaining to idiots that had COVID and are still sick that this thing called long COVID exists, and even more exhausting trying to explain to these fucks that not everyone has the same loving symptoms.

you're trying to tell me that a virus which has been shown to do damage to literally every single organ and system in the human body with wild variations in severity could have different effects in different people? sounds fake idk.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You only poz twice
or so it seems
one on P.C.R.
and one R.A.T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzHmYOQFmK8

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zugzwang posted:

I hope you don’t become number 4 soon!

Does your country have ridiculous 5-day quarantining like the US?

You have to isolate for 7 days, down from 14, but now only if you test positive instead of symptoms, and the government ended the $750 payment they did for isolation as well a few weeks ago.

Covid is overrrr

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

you're trying to tell me that a virus which has been shown to do damage to literally every single organ and system in the human body with wild variations in severity could have different effects in different people? sounds fake idk.

Jesus Christ. why haven’t we been hit by an asteroid yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phrasing!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/marcellacomedy/status/1508244529635225602

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Unusual_Times/status/1508032638044549128

absolutely bricking myself with fear, like a dog

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Pillowpants posted:

Jesus Christ. why haven’t we been hit by an asteroid yet.

I’m sure if it was up to humans to keep asteroids at bay we would have by now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darwin would be proud.

Never before have we observed evolution with such vigor.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

me all day erry day

Platystemon posted:

Darwin would be proud.

It's so cool and terrifying!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

me in my respirator, don’t @me

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Darwin would be proud.

If SARS-CoV-2 came from bats, why are there still bats?

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"
China looks rough.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

Still loling that in like 1992 my brother at 12 started smoking so my mom took him to the pediatrician to figure out what the gently caress to do.

Pediatrician shoved a bunch of nicotine patches on him and said the sickness he would get would cure him

Spoiler alert: it didn't. He puked and then stole another pack of cigs.

wow this is sick as hell in a few ways

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

some US and Korea comparison napkin math

US reported an average of 810,000 cases/day around their peak Jan 15. Deaths peaked around April 5 at 2650/day. So the death rate is around 0.32% which makes it about 1/5 of the old pre-vaccine death rate of 1.7%. Big improvement! But still horrible in the end considering how many more got infected by omicron

Korea is currently at average 360 deaths/day, reflecting 200,000 infections 3 weeks ago. That’s a death rate of 0.18%, one tenth the US pre-vaccine death rate and twice as good as the current US death rate. Probably thanks to the much better vaccination rate. Korea peaked at 600,000 infections on March 15 so we can expect 1100 average deaths/day on April 7

I had just read in a, poorly auto-translated, article that they only really count deaths if they happen while in a hospital under treatment, if they get discharged and die they are not counted.

Then there was a second article about coffin makers running out of wood and supplies and well I think it is much worse here than the numbers show, as is the global norm currently.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pillowpants posted:

Yeah, I've got an idiot friend that wasn't boosted yet and got covid with mild symptoms a few weeks back then recovered and flew to Vegas like a week later. Then he recently had a sleep study done and needs oxygen at night now even though he doesn't have sleep apnea.

I told him long covid sucks and his response was "it's not that, I didn't get covid pneumonia". That's not how this works at all buddy.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

has this been posted yet?
Perspectives: The “Wolf” Is Indeed Coming: Recombinant “Deltacron” SARS-CoV-2 Detected

quote:

“Deltacron” Is Just the Beginning

With the advent of “Deltacron,” further concerns are coming. According to our preliminary analysis on the first “Deltacron” genome, recombination event only occurs in S gene. However, recombination events involving all types of genes encoded by CoVs have been found in nature (13). Consequently, the genetic recombination events involving other genes and/or the combination of other genes would also occur with high probability. Furthermore, the genetic recombination event of “Deltacron” occurs at the inter-lineage level, that is the parents of the “Deltacron” came from different lineages of the same species (AY.4 and BA.1), respectively. We could speculate that cross-species recombination events would be also appeared in future for the following reasons. First, the variety of host types of CoVs has resulted in its wide distribution throughout the world (14) and SARS-CoV-2 has spread all over the world. Second, several species of mammals other than humans have been infected by SARS-CoV-2 in nature, and many more species have been shown to be susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 (15). In addition, the spillover events of SARS-CoV-2 between humans and animals in both directions (for example transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from humans to minks and then back to humans and further community transmission) (16-17) have been found in nature. Taken together, the probability of co-infection with SARS-CoV-2 and other types of CoVs or even other viruses in a single host would be high, leading to the occurrence of cross-species recombination with high probability. Therefore, it is difficult to predict which viral species SARS-CoV-2 will recombine with, and on which genes future recombination will occur. This kind of uncertainty is doomed to increase the likelihood of generating a novel recombinant virus with unknown risk to humans.

I'm excited to see how this turns out.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

China looks rough.

it’s at 1200, down from a peak of 3300 about a week ago. BA.2 was always going to be a struggle, but cases declining is a good sign

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I thought about posting that thing on Deltacron in the OP the other day but I opted for just posting :negative: instead

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Also is it appropriate to post about covid 21in the covid 19 thread? Don’t want to go off topic.

e: covid 22?

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

FrancisFukyomama posted:

it’s at 1200, down from a peak of 3300 about a week ago. BA.2 was always going to be a struggle, but cases declining is a good sign

Kind of. It's been flat at around 1300 for three days, not declining. Maybe locking down Shanghai will help, but they're doing it in stages.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, I've got an idiot friend that wasn't boosted yet and got covid with mild symptoms a few weeks back then recovered and flew to Vegas like a week later. Then he recently had a sleep study done and needs oxygen at night now even though he doesn't have sleep apnea.

I told him long covid sucks and his response was "it's not that, I didn't get covid pneumonia". That's not how this works at all buddy.

Ultimately this is the CDC's fault. They're saying PASC is under study while heavily implying it's not a thing and people should free to ditch masks. Can't blame individuals for failing to understand the risks when the actual public health authority is all but denying them.

The CDC messaging is really gross too as it's obvious they know the real deal wrt PASC but are being careful not to show it. They've made sure to leave themselves lots of plausible deniability that they couldn't have known the risks as they were still under study, it's not their fault the studies took a long time. Also technically they never actually said people should stop wearing masks, just that they weren't necessary to prevent severe disease cases from overwhelming the hospital systems when cases were low. Not their fault if people interpreted that as permission to abandon NPIs. It's intentional negligence.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Here's a graph

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...country=HKG~CHN

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Chris Rock took that bitchslap from Will Smith pretty well - looks like COVID ain't anything to worry about. :smugbert:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

In this household we are for the jobs that the asteroid will provide.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
coronavirus

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I was accepting a delivery and I was rushed so I didn't grab a mask. Usually I just tell them to put the delivery down and I'll grab it when they leave anyway so it shouldn't matter, but this maskless dude just rushes me with the package and gets super close to push it into my hands while talking rapidly.

It was 4 days ago though so I think I'm good but drat I'm never leaving the house without a mask again.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
lol that my job says that tomorrow is the mandatory everybody should be in office day, just in time for the explosion.

I'm currently planning to handle it by ignoring them and hoping I get a different job before anyone notices.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

You do, it exploited the right multicellular organism, a real decadent and dumb species. COVID thrives

imagining a covid molecule instead of that dumbass fox saying chaos reigns

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

covid is over!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shiroc posted:

lol that my job says that tomorrow is the mandatory everybody should be in office day, just in time for the explosion.

I'm currently planning to handle it by ignoring them and hoping I get a different job before anyone notices.

same but Tuesday :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Industrial Safety Products has 9210+s listed as in stock. I found out my terrible job will pay for my masks after I got them to reimburse my 440 9205s, so I think I'm up for some more.